What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A brilliant orb as bright as the moon burst forth from the direction of Enoshima, shooting across the sky from southeast to northwest. It was shortly before dawn and still too dark to see anyone's face, but the radiant object clearly illuminated everyone like bright moonlight. The executioner fell on his face, his eyes blinded. The soldiers were filled with panic. Some ran off into the distance, some jumped down from their horses and huddled on the ground, while others crouched in their saddles. I called out, "Here, why do you shrink from this vile prisoner? Come closer! Come closer!" But no one would approach me.

[ The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra, WND Page 767 ]

fallenangel

We must never forget how the Daishonin’s life, a momentous struggle to spread the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, was a succession of great difficulties and persecutions.................
.......can someone tell me what the five charecters of myoho-renge-kyo are?

G

Daily Encouragement:

I hope you members of the youth division will, in the spirit of Shijo Kingo, advance with the Daishonin and also with Mr. Makiguchi, Mr. Toda and myself. This spirit of joint struggle shared by mentor and disciple is the very heart of the SGI. It represents a solidarity in which people are linked by a true unity of purpose and commitment. May each one of you lead the most valuable, meaningful youth. The age belongs to you.

Events:

1271: Tatsunokuchi Persecution. The Daishonin, who is about to be beheaded by government troops, is saved when a flash of light in the night sky frightens the executioners away. The government later decides to exile him to Sado Island.

G

for fallenangel and everyone else....

for fallenangel and everyone else....

The Meaning of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

People first coming into contact with the religious practice of the Soka Gakkai International may be struck by the stress placed on the phrase "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo." It may appear that everything starts from and returns to this single phrase. This does, however, accurately reflect Nichiren's (1222-82) view of its importance and the value he placed on its repeated invocation. As he put it: "[T]he soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo." Indeed, Nichiren regarded Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as the Mystic Law, the natural principle governing the workings of life in the universe, the law to which all Buddhas are enlightened and the true aspect of our own lives. He saw the practice of repeatedly invoking this law as the "direct path to enlightenment."

The Voice

Many people associate Buddhist religious practice with silent, interior meditation. But the practice of vocalizing, reciting and chanting various teachings has played a vitally important role in the history of Buddhism. To voice one's innermost conviction and vow in prayer is an intensely public act. The emphasis on audible chanting as opposed to silent meditation reflects a core stance of Nichiren's Buddhism. Rather than simply exploring and withdrawing into the private realms of the inner life, religious practice is focused on bringing forth our highest inner potential in relation to and for the benefit of our fellow humans and human society. Nichiren often quotes the words of an earlier Buddhist philosopher that "The voice does the Buddha's work."

Using our voices to express and convey the state of our inner life--whether that be one of joy, gratitude, despair or determination--is central to our identity as humans. It is likely that the quintessentially human act of "prayer" grew from such semi-instinctual pleas, cries and thanks--directed toward the inscrutable forces of nature and prior to any consciously formulated system of doctrine or belief. Likewise, it is through song, the voice, that human beings have given primary expression to their innermost feelings of--and desires for--harmony with all life. The voice serves as a vital link between ourselves, our fellow humans and a universe that is itself vibrant with the rhythms of life and death.

Nichiren viewed the Lotus Sutra, with its message that all people are capable of becoming Buddhas--that, at the deepest level, all people already are enlightened Buddhas--as the ultimate teaching of Buddhism with an enduring and universal applicability. In line with earlier schools dedicated to the Lotus Sutra, he considered the five Chinese characters of the title of the sutra--myo, ho, ren, ge, kyo--as embodying the essence of the sutra, the Mystic Law to which Shakyamuni and other Buddhas are enlightened. Thus, when on April 28, 1253, he declared that to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo was to activate its promise of universal enlightenment, Nichiren was establishing a form of practice that would open the way to enlightenment for all people--regardless of class or educational background. This was borne out in the diverse range of people who gathered around Nichiren, becoming his followers and fellow practitioners; they included people with a highly developed understanding of Buddhist doctrine and history as well as farmers with little if any literacy. It is also borne out in the astonishing diversity of people practicing Nichiren Buddhism globally today.

The Mystic Law

Nichiren devoted great energy to encouraging his followers to muster profound faith that chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is a practice by which they can bring forth their inherent Buddha nature--strengthening their capacity for wisdom, courage, confidence, vitality and compassion--to successfully meet the challenges of daily life and establish a state of unshakable happiness in this world.

What, then, does Nam-myoho-renge-kyo mean? The phrase can be literally translated as "I devote myself to the Lotus Sutra of the Wonderful Law." In a number of his many writings--which include treatises, petitions, records of lectures as well as letters to individual believers--Nichiren delves into the deeper significance of each of the component characters.

Nam (or Namu) derives from the Sanskrit and means to venerate or dedicate oneself. (It is often translated as "hail" or "take refuge in," but from the perspective of Nichiren Buddhism, with its stress on the fact that the Law is inherent in all people, this cannot be considered the optimal translation.) Myoho-renge-kyo is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese characters comprising the title of the Lotus Sutra, or "Saddharma Pundarika Sutra" in the original Sanskrit.

Nichiren comments that the entire formulation thus fuses elements of Sanskrit and Chinese, the two great civilizations of his known world. This may be understood as expressing the universalist orientation of Nichiren Buddhism, its active embrace of human culture and civilization.

Myoho corresponds to Saddharma and may be translated as "wonderful or mystic Law." As Nichiren comments in one letter: "What then does myo signify? It is simply the mysterious nature of our life from moment to moment, which the mind cannot comprehend or words express."

Nichiren further cites three attributes of the character myo: To open, to be fully endowed, and to revive. Ho is the dharma or law, and together the two characters of myoho refer to the Mystic Law. As SGI President Daisaku Ikeda has written: "The great power of the Mystic Law . . . embraces everything, brings out the positive possibilities of all situations, transforming everything toward the good, reviving and giving new life to all experiences."

Myo and ho are also identified by Nichiren as corresponding to life and death, which Buddhism regards as the two aspects--one active and manifest, the other latent and unseen--of a deeper life-continuum. This continuum is permeated and shaped by the law of causality, or cause and effect, which Nichiren identifies with renge, the lotus flower.

Specifically, the fact that the lotus flower already contains seeds when it opens symbolizes the principle of the simultaneity of cause and effect, the idea that causes we make are engraved in the deepest, most essential realms of life, and on this plane we immediately experience the effects of our thoughts, words and deeds. In terms of Buddhist practice this means that "Anyone who practices this Law will obtain both the cause and effect of Buddhahood simultaneously." The fact that the lotus flower sends forth pure white blossoms from roots sunk deep in muddy water expresses the idea that our highest nature is brought forth through committed engagement with the often difficult or disagreeable realities of life and society.

Finally, kyo signifies the sutra, the voiced and transmitted teaching of the Buddha. The Chinese character for kyo indicates the threads that run continually through a woven fabric. Nichiren writes: "Kyo represents the words and voices of all living beings. . . . Kyo may also be defined as that which is constant and unchanging in the three existences of past, present and future."

Elsewhere Nichiren associates each of the characters of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with parts of the human body: head, throat, chest, abdomen and legs, respectively. This may be understood as indicating that the mystic principle or law that guides and governs the living cosmos is in no way separate from the concrete realities of our lives.

By invoking the Mystic Law and bringing forth our highest, most enlightened nature, we naturally inspire those around us to strive toward the highest, most creative and compassionate way of life. This develops into a "virtuous circle" of mutually reinforcing celebration of the infinite dignity and value of all human beings. Nichiren uses a poetic metaphor to describe this process: "[W]hen a caged bird sings, birds who are flying in the sky are thereby summoned and gather around, and when the birds flying in the sky gather around, the bird in the cage strives to get out. When with our mouths we chant the Mystic Law, our Buddha nature, being summoned, will invariably emerge."

from ( http://www.sgi.org/english/Buddhism/more/more30.htm )

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
Hi fallen!!!

Howdy Hit!!!

thank you easy!!!

thank you T!!!

ya'll have a beautifull day!

peace to all!

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As a further point of clarity....

As a further point of clarity....

fallenangel said:
We must never forget how the Daishonin’s life, a momentous struggle to spread the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, was a succession of great difficulties and persecutions.................
.......can someone tell me what the five charecters of myoho-renge-kyo are?

The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo are the five Chinese characters that make up the title in Kumarajiva's Chinese translation of the Lotus Sutra. The title of the Lotus Sutra in this translation is the Chinese character for 'myo', the Chinese character for 'ho', the Chinese character for 'ren', the Chinese character for 'ge', and the Chinese character for 'kyo'. Each chapter of the Lotus Sutra begins with the title, 'Myoho-renge-kyo', which is made up of these five Chinese "characters". So when one says, "the Daishonin’s life, a momentous struggle to spread the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, was a succession of great difficulties and persecutions.................", one is saying that the Daishonin spread the essence of the Lotus Sutra, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, enduring great hardship and struggle in doing so.

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is this thread not a virtuous circle?

Is this thread not a virtuous circle?

easydisco said:
By invoking the Mystic Law and bringing forth our highest, most enlightened nature, we naturally inspire those around us to strive toward the highest, most creative and compassionate way of life. This develops into a "virtuous circle" of mutually reinforcing celebration of the infinite dignity and value of all human beings. Nichiren uses a poetic metaphor to describe this process: "[W]hen a caged bird sings, birds who are flying in the sky are thereby summoned and gather around, and when the birds flying in the sky gather around, the bird in the cage strives to get out. When with our mouths we chant the Mystic Law, our Buddha nature, being summoned, will invariably emerge."

Such good stuff! Thanks Easy!

G

Yes it sure is and the incredible stream of benefit encompassing the globe as a result and inspiring countless others leaves me in awe everytime I ponder such things! I am very very grateful today and everyday for Nichiren Daishonin expounding Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in our world.

The joy of being in synch or haramony with the universe is a daily proclaimation I make and something I strive for in all my actions/reactions/plans, when I don't immediately fundamental darkness begins to entrench my spirit, but through Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, I always triumph.

:wave:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"On the twelfth day of the ninth month of last year, between the hours of the rat and the ox (11:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M.), this person named Nichiren was beheaded. It is his soul that has come to this island of Sado and, in the second month of the following year, snowbound, is writing this to send to his close disciples."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 269) Selection source: Editorial, Seikyo Shimbun, September 12th, 2006

G

WOW somebody else here had to have the best meeting ever too, I am sure I wasn't the only one, I am sure Mrs. MyohoDisco wasn't the only one! We attended a meeting with a friend in our district who is 42 and has been practicing since last december and didn't have a bell set and I purchased one for him but couldn't meet up with him over the last month through scheduling issues, he called me today we set up for tonight and we went. I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo comfortable I finally told someone that I found out about this through a marijuana site and my Spiritual Mentor was a member of this site. Victory!!!!!!!!! He was happy to hear it since everybody I know in SGI is always surprised/pleased/impressed with the guidance I share including the writing I do and share with them via email and in meetings, he brushed aside the weed aspect and asked me questions about what to read, how I have faith in him and he doesnt have much faith in himself but he chants nonetheless, and how he doesnt do gongyo everday and I said to him "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" is the primary! OHH VICTORY VICTORY VICTORY!

I went to my wife's parents home and spoke to them about Buddhism, the women let us guys talk more in depth and dad is a super roughrough guy but as he "interoggated me" his final point trying to demolish me was "Don't try and spread the word, people are going to think your a martian" so I told him about the last few months with my father who has been struggling severely for a few years and from the beginning of my practice till recently I have been expounding every tidbit I can and trying to help him all I can, and now he seemingly overnight has a new lease on life and planning bigger and better things whereas before that his goal and primary goal was to "sleep more!" WOOOHOOO, anyone can do it just chant.

So before I left my wife's parents home, I said remember Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and Mom joined me at myoho and finished saying renge kyo with me! She's a super Bodhisattva of the Earth, this thread is full of them and the best part of all this is I'm back with Nichiren Daishonin and chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, through the good times and "bad" times! :dueling:

Never be Defeated! Always be Victorious with your Heart of Gold!

AND I GROW MARIJUANA TOO!

:wave:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well done, MyohoDisco!

Well done, MyohoDisco!

Now Nichiren's lifelong prayer and desire will be achieved in an instant. And this fits the Buddha's prediction regarding the fifth five hundred years, just as one half of a tally matches the other.

[ Reply to the Followers, WND Page 901 ]

G

Mystically last night after that awesome meeting, my district leader M and I spoke over the phone and she mentioned her husband grows too, yet doesnt toke and was buying seeds over the internet in amsterdam, probally from the Great GypsyNirvana and DG!!! How myoho is that!

Its an honor to be a part of this thread and its revolution in our lives.

Gosho Excerpt:

"Those who believe in the Lotus Sutra should beware of and guard themselves against the sutra's enemies. . . . If you do not know your enemies, you will be deceived by them."

Letter to Konichi-bo,
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, pg# 664)
Written to Konichi-bo in March of 1276 from Minobu
http://sgi-usa.org/buddhism/library/Nichiren/wnd/concord/pages.view/664.html

Daily Encouragement:

Youth is a truly wonderful thing. Unfortunately, though, this is often something that's hard to appreciate when we're young. Life passes by quickly. Before we know it, we are old. That's why in our youth we should be as active as we possibly can. Rather than a life of blank pages, live a life crammed full of memories-of battles well fought and wonderfully diverse experiences. Not to leave behind any history, to just grow old and die, is a sad way to live.

Events:
1951: Young women's division established.

Gosho Excerpt:

"The ten directions are the "environment," and living beings are "life." To illustrate, environment is like the shadow, and life, the body. Without the body no shadow can exist, and without life, no environment. In the same way, life is shaped by its environment."

On Omens,
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, pg# 644
Written to Shijo Kingo in 1275 from Minobu
http://sgi-usa.org/buddhism/library/Nichiren/wnd/concord/pages.view/644.html

Daily Encouragement:

There is no need to seek impatiently for greatness, fame or wealth. The earth and sun do not hurry; they follow their own path at their own pace. If the earth were to accelerate and complete one rotation in three hours instead of twenty-four, we would be in big trouble! The most important thing in life, too, is to find a sure and certain path and confidently advance along it.

Lectures and articles about Nichiren Buddhism: http://sgi-usa.org/buddhism/

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^ Ha! Once again! Well done, MyohoDisco!^^^

"There is no need to seek impatiently for greatness, fame or wealth. The earth and sun do not hurry; they follow their own path at their own pace. If the earth were to accelerate and complete one rotation in three hours instead of twenty-four, we would be in big trouble! The most important thing in life, too, is to find a sure and certain path and confidently advance along it."

Continue!

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Greetings fellow Bodhisattvas!

Greetings fellow Bodhisattvas!

"Tien'tai states 'From the indigo, an even deeper blue.'(6) This passage means that, if one dyes something repeatedly in indigo, it becomes even bluer than the indigo leaves. The Lotus Sutra is like the indigo, and one's practice is like the deepening blue.

(6)Maka Shikan, vol. 1.

"Hell is the Land of Tranquil Light"
Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin; Vol 2

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

fallenangel

PassTheDoobie said:
^^^ Ha! Once again! Well done, MyohoDisco!^^^

"There is no need to seek impatiently for greatness, fame or wealth. The earth and sun do not hurry; they follow their own path at their own pace. If the earth were to accelerate and complete one rotation in three hours instead of twenty-four, we would be in big trouble! The most important thing in life, too, is to find a sure and certain path and confidently advance along it."

Continue!
i really like this too!

G

SoCal Hippy said:
"Tien'tai states 'From the indigo, an even deeper blue.'(6) This passage means that, if one dyes something repeatedly in indigo, it becomes even bluer than the indigo leaves. The Lotus Sutra is like the indigo, and one's practice is like the deepening blue.

(6)Maka Shikan, vol. 1.

"Hell is the Land of Tranquil Light"
Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin; Vol 2

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I bow in obeisance to you! Timely quote for the day, nice to see you Socal.

Hi everyone, we're jamming huh?

Bonzo, looking forward to your enshirenment post!

Hi fallen Hi always

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts