What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...unday-was-caused-by-manufacturing-of-hash-oil

BLACK HAWK, Colo. - A hash oil explosion triggered a fire that destroyed a home in Black Hawk Sunday, the Gilpin County Sheriff's Office now says.

Previously, the Sheriff's Office indicated the explosion involved a butane tank. Butane is used in the process of extracting hash oil from marijuana, and can have explosive fumes.

Neighbors reported seeing flames from a home at 412 Chalet Drive at about 11:15 a.m., investigators said. A neighbor and a passerby stopped and were able to help the injured man out a window and away from the burning home.

The man was transported to St. Anthony Hospital with burns to his hands. Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Cherokee Blake said the man is now being treated at University Hospital.

A dog in the home had burns on its nose and fur, but appeared to be okay. A second dog was found dead inside the structure.

Blake said they are continuing to investigate the explosion.

Nice home, totally destroyed. One dog died the other burned badly. Can't say it enough don't do this inside your domicile, the temperature inside a butane fireball is about 3400 degree's, you will most likely be inside of it screaming, at that temperature the fat on your body will melt. Go down and buy your BHO if you can not afford an enclosed device for extraction.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i heard of an enclosed device explosion recently, so just do it safe no matter what method you use may be better advice.

coreymillia42

I live in city about 100 miles south of Denver. About a month ago a guy burned down his house less than a mile away trying to make oil. What I find strange is that there is no mention of it in any news. Makes me wonder how many crappy neighborhoods, like this one go unreported in mainstream news. I guess poor people have been burning their houses down in drug related incidents for years now. From what I heard he didnt get any manufacturing charges, but arson and endangering children. Every week this year I have searched hash oil explosions/fires. There is almost always a new one.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...cle_88f8195e-8005-11e4-8979-73b90be67d4f.html

Hash oil cited in North Pole explosion that damaged home

Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:43 pm | Updated: 11:23 pm, Tue Dec 9, 2014.
Staff Report
FAIRBANKS — The North Pole Fire Department is blaming hash oil extraction from marijuana for an explosion that engulfed a kitchen in flames Monday.
Firefighters from North Pole and the North Star Volunteer Fire Department responded to a home on Finell Drive behind Safeway at 6:44*p.m.

Smoke was showing in the doorway when firefighters arrived on scene,*and the kitchen was on fire, according to information released by the department this afternoon. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it spread to any other rooms.
Initial investigation revealed the fire had started while the home’s occupant and a visitor were attempting to chemically extract butane hash oil from marijuana.*Further investigation revealed there may have been a gas explosion that shifted the exterior wall from its foundation.
North Pole Fire Chief Buddy Lane said the two occupants were upfront with firefighters about what they had been doing when they arrived.
“We knew right away what caused the fire,” Lane said.
Butane hash oil is sought after because of its increased potency.*The process of producing hash oil typically involves passing liquid butane through a tube filled with marijuana, extracting the resin. The butane is then boiled off, leaving just the resin.
The two occupants completed extracting the hash oil in the bathroom, likely leaving pockets of butane in the air that would have settled in the living room, Lane said.
After the extraction process, the occupants moved to the kitchen to boil down the hash oil. That’s when the fire started, eventually leading to the explosion.
They opened the door to escape the fire, “which allowed the air mixture to bring everything within its explosive limits,” Lane said.
No one was injured in the fire, and the investigation is still ongoing, according to the fire department.
One of the people involved in the fire was renting the home, according to the fire department. Lane estimated the damage from the fire at about $40,000.
The Statewide Drug Enforcement Unit is conducting the criminal investigation regarding the hash oil production. Sgt. Josh Moore with the enforcement unit said, as of Tuesday afternoon, they were working with the district attorney to determine whether any charges will be filed.

Fortunately Santa wasn't injured or there would have been hell to pay, the two elves that were blasting in a dwelling were automatically entered into this years Darwin Award. That one single thing causes 95% of the explosions and fires, don't do this in your home or apartment, don't be in an enclosed area without fans blowing the fumes away from you. Read and apply all the rules that are in the sticky about safety while using butane. If you have to borrow money and buy an enclosed unit, they are 1/3 the cost of one day in a burn ward. Lots of long term agony goes one mistake and then its jail time.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Tuesday, December 16, 2014 06:08PM

PORTERVILLE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are investigating an explosion caused by an illegal marijuana operation in Porterville. The fire destroyed a house and sent one person to the hospital.

The walls of the house on North Beverly Drive are still charred after an explosion sent the entire home up in flames. Officers and firefighters responded to the house at around 8 p.m. Monday.

"While officers were there about 20 minutes later we got a report of a subject that was at the hospital suffering severe burns to his upper torso and face," said Dominic Barteau of the Porterville Police Department.

A search warrant revealed a marijuana grow was in the backyard, and that the suspect -- Arturo Rodriguez -- was trying to extract honey oil, or concentrated cannabis, from the marijuana.

"It's extremely dangerous," said Barteau. "They're using highly-volatile chemicals and it's not uncommon for them to explode like this because of the chemicals that they use in the process."

"We just heard a loud explosion as we were watching TV, me and my girlfriend, and by the time we came out the whole house was engulfed in flames," said Ivan Rayna, a neighbor.

Once inside, officers found 20 pounds of processed marijuana and 400 containers of butane. Butane bottles were still scattered across the driveway on Tuesday. Neighbors said once the fire was going they could hear the bottles exploding one by one.

"Kind of hard to believe that it's just next door, this was all going on," said Rayna.

Neighbors say there was a drive-by shooting at the house back on Halloween. Officers say Rodriguez had a medical marijuana card, but he is still facing charges for processing the marijuana illegally. He's still in critical condition at a hospital.

Rodriguez's roommate Jorge Beltran is also facing charges for possessing a high-powered assault rifle."

Video at source,

http://abc30.com/news/illegal-marijuana-operation-blamed-for-porterville-house-explosion/439819/

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://fox40.com/2014/12/02/home-torched-in-honey-oil-lab-explosion/

Go to the above site and look at the damage done, the walls were blown off of their foundations and the house looks totaled.

Don't do this inside of a dwelling where the gas will pool if given a chance. The loss of his house, the injuries sustained will cost in the 100's of thousands and thats not counting the time he'll serve at .26 cents an hour. A closed system costs less than $2000 or less if you put it together yourself. There has been no verifiable fires or explosions with a closed system as far as I know.

OROVILLE-

Three people were severely burned in*a marijuana lab explosion in Oroville over the weekend.
According to Butte County Sheriffs, officers with the help from Cal Fire determined the house fire was caused by the manufacturing of butane honey oil, a highly concentrated form of marijuana.
Detectives said the home was heavily damaged by the ignition of butane vapors. The ignition caused a shock wave that preceded the fire, causing major damage to the home.
Photo Gallery
 View Gallery (4 images)
The explosion blew walls off of their foundations and knocked windows out of their frames. Detectives found several dozen butane canisters around the explosion area. Some canisters were found as far away as 200 feet.
A search warrant led SEU Detectives to evidence of marijuana cultivation, including a large amount of marijuana stored in plastic tubs, according to sheriffs. They also found several firearms and several vials of illegal steroids.
The owner of the property, Brandon Qassem, 30, was taken to a hospital for burns suffered in the explosion. He is currently listed in critical condition.
Two young teens, ages 13 and 15, were with Qassem at the time of the explosion. They are listed in critical but stable condition. The teens are from outside of the area, and were visiting Qassem for Thanksgiving.
This is an ongoing investigation and criminal charges will be brought against Qassem when he recovers from his burn injuries.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Anyone smart enough to run closed loop, would not even do that indoor, without lab quality ventillation, and fire suppression system.

Please do not prove the old saying, "common sense, is not that common".

Can someone post links to video's of what 1 oz (or other volumes) of butane looks like exploding??

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Anyone smart enough to run closed loop, would not even do that indoor, without lab quality ventillation, and fire suppression system.

Please do not prove the old saying, "common sense, is not that common".

Can someone post links to video's of what 1 oz (or other volumes) of butane looks like exploding??

One can is 5.3333 oz, so a one lb or three can explosion would be a better small test.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that. I am sure it would destroy a kitchen and anyone in it.

:joint:

jump /injack

Veteran
There was posted on this thread a scenario put together by a fire department showing in slow motion the bomb like blast, it was back a ways but its on this thread. You can buy a lot of different types of fire resistant things like suits or just sleeves to protect your arms, not that expensive either. Being in a butane explosion and fire is a real life changer, be extremely careful and prudent, the damage to people, animals, children and property where there is a explosion of over 3000 degree is memorable for those inside the fireball. Check out the procedures that are in the stickies by Gray Wolf, follow them religiously.

i'm really glad we made this sticky and want to thank everyone who's participated with news stories etc. if only 1 person decides not to blast inside after seeing this we are ahead of the game.

I've blasted over 30 batches of Bho (40g's at a time) in my backyard, when the neighbours aren't home. Always on a windy day & I'm always alone.
Yet I'm only on page 3 of this thread & you've already got me re-evaluating my position.
It's a shame closed systems are so expensive.

In legal states, dispensaries &/or growers with a closed system could process home growers bud for a fee? Just a thought.

Storm Shadow, I'm surprised Bho hasn't taken off in Britain considering hash was easily available in years past (according to ex-pat Brits, travelers & friends who lived in England for a time, many years ago.)
It hasn't taken off in Aus. either (looking at all the explosions in the U.S. maybe that's a good thing - we also have our fair share of the not-so-bright).
I'm also concerned about tolerance, so I save my oil for when my chronically severe nerve pain is at it's worst, just one hit of hash knocks the pain on the head.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One can is 5.3333 oz, so a one lb or three can explosion would be a better small test.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that. I am sure it would destroy a kitchen and anyone in it.

To appreciate what happens in the blink of an eye, consider that, a pound of butane will occupy about 288 X its liquid volume in vapor and at lower ignition limit of around 1.8%, would produce about a 9 cubic foot mixture that will expand almost instantly when ignited, directly proportional to its increase in temperature from ambient at say 70F, to over 3500F.

That toasty expanding air seeking an exit, is what takes out the roof and walls and fries living things.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Thank you, GW. Could you please quantify the flammability of ethanol in similar fashion?

I work around open alcohol vapors in dry ice. Used to chill solvent. I don't allow any open flame near the CLS, but does the alcohol vapor run a chance of igniting from static or other source?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you, GW. Could you please quantify the flammability of ethanol in similar fashion?

Ethanol is typically below its boiling point in a room, while butane is above it's, so dispersal is different.

The Ethanol vapor is half again as heavy as air, so will try to hug the floor and burn with about a 3488F almost invisible blue flame.

Its lower ignition limits are about 3.3% but it will still burn as high as 19%, while butane has a range of 1.8 to about 8.4%.

A pound of ethanol would occupy abut 35 cubic inches, so at 3.3%, it would produce an explosive unit of about .62 cubic feet, which would still heat and expand from ambient, to about 3488F.

Not nearly the explosive hazard, but not to be taken lightly either.

I work around open alcohol vapors in dry ice. Used to chill solvent. I don't allow any open flame near the CLS, but does the alcohol vapor run a chance of igniting from static or other source?

Explosion is not the concern for alcohol- Fire is. It is VERY easy for static to ignite alcohol. Open use of flammable liquids should be avoided. Get lids on things and use bonded metal containers. When you must use open containers for working make sure proper ventilation is happening.

Static or sparks from dropping tools are the most common cause of industrial fires when dealing with flammable liquids.

Do not take flammable liquids for granted. They create one of the most deadly fire situations. The fire spreads instantly and within seconds can have a whole building on fire. You really need a proper area and equipment to work with flammable liquids.

But in small quantities? Like, say, a liter or less?

The issue with flammable liquids is how fast they spread the fire. A liter spilled on a table or floor will create an instant big fire. By the time the liter is burned up everything else in the room is on fire.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.redding.com/news/local-n...re-of-marijuana-hash-in-shasta-county-history

UPDATED: Police: Fire leads to largest seizure of marijuana, hash in Shasta County history
11:20 AM, Dec 11, 2014
5:25 PM, Dec 12, 2014

REDDING, California - Shasta County drug agents say they seized the largest cache of butane-produced concentrated marijuana in Shasta County while investigating a Tuesday explosion allegedly sparked by the marijuana manufacturing method.

“This is a lot closer to a commercial production. This wasn’t just a couple of guys getting together making something for Friday night,” said Sgt. Les James, the Shasta Interagency Narcotics Task Force’s commander.

SINTF agents found 152.5 pounds of marijuana and 7.5 pounds of concentrated cannabis — also known as honey oil — worth some $136,000 at the west Redding home in the 4000 block of Remington Drive after the blaze, investigators said Thursday.

The explosion was reported in an attached garage about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday night, and the ensuing fire destroyed the garage and damaged part of the house.

By the time firefighters arrived, the occupants had left the scene, and James said authorities still have not found them.

Investigators later determined the blaze was linked to the use of butane to produce concentrated cannabis, James said, so police got a search warrant for the home. During the search, they discovered the large amount of marijuana, hash, scales and other evidence of illegal sales.

James said it was the largest seizure of its type in Shasta County, with most honey-oil operations yielding only a few ounces of concentrated cannabis compared to the 7.5 pounds found in this case.

“Normally we get very little,” he said. “It’s usually so small, it’s burnt up in the fire.”

It was also the largest operation in physical size, James said, noting that most operations have one or maybe up to three tubes used to produce the concentrated cannabis, but this one had more than 20 large tubes.

James said honey-oil productions have been around since the 1960s, but they’ve only gained popularity in the past five years or so.

They’re preferred by some drug-dealers because the THC content in the final product is much higher, James said. Regular marijuana usually has 20 to 30 percent THC, for example, but concentrated cannabis has up to 80 percent, he said.