What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bubble Buckets a Cheap Alternative to Bubble Bags Pic by Pic

G

Not to mention you can leave a nice structure male in the room once and a while and your bud will be deseeded by the machine....Would most seeds pump out into the first veg screen bucket or would you have to pick out most plant and seed directly from the washer?

Thoughts on labeling the screens?

Thoughts on labeling the screens?

Hey guys, was wondering what everyone who is getting their screen from dickblick intends on doing to keep track of which screen is which since they all come in white? my 27 is yellow so that's a no brainer.. I'm just wondering what will permanently stay on the screen and not wash off.. Marker I imagine will fade over time.. I was thinking maybe buying some colored nylon type material and sewing a different color border around each piece.. It would keep the ends from fraying as well as let you easily know which piece is which.. But that would require a sewing machine.. and I'd probably have to learn how to sew, too.. Where's my granny when I need her?

Any ideas?

Hasta

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Staple a label onto the periphery of the screen(s)....or zipties with varying colors maybe?

Keefhead

What about simply hand stitching in a bit of colored thread or yarn in the corners? Surely your girlfriend, mom, seamstress, cute neighbor, or whoever will have a few scraps of colored thread. Or - a thread from a few old shirts should do the job. I suggested the corners because they will stick out of the buckets a bit further than the sides and be easier to see.

K

Fabric glue..

Fabric glue..

Talked to a friend of mine that used to sew leather a lot and he suggested fabric glue..I didn't know such a thing existed.. I was thinking of doing the whole border of the pieces to also help fraying since the pieces have to be cut. I don't even know if this stuff frays or not, it might not even be an issue. Anyway, apparently good fabric glue will do the trick and is washer-safe.. I looked into little hand stitchers and they all get horrible reviews and say they break in like 5 minutes. I was also thinking of a label/something in a corner as well, like you guys suggested. That'd be an easy solution if fraying isn't a concern.. Anyway, I have my bucket constructed and have 6 sizes of cloth in.. Also, with say an 18x18 piece having a small 1/2" border all around wouldn't be a problem. For a test I made 14x14 and it fits over a 5 gallon bucket (the diameter is about 10 1/4-10 1/2 of the bucket) but when trying to place the bucket halves together(with no border) it's easy for an end to slip-into the bucket while you're trying to match the halves causing you to reposition the cloth and try again....A border would actually help that situation with a 14x14 since that border would 'catch' the rim of the bottom half of the bucket, helping that slippage problem.. However a 16x16 or 18x18 would seem to be ideal for a 5 gal, if anyone was wondering.. Since most people are probably getting a yard you'd think 18" would be an ideal length anyway, giving you at least 2 pieces from the yard side of it..

Bill

Last edited:

ben ttech

heya hotC!!!!

ya... i do recall tis true...
your system got raves at OG back when you revealing your project....

betterboy

OK got my first run done, I set the screen in the freezer and pealed the loogies off and put them on cardboard, when it melted(ice) lots of water standing so i laid a paper towel on top and it sucked a lot of water out, now it looks pasty, do i put it back on the cardboard and put back in the freezer? whats the best way to get it all dryed out so i dont have to think bout it molding?
Ill get some pics up soon

betterboy

here's the pics of what i got with 1st run, gonna run it 1 more time, think i might have mixed it to hard on the first run.
using a dehydrator a bad idea for drying this out?

Keefhead

It should dry just fine like that in the pic. The cardboard is good. Just set it up high where the cat can't get to it, and in 24-48 hours it should be dry enough to try. But let it dry more, or break it up into fine pieces, and dry it more before you store it. This helps reduce the chance of mold.

Bubbleman, and many others, store it as a coarse powder. I like that, as it is easier to put in a bowl or on top of a bowl or in a joint. Just not near as much fun to play with.... LOL

A dehydrator will dry it too fast, getting the outside dry much faster, and sometimes not getting the inside dry. The freezer will not dry it, as not all the water will come to the surface and freeze off. Some of it will just freeze inside the hash. You need to air dry it first for best results.

I hope this helps. There are other ways, but this always works for me.

K

geezeressa

Keefhead said:
What about simply hand stitching in a bit of colored thread or yarn in the corners? Surely your girlfriend, mom, seamstress, cute neighbor, or whoever will have a few scraps of colored thread. Or - a thread from a few old shirts should do the job. I suggested the corners because they will stick out of the buckets a bit further than the sides and be easier to see.K
With three sewing machines (one is a serger) and a respectable stash of fabric/fiber related items I should be able to whip something up. Lots of options for the edges: serging, bias tape, pinking and straight stitching, Hong Kong finish. I'll have to get out thread stash (silk? cotton? poly/cotton? embroidery thread? metallic thread? and pick some colors....

ben ttech

say betterboy...
did you set the screen on a towel or cardboard for a minute or two BETWEEN taking it out of the holder and putting it into the freezer??

smily

BotanicalBill said:
Hey guys, was wondering what everyone who is getting their screen from dickblick intends on doing to keep track of which screen is which since they all come in white? my 27 is yellow so that's a no brainer.. I'm just wondering what will permanently stay on the screen and not wash off.. Marker I imagine will fade over time.. I was thinking maybe buying some colored nylon type material and sewing a different color border around each piece.. It would keep the ends from fraying as well as let you easily know which piece is which.. But that would require a sewing machine.. and I'd probably have to learn how to sew, too.. Where's my granny when I need her?

Any ideas?

Hasta

Use a sharpe marker

ben ttech

if you lay it aside on something absorbant JUST for a minute... your hash wont have nearly the amount of moisture in it you experienced...

it will still have enough to freeze up allowing easy removal from the screen... but not enough to turn so muddy on you WHEN you get it off the screen and it thaws again...

SO....
how did the construction process go for you if i may ask...
and how did you find the processing??

one of the nuianses of this process is setting and unsetting the screen... a few folks have had some troubles there... sometimes a screen flops heavily and spills into the bottom section when you pull the ring holding it... other times you notice you were not careful enough getting the screen centered... and your pouring pulls and edge of it into view... allowing water to pass unfiltered...

you can always repour any stage merely by rinsing everything down into the catch bucket and trying that stage again...

betterboy

I have to say i think i really blotched the first run, let me run through my mistakes so maybe this will help someone else
1.I used 5 gal. buckets and thats ok but I should have used the 2 gal. buckets for the split buckets, im gonna fix that! reason, saves screen
2. getting 3 grades of hash took me 9 hours for 2 runs of my first batch. Reason: didnt think! I waited 30 minuites before each screen pour, After the leafs are removed I should have poured from bucket to bucket, changing screens between pours, thought i had to wait 30 min. between,(wrong)
3. I ran the mixer to fast so my 57 & 75 screen hash is green , over mixing to hard
4. The screen does want to slide down and into the bucket when ya pull the top 1/2 bucket, So im gonna mount 4 clips on bottom 1/2 bucket
5. As far as the bucket construction , easy, took bout 30 minuites
6. end result, gonna do another run today and im sure Ill be happy with what Ill get, I think im gonna like these bubble buckets!
I was wanting to get a 25 to 30 mesh but after seeing the 57 micron pour and how little of trikes thats in there, I dont know if i can justify the cost of the screen

ben ttech

the trick to keeping control of the screen is FIRSTLY to realize you dont have to press the top ring dont into it severely to get a good tight seal...

the lighter your touch at this point... the easier they come apart after the pour... which allows better control...

after pouring... i put a foot on the rim of the bucket lid... then with two hand i grab the ring and give it a light twist... as it breaks free and turns i stop... then i grasp it on its sides... using my fingers to hold the four corners of the screen against it as i lift...

this allows you to lift the screen WITH the ring... which i then set together onto a towel.... now i pull the ring gently away leaving the screen there where the excess water is wicked away... and i attend to the quick rinse of the bottom section...

i thought of a number of ways to clip the screen in... but by the time id ran two batches... id found THIS PROCEEDURE solved the problem so well it was second nature....

oh...

regarding setting the screen and getting the droop right...

i found that the deeper the droop... the better the material lumped up... so my proceedure for this... was to drap the screen across the bottom section... then every so lightly... rest the ring on it.... then with one hand... i would press it down in the center... till i had a droop so deep it touched the bottom....

THEN i would seat the ring with more pressure... which will pull the screen up JUST an inch or so off the bottom....

this deep droop does two things.... it keeps the poured water rushing through the screen fast... no pool of water filling in over the entire screen...

and two... it concentrates the hash [ or in earlier stages the plant fibers] so well i never felt the need to use the tap to flush the concentrates into a lump every again....

=)

Latest posts

Latest posts