What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If one moves the lord of teachings, Shakyamuni, what grasses and trees will fail to bend, or what waters will remain calm?"

(Nichigen-nyo's Offering of a Shakyamuni Image - Gosho Zenshu, page 1187) Selection source: Soka Gakkai member's experience, Seikyo Shimbun, November 10th, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kai-ko said: ". . . I felt it a terrible pity that someone such as he, outstanding in every respect, should die so young. Reconsidering the matter, however, I realized that it was because of this boy's death that his mother became a seeker of the way and his father began to practice, praying for his repose. How marvelous, I thought. Moreover, the fact that they have put their trust in the Lotus Sutra, which all people detest, must mean that their deceased son has been at their side and encouraged them to do so." I also believe this to be the case.

[ The Sons Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye, WND Page 1050 ]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Sons Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye / WND pg. 1049

The Sons Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye / WND pg. 1049

I have received one sack of unpolished rice, one basket of melons, some yams, and various other gifts.

Once there was a person who exerted himself in the service of a wealthy man named Pleasure Virtue. Day and night he, his wife, and their children were treated harshly and driven hard. Unable to bear the excessive ill-treatment, he hid himself and fled to another country. After serving for a time in the court of a great king in that country, he became an influential retainer and eventually the chief minister to the king. Later, employing the might of this country, he defeated the country where his former master resided. At that time, seeing this chief minister, the former master was greatly frightened and regretted his ill-treatment. Placing himself in the service of the chief minister, he brought him various treasures. And, with no thought for the defeat he had experienced, he now strove only (1) to ensure that his life would be spared.

The case of the Lotus Sutra is the same. The Lotus Sutra is the master of Medicine Master Buddha in the east, as well as the master of all Buddhas in the south, west, north, and the worlds above and below. Shakyamuni Buddha and the other Buddhas revere the characters of the Lotus Sutra in the same way that people fear their sovereign and the stars venerate the moon.

We ordinary people, however, have long been under the reign of the devil king of the sixth heaven. We have been forced into confinement in the realms of hell, hungry spirits, and animals, and, without a moment of relief, day and night we are tortured by the wardens of hell. Even so, if we could somehow place ourselves under the protection of the Lotus Sutra, then Shakyamuni Buddha and the Buddhas of the ten directions would treat us as their children, and thus even the heavenly kings Brahma and Shakra would refrain from approaching us out of fear. How much more, then, would the devil king of the sixth heaven fear us! Even though the devil king had formerly been our master, he would now stand in reverential awe of us. And, terribly fearful that should he cause trouble for us, his situation would worsen when he presented himself to the Lotus Sutra and the Buddhas of the ten directions, he would make us offerings. For this reason, he spares no effort whatsoever to prevent all the living beings in the six paths from accepting the Lotus Sutra.

Therefore, how could this be? You have taken pity on Nichiren, who is hated by all people, sending various articles all the way to him in these mountains on more than just one or two occasions. This is no ordinary matter. Indeed, Shakyamuni Buddha himself may have entered your body. Or perhaps your deceased son has become a Buddha and, in order to guide his father and mother, has entered your hearts. (2)

The king Wonderful Adornment was an evil king. However, because his two sons, Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye, guided him to the way, he and his wife were both able to place their trust in the Lotus Sutra and become Buddhas. Mysteriously enough, your own circumstances are much the same. (3)

Kai-ko said: "He [the deceased son] was above the ordinary in both features and form. In addition, he was honest at heart and rich in wisdom. I felt it a terrible pity that someone such as he, outstanding in every respect, should die so young. Reconsidering the matter, however, I realized that it was because of this boy's death that his mother became a seeker of the way and his father began to practice, praying for his repose. How marvelous, I thought. Moreover, the fact that they have put their trust in the Lotus Sutra, which all people detest, must mean that their deceased son has been at their side and encouraged them to do so." I also believe this to be the case.

Before, I had thought that your sincerity was just an ordinary matter, but now, for the first time, I have sensed the depth of your faith. If anything should happen to you, just as the moon emerges to shine in the dark night, so the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo will appear as a moon for you. Be convinced that Shakyamuni Buddha, the Buddhas of the ten directions, and the son who preceded you in death will appear in this moon. I will explain in greater detail on another occasion.

With my deep respect,

Nichiren

The seventh day of the seventh month

Background

This letter was written in the seventh month of the third year of Koan (1280), but it is not certain to whom it was addressed. One view holds that the recipient was Matsuno Rokuro Saemon-no-jo, who lived in Matsuno Village in Ihara District of Suruga Province, while another says that it was sent to Niike Saemon-no-jo. The Daishonin's priest-disciple Kai-ko Nichiji's description of the son's appearance and character suggests that he knew him personally, thus supporting the notion that the letter was meant for Matsuno Rokuro Saemon-no-jo, Nichiji's elder brother.

In this letter, the Daishonin uses the example of the wealthy man Pleasure Virtue to illustrate how even the devil king of the sixth heaven fears and is subservient to a votary of the Lotus Sutra. He expresses joy that the recipient of the letter has persevered in his faith despite the opposition of the people of Japan to the Daishonin's teachings.

Next, the Daishonin mentions the story of the king Wonderful Adornment, who was introduced to the correct teaching by his sons, Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye. In conclusion, he assures the recipient and his wife that their son has indeed attained enlightenment and encourages them in their faith.

Notes:

1. The source of this story is unknown.
2. A king who appears in the "King Wonderful Adornment" chapter of the Lotus Sutra. He lived in the age of the Buddha Cloud Thunder Sound Constellation King Flower Wisdom. Though originally a believer in Brahmanism, King Wonderful Adornment went at the urging of his wife Pure Virtue and his two sons Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye to see the Buddha, and made various offerings to him. The Buddha prophesied that the king would in the future attain enlightenment as a Buddha called Sal Tree King. King Wonderful Adornment then abdicated the throne in favor of his brother and joined the Buddhist Order together with his wife, two sons, and followers. He devoted himself tirelessly to the practice of the Lotus Sutra. In the assembly on Eagle Peak, Shakyamuni Buddha identified the king with Bodhisattva Flower Virtue, and his sons Pure Storehouse and Pure Eye with the bodhisattvas Medicine King and Medicine Superior.
3. Kai-ko is another name for Nichiji (b. 1250), one of the Daishonin's six senior disciples.

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
:woohoo: >>>>>>>>>>>>NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO>>>>>>>>>>>> :woohoo:

woooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good mornin' my most gnarly chanting family!!!! :wave:

I just feel GREAT!!!!!!! TODAY!!!!! Devil King? HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! WHAT Devil King!!!???

killer post T.

Babba , never did thank you for answering my question, thanks my brotha for enlightenimg me!!!

Get to that meeting TREE, and as T said there may be little obstacles popping up to get you to miss it, now is the time to chant more focused than ever!!! wooooo hooooo!!!! You can do it, You have everyone here pullin for and sendin' all their daimoku your way, you cant lose bro!!!! :woohoo:

Just wanted to check in and share all my energy with ya'll!!!

What do ya call it when your just feelin' awesome as a result of chanting Nam myoho renge kyo? is there a word or phrase for it?

peace and all my love and respect to you all!!!

BONZ :wave:

ps. I dont know about that Butsudan right off the bat Babba but give me a bit of time and ill learn how to do a curved wood front, beautifull isnt it , you gotta see the inside , ill get a pic of it. :woohoo:

!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonzo

Veteran
Hey Babba, heres the inside of the curved front one:

This one is more up to my speed its just gettin the wood, im lookin for a good planer now, we just did a job the had solid , old redwood plank, toungue and groove on the walls in the den, we ripped it all out and threw it away, coulda ran those through a planer and had some bitchen old redwood to work with.

like the natural look of this one:

peace

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those are fabulous looking Bonzo. Ive also seen very nice things made from old oak flooring. Prolly not too easy to find these days. We have a new business near us that they reclaim old exotic wood. Mainly old flooring I believe. Sure doensnt come cheap though.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Bonzo

Veteran
I know what you mean about the reclamed wood Babba, its awesome stuff, and i do enough remodels on home that are 75 years old yo get some pretty nice stuff, just need a planer, lookin today. Hey i saw this show about these guys that fish 200 year old logs out of the mississippi river and slice em' into veneers. There doin quite well!

peace

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Life is the foremost of all treasures. It is expounded that even the treasures of the entire major world system cannot equal the value of one's body and life. Even the treasures that fill the major world system are no substitute for life."

(The Gift of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1125) Selection source: Buddhist study, Seikyo Shimbun, November 12th, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(pssst Bonz! A bokken is a wooden Japanese training sword--just in case you are one of the few people who read this thread who wouldn't know that.)

And by the way Rasta, in case you missed it, Bonz acknowledged in his posts that he made neither; though he feels capable of doing so.

Very busy weekend! I hope to post much more tomorrow, but for now let's just say things are looking very well. I hope that things are going just as good for the rest of you! Much respect to all my chanting friends here! :joint:

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When once we chant Myoho-renge-kyo, with just that single sound we summon forth and manifest the Buddha nature of all Buddhas; all existences; all bodhisattvas; all voice-hearers; all the deities such as Brahma, Shakra, and King Yama; the sun and moon, and the myriad stars; the heavenly gods and earthly deities, on down to hell-dwellers, hungry spirits, animals, asuras, human and heavenly beings, and all other living beings. This blessing is immeasurable and boundless.

[ How Those Initially Aspiring to the Way Can Attain Buddhahood through the Lotus Sutra, WND Page 887 ]

Bonzo

Veteran
Thanks for clearin' that up T ("PSSST",pretty funny dude!) I didnt know what a Bokken is, i do now!! ha ha, i love learning something new everyday! Thanks homie!

Rasta, as T said i did not make those particular butsudans, i did however make my own and plan on makin a couple here pretty soon, gonna be fun!

Hey Meds, sorry wedidnt hook up we apparently both had busier weekends than we thought, no prob, your not that far, well hook up soon.

peace and love

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bonzo

Veteran
PassTheDoobie said:
When once we chant Myoho-renge-kyo, with just that single sound we summon forth and manifest the Buddha nature of all Buddhas; all existences; all bodhisattvas; all voice-hearers; all the deities such as Brahma, Shakra, and King Yama; the sun and moon, and the myriad stars; the heavenly gods and earthly deities, on down to hell-dwellers, hungry spirits, animals, asuras, human and heavenly beings, and all other living beings. This blessing is immeasurable and boundless.

[ How Those Initially Aspiring to the Way Can Attain Buddhahood through the Lotus Sutra, WND Page 887 ]

WOW! I love that!!!

peace

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

G

Hi everyone I hope everyone is well ....I am needing a little extra push this week ...these last couple of weeks have really been a challenge...A good one but really testing me in all ways...So Please keep me near... :joint:

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Good morning, friends! As I mentioned last night things are going very well. I'm seeing some things that I chanted for come to fruition, two pretty big things in 1 day actually!

I had been wanting to begin an indoor garden so that I can grow more during the year than just 1 crop (since my outdoor room is limited and I can't do a big Babba-esque field :D) My Aunt and Cousin came by the house last night and my Cousin was asking me about indoor grow setups, because my Aunt got her medical license so she wants to grow her own meds since they are pretty broke and can't afford them. So I offered to gift them some fine genetics to start with and help them with the setup as best I can, and in return they've said they will have more than enough space for me to grow my meds there also! So, it looks like I will finally get to have an indoor cycle to keep me in supply throughout the year hopefully, without wasting a ton of money at the clubs. This is a huge victory for me in my eyes. Not only that, but somehow I was lucky enough to fight through the lag for a few minutes and land a pack of the Strawberry Diesel that everyone has been clamoring over for the past few weeks! So once this cab is setup at my Aunt's, then I can start finding mothers from my SD IBL and Straw Deez! (Any of my friends here that are close to my area are more than welcome to cuts of them once they are ready! I will be sharing the wealth :canabis: )

So that's my latest victory. I guess it's on to the bigger things I need like a house :chin:

Unika: :) Don't worry, your enthusiasm is endearing!

Bonz: No kidding man, busy busy! But you're right, not too far, and we'll definitely hook up soon homie.

Respect: Daimoku headed your way, my friend! Make some time for chanting today if you can. Embrace the challenges and chant to overcome them, I think it will make the wall you're climbing seem more like an escalator ride. :joint:

Much love and respect to you all: T, Bonz, Babbas, Disco, Respect, Capt. Crip, Delta-9, Scegy, Fallen, Desi, SoCal, Tree, Baccas, Unika, Dignan, DG & Gypsy, and anyone else enlightened enough to be reading this golden thread! Have a great day!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well said meds! A quote to remember!

Well said meds! A quote to remember!

personalmeds said:
Make some time for chanting today if you can. Embrace the challenges and chant to overcome them, I think it will make the wall you're climbing seem more like an escalator ride.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Unika, my hope is that you will be inspired to actually try chanting--sooner rather than later. It isn't like anything else. But you'll figure that out yourself--sooner or later.

T:wave:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Hello Bodhisatvas one and all! I am in awe from what this thread here @ ICmag has become. I thank and appreciate everyones' efforts to help others find their paths to true happiness as we who chant Nam myoho renge kyo has found and continue to seek. It is truely a difficult road to travel but again one that brings about tremendous joy and satisfaction of the tremendous changes we see in our own lifes and the lifes of others who seek and practice Nichiren's Buddhism. I thank you all; you don't know how much this forum continues to feed my determination to once again face and challenge the seemingly endless delusions that confront my life. I am so close in some major major changes. How else could you describe the reasons for which the sometimes endless obstacles and frustrations seem to manifest in my life? Delusion and fear are my worse enemies and this Chanting Growers Group contributes to my continued fight in overcoming them. Thank you all again and let's all keep chanting strong for others happiness; you are all such beautiful people and I find myself contemplating what great fortune we have to have this association. Don't forget, all these relationships have not just been by coincidence as we have all have had a previous past lifetime relationship to help others reach their enlightenment. This thought gives me great joy and happiness that we are here again together doing worldwide kosenrufu on the net. My posts are not as frequent as I would have like but know my life force and prayers are here always.

Nam myoho renge kyo

ps to Myoho Disco mania awesome dude! Yes! the 2nd meteour is approaching if not allready appeared! Thanks again to all!!!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep on keepin' on Brother!

Keep on keepin' on Brother!

May you feel a wind at your back!

Much love and deep respect from your kenzoku-myo of thirty-three years,

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts