What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Do-it-yourself Haze

OldCoolSativa

When I ran some Early Queen, Early Haze and U2 outdoors a couple years ago, the plants didn't start to form buds until around August 20th, which at my latitude translates to about 13.5 hours of daylight. That middle girl's an Outback Haze F2, and I hope she produces a cola like her mother did. What I'm really wishing for is that one of those F2s might be a throwback to either NH21 or to Hempy's Thai. I'm hopeful because the sire of these F2s exhibited that alternating-single-leaf-sticking-out-of-the-main-cola trait that Hempy says is a characteristic of his Thai. Then again, I'm always hopeful! :)

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I ran some Early Queen, Early Haze and U2 outdoors a couple years ago, the plants didn't start to form buds until around August 20th, which at my latitude translates to about 13.5 hours of daylight. That middle girl's an Outback Haze F2, and I hope she produces a cola like her mother did. What I'm really wishing for is that one of those F2s might be a throwback to either NH21 or to Hempy's Thai. I'm hopeful because the sire of these F2s exhibited that alternating-single-leaf-sticking-out-of-the-main-cola trait that Hempy says is a characteristic of his Thai. Then again, I'm always hopeful! :)
Bro there no Outback Haze F2 , they were Feminized seeds the Outback Haze , yours was the Outback Haze x Nevil Haze 21 x Mullumbimby Madness seeds I sent you ( which I named later to Australian Outback as to not confuse with Nevil's own pure Outback Haze) so would be better if you called it Australian Outback F2 as people are reading you have Outback Haze F2 which you dont.

Maria Sanchez

Helpful, thank you.

My mid-summer is already about 13.5 hrs, but the Early Queen, Early Haze and U2 have a fair amount of indica in them.
For reference, my Lemon 'n' Lime Jones has just been on slow flower over the whole summer, and I'm thinking she must be about 25-35% indica from both sides.

But my sativas haven't started yet.
I have some ThaiFrican crosses (to a Grail project mother) that have Outback Haze 2 in them, with the Hempy's Thai. They showed sex back in like May or something, but then they've mostly put out 3 and 5 leaflet leaves since then, despite definitely being in veg, not flower. They sure look like they may just throw 3 and 1 leaflet leaves all the way up the colas when they flower.
Both my revegged SSSTN and revegged Grail project (NvHz 18 x Mullum X NvHz 21 x Mullumb long) went to full 7 and 9 leaflet leaves during the summer, but no signs of flowering yet.
One of my SSSTN girls first time around was also 1 leaflet leaves right up the main cola for about 18" or so. Maybe it's a Thai thing.

I want them all to flower soon, as they're getting bigger than I planned for!

OldCoolSativa

Bro there no Outback Haze F2 , they were Feminized seeds the Outback Haze , yours was the Outback Haze x Nevil Haze 21 x Mullumbimby Madness seeds I sent you ( which I named later to Australian Outback as to not confuse with Nevil's own pure Outback Haze) so would be better if you called it Australian Outback F2 as people are reading you have Outback Haze F2 which you dont.
I shortened the name down to Outback Haze because Outback haze #1 x (NH21 x MML) was getting pretty cumbersome to type out. Good move it calling Australian Outback and you are correct, what I'm growing are Australian Outback F2s from your #1 primal pheno Outback Haze mother. I hope that mother is alive and well. I did not mean to imply I had access to any of Nevil's Outback Haze plants, just a good expression of one.

OldCoolSativa

Helpful, thank you.

My mid-summer is already about 13.5 hrs, but the Early Queen, Early Haze and U2 have a fair amount of indica in them.
For reference, my Lemon 'n' Lime Jones has just been on slow flower over the whole summer, and I'm thinking she must be about 25-35% indica from both sides.

But my sativas haven't started yet.
I have some ThaiFrican crosses (to a Grail project mother) that have Outback Haze 2 in them, with the Hempy's Thai. They showed sex back in like May or something, but then they've mostly put out 3 and 5 leaflet leaves since then, despite definitely being in veg, not flower. They sure look like they may just throw 3 and 1 leaflet leaves all the way up the colas when they flower.
Both my revegged SSSTN and revegged Grail project (NvHz 18 x Mullum X NvHz 21 x Mullumb long) went to full 7 and 9 leaflet leaves during the summer, but no signs of flowering yet.
One of my SSSTN girls first time around was also 1 leaflet leaves right up the main cola for about 18" or so. Maybe it's a Thai thing.

I want them all to flower soon, as they're getting bigger than I planned for!
I just checked the colas on the Australian Outback F2s, and they're showing 3-leaf triplets so far. Others here know a lot more about Thai genetics than I do, but I've read from several sources that the 1-leaflet leaves are a tell of something that is close to or derived from Thai Stick.

I plant tiny sativa or haze seedlings outside in late June so they don't get too big. Despite that, they get too big. :)

Rocket Soul

I just checked the colas on the Australian Outback F2s, and they're showing 3-leaf triplets so far. Others here know a lot more about Thai genetics than I do, but I've read from several sources that the 1-leaflet leaves are a tell of something that is close to or derived from Thai Stick.

I plant tiny sativa or haze seedlings outside in late June so they don't get too big. Despite that, they get too big. :)
Hey OCS, really like the DIY genetics approach, i do my own led lighting so i really appreciate the apporach :)
Have you considered adding some UV to your indoor? Weve had great results with it, both in quality and its also rumoured to mature plants a bit faster though i cant really say for myself; we work with 9 weeks maximum for comercial so its hard to notice any speeding up effects in our grow. But it just seems like a shame to breed with this kind of unique genetics without having all the gear to get the most out of the plants potential.
One of my old school buddies breeds with some old school genetics ( a lot of his gear went into the spanish Delicatessen seedbank) and he swears by breeding under full UV supplement.

Do you notice a lot of difference between your outdoor and indoor in quality? Do you run the same cuts both indoor and outdoor?
Thx for showing off your beautiful project :)

OldCoolSativa

Have you considered adding some UV to your indoor? Weve had great results with it, both in quality and its also rumoured to mature plants a bit faster though i cant really say for myself; we work with 9 weeks maximum for comercial so its hard to notice any speeding up effects in our grow. But it just seems like a shame to breed with this kind of unique genetics without having all the gear to get the most out of the plants potential.
One of my old school buddies breeds with some old school genetics ( a lot of his gear went into the spanish Delicatessen seedbank) and he swears by breeding under full UV supplement.

Do you notice a lot of difference between your outdoor and indoor in quality? Do you run the same cuts both indoor and outdoor?
None of the sativas or hazes I grow outdoors at 42N stand a chance of finishing, so it's impossible to make a fair comparison of outdoor vs indoor in my case. I usually do a couple plants every year just for kicks and to make some seed. That said, I still have a couple pounds of the NH x THH that I grew outdoors last year and despite harvesting in early November, the weed is very potent. That weed, from seed made by @MAHA KALA and given to me by @flower~power as clones of his #1 and #3 plants, was exceptional when grown indoors. It's the kind of weed against which all weed should be compared IMO.

I understand that the Colombian outdoor environment includes a lot of UV that isn't replicated in my light setup, but I don't care to fuck around with UV for a few reasons. First, my father died from melanoma complications and I had a melanoma removed from my back 20 years ago. If I had waited another few months to have it looked at I'm certain I'd be long dead at this point. Also, the UV light degrades everything from the tent fabric to the insulation on the wiring of my home-built LED COBs. And I haven't even discussed what UV can do to one's eyesight. No thanks.

Last year I had terrible results when I tried using commercial "full-spectrum" LEDs to grow...my plants looked terrible and finished way faster than they should have. Now there were certainly other environmental factors at play, like the soil and the quality of the (HEPA-filtered) air in my basement, but this round I switched back to my 3700K and 3000K COBs and things are looking good again.

Rocket Soul

None of the sativas or hazes I grow outdoors at 42N stand a chance of finishing, so it's impossible to make a fair comparison of outdoor vs indoor in my case. I usually do a couple plants every year just for kicks and to make some seed. That said, I still have a couple pounds of the NH x THH that I grew outdoors last year and despite harvesting in early November, the weed is very potent. That weed, from seed made by @MAHA KALA and given to me by @flower~power as clones of his #1 and #3 plants, was exceptional when grown indoors. It's the kind of weed against which all weed should be compared IMO.

I understand that the Colombian outdoor environment includes a lot of UV that isn't replicated in my light setup, but I don't care to fuck around with UV for a few reasons. First, my father died from melanoma complications and I a melanoma removed from my back 20 years ago. If I had waited another few months to have it looked at I'm certain I'd be long dead at this point. Also, the UV light degrades everything from the tent fabric to the insulation on the wiring of my home-built LED COBs.

Last year I had terrible results when I tried using commercial "full-spectrum" LEDs to grow...my plants looked terrible and finished way faster than they should have. Now there were certainly other environmental factors at play, like the soil and the quality of the (HEPA-filtered) air in my basement, but this round I switched back to my 3700K and 3000K COBs and things are looking good again.
Ouch, thats about the best argument ive heard against uv leds ever. Glad you caught it in time. I do however recommend you have a look at the lowest side of the par range; you can gain heaps of quality by filling out the range between 450 and 400nm with leds and all of that range is harmless to the skin and gear, its technically violet all though people seem to refer to it as uv. It just feels like a pity to have those fantastic genetics and not try to take them to their full genetic expression.
I can guarantee you to notice the difference, i get people to do blind test between "good bud" and "plain bud" and not once have anybody failed to identify which is which. Ymmv :)

Full spectrum/blurple is obviously going to fare even worse, they only cover a small fraction of the plant reactive spectrum, 450 and 660nm.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I shortened the name down to Outback Haze because Outback haze #1 x (NH21 x MML) was getting pretty cumbersome to type out. Good move it calling Australian Outback and you are correct, what I'm growing are Australian Outback F2s from your #1 primal pheno Outback Haze mother. I hope that mother is alive and well. I did not mean to imply I had access to any of Nevil's Outback Haze plants, just a good expression of one.
I only hit you up as several other people/breeders were calling Outback Haze x NL just Outback Haze and I don't want people thinking I'm saying I had pure Regular seeds of Outback Haze.

You did an incredible job/show for us of those Nevil hybrid project seeds I made/sent you 🙏 🫡 , anytime you ever want any seeds to run hit me up , will be an honour to see another show with a skilled Sativa grower as yourself , these wild girls aint easy but you did a killer job on them .

I'm definitely going to get into some of the seeds you sent me 🙏 of my seeds x yours.

Look forward to watching this new run your doing now

OldCoolSativa

9 Weeks

After 9 weeks of 12/12 the indoor haze plants are in early-mid flower. Some of the pistils are transitioning from pure white to creamy. The aromas are still developing.

(NhzPhz) x punto rojo
082224 NhzPhzxPR.jpg

082224 NhzPhzxPR cola.jpg

Australian Outback Haze x Angeldorado
082224 AOHxAD.jpg

Australian Outback Haze F2 a

082224 AOH F2 a.jpg

Australian Outback Haze F2 b
082224 AOH F2 b.jpg

082224 AOH F2 b cola.jpg

Australian Outback Haze F2 c
082224 AOH F2 c.jpg

082224 AOH F2 c cola.jpg

Attachments

• 082224 AOH F2 c cola.jpg
    082224 AOH F2 c cola.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

OldCoolSativa

12 Weeks

The haze girls are doing well. I haven't noticed anything special about the aromas or bud structure from the Australian Outback haze F2s, which makes me think the male I used wasn't a superstar, but we won't know for sure until after the smoke test. Similarly for the Australian Outback haze x puntodorado. It looks to me like the puntodorado male I selected is bringing more WLD than I want.

The clear standout of this haze grow is this lovely specemin of NH x THH x punto rojo. Outrageous, feral-looking fenotrigo bud structure. Aromas and sticky resin just like mom. I just seeded a couple branches last night so she'll go a full 16 weeks to let the seeds ripen, but that's pretty quick for a primal sativa like this girl.

(NhzPhz) x punto rojo
091124 NhzPhzxPR.jpg

091124 NhzPhzxPR cola2.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts