What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teddybrae

DISPENSE YOUR KNOWLEDGE MAESTRO!

DISPENSE YOUR KNOWLEDGE MAESTRO!

Hello Sticky

This is White Widow (Fast).

It is growing in red basalt soil amended with Chicken and Cow manure and Compost.

It is being foliar sprayed weekly with Ca/Mg/Boron, alternating with foliar 10/10/10.

I just top-dressed more compost and since heads began to show I have sprayed high Potash kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum) a couple of times.

The soil is being treated with Kelp, Fish and Chelating agents fortnightly.

If these were your plants what would you be doing to feed them at this stage?

Thanks! Respect!

(NOTE FOR WALLY: Wally, I just found my Molasses so I 'll also give the soil bacteria some sugar.)

picture.php

picture.php

Sticky Sat

Well I don't know how you do it either. I have never had heads like that and there's not even a monsoon on my island!

Hey Teddy, i'm sure your big healthy girls will be at least as nice... :)
Guess it's the same for all of us as most bud pics i look at seem much nicer than what i have... ;)

Sticky Sat

Hello Sticky

This is White Widow (Fast).

It is growing in red basalt soil amended with Chicken and Cow manure and Compost.

It is being foliar sprayed weekly with Ca/Mg/Boron, alternating with foliar 10/10/10.

I just top-dressed more compost and since heads began to show I have sprayed high Potash kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum) a couple of times.

The soil is being treated with Kelp, Fish and Chelating agents fortnightly.

If these were your plants what would you be doing to feed them at this stage?

Thanks! Respect!

(NOTE FOR WALLY: Wally, I just found my Molasses so I 'll also give the soil bacteria some sugar.)

Very nice plants Teddy ! :) i'm certainly one of the less knowledgeable grower on this site but i'd say you pretty much covered everything my friend. Adding molasses will definitely help a lot, especially during the last 3 weeks :)

My soil is a mix of everything good i find at the moment.
Usually the first 6 inches of forest soil, horse and chicken manure, local kelp, a bit of coral white sand, river sand (to improve drainage...), shredded coconut husks, humus taken from bamboo groves and home made compost rich in bananas peels and mowed grass.
I activate the compost fermentation with EM and also water the plants weekly with it (1 ml/1 L is perfect with 2 ml molasses added)

My main concern is to keep the soil as alive as possible, bacterias being the best chelating agents, ph regulators, nutrients producers ever... ;)

I mostly fertilize (foliar and soil) with KNF recipes like FPJ and/or FFJ, WSCA etc... I've seen a thread about KNF on icmag not too long ago, it's a really interesting method that deserves being explored... :) So far i've tried different local plants with interesting results, the best ones being banana flowers, noni green fruits, wedelia chinensis and verbaena cayennensis.

For pests control i only use black soap and/or neem oil with essential oils (sweet orange, tea tree, rosemary etc...) that i switch to avoid building resistance. No more spray after first week of flowering but for long flowering strain you can go longer.

Milk (at 10 % with water) is excellent too against soft bellies insects, providing Cal, amino acids and sugars at the same time... :)

I guess we all have to find the most suitable adaptations for our respective weathers but i'm quite sure KNF would even be better for you than here where rain too often drown the bacterias...

T

Teddybrae

I have to quote you Rod!

We all know the English (not so much the Scots who are always very tolerant) have a name for a Condom ... which is 'French Letter'.

I wondered about this for a long time until I discovered the French call Condoms "un capote Anglais". Which means an English hat or cap. (This is correct Sticky ... yes?)

Why can't we all get along?

haha , bloody frogs ! ...:tiphat::biggrin:

Sticky Sat

Hey Teddy, you're right man, the exact name is "capote anglaise" as there's gender involved etc... ;) Guess we'd get along well if we were not purposefully divided... :)

ozzieAI

Veteran
it's just rain, rain and more rain here...creek is flooded and i can't get out...still got a couple of more days of this to go...

good to see some happy plants...don't know how you do it Mr Mallard and sticky, my plants always look like shit in this weather....

BTW sticky insects can't build a resistance to neem oil as it affects the insects hormones and there is no way they can pass that on to future generations...as long as you use PURE neem oil and not that hydrophobic crap....

stay safe people....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
getting the odd break here ozzie ,
but otherwise its continual ,

yea im surprised at the way the plants are handling it to be honest ,
thankfully most are only in early flower ,
i noted mold on two plants that were further ahead ,
just due to damage , the rest are handling it not too badly ,

in fact if it stops soon and clears up , its probably helped them along a little ,
bloody bushy as those girls ... lol ..

Sticky Sat

it's just rain, rain and more rain here...creek is flooded and i can't get out...still got a couple of more days of this to go...

good to see some happy plants...don't know how you do it Mr Mallard and sticky, my plants always look like shit in this weather....

BTW sticky insects can't build a resistance to neem oil as it affects the insects hormones and there is no way they can pass that on to future generations...as long as you use PURE neem oil and not that hydrophobic crap....

stay safe people....

Thanks for the nice words and information Ozzie :)

Not sure the neem oil i use is pure (have to check...) but it's pretty effective when used once a week. When there's too many white flies i spray every 3 days, five times. That's when i use the black soap every other time (as a wetting agent, pure olive oil is interesting too)... It's the essential oils that i switch weekly but when needed, i mix a cocktail... ;) It really helps controling pests and viruses, and plants seem to enjoy it :)

Hope the sun will soon be back for you my friends :)

budsnblunts

Veteran
Hey fullas been having 30 degree plus days. Outdoor plants are about two weeks into flower. Have another inside round as well. 3rd week 3rd day.

Sticky Sat

Once again the ants felt the rain coming... They were super busy going up all last week but i hoped there was another reason as we hardly had a few sunny days in 6 weeks... Well, there's buckets falling since yesterday and forecasts say we'll get lots of water but won't see any sun the next 2 weeks. Plants only had about 10 more days to go... Guess i'll let them under the roof 2 or 3 more days and cut a bit early. Always frustrating but it's the rainy season and it should be good enough for cookies anyway... ;)

Poor girls don't look too happy but at least they don't get soaked...
attachment.php

Attachments

• O head.jpg
    O head.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 16

Brother Nature

Hey guys (or should I say fullas, hehe) I'm having a little bit of an issue with my current grow and felt like I'd ask here as

I think it's somewhat related to our hot weather. I'm currently at 14 days flower and the girl is stretched out like a basketball player. It's only really shot up in the last week or so and it feels like it's partly due to the rise in temps, my little tent went from an average of 24-25 degrees to 28-30 lights on, about 25-26 on lights off. So what do you indoor guys do to help mitigate the heat? It may just be the strain as it's an unknown one to me and seems to be very sativa leaning, but any tips and tricks are welcome.

I've also over fed them a bit and can see a bit of salt build up on the coco. The ec of the res is about 1.8 now and I'll definitely lower it back to a more comfortable 1.2, but I'm wondering if anyone can assist in the best way to flush that excess salt out of the coco? I'd assume a flush with about 10l of RO water would help as the container it's in is roughly 5l. I'd couple that with a feeding of half strength nutes for a couple days following, but also wondering if there's a better way to clean out that excess, currently I can't grab any drip clean as I'm rather immobile with a broken ass foot and no car (I had a dumb ass motorcycle accident).

I'll definitely post up the question in the coco thread once lights are on and I can contribute some photos, but if anyone here has any advice I'd be more than a happy kiwi to hear it.

I'm also currently searching the coco forums for a possible answer, but I figure most of use here will be awake so can't hurt too much to ask. :D

Brother Nature

Thanks Dogstar, not sure if an A/C unit is really in my budget at the moment, but I may be able to find a small unit that fits in the closet.

insomniac_AU

Hey guys (or should I say fullas, hehe) I'm having a little bit of an issue with my current grow and felt like I'd ask here as

I think it's somewhat related to our hot weather. I'm currently at 14 days flower and the girl is stretched out like a basketball player. It's only really shot up in the last week or so and it feels like it's partly due to the rise in temps, my little tent went from an average of 24-25 degrees to 28-30 lights on, about 25-26 on lights off. So what do you indoor guys do to help mitigate the heat? It may just be the strain as it's an unknown one to me and seems to be very sativa leaning, but any tips and tricks are welcome.

I've also over fed them a bit and can see a bit of salt build up on the coco. The ec of the res is about 1.8 now and I'll definitely lower it back to a more comfortable 1.2, but I'm wondering if anyone can assist in the best way to flush that excess salt out of the coco? I'd assume a flush with about 10l of RO water would help as the container it's in is roughly 5l. I'd couple that with a feeding of half strength nutes for a couple days following, but also wondering if there's a better way to clean out that excess, currently I can't grab any drip clean as I'm rather immobile with a broken ass foot and no car (I had a dumb ass motorcycle accident).

I'll definitely post up the question in the coco thread once lights are on and I can contribute some photos, but if anyone here has any advice I'd be more than a happy kiwi to hear it.

I'm also currently searching the coco forums for a possible answer, but I figure most of use here will be awake so can't hurt too much to ask. :D
Hey BN
I am battling the same problems with a strain I'm not familiar with at the moment. First run it's stretched way more than I anticipated. As far as heat goes it's always a problem in the middle of summer for me too. I do have a fairly large split system but the grow is only cooled by air from inside the house and the A/C is at the other end of the house from the grow. It works ok but not ideal. The only thing I can do to reduce temps is turn up the extraction and pull out more air. You're obviously governed by the ambient temperature of the house though. You just have to make the best of what you have. I wouldn't personally waste my money on one of those free standing A/C units. I've never seen one that was that efficient for the amount of power they use. If you own your own house I'd just save up for at least a decent split system.

Brother Nature

Thanks insomniac,

I'm pretty much in the same situation, our a/c is at the other side of the house too. I'm going to have to add a carbon filter soon as well and because of the setup with the quiet fan it'll be pushing air into it, my plan is to add another 100mm inline fan at the end of the ducting attached to the filter to at least increase the air pressure. Temps are supposed to be dropping somewhat soon so I'll just cross my finger till then lol. It does seem to be fine when the outdoor temps are about or below 30. I've looked at the a/c units and the good ones are well out of my budget and the small ones seem to be evaporative which would add to the humidity. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get a stronger fan, which would help adding a bit of room for more stretching and hopefully a good temp decrease.

The salt build up actually seems rather manageable at the moment, a good flush followed by a lowered dose of nutes should bring things back to normal, she isn't looking sick yet so that's a plus. I'll get someone to take me to the hydro shop too and grab some drip clean, just in case. Anyways, thanks for the help guys, here's some photos, cause everyone likes photos. :D

Whole tent:

picture.php

Tops:
picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.