What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Best cleanest highest quality nutes

Steele Savage

Boutique Breeder
Veteran
So I have a GH flora line and it’s great easy and everything.

However someone told I should reslly
Look into canna

Any canna guys out here
I started out on GH 30 yrs ago, ran it for a good 5 or six yrs before switching it up and trying different things, including Canna.. I discovered Dyna-Gro based on the recommendation of another grower and hydro shop owner. I SCOFFED at the 1 part feed but after trying it, I still use it, 20+ yrs later.

Is it the best? I don't know, but based on my experiences, it's better than what I ran back in those days. I have no idea what's available now and my growing is completely different now, as it's pretty exclusively outdoor using mostly organic inputs..

Steele

Old Uncle Ben

This is a good brand

Yes it is.

Over my 50 years of growing about everything under the sun and trying most (commercial) fertilizers on the market, my faves are Peters, Dyna-Gro, and Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus. All high quality pure salts with none of the cheesey hype and labels that go with the cannabis specific nutes which I've never used.

You got to be kidding me.......

1720265977178.png

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Yes it is.

Over my 50 years of growing about everything under the sun and trying most (commercial) fertilizers on the market, my faves are Peters, Dyna-Gro, and Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor Plus. All high quality pure salts with none of the cheesey hype and labels that go with the cannabis specific nutes which I've never used.

You got to be kidding me.......

View attachment 19028276

I like how you say you never used cannabis specific nutrients yet you bang the drum all over the site how they are crap. Give it a rest.

For those who are interested, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud is the best flower booster in my experience from doing years of experimenting. I start Big Bud after the stretch has stopped and I have replenished the nitrogen the plants have used during the stretch.

As the stretch is coming to an end I feed a well balanced base nutrient of 50/50 veg/bloom to give a little N. Next feeding will be using Big Bud. 5ml/gallon is all I use and continue as part of the nutrient program until the beginning of the 6th week.

I then switch to Advanced Nutrients Overdrive for two weeks before the week of plain water and harvest. This basic schedule is for a 9-10 week flowering time.

My nutrient solutions (for hydroponics but can be used in soil just delete the hygrozyme) ingredients include..

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro grow and bloom
Botanicare Cal/mag
Big Bud
Overdrive
Dynagro Protekt silica
Hygrozyme (6ml per gallon in res)

The most important detail of hydroponics is to completely changed out the res each week, clean, fill with quality water, add nutrients to desired ppm/ec, then pH properly.

How I mix a res or nutrients for soil. First I add my additives as specified on the bottle. Once all additives are added and mixed well I top off with base nutrient to desired ppm/ec level. Example. RO water. Add cal/mag to 200 ppm. Add remaining additives as specified. Should be in the 4-500ppm range. Then add you base nutrient, bringing the solution up to 800-1200 ppm depending on flower stage.

If you have a strain that is difficult to control the stretch Advanced Bud Blood at the beginning of flower will slow that stretch and encourage faster flower set.

Just like a race car you don't put 87 in it you use high grade race fuel. High grade nutrient equals high grade cannabis as long as the environment is dialed properly.

Cheap nutrients work and some people have great success or the results please them. Me...I prefer to give the best to harvest the best.

Old Uncle Ben

For those who are interested, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud is the best flower booster in my experience from doing years of experimenting. I start Big Bud after the stretch has stopped and I have replenished the nitrogen the plants have used during the stretch.

There is no such thing as a Flower Booster botanically. Contrary to the hype which you suck up to Senor Frijoles, neither P nor K are flowering stimulants. They are not hormones. They are macros and the ol mo is better is noob fodder. Now, once the major part of bulking up has occurred, after the stretch for example, if you FEEL like cutting back on the N in relation to P and K....fine. Go for it. Big Bud is a 0-1-3. Plant still needs N, not a bunch of marketing hooey.

I can tell from the sparse, yellow foliage of some folks' gardens what they've been using (or not using).

This old Trainwreck X Sweetooth #4 got N until harvest. (20 years ago) Colas and buds were huge, nourished by plenty of deep green chlorophyll rich healthy leaves. Was crammed into the indoor garden under HID's, 1,000W, about a 25 s.f. garden footprint. So much for another forum crap paradigm - buds need light.

TrainXSweettooth42DaysFlowerC1_15_04.jpg

Keep it green,
Uncle Ben

Old Uncle Ben

I like how you say you never used cannabis specific nutrients yet you bang the drum all over the site how they are crap. Give it a rest.

That's because I know plant nutrition, what makes a plant tick. I have never bought based on The Herd mentality, only based on a bonafide guaranteed analysis. Too many times cannabis hawkers don't publish their guaranteed analysis which raises a red flag. "But but....it's a trade secret!"

right

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Big Bud is more than just PK. Amino acids play a significant role in plant growth. Here's an article from Nature Safe which explains it well. I use nature safe on the golf course.

Big Bud contains:
"Ascorbic acid, citric acid, all 20 L-form amino acids, potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium"

Keep it green!

image000005.jpg
image000000(1) (1).jpg
382.jpg
387.jpg
384.jpg

Hiddenjems

Cannabis specific nutes are trash. The only “real” growers (high production facilities) that use them are sponsored by the companies to sell product.

I’ve never seen professional ag products produce the kind of issues I see every day with 5,000 bottle cannabis nutes.

Dime

I don't think you can force plants and also believe they are somewhat selective. I think if they have everything available that they need ,the rest is marketing,but that's just me. I've been using gh 3 part for over 25 years and their bar has never been surpassed and the rest copied,the only other one that was almost as good (for me) is the old dnf from homegrown hydroponics but it's gone or at least I haven't seen it in my area in a decade or more and it was just made from the 6part otc salts. Most fertilizers are bought and repackaged from the big suppliers who actually make it like CIL( my father worked his entire life for at a CIL plant making phosphoric acid ,nitric acid ,and ammonia and I worked there for 4 years),,Butrium,Agrium,eurochem,achron and a lot comes from Russia like uralchem,it's too costly and dangerous to mine and refine it etc so the companies we buy from source it from the big guys and stamp their name on it.. I have used Peters for outdoor plants and it dissolves purely with no preciptation and is gentle.. I have also used scotts/ miracle grow ferts with good results. The greenhouse owner down the road from me who makes a living selling thousands of plants uses strictly scotts(who also makes roundup,ortho and tomcat) for simplicity and cost ,and he would put anyone on this board to shame.I consider ammendments to be snake oil but that doesn't mean they are if they can use it,just I haven't noticed anything to write home about after trying them. When I started growing ,the hydroponic stores were hot so I bought bags of salts (the bags had "CIL" on them)and met the owner after hours in a busy parking lot so I wouldn't risk a bust and learned how to make a 3 part formula,the third part being epsom salt, . I screwed up a lot,probably more than the average person but now I have full confidence. In the end whatever works for the individual is what they should use and we can all learn from someone else... I'm by no means and a far cry from being a master gardener but the reality is that a lot of what we read is bs.

i.love.scotch

I've realized when I say to replace inorganic calmag with organic calmag, people have no idea what that means.

Calcium nitrate is the worst form of fertilizer. The fertilizer company is well aware that high Nitrate levels attract pests. Nitrate is a dietary requirement of spider mites. Nitrate has to be converted to 4 other forms of nitrogen before it can be put into plant tissue. That energy wasting process is what attracts fungal pathogens.

If you replace calcium-magnesium nitrate with calcium-magnesium glycinate, you have organic nitrogen that does not attract bugs and mold. You are putting carbohydrates into the system instead of taking them away. The glycine will easily convert to other aminos, peptides then proteins that most bugs (anything smaller than a grasshopper) cannot eat. High temps only cause spider mites when the plant runs out of carbon and starts breaking its aminos back down into Nitrate for internal decomposting (hollow stem catabolsim). Most "faded" plants you see are faded due to failed Nitrate reductase, excess Nitrate that is failing to convert into flavor precursors (amino acids).

Fertilizer is the cause behind everything right or wrong with a crop.

That's weird cause all of the best growers I know tend to say nutrients are just about the least important factor in everything right or wrong with a crop.

I think a skilled grower can rock anything from Miracle Grow to full blown JADAM KNF Ferment Fed Living Soil Organic and get great results either way.

If you can listen to the plant, you can keep it happy with just about any food.

Management of the light, environment and watering regimen are far more important than the fertilizer IMO.

I've smoked plenty of Fantastic flower grown with Calcium Nitrate. Maybe not quite as nice as something grown very well organically but its no where near "make it or break it" on quality.

And if anything I would just say the expression is different, not better or worse.

Some profiles are nicer when grown organically while others are nicer grown with salts. For example I've had some citrusy sativa types that are crisp and clean with salts but then become cloying when grown organically. Meanwhile other cultivars that seemed a bit flat with salts can pop a bit better organic.

Nothing is black and white. When I see something black and white, "this is the worst, this is the best, this will give you mites, this is the cause of everything bad", my snake oil alarm goes off

Last edited:
Whoever says that you have "pure" nutes is talking bullshit. Agro chemicals are not pure but rather they are cheap. For 3 bucks per kilo retail you do not get sophisticated purification.
If you want to see what pure (99,99 %) costs look at sigma aldrich.

It is well known that phosphate fertilizer contains significant amounts of uranium and other heavy metals. Derived products such as calcium nitrate are not cleaner.

Cannabis specific nutrients are not worse or better than standard agro chemicals. They have better marketing and higher prices but at a chemical plant that produces megatonnes per year does not have "floor sweepings". That stuff does not exist.

Hiddenjems

Whoever says that you have "pure" nutes is talking bullshit. Agro chemicals are not pure but rather they are cheap. For 3 bucks per kilo retail you do not get sophisticated purification.
If you want to see what pure (99,99 %) costs look at sigma aldrich.

It is well known that phosphate fertilizer contains significant amounts of uranium and other heavy metals. Derived products such as calcium nitrate are not cleaner.

Cannabis specific nutrients are not worse or better than standard agro chemicals. They have better marketing and higher prices but at a chemical plant that produces megatonnes per year does not have "floor sweepings". That stuff does not exist.
Ag products for food production are the cleanest you’re going to get. They are all tested for heavy metals.

Ag products for food production are the cleanest you’re going to get. They are all tested for heavy metals.
No, you can get much purer salts. You just have to pay for them and that is not economical at scale.

Testing for heavy metals is fine and dandy but then what? There are governmental reports assesing how much uranium is put on farm lands. Uranium is an impurity in phosphate fertilizer. Other heavy metals are also monitored.
Sure they tested the uranium (a heavy metal) content of the fertilizer and then proceded anyways.

My point is not to stay away from salts. (Organic is equal or worse in that regard.) But to stop lying to yourself.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Ive run a lot and i mean a LOT of nutrient lines. Nothing has compared when it comes to mixing readily and end results for my personal setup. Ive run maxibloom, gh, canna, veg + bloom, aptus, front row, botanicare, advanced, roots organics, fox farm, cyco and obviously H & G and over the years its been really clear we have our best results from H&G hands down. Im sure im forgetting others ive tried. Im all for those who make their own nutrients but i just am not a chemist and i dont have time to mess with all of that. I work a lot. For me its all about personal goals and individual facilities. Different strokes for different folks amirite!?
When you say best results do you mean highest yield or most flavorful smooth burning joints?

xtsho

Cannabis specific nutrients are basically marketing hype. Any brand with a feed chart that has you measuring out 10 different products is just nonsense and the only people that buy into it are cannabis growers that have never grown any other plant.

As for "clean" nutes. None of the cannabis specific nutrients that come in a bottle make the ingredients. They just buy them in bulk and mix it according to their recipe. The ingredients come from a few global companies like Yara, Haifa, ICL, Mosaic, etc...

Advanced Nutrients and all the rest are just mixing stuff. Many of them don't even do that. There are companies that will mix whatever you want, bottle it for you, and deliver on a pallet to wherever you want. That's how those ridiculous brands like Snoop Dog, and many others do it. They have a third party handle everything for them.

Some people seem to think that cannabis has some special requirements that other plants don't. Cannabis has the same basic requirements. Playing chemist mixing 2mm of this and 3mm of that using half a dozen or more bottles is just wasting time and money. I know some just can believe it but it's true. Cannabis is a very easy plant to grow. Many people would have better results if they stopped overthinking and buying into all the cannabis nonsense they read online.

I used this for years and it delivered better results than other brands I've used. In fact I switched to it after having to take out a second mortgage on my house to finish a run using Botanicare. Talk about overpriced. And there is nothing special about it.

These are extremely clean, water soluble nutrients. Just a mixture of different chemical salts. Leaves no gunk in the reservoir, and doesn't clog the 3mm lines used for Blumats.

I only use part A and B. Part C which is just MKP is not needed. There is plenty of P&K in Part A. Only available in Oregon. It's the house blend from the oldest Hydro shop in Portland 1982 until they moved next to the Flying Skull facility. I read somewhere that it was originally called Golden Grow because it has a golden color. These guys were using it back in the 80's long before many were even born and companies like AN didn't even exist. Nothing fancy, just everything your plants need for a decent price. Flying Skull uses the same basic micro formula they just add some aminos and vitamins. Same people behind both companies. VitaGrow was first though and has been around for a very long time. Flying Skull is available worldwide.

vitagrowcollage.jpg

1720369795658.png

CharlesU Farley

Figured I ought to go ahead and post the link, so anybody who cares about fertilizer purity can check out what they're using.

I certainly hope all of you organic fanatics will utilize this link. Believe it or not, eye of newt, batshit from gnomes and labia of virgin are not as pure and organic as you think it is. ;)

Now that now that langbenite shit, I'm not sure about.🤣😂🤣

Latest posts

Latest posts