What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

DIESEL GENERATOR, (as your primary power source)

G

Anyone got any links or info on fuel tanks. Please feel free to post info. I'm looking into two types. The big 550 gallon tank and the normal Heating oil tank which is 275 gallons. Thinking about the 275 gallon, so there isn't anyone thinking anything but heating oil. Any idea's anyone? I've also came across these nice plastic dress up units. That also double as a leak catch tray. So, if there is a leak. They plastic unit saves all the fuel and doesn't leak out onto the ground. Keep the info rolling
Take care,
BG

Last edited:
G

Here's what i've found for fuel tanks

Here is the normal 500-550 gallon tank. I'm thinking I'll most likely end up with one of these from Northern tools. $850 bucks from Northern Tools

This plastic safety tube. Is in case there is a leak or a spill. It will contain the full amount of fuel and there is no lost of fuel or a bad nasty spill that might effect the area.

Next you will see a unit used for the normal 275 gallon home oil tanks. Same idea, saftey and no spills. Plus, it dresses up the home. No ugly tank along side the home.

I'll post which way i go in the end.
Take care,
BG

EDIT: These saftey catch tanks are running about $650 bucks from different places. Well worth the money if you ask me.

Last edited:

pico

Veteran
I think my parents use a 500 gallon plus tank for their home heating fuel. Then again it only gets filled like once or twice a year.

G

Hey pico, I'm guessing your parents have the 500 or 550. Since this is a common size for homes and fuel oil. Thanks again for setting me straight on all that math, lolol. Here's the unit i'm most likely going with 20 or 21 kW. It says 21 kW, then you click on link and it's says 20 kW. Any ways, around $7,500 bucks to my door with some goodies. Nice control panel two wire. Through wall fitting also and lift gate service.
Thanks,
BG

N

Neptune

I have researched generating power from various fuel types: Natural Gas, Diesel, Gasoline etc.

In the end, it is only worth while if:

A) You are way off the grid, up in the mountains
B) Want to be "off the grid" no power signal for the power Co. to look at.

But in terms of money savings, the grid is price competitive, and easy.
There is no big savings hidden in a bigass generator.

Let's not forget the other Elephant in the room, NOISE POLLUTION.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but generating power is very tricky to make worthwhile.

Most generators are 20% efficient only, which means 80% is heat, and 20% is electric power... now if you had a way to capture the heat and say, heat your house/hottub... you're getting somewhere.

pico

Veteran
GoldDustWomen said:
Hey pico, I'm guessing your parents have the 500 or 550. Since this is a common size for homes and fuel oil. Thanks again for setting me straight on all that math, lolol. Here's the unit i'm most likely going with 20 or 21 kW. It says 21 kW, then you click on link and it's says 20 kW. Any ways, around $7,500 bucks to my door with some goodies. Nice control panel two wire. Through wall fitting also and lift gate service.
Thanks,
BG

Yeah all my calculations were at 20k. The maximum output is 21k, continuous 20k. Get that thing ordered already :)

jimjay

Neptune said:
I have researched generating power from various fuel types: Natural Gas, Diesel, Gasoline etc.

In the end, it is only worth while if:

A) You are way off the grid, up in the mountains
B) Want to be "off the grid" no power signal for the power Co. to look at.

But in terms of money savings, the grid is price competitive, and easy.
There is no big savings hidden in a bigass generator.

Let's not forget the other Elephant in the room, NOISE POLLUTION.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but generating power is very tricky to make worthwhile.

Most generators are 20% efficient only, which means 80% is heat, and 20% is electric power... now if you had a way to capture the heat and say, heat your house/hottub... you're getting somewhere.
Very true about the noise. I saw a generator that used 100 gal. of diesel a day. It had to be barried hella deep and you could still hear that thing.
I am sure you guys have considered all this though.

G

Not to be off topic GDW and Pico,but if it`s in the budget to drop 9-10K for a generator and fuel storage tanks that you`ll haveta feed for the life of said generator with "diesel"(which is nasty shit as I`m sure ya`ll know) and will break down at some point due to age and moving parts in an engine eventually wear out ........Have you looked at "Photovoltaic panel systems with inverters and storage banks ?.......Prices have come way down on whole home systems and there are NO working parts and NO FUEL other than Father Sun.......Of course you haveta be in an area where your panels can collect a certain amount of sunlight each day but the storage banks run the system for days without any solar collection and the kicker is anything left over goes into the grid thru a meter and the utility company sends YOU a check every month instead of in reverse till you die.........Goin off the grid is my main goal.........Not but for any other reason than it`s a short term investment that pays for itself quickly (especially if income is supplemented dontcha know)..The biggest reason is due to NEVER havin to pay another power bill as long as you live.........I forget because it`s been months since I researched it but systems with buncha wattage production to run BIG houses 24/7 like in the mountains out west were like in the low "20`s".........It`ll be put in my budget down the road you can bank on that ......Ya`ll take care and PEACE........DHF........ :sasmokin:

pico

Veteran
jimjay said:
Maybe you were talking about your situation but this was way up in the mtns.

I wasn't really talking about anyone in particular. I was just picturing someone running a massive generator 24/7 in the suburbs with neighbors on all sides.

DEDHEDFRED- I don't think any solar system able to provide 20k of continuous power is anywhere near our price range. I would be curious of any links to systems with prices you can provide.

G

Pico.....You`re right.........20KW continuous would probably light up my whole neighborhood.....But.....How much does it cost to fuel and run that 20K generator 24/7 FOREVER?.........I`ll be glad to letcha know that 5k a month won`t touch it for continuous useage(even usin farm-grade tractor diesel) as I`ve done the numbers on it before I researched the photovoltaic panels......... No offense dewd,but have YOU done any research on what I`ve said?...All I did was offer an alternative that`ll keep you from havin to feed the "beast with fossil fuels that will only get more expensive " and NEVER let LEO have a clue how much juice you`re usin cuz there`s no noise and no generator suckin nasty ass diesel and spewin stinkin-ass fumes ...I`ve already seen which way to go .....You`ll figure it out sooner or later...Technology is always upgrading and gettin cheaper....BTW.......Do a little surfin and you`ll be surprised as to how big a system you can buy for what you`re lookin for.............PEACE..........DHF......... :sasmokin:

G

Ok, let me explain my little problem. I've looked into Generator's and family member works with them on a very large scale. As for noise problems. The room the unit will be in "Will" be sound proof. I will be in a location that is almost off the grid. I do not want to tap into the house line because i will be drawing alot of juice for the size of the place. I do not want anymore problems what's so every. The reason i'm going for the 21kW generator. It's a quick fix to my problem. I only need the setup for a year max. Then the place will most likely either be sold of or rented out. I do not need to invest into solar power. Now, if i was planning on living at this location for a larger period of time. I would look into solar power and DC. Father said the same thing, but again. I will be relocating to Spain in the early summer of 08. Then, will talk more about solar power and back feeding the meter or charging fuel cells and DC power. The reason i'm posting and following this thread. Quick and easy fix for me. I've used many diesel products and generator and I think it will work for my 6-8 month seed projects. Just need enough grow space and light to run some seeds and renew a bunch of seeds before my jump to Spain. Thanks everyone for all idea's and comments. Solar power and DC power will be a later project for sure. Not till i'm all setttled in my new place in Spain. Lots of sunlight there for the panels.
Thanks,
BG

G

My apologies totally........Should`ve known you knew what you were lookin for the specific purpose it would perform for....PEACE.......DHF.........

G

DEDHEDFRED said:
My apologies totally........Should`ve known you knew what you were lookin for the specific purpose it would perform for....PEACE.......DHF.........

Oh, no need. We are all friends here. I'm open to anyones idea's. You never know when you might change a good idea for a better one. Plus, i'm open to others idea's and inputs for later projects down the road. I will be looking into a very large solar panel system for my house in Spain. The area i'll be in will have all open and direct sun light, so i'll be messing around with those and some DC power gear. No need to apologies for anything. Thanks for your post and welcome more of it. This is why i love ICMag and all it's members. Nothing but great idea's and people. Plus, all the killer growing threads of killer dank. lol
Take care,
BG

PS, I'm just limited to what i want to do at this short term location is all.
Thanks again,
BG

G

Some of you might be wondering how i'm going to fill the fuel without the fuel company wondering why they are visiting so often. Once i figure out what size tank i'm going with. I'll fill it up myself with one of these fuel tank tool box units. and pick up fuel once a week. Even if i'm using the generator at full load for 12 hours. That's 12 gallon per a day and at 7 days a week. That's 84 gallons per a week. If i get the 550 gallon tank. even if i only fill it with 300 gallons at first. Fueling up at the local gas station or fuel supplier won't look fun at all. I've got a big work truck and it will only look like i'm getting fuel for tractor's or machines and such. Plus, I won't get fuel at the same place to often. Spread it out and the truck fuel tank holds 91 gallons. Not bad and no fuel company to wonder if your growing. Problem solved.
Later,
BG

Nice one jimjay. I'm sure once i do figure out what i will do. The house won't be hard to sell or rent. Another reason for generator was to increase house value. I will have a auto switch system installed before selling or renting. Generator will feed house also. Increase value of home alot.

Latest posts

Latest posts