What's new

Dabney Blue or M39? debate inside!

G

Mr. Nevermind said:
I got a pm not to long ago from someone saying that dabney cuts being passed around are just cuts from MSM's gear, or his old blue. So how knows.

nevermind

well i havent seen a Dabney pic yet that even comes close to OlBlue. Old Oregon Blueberry is what OlBlue is, a cut from 85.

its been said that DJ let out cuts back early in the Blueberry creation. Dabney and many others could be just that, different clones from the BB work.

OlBlue is huge and chunky, a afghani, does not produce those sativa fingers that is showin in MSteelers shots.

plenty of peeps keep yammerin on how the fake Dabneys are OlBlue, hehe, keep on wishin fellas:D

CBF

M

Mr. Nevermind

well i havent seen a Dabney pic yet that even comes close to OlBlue. Old Oregon Blueberry is what OlBlue is, a cut from 85.

its been said that DJ let out cuts back early in the Blueberry creation. Dabney and many others could be just that, different clones from the BB work.

OlBlue is huge and chunky, a afghani, does not produce those sativa fingers that is showin in MSteelers shots.

plenty of peeps keep yammerin on how the fake Dabneys are OlBlue, hehe, keep on wishin fellas

Hey man, i never said they were the same. im just saying that is one thing that i heard and im sure there is a lrge possibility that what i did hear was wrong. I think the whole thing is confusing to be honest with you .

who knows what the origin of dabney is, i dont think there is a way we could ever know. It could be an old DJ cut since he did work in OR. That certainly could be true and actually makes sense. the only thing about that one is that dabney isnt hermie prone has a much more distinct taste and smell as Dj;s gear so if dabney was a cut from him why did he not work it more since its a better representation of blueberry?

who knows, its all confusing. One thing for certain is that all the pics you guys are showing looks like some damn good pot regardless of the name. and when you smoke it i dont think you will give a shit either way!! Good pot is good pot in the end.

Good grows and good luck to you all. Have a great weekend, or whats left of it

Nevermind

PS: the dude that named it will be up to my place in a day or so to check out my grow and rape my sour for some cuts. I will have him come on and check out the pics and try to give a better description. he has grown dabney and the original ( another OR clone only) and knows em like the back of his hand

Last edited:
G

no harm bro, just sayin how there different imo.

i tend to believe alot of the old great BBs are DJs early plants, why he didnt go in that direction i havent a clue, he went more towards the sativa side of the BB.

heres a Blowfish cut from seed i grew. fans are a bit more sativery, and more like Hieagles pics of dabney. Bud though looks alot like the Dabney/M39 pics. thinkin the BF is a bit more of a yielder then those 2 though. the Blowfish cut, is somewhat simular to Blue in early aromas, but goes grape late.

CBF

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CBF, your plants look differnt from the M39 to me... but I can tell M39 in the dark these days, I've been up to my ass in near perfect crops of it for a while. The Blowfish looks similar from afar, but not up close, not to me. I believe I've smoked your Ol Blue before??? If I remember correctly, it was CERTAINLY not M39.
All I know is... I would love to have a real blueberry-scented/tasting plant... I don't care who has it, or what it is, as long as it's good pot that tastes like real blueberries, I'll be happy.

I grew out a pack of Northern Liughts Special many years back. The phenotypes were all over the map, but one of them was a real blueberry-smeller. Friends still talk about that one plant to this day, and it was never cloned. If it didn't smell like blueberries, it didn't smell like anything! hehehe It was a true blueberry smell, and I regret not cloning her.

Last edited:
G

yeah CC, simular but not the same. i was just commentin on how the BF bud looked like the M39 in growth. by no means the same plant, as the fans are to slim.

yeah you did the report in that mag, on OlBlue, and if i remember it was a candy BB for ya. and yeah, OlBlue is not Dabney by any stretch of the imagination, just posted to show there not the same plant.

but your pics, i see no diff other then one was short some N. and your right there to tell the diff in smell, taste and head.

id take your word for it:D

CBF

ograskal

Veteran
Hey The Dabney Blue that M.steelers is running looks exactly like the cut that me and CC have....I have No Doubt from the pics that they are the same cut.....

Does anybody Know where Swerve got his Dabney Cut from??????...~OGR

J

JimmynitZ

That is the question. I'd sure like to know.
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Hieagle's pics of Dabney(that looks like the same DB here) before Swerve ever mentioned that he had it. I'm not positive, but I think Schroomy420 had the Dabney too. Maybe it came from one of those two???? :confused:

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
Yeah, I got the cut from Hieagle, who is a good friend... so did Swerve. For real. And I'm sure HE will stop by to give us his input.

Schroomy got it from me a few months ago but probably has never run it.

CC, do you have any dried shots to compare? I'm actually not in either club anymore :D My wife had twins and I closed my grow for a long stretch about 3 weeks ago!

I personally think that the Dabney cut does smell like blueberry... Others I have shown nugs too also thought the same...

Anyhoo, I'd like to see some cured shots... I can probably snap a few if you guys want....

PS- maybe I'm crazy, but I dont see alot of diff in CBFs ol Blue and the Dabney shots... The Dabney is hella chunky, at least mine was, for a 250 grow.... not rock hard buds, but chunky.

peace,
M

Last edited:

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jimmy! One of the people I hoped would show up here. ;) What do you think of this comparison bro? Pretty hard to see anything different, eh?

Ok, so, we're all getting this cut from the same source, now we need to ask them... Why does this look like, clone like, smoke like, grow like, taste like M39?

For those wondering why there's a question about the smell of M39 being like blueberries I say... it IS an impressive, happy, berry-ish-ish-ish smell, but this in not a true, unmistakeable blueberry smell. I hope Dabney is different, not just a renamed M39. M39 has been around for a couple decades, so it is entirely possible that it could have been renamed along the way. I hold out hope though, that the real one is not M39, and smells more like blueberries than what I have, labeled as Dabney. The Dabney I have, even if it IS different than the M39, is still not very berrish... as a matter of fact, it's the same exact smell as the M39s all around it.

Anyone got a pic of Dabney that's NOT a clone of M39?

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
Can you please post up some dried pics of each CC? Let's make sure this doesnt become an attackfest.... HE is good people... I guarantee you won't find a single person that has even a mildly harsh word to say about him. I'll be interested to see the rebuttal here.

peace to all,
m

nandro

There's none more chill and patient than HE. Much respect, brutha.

Dab is good shit, whether it's M or not...Dab isn't the most potent I have, but it's really tasty and smelly...and looks GREAT. Coco grown next to DWC showed me she LOVESSSSS gettin' wet in water, too. Although my coco Dab was, no surprise here, a lot tastier and smellier. A keeper for sure because of her unique aromas and flavors.

Peace,
Nandro :sasmokin:

J

JimmynitZ

Yep CC....they look like the same plant to me. Here are some pics and a quick smoke report I did for the M39, 1.5 yrs ago:D
Jimmynitz said:
M39....clone only, via Rezdog. 20 years old, vintage S.S.S.C. Skunk#1/Basic 5! :smile: Flowering: 9 wks, buds are curing.
Dryed, the look of these buds remind me a little of what I've seen of Cali-outdoor over the years. The first thing noticed in the smell is the Skunk.....but a fruity-'acidic' smell is there also. The taste is a sweet-floral/skunky mix....yum! The high is more on the relaxed side of things, but not a devestating indica type that knocks you out.

60DSCN0253.JPG
60DSCN0257.JPG
60DSCN0258.JPG
60DSCN0262.JPG
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=19091

Some pics of "Dabney" from a recent thread of mine:

13853420menu_009.jpg

13853420menu_011.jpg

13853420menu_014.jpg

13853420menu_022.jpg

From my Dabney Blueberry grow thread 5 months ago:
JimmynitZ said:
Dabney Blue @ 30 days....

I think I'm going to like this plant, LOL.:D For only 30 days into flowering there is already some nice girth...and it's only like half-way there. Dabney seems to be a good feeder, and easy to grow on my first run of her. At this point I'm not smelling what I would call "blueberry muffins".....more of a skunky blueberry. The skunk smell isn't that strong, more of in the backround. I don't know, but I'm wondering if there could be some Skunk in DB. That skunky smell I'm noticing in the DB, is alot like the skunkiness of the Skunk#1/Basic5 I've grown....but not nearly as strong. The Dabney's overall look, even kinda reminds me of the S#1/B5 too.....who knows. The only downside I see at this point is how leafy it is. But from seeing other people's Dabney's, I know that's just the way it grows, no biggie.....as long as I get some kickass, blueberry-tasting pot, I'm satisfied.:smile:
I pulled her out of the flower room so I could get some better plant shots. Enjoy!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=50506

I'd say my M39 and Dabney nugs look very, VERY similar. Whatcha think?

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Let me say, first of all, that I do not know nearly as much about strains as the majority of you folks. I have no reason to doubt the story that Mr. Nevermind tells. There is,however, one thing that is bothering me. If the dude who has the Dabney has never released it, except to one guy with a garden full of Borg, how did it become so famous? How does everyone know how it is supposed to taste and smell? I know that the chemdog has been promoted by Chemdog himself(shamelessly at times) and that some cuts of it have been given out to friends. Some have even been given out to folks outside the circle and now people are breeding with it(and a bunch of fakes).

If the holder of Dabney has never put it out, how does anyone know of it? He must be one hell of a commercial grower who has put out a bunch of bud for sale for everyone in the world to know Dabney and want it. May be a stupid question, but then I'm stupid so it fits.

If I were the only holder of Pop's Purple Passionberry Kush and I never released cuts, would there be a big demand?

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

Pops said:
Let me say, first of all, that I do not know nearly as much about strains as the majority of you folks. I have no reason to doubt the story that Mr. Nevermind tells. There is,however, one thing that is bothering me. If the dude who has the Dabney has never released it, except to one guy with a garden full of Borg, how did it become so famous? How does everyone know how it is supposed to taste and smell? I know that the chemdog has been promoted by Chemdog himself(shamelessly at times) and that some cuts of it have been given out to friends. Some have even been given out to folks outside the circle and now people are breeding with it(and a bunch of fakes).

If the holder of Dabney has never put it out, how does anyone know of it? He must be one hell of a commercial grower who has put out a bunch of bud for sale for everyone in the world to know Dabney and want it. May be a stupid question, but then I'm stupid so it fits.

If I were the only holder of Pop's Purple Passionberry Kush and I never released cuts, would there be a big demand?

Kids were driving up from LA and parts of OR for dabney. It was tried by many at a disc golf tourney and i think that is how it got popular. Since then LA dudes have been driving up begging him for any lil bit of dabney they can get.

Due to golf course being caqlled dabney, naming the herb dabney blue and the name he used for a screen name for a while the name stuck and word got around.

Nevermind

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I only have dried shots of M39 right now, this is the first run with the other cut. I've smoked Jimmy's, and ask him, before I knew M39 and Dabney were possibly similar, I said, "this is M39!" hehehe So even the finished buds are the same as M39, IMO.

As for "HE", there may be no one to blame for getting them mixed up, but HE would be the furthest down the line we could ask. I, personally, don't care where or when it got mixed up, or by whom, all I wanna know is... is there a real Dabney out there smelling like real blueberries? And... where? Show me the blueberry pot! SHOW ME THE BLUEBERRY POT!

I can see why M39 is loved and mistaken for its smell, afterall, it's my wife's favorite-smelling pot, and she's smoked everything I've ever grown, so she's had plenty of time to settle on a favorite smell. She likes M39's smell the best. It has a very nice, sweet skunk/bakery scent. A bag of this stuff will make your house smell like good, sweet marijuana.

M39 has been around for a long time, so it's possible the clone got to the west coast and was renamed or mislabeled... well, that seems to be the case in this instance.

We need an AKC (American Kennel Club) or the like, for cannabis. A place that verifies the lineages of your clones. Too bad there's this whole prohibition thang a' happenin', eh?

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also, is there a chance of the disc golf guy getting an M39 long ago, and the name was changed by the people at the disc golf turney??? Perhaps it was just an innocent renaming all that time ago? Just a thought.

bamboozled

if one person gets a cut...theyll give to at least one other person....who will give it to at least one other...and so on and so one

its like a damn std

no cuts remain exclusively elite forever, if you think they do...
thats one heluva fairy tale to beleieve

M

Mr. Nevermind

Crazy Composer said:
Also, is there a chance of the disc golf guy getting an M39 long ago, and the name was changed by the people at the disc golf turney??? Perhaps it was just an innocent renaming all that time ago? Just a thought.

Nope, good question though. My friend only grows out 2 strains and has since he started growing about a decade ago. Dabney blue and the original. He has gotten some beans ( chocoalte chunk i knew he ran, but hated it) but he has never found another strian to him that is worth growing. He likes diesel since he tried it recently and now wants a cut of that which he is getting from me.

Now the best question to ask or have answered would be..... where di he get it from and whats the story behind that.I do know that when he got it , that it was told to be an old blueberry and no other name or description was attacted.

Which now that i have typed will be askinghim in the next day or so.

Nevermind

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts