What's new

CFL Club!

Frid

Awesome, I love those little plants, Puff-n-pass and Guano. Smurfy .. How do you get them to grow that small? Do you put them in the dark or just keep the light low?

SuperHemp

Smaller, narrow pots and less veg time is the key. Also cool white lights (6400k) during veg optionally with a little warm white mixed in (i.e 75W cool white 25W warm white). Reducing light to a minimum will reduce yield to a minimum too so it's not really the best way to go. Of course yield is reduced in a micro grow but there are techniques for keeping size / height down and yield up.

Superhemp.. Us UK'ers can get CFLs.. Daylight (~6400k) lamps are a bitch to find, as are cool whites(4000k).. but 23-25w warm whites are pretty easy to find.

B&Q sell 42w warm whites but they're just the tubes, needing seperate ballasts and the lamps are 12 quid a pop. Lampspecs sell 42w cfl tubes (no ballast) in all the above colour temperatures for about half this price, but you have to factor in that a ballast for them is about £20 for a 2xlamp unit.. but they do make it a lot easier to remote ballast them.. i remoted a couple of 25w ones i got from morrisons for, believe it or not, 49p for the two, it was only for an experiment for fun.. wouldnt like to do a lot of em though.. simple enough wiring but a little fiddly.

I found my daylight CFLs at lampspecs.co.uk they sell warm, cool, daylight, all in one retrofit proper socket spiral CFLs up to 30w, the bigger ones are about 6 quid each.

also found 30w warm white spirals in a local little electronics shop.. they were like 2.99 each.

But generally, large cfls and anything not warm white are quite rare here.. you just gotta look long enough... or talk to someone like me on a forum :muahaha:

Last edited:
Frid said:
Awesome, I love those little plants, Puff-n-pass and Guano. Smurfy .. How do you get them to grow that small? Do you put them in the dark or just keep the light low?

Size of the pot - smaller pot => smaller root mass => smaller plant

But in the micro grow you have to watch out for big budder strains like himalaya gold. They will easily outgrow micro grow space even in the small pot.

C

cork144

for uk growers id reccomend bltdirect, £16 for 85W with 2.90 postage.

also scldirect has 30watters for £3.00 or so in the replacement lamps area, also have 250watt hps/mh for like £40 lol

Danksta408

What's up fellow greenthumbs......Like all of you, I have decided to "walk another path" to get to my destination.........I've used HID's before but wanted to try something different..........So I jumped off the bandwagon and, well.....here I am..............

My current project:

Strain: F.G.B. 420 This is a strain that was created by a buddy of mine for a good reason........If I told you, you wouldn't believe me anyways............F.G.B. 420 is a cross between Grandaddy Purps (momma) and White Widow (poppa)...........The GDP is from the Bay Area and the WW he got on a visit to Amsterdam...........Out of 10 seeds he got 1 male and this is the result of it.

Soil: Kellogg's Patio Plus, Perilite, Vermiculite, Bat Guano (indonesian)
Ferts: FF Grow Big and Big Bloom, AN Sweet Leaf, VitB1 (concentrate), Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, and only feed with filtered, RO'd water
Lights:
Veg: 4 27watt N:Vision CFL's 1600 lumens 6500K
Flowering:5 42watt N:Vision CFL's 2800 lumens 2700K and 10 23watt N:Vision CFL's 1600 lumens 2700K

So in my flowering cab, I'm pushing 440 watts and 30,000 lumens in a 3 sq. ft. area..........Lights are no more than 3 inches from tops at all times........My temps stay between 65 degrees F and 80 degrees F and relative humidity is between 40% to 83%

With all that being said, here are my babies:

guest3589

Some frosty goodness there Danksta408, looks like a winner strain that your friend came up with there. How old are these fine young ladies if I may ask?

Gano

SuperHemp said:
Hey guys nice grows you have going on here :rasta:

CFL's are interesting i heard people mostly say they're crap and you should use HPS blah blah but you guys seem to show them otherwise.. :muahaha:

Almost old to the touch, no cooling fans.. lower power? Oh yeah. So maybe i should try this in a micro grow.. not set on the container yet, but i have some ideas.

You US bastards are lucky though with highpower CFL's locally, we don't have them in NW europe! But i picked up some nice bulbs on the 'bay, 85 watters 2700k and 6400k, 2 of each color (gotta have a backup, burnt me once on the HPS setup). They were reasonably priced too, came out to about 60€ incl. shipping for the whole lot and that's two shipments to dodge some taxes. Just a tip for the UK guys. Also standard light socket not that E40 crap.

They look pretty big though, but more surface area = better lighting dispersion AFAIK. It's those f*n huge growlight types sold in headshops etc.

This will be interesting, I'm aiming for 1/4gram per watt as this is my first micro grow, and i recon it's a pretty modest expectation, seen that figure before here in tiny PC grows with a 40 watt bulb only doing 12/12 from seed and I'm gonna go a bit different. I don't smoke much though so yield isn't too important i got enough anyway, i just like creatve growing, especially überstealth. :joint:

Great club, hope i can join (assuming i don't get scammed :spank: )

J

CFL's do get hot, you can touch them but they do raise a cabinets temp a lot....my cab is up 10-15C from these lights, fans are still needed.

PS. i am in Asia, all my bulbs were bought at B&Q, so you eruo folk who have B&Q should be able to get them :)

Danksta408

Expertsetup said:
Some frosty goodness there Danksta408, looks like a winner strain that your friend came up with there. How old are these fine young ladies if I may ask?

Thanks.........I will let my buddy know that as well........My gurls are 74 days from sprout and they're on day 34 in flowering........About halfway done.........My goal was to be able to harvest, dry, and cure in time to enjoy them during the x-mas holidays..........I think I might make it

aeburnside

new CFL cabinet

new CFL cabinet

Hello folks, I'm new to this whole game :wave: but I hope to start small with a decent CFL cabinet. I've outlined my basic design below but I'm short on details at the moment. Check out my gallery for a diagram. (Why can't I include links in my post?)

I'll be using the left room for vegging up to 4 clones/seedlings under 4x30W of 6500K CFLs. This will produce about 8,000 lumens for a square foot of grow space.

In the right room I'll be SCROGing two plants in half-gallon pots, using a high-end soil and hand-watering (for my first grow at least). Light will come from 4x55W 2700K CFLs with some kind of reflectors for a total of 14000 lumens in just over a square foot of screen space. The screen and pots will move as one unit so that i can move them to within a few inches of the lights all throughout the flowering period.

Does this sound feasible? I'll be constructing this out of plywood and framing up the edges to make it sturdier. I'll also be painting the insides flat white. I still need to design a door or two for it. I also haven't addressed ventilation yet because I don't know how much heat this setup will generate. I'll probably set up a passive intake in the veg room and then route air into the flowering room to be extracted from the top near the 55W CFLs.

A few questions:
1. What is a decent strain which will grow well under CFLs and respond favorably to SCROG training? I'd like a cheap indica/sativa mix if possible.

2. Would it be better to mix the spectrum in both rooms?

3. Can anyone link me to an easy electrical tutorial? I need to figure out how to wire these bulbs easily without taking up too much room. I was hoping to wire two to one wall and two to the other, staggered and facing each other horizontally.

4. Please critique my work. I'm fully open to better ideas :chin:

tejashidrow

Well done Puffpass....
i am starting my grow this weekend... I am useing SCROUNGED parts i had around... Its a DORMER refridge, growing in CoCo. I have 4- 65 watt cfls (total wattage 260 watts) in a mini Vscrog set up Hope it rocks like i think it will !!! I wanna do like puff does!!!! :rasta: :laughing: pax

Last edited:

peri.lee

i need help

i'm thinking to replace my old weak 250w hps with envirolite dual 200w...I'm a sativa scrog fan...so the guy from the growshop tells me that envirolite 200w dual is better, that it has characterictics in preformance of a 600w hps (which sounds a little ...), he grows lowriders and ak47 and covers 1 sq.meter with that lamp (he sais)...I'm not looking for a 500g yield, I know cfl is not much of a yield lamp, but I need someone who has expirience with envirolite 200 w dual to tell me what can I expect from it...is that guy full of...or what...thank you whoever you are

Yeti1

under ~220w, mixed spectrum

62316all.jpg

62316sick.jpg

62316sick21.jpg

62316p1.jpg

62316p2.jpg

62316p3.jpg

AB1337

bio-forte said:
CFL's have made what would have been dry times, high times for me. I was pleasantly surprised how much you can pull with these cheap little bastards when you use em' right. I just went with mainly walmart standard 23W (not cool white). I kept em' cranked down as close as I could to the plants throughout growth and some were literally in between the buds when it finished.

I realise that this post is old, but I still gotta leave (belated) props!

They were some nice plants.

AB1337

I myself dabble in the easy world of CFL's.

My veg box has 2x23w 6500 plus 1x40w 3000K CFL

My grow box has 12x40w 3000K CFL and 1x150w HPS.

Recently rebuilt le 'ol box, have some beans coming this week sometime. We shall see how well she performs!

I can not wait to get some good beans, and like 30 CFLs, I think i could succeed with this cheap alternative now days! plus i can set them up easier i hope... prof sublime where did you get the sockets for your cfls, is it just a lamp cord?

AB1337

Luckygreenhand said:
I can not wait to get some good beans, and like 30 CFLs, I think i could succeed with this cheap alternative now days! plus i can set them up easier i hope... prof sublime where did you get the sockets for your cfls, is it just a lamp cord?

I simply used a power cord, split the two wires, then cut notches in the wire rubber every so often at the same places along the wire. Then just connect sockets to those notches, in parallel, then plug it in. voila. Don't forget to seal up those connections.

Theoretically, you could connect as many lights as you wanted to. But I don't like to put any more than ~5/wire. That's just me. :confused:

Prof Sublime

Hard working pothead
Veteran
What I have there Luckygreenhand is "shop lights" from home depot. They are 5$, the come with a clamp and a metal relflector, I just took them off.
14.jpg