What's new

Deadliest catch

NOKUY

Veteran
i helped a friend get to dutch this year....he's got a chance on 2 boats, he worked king crab on a boat from kodiak, and worked processing in dutch between then and now, and has offers.....he's really scared tho, and thinks he just wants to do halibut longline. (scared to fish opilio).

....his shit changes by the day, and i wish he'd man up cuz i helped him get onto that boat.

NOKUY

Veteran
AbbieDoobie said:
Here's a cool interview with Jon and Andy Hillstrand:

http://www.deadliestcatchtv.com/interview-with-jon-and-andy-hillstrand

Looks like we get 16 brand new episodes in April with two new boats, the F/V Trailblazer and the F/V Lisa Marie.

http://www.deadliestcatchtv.com/deadliest-catch-season-5

~Abbie :joint:

awsome thanks abbie!!! K+

quote from jonothans sig on myspace:

"happy new year the free bird song goes out to the families and lost ones 13 of you the mariners out of Dutch Hardor in the last 9 months including the two who lost there lives in the Harbor God bless you"
:violin:

13 dead in/from dutch in the last nine months aint a fukin joke!

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
Whatever said:
How many tours have you done out on those boats?

starting in 97

97 july and august bristol bay salmon
98 june and august salmon

99 july salmon (kasilof)

2000 halibut/b.cod(seward)
2001 halibut/b.cod(seward)

2002 halibut, crab.cod(seward)
2003 halibut. crab cod(seward)

2004----stuk in colorado texas.

NOKUY

Veteran
my seward boat is in kodiak now, and sumtimes drops in homer and cold bay.

i cant mention her....she's almost famous.

AbbieDoobie

That's pretty cool, Yukon. Halibut and Alaskan Red Salmon, along with Red Snapper, are pretty much the only fish I eat.

~Abbie :joint:

A

arcticsun

13 men dies on sea in 9 months then the fucking authorities needs to step up and do their fucking job and make sure those guys are secure.

thats just insane, it sounds like the type of conditions we had here 50 years ago. where is the coast guard? where is the safety regulations and security precautions? 13 guys, not all the crab in the arctic is worth that to a small community like that. its out of control i tell you, something isnt right.

i live in a small arctic fishing communtiy and so many dead just wouldnt be accepted here. just no way!

this just might be what happends when discovery channel rolls in with all the money and hoop-la!

NOKUY

Veteran
arcticsun said:
13 men dies on sea in 9 months then the fucking authorities needs to step up and do their fucking job and make sure those guys are secure.

thats just insane, it sounds like the type of conditions we had here 50 years ago. where is the coast guard? where is the safety regulations and security precautions? 13 guys, not all the crab in the arctic is worth that to a small community like that. its out of control i tell you, something isnt right.

i live in a small arctic fishing communtiy and so many dead just wouldnt be accepted here. just no way!

this just might be what happends when discovery channel rolls in with all the money and hoop-la!

the coast guard does a good job, trust me.

that number could easily be ten times that.

only reason im not on a boat today is because two best friendsswere killed on boat in kodiak harbor and the GF wanted me to quit.

Lost a friend this last week out west. He was a bit older than me...but I fished salmon with him in 98. They were fishing opies and he got caught in the bite of the line when the pot was launched. They havent recovered him and probably never will. He was on the FV Seabrooke....

i wonder if there will be anything mentioned in this season of DC.

NOKUY

Veteran
Old Man Time said:
Lost a friend this last week out west. He was a bit older than me...but I fished salmon with him in 98. They were fishing opies and he got caught in the bite of the line when the pot was launched. They havent recovered him and probably never will. He was on the FV Seabrooke....

i wonder if there will be anything mentioned in this season of DC.

sorry for your loss OMT....sounds like he had experience too. :badday:

leaddraft

Bump for the Commerical Fishermen!
There are SEVERAL here on IC...
(I'm a East Coast guy)....
I fished near the Hill and Sounds, though, Nothing Like you NW peeps, I'd would have loved too try it..
Back in the Late 70's, Early 80's I remember all the ADS in Our Local paper to Fish in AK, I should'of went...
I'm a Lost soul of the Sea..

Old Man Time, May His Soul Rest in Peace, I read about it...
They were Fishing Grey Cod?
LD

Last edited:

SDOG

leaddraft said:
Bump for the Commerical Fishermen!
There are SEVERAL here on IC...
(I'm a East Coast guy)....
I fished near the Hill and Sounds, though, Nothing Like you NW peeps, I'd would have loved too try it..
Back in the Late 70's, Early 80's I remember all the ADS in Our Local paper to Fish in AK, I should'of went...
I'm a Lost soul of the Sea..

Old Man Time, May His Soul Rest in Peace, I read about it...
They were Fishing Grey Cod?
LD

Just had a coastie chopper fly over my house out towards sea. Hope everything is alright out there we just lost 2 local lobsterman this past weekend. It made me think of this thread right away when i saw the coastie chopper. :badday:

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
another sad commercial fishing story from todays anchorage daily news:

Crewman jumps into sea, refuses rescue

VICTIM: 40-year-old likely committed suicide in cold water, investigator says.

By WESLEY LOY
[email protected]

Published: January 31st, 2009 12:26 AM
Last Modified: January 31st, 2009 12:27 AM

A crewman on a Bering Sea commercial fishing boat leapt into the deadly cold water and fought rescue efforts before vanishing, authorities said Friday.

"At this point it looks like a suicide," said Thomas Lowy, a state trooper at Dutch Harbor.

The victim was identified as 40-year-old Michael Leo Beaulieu. His commercial fishing license lists his home as Frisco, Colo., but he might have been somewhat transient, Lowy said.

Crewmen aboard the fishing vessel Arctic Fox reported Beaulieu jumped overboard shortly after 11 a.m. Thursday.

The boat, which had been fishing for cod using traps known as pots, was heading to Dutch Harbor and was about 11 miles to the northeast when the man jumped, the U.S. Coast Guard reported.

Beaulieu, who wasn't wearing a survival suit, "refused to swim toward a life ring thrown to him and swam away from a fellow crewman who donned a survival suit and went in to rescue him," a Coast Guard news release said. "The man then reportedly dove and was not seen again."

A Coast Guard helicopter stationed in Cold Bay searched 16 square miles in blowing snow and fog but the crewman wasn't found and the search was suspended at 4:25 p.m. Thursday.

Seas were running at 6 feet and the water was 37 degrees, cold enough to cause hypothermia and death in a matter of minutes.

No foul play is suspected based on interviews with the boat's five other crewmen, who were pretty shaken up, Lowy said.

"They took it pretty hard," he said.

State records list the owner of the 58-foot Arctic Fox as Wahl Fisheries of Reedsport, Ore. The vessel was built in 2006.

Beaulieu didn't leave a suicide note, but he made "some odd comments" to his fellow crewmen that, in retrospect, seem to be signs he was troubled, Lowy said.

Beaulieu was a veteran commercial fisherman who had crewed occasionally on the Arctic Fox for a couple of years, the trooper said.

The way he took his own life is "something I'd never heard of before," Lowy said.

However, Lowy said one of his supervisors in Kodiak knew of a case in which a crewman on a fish-processing vessel died after jumping overboard.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Andy and John have a book out. I just read it. While they aren't exactly wordsmiths, they had a nice yarn or two to share. The, "...quaint drinking village with a fishing problem line is," mentioned there.