What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Desert Southwest Growers Union

del...

lol...i know...probably a poor choice of words on my part. just trying to light that fire under y'all that live close...this town is 85% mex and if anyone else does any 'manufacturing' around here it's meth so i have to look for my buds elsewhere...

but i'm free this weekend too (all days are pretty much the same for me) so let's dip our bums into a rubber hole and let gravity take us where it wills. the following weekend, saturday the 13th, is hayden's "september fiesta at the river" held every year on the golf course and i'll be setting up my knive's and jewelry tables mostly just to get out and meet the neighbors and the sales should pay for my upcoming vegas trip! so if nothing else and you have a saturday to kill come on over and check out the fiesta! food & vender booths, horseshoe and softball tournaments and live music throughout the day! it's my 1st show of the season and it gets me geared up for the much bigger ones coming up in october and november...i do mostly biker ralleys but also a few county fair type shows and then the BIG one in february in tucson when the gem & mineral show happens for a couple weeks!

Grizz

Veteran
hey Del have a question for ya, when you go register at the DMV for your med card do they ever come inspect your grow room or area?

del...

joesy whales said:
hey Del have a question for ya, when you go register at the DMV for your med card do they ever come inspect your grow room or area?

in the nearly 7 years i've been licensed no one has ever come out to inspect a thing nor have i heard of any others getting checked up on. i guess they trust us to do the right thing...but shortly after i first got licensed i did have the local sheriff's deputies drop by and very polietly asked me if they could see what a "legal garden" looked like so i let them in and we talked a bit about it and even tho both cops are mormon they still seemed to be pro-legalized med use and thought the indoor grow was pretty cool! and it gave me the chance to educate them a bit about the plant and how 80% of it is pretty much water or compost material and some of the problems we go through and the costs of getting a grow done. they seemed genuinely interested and were friendly throughout their 15-20 minute visit. you gotta remember this is a very small little rural mormon town with maybe 800 people in a 20 sq mile area and sits about 100 miles north of vegas in the high desert (great basin desert)...i was the 1st one in the county to be licensed!

and they haven't bothered me since...

those going to vegas in a couple weeks will have the chance of visiting alamo with me and soaking in the hot springs and checking out the ancient petroglyphs that are nearby! many of you probably haven't met a mormon yet so this will be your big chance!

below is a "vitex" tree (aka the chaste tree). it's a great camoflage plant that grows quickly to 12-15' tall and can be either a bush or a tree depending on the trimming. i have one on the west side of 'the hedge' and golden bamboo on the east side. no need to cover the north side as that's where the house is and the south side is a steep slope down to the highway. the fence on the south side has a large honeysuckle vine attaching itself to it which also offers cover for the odor as they bloom twice/year (all year actually but two main blooms)...and i added a pink grapefruit tree last spring to the cover line...water does the rest!

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
Thanks Del you have been very helpfull. I recieved my tempory medical go ahead from the health dept. good for 30 days while there checking my crimanal background, I think there just lagging to see what happens when I go to court on the 18 of this month. See you guys at N&J soon , PARTY TIME..

E

EatShitake

sci- Yeah, I'll be there. Got vouched for by a friendly member from around the way, so I'll see ya there...You too, Senor Whales!

E

EatShitake

Eh...court...there's enough bigtime drama going on down there anyway.

Grizz

Veteran
you got that right ES, the longer I wait the better.... are you going to do a bubble demo for us at N&J?

hey joesy i was wondering if you have anypics of the swamp cooler or any other links for the bonair?? cause for some reason i cant get to the site.,if not please explain as to what it is exactly,what is needed, how much to make or get one please.,cause i have a heat prob that needs to be resolved.,but i do not have a window or anyway to put a window unit in at all.,and i hear the portable ones Suck.,not BLOW cold air.,lol

Grizz

Veteran
WallyWatermelon said:
hey joesy i was wondering if you have anypics of the swamp cooler or any other links for the bonair?? cause for some reason i cant get to the site.,if not please explain as to what it is exactly,what is needed, how much to make or get one please.,cause i have a heat prob that needs to be resolved.,but i do not have a window or anyway to put a window unit in at all.,and i hear the portable ones Suck.,not BLOW cold air.,lol
It wont work unless you have a window or can cut a hole for it. I can't find my lititure on it at the moment but I belive I posted it way back in this forum or thread. A swamp cooler is basicly a box with a fan of some sort inside the box. It has what is called cooler pads around the box that recirculated water drip through thus sucking the outside air through the wet pads and blowing the moist cooled air into your house or room, there are many models but the bon aire is a new desighn that works extreamly well for my needs.

Last edited:
hmmm??well thanks for atleast clearing this up a bit.,i was thinking along those lines but wasnt sure dry ice or something.,lol well any other ideas?? the central air is a huge unit that runs constantly and to exspensive.,i have a 300 square foot room.,inside is 2 cabinets connected.,lower veg.,upper dry.,then over to flower that has 600w hps and a 500cfm 6 inch exhaust.,but even though still running about a good 10 degrees or so higher then room temp.,i think theres more then enough air flow as i have two 6 inch and three 2 inch holes on the lower back side of flower box.,you think those portable ac units are gonna cut it?? flower runs anywhere from 85-88 or so

Grizz

Veteran
WallyWatermelon said:
hmmm??well thanks for atleast clearing this up a bit.,i was thinking along those lines but wasnt sure dry ice or something.,lol well any other ideas?? the central air is a huge unit that runs constantly and to exspensive.,i have a 300 square foot room.,inside is 2 cabinets connected.,lower veg.,upper dry.,then over to flower that has 600w hps and a 500cfm 6 inch exhaust.,but even though still running about a good 10 degrees or so higher then room temp.,i think theres more then enough air flow as i have two 6 inch and three 2 inch holes on the lower back side of flower box.,you think those portable ac units are gonna cut it?? flower runs anywhere from 85-88 or so
If there not getting above 88 to 90 at canopy hieght I wouldent worry about it, are you running cool tube on your 600? if not it would help dramaticly to do so.

nope.,silly me.the thing is i started talking one day recently about doing something to a friend.,well turns out a week later we are building boxes etc.,well as we all know it starts to get a little more then we exspected and said screw it a batwing will do for now, but after i threw the first widow in to flower she all of a sudden went droopy on me and also started getting some spots on her leaves.,so it got me concerned with heat issues.,ps more towards top to middle area.,so i moved light little higher and gave more nutes,looking a little better but not totally full potential.,(i think) but i ordered a hydro farm daystar and its on its way hope it gets me in the 78-80 range?? what you think? and again whats your rating on a say 10,000 btu PORTABLE unit 1 lowest 10 highest.,and sorry this is all new to meso lots of questions

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
WallyWatermelon said:
where are you exhausting the hot air from the cabs to ??? room that supplys the fresh air for cabs ???

i live in the mohave desert under a rock chasing rattlers and scorpions :muahaha:. for real i do live out there some where i exhaust my hot air from both 400w lights into my attick. i use mater bedroom closet went to local hardware store got peice of plywood cut to size to fit inside door frame.
heres a 1k hps in cooltube hooked upto a 4inch can carbon scrubber and stanely blower fan modded its exhausted into the attick

even in 90 degree temps i managed to get this urkel pheno of a hybrid cross to purple up nicely and with no Co2.

totally unrealated but here wally this you'll find of use

ok back on subject amazing what i find way back in my gallery lol.
found it ok at my local lowes hardware store i choose the plywood 19/32 thickness i had my inside door frame messurements and they lowes make 2 free cuts. lmao so the cut the peice to the size i needed even before i payed for it whoot went got some decent but cheap handels 2 and i had 2 3 inch black pvc 90 degree elbows

whalla no more suckn fresh air from under closet door and my temps went from low 90's to low 80's. now i have 400w hps in cooltube 400w mh in air cooled hood and my temps are in low 80's

important thing is exhausting into attick only other suggestion i would have is increase your fresh air supply

E

EatShitake

and again whats your rating on a say 10,000 btu PORTABLE unit 1 lowest 10 highest

If that's your only option...well, you gotta do it. I've got a 12k BTU (its 10 or 12...can't remember) portable and it's cooling a room about 5x8 with a 600MH in a cooltube, and about 200W of mixed fluoros. The room is inside a mostly climate-uncontrolled room that ranges in temps from low 70's to mid 90s. A window unit is wayyyy more efficient in cooling. The poor portable cycles on every couple minutes and is killing my power bill. It's getting upgraded, but prolly not til next spring when I get something like a split unit to cool my bloom room very efficiently.

If heat in your room isn't much of a concern, I'd say rig a 5kBTU window unit into your cab somehow. Throw some insulation on the cab, too, and then exhaust your room heat out a window or into an attic space.

The small window units aren't even a hundred bucks, but the portables run in the 300-600 range, and in my opinion, are terrible growroom AC's.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Hey Maj! We're posting about the same time. How's it going out there?

:joint:

Last edited:

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
hey buddy weather is overcast on westside lol might rain somewhere in the valley

Z

zoolander

I may have to join the desert growers since I don't have my own gang down here , Can ya guy's jump me in LOL