What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Rod: most people I know use HPS. I know a couple of people who have used Gravitas side by side with HPS, and yes there is a difference, but if you are starting out the cost is nowhere near worth the improvement in yeild. You are much better off buying more HPS lighting. I don't know anyone who uses LED, and although it is getting better, it's not quite there yet. All the big house busts you see still use HPS. Maybe it is old school, but they are cost effective and do the job. Just my two cents. If you are rich and want the best homegrown for personal, maybe get a gravita, otherwise get more hps :)

G `day P

All the big house busts we see on TV are the same syndicate .
Same methods , same boss - Vietnamese .

Every set up is the same .

I`m pretty sure that most growers have moved on from witches hat light shades ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

N

nordie

:biggrin: checking through my old gear I found this old treasure.
picture.php

Brother Nature

Hey Rod, Just to input my 2 cents on going indoor, I couldn't recommend LED's and blumats more if you're wanting an easy indoor grow, especially with coco. My light is the same LED that takes the 2nd to top spot in Elmers linked video above and I couldn't be happier with it. They produce very little excess heat and an excellent rate of light. My little tent is only 40cm x 40cm x 120cm high and looks like she's gonna produce a fair bit out of this grow. I'd reckon for what you're wanting a small tent would couple well with 4 good LED's like the Cree 3590's, the initial cost would be a bit more than HPS but you'd save in power in the long run and temp control is a lot easier with them. The tech can be a bit to get your head around, but at least you're in the right part f the internet to find that info.

I really think LED's are the way to go forward, I'm in no way an expert grower and even my little tent was looking pretty full a good week before harvest.

picture.php

Brother Nature

That looks really good Rod, it's got a much more streamlined look than the Chinese ones too. Best of luck with your decision making, I know how hard it can be ha.

Sticky Sat

Good luck with the indoor grow Rod, if i had electricity i'd do some too... :)

i hope insomniac.au is fine...

A nice day to all :)

rod58

yeah thanks sticky ! it'll be a while yet so time is in my favour to research some more .
how goes it with you my friend . haha over there living in paradise , albeit a wet one !

rod58

hey budsnblunts , how did your year turn out ?
i know it was pretty disappointing re the mould you had but did any escape it ?
as i keep saying mate , there's always next year !

Pumpkin

Veteran
I personally think LED's just won't cut it, and have the penetration depth on a well organised canopy. If yield is not you desired outcome, I assume it might be fine, but i would never rip out hps and replace it with led if my interests were commercial. If my interests were environmental, or I was on solar, I may reconsider. And I have not ran LED's side by side with HPS, but I can guess I'd still kill it per square meter with HPS, because my buds are ripe deep into the canopy, not just the shit on the top. I do not know personally anyone commercial running LEDs. We may all be in a few years, but they are not yet, and it is not just because we are stubborn and old school.

Brother Nature

It all adds up though Pumpkin, if you're paying even 1/4 less on your electricity bill for a commercial grow, that small loss in yield is made up for. Less expensive investments in air extraction also adds up too.

I know (through a friend of course) of a commercial grower that would pull roughly 20-22oz a month in a perpetual grow, MH/HPS combo and SOG. He made the move to LED's from a HPS/MH mix and within two months he'd bought a brand new Harley. ;) Still gets a solid 20 a month and pays half the power. I personally think the weed is better now too, but that's probably just because he's renewed his interest in growing and has started paying attention again.

I've just harvested under my 54w Cree as well, once it's dried, I'll post my gpw and from my pull I'd be shocked if it's lower than .75g/watt. To each his own though, it took me a while to bite the LED bullet, but I just couldn't run an HPS or fluro in the space with the same performance.

Pumpkin

Veteran
"1/4 less on your electricity bill for a commercial grow"

I think the limiting factor is normally space, and not availability of power. So if space is the constraint, then weight per square meter is the goal. Unless you are awful, you will always make up the cost of the extra power.

H

hard rain

I personally think LED's just won't cut it, and have the penetration depth on a well organised canopy. If yield is not you desired outcome, I assume it might be fine, but i would never rip out hps and replace it with led if my interests were commercial. If my interests were environmental, or I was on solar, I may reconsider. And I have not ran LED's side by side with HPS, but I can guess I'd still kill it per square meter with HPS, because my buds are ripe deep into the canopy, not just the shit on the top. I do not know personally anyone commercial running LEDs. We may all be in a few years, but they are not yet, and it is not just because we are stubborn and old school.
I swapped my HPS for a LED and I have much better penetration with the LED. Where do you get the idea that HPS have better penetration? My LED grown has better yield, better quality smoke. LED's most definitely cut it.
I am not a commercial grower but there seem to be quite a few that use LED's.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo brothers from the oder side of the globe, sorry to bother you but I have a question and maybe you can help me out please. I received a cannabis cut called NewZealand Haze. Don't know nothing else.

It's a mostly sativa hybrid, with a really flowery/fruity aroma, long flowering, large buds, high THC content (23-24%).

Do you know something about this cut? Don't even know if it comes from your side of it was bred here in Europe.

Thanks guys, love to everyone :huggg:

ozzieAI

Veteran

sorry pumpkin but hps has been left behind, i see 1600w of current led tech kicking 2400w of hps...all day every day....
add that 800w difference to the reduced environmental control power costs and ol mate is getting more weight of better buds at 70% of the hps power need...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Yo brothers from the oder side of the globe, sorry to bother you but I have a question and maybe you can help me out please. I received a cannabis cut called NewZealand Haze. Don't know nothing else.

It's a mostly sativa hybrid, with a really flowery/fruity aroma, long flowering, large buds, high THC content (23-24%).

Do you know something about this cut? Don't even know if it comes from your side of it was bred here in Europe.

Thanks guys, love to everyone :huggg:
there was a company using the name new zealand in their strain descriptions ,
i doubted they were from nz though ,
more likely just using a far off name to attract attention ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts