What's new

Deadliest catch

Smoking goes hand in hand out west. Whenever I left port I made damn sure I was stocked up on smokes. I smoke a pack a day now....out there I smoked almost 2 a day. But you have to remember 24 hours awake.....you smoke more.

And I dont mean to burst anyones bubble but sig aint the best. He is the man on the show....but when it comes down to it....there are 75-80 other boats out there. The Wizard has always highlined but his boat costs a lot to maintain...Fucking the crewshare.
Kiska Sea, Determined, Northern Allegiance, Lady Alaska, and the Kodiak are all much higher grossing boats. The Arctic Lady and the Handler are bad asses too. The list goes on.

Still a kick ass show tho....but having seen it in real life and done it....Hollywood really puts a spin on it. Its not that glamorous. lol Its a different lifestyles for sure....and I miss it. When my kids get a little older...ill be back pushin pots and haulin seine.

much respect old man time! I was just talking about never stepping foot on one of them boats much less fishing on one! Seeing how the greenhorns puke their first couple times on deck I think that would be hard for me to work through

Sea sickness is a mental thing. Not all greenhorns get it. You would be surprised to see how many old skool guys still have to puke before the season starts. Its more nerves than anything. I dont get sick....only once and thats because I swallowed my dip on wheel watch.
Its my belief that if you think your gonna get sick you will. If you are....the best think IMO is go out on deck and look at the horizon. Watch the sea gulls...anything to get your mind off of being sick.
Once the work starts....most guys quit pukin.
I was only on one boat where someone quit after 3 days. It was about 15 years ago...he was early 20s....green as a MFer This guy threw up on the dock lol. We worked his ass(mine too)but this guy kept hurling....even on a flat calm day. He made it to our first delivery and bailed as soon as he could jump to the dock...gone. Guess fishin wasnt his thing.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
And I dont mean to burst anyones bubble but sig aint the best. He is the man on the show....but when it comes down to it....there are 75-80 other boats out there. The Wizard has always highlined but his boat costs a lot to maintain...Fucking the crewshare.
Kiska Sea, Determined, Northern Allegiance, Lady Alaska, and the Kodiak are all much higher grossing boats. The Arctic Lady and the Handler are bad asses too. The list goes on.
The Lady Alaska was featured on the first season of Deadliest Catch. I was re- watching this season over the weekend and that boat definitely kicks major ass. If I did that kind of work that is definitely one boat I'd want to work for.
I also agree with you about the spin Hollywood puts on this job. That's why I like the first couple season best, there's less Hollywood bullshit spin. This season was full of it. I'm sure Dutch Harbor is full of idiots who saw this show and want to be deckhands now all because the work is being glamorized. They don't realize this ain't no god damn cruise around the bearing sea.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
great last episode.

the time bandit fuckin' killed it as far as deckhand pay. that boat is awesome. andy and johnathon are definetly the bad asses of the bearing sea.

the joke edgar tried to play on sig was pretty damn funny. i was laughing at the tv.

phil better take care of himself so he can get his ass back on that boat.

and they better have another season. this time they can cut the hollywood bullshit. work don't need to be glamorized.

S

ScrogHog

Cant wait for next season gettin ready to watch the behind the scenes on my dvr i like to start 10 minutes late so i can fast forward through the commercials.

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
i also couldn't help but notice Lynn on the Wizard was feeling the heat from the new deckhand now that Moi isn't around to fuck everything up and make Lynn look good.

Drugcheese

Wondering if Phil will make it back for next season. That guy is in such bad health it's ridiculous, and his chain-smoking certainly isn't helping anything

S

ScrogHog

RudolfTheRed said:
i also couldn't help but notice Lynn on the Wizard was feeling the heat from the new deckhand now that Moi isn't around to fuck everything up and make Lynn look good.

Yea the new deckhand is the complete opposite of moi too.

NOKUY

Veteran
missin my DC fix :joint:

chekin out some DC footage on youtube i got this one which "mulishababe" did a bomb ass job on this OG video....fukin props to her for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6kpoKOQkOM

the pic @ 1:37 id kill to have a print of (all the bald eagles and ice on the northwestern)...WOW!!!!!!

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
yea i been missin some deadliest catch too... its not on tv much anymore... i used to watch it every single time it was on... i wonder if they'll do a new season.... i fuckin hope so
man i wonder how old phil is doin these days... i sure hope he is okay

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
i knew they were gettin to a new one....i cant wait

(did u watch that video RTR?)...i liked it

ill check on phil right now and post his website in a min.

NOKUY

Veteran
www.captainphilharris.com

looks like plans to head out this season....i wish him well thats 4-sho

i hope he kraks the whip on "ding" and "dong" tho.

dont get me wrong they seem like great kids, and i bet they are far better than most kids today....they are lucky to have phil as a dad tho!

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
haha fukin sweet...i love the time bandit boys....john hillstrand is such a cool ass dude...

i felt bad for him when he fell off the dock ...he's a rockstar tho!

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
NOKUY said:
www.captainphilharris.com

looks like plans to head out this season....i wish him well thats 4-sho

i hope he kraks the whip on "ding" and "dong" tho.

dont get me wrong they seem like great kids, and i bet they are far better than most kids today....they are lucky to have phil as a dad tho!
i knew phil wasn't going to quit... fishing ingrained in him... its his life

lol, yeah his kids are a little dopey at times but they ain't that bad. they're still young so i gotta give them the benefit of the doubt... your right they're still better than 99% of on the kids i see today

K

kallenavndk

RudolfTheRed said:
Anyone out there think they got the guts to go out there and try it?? I figured I've worked about every other shitty, physical, dangerous, and painful job out there so I think I could do it. Some of the jobs I've taken up are considered some of the most dangerous in the world already like logging, and roofing... So that doesn't even bother me. Nor do the long days. I've worked days on end non-stop no problem. I'd rather work my ass off all at once, have some time off, then have some regular ass boring 9-5 where you go in everyday.

Hell No hehe damn cold and lots of water, i sit in a chair and surf on icmag i get paid almost 35 dollars per hour , and thats how far my balls go :rasta:

But i like to see the show to hehe :jump:

Last edited:

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
35 an hour ain't bad but i think edgar of the northwestern once said he was making about 3,000 dollars every two hours once. then again they can go weeks without making anything so i guess it equals out.