What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

budsnblunts

Veteran
Our prime minister making deals with america and other powers of the world. The point of changing our flag meant getting rid of the union jack, which is our ties with the British and also the treaty of waitangi. It was the first step to being amercanized. Shit to do with the TPPA and what not....

Goldust

G`day G

What`s up with the Pedro and Man Stoner handles ?
That`s dialog from Cheech and Chong`s Up In Smoke movie from 1970s ??

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hey EB

Yeah it's lines from Up in smoke as the picture up top with big fatty reminded me of that scene

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Our prime minister making deals with america and other powers of the world. The point of changing our flag meant getting rid of the union jack, which is our ties with the British and also the treaty of waitangi. It was the first step to being amercanized. Shit to do with the TPPA and what not....

I like the flags of NZ and Oz...Red stars on NZ, right?

Whatever you do, keep the Union Jack, but keep Britain at arms length, and certainly do not allow your parliament to "Americanize" your country!

Dog Star

Veteran
Yankees go home... LOL hehehehee

No body needs you and everybody knows you... that will be a banner i will hold
somewhere in a mass of people.. ;) heheehehheheehe

They send me Black Ops here anyway... with those false refugie movement..

DC3

This is the alternative flag...I believe it represents modern day NZ but 57% of the voters say keep the old one and that's ok. Nothing to do with TPPA or sucking up to the Americans, lol.

flag.jpg

budsnblunts

Veteran
This is the alternative flag...I believe it represents modern day NZ but 57% of the voters say keep the old one and that's ok. Nothing to do with TPPA or sucking up to the Americans, lol.

View attachment 354629

It has plenty to do with the TPPA, and america. That's where the idea come from in the first place... It had been discussed at conferences in thailand where that flag was flown/tested over a year ago at there big conferences and what not.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Just some random thoughts....

Talking about the NZ flag got me to thinking about the Southern Cross... and that got me to thinking about the month I spent fishing there in '85.

After getting out of Auckland (quickly) and arriving in Turangi, to fish on the Tongariro River..I vividly remember my first night looking at the sky...

I spent a fair amount of time on the oceans when I was younger and a lot of time camping in the wilderness, so the night sky is well ingrained in my mind..
Yet my first night in Turangi, I looked at the sky and realized I was a very long way from home, as I did not recognize even one single star!

Of course, I immediately realized I was looking at the exact opposite side of the entire universe than I had been seeing all my life...

And it was beautiful!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Just some random thoughts....

Talking about the NZ flag got me to thinking about the Southern Cross... and that got me to thinking about the month I spent fishing there in '85.

After getting out of Auckland (quickly) and arriving in Turangi, to fish on the Tongariro River..I vividly remember my first night looking at the sky...

I spent a fair amount of time on the oceans when I was younger and a lot of time camping in the wilderness, so the night sky is well ingrained in my mind..
Yet my first night in Turangi, I looked at the sky and realized I was a very long way from home, as I did not recognize even one single star!

Of course, I immediately realized I was looking at the exact opposite side of the entire universe than I had been seeing all my life...

And it was beautiful!
Pretty awesome isnt it ,, i should take a closer look at the sky next time im in the northern hemisphere ,
i looked ,, but same as you it made no sense to me ,
nothing familiar ..

did it seem we had more stars ,
or does your sky have more does it seem ??

rod58

Pretty awesome isnt it ,, i should take a closer look at the sky next time im in the northern hemisphere ,
i looked ,, but same as you it made no sense to me ,
nothing familiar ..

did it seem we had more stars ,
or does your sky have more does it seem ??

well don , i do think we have a vast amount more stars in our sky , southern hemisphere , than our northern neighbors ..got some pommy friends and they always comment on our night sky ..

budsnblunts

Veteran
Hands down we have more visible stars with less light pollution, massive cities on the other side of the world... We are quite lucky to be able to see the night sky in it's glory, bud green, what you wrote was awesome too....

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I've been a hundred miles into the ocean, so light pollution certainly doesn't count, but I recall that your side of the universe may have a few more stars than my side does...
It just looks so different!

Of course too, since you and I are not at the opposite poles from each other, and accounting for the tilt of our axis in relationship to the sun, I would think there must be some overlap in what we can each see...
Some of the stars I see near the southern horizon must be visible to you on your northern horizon...

I wish my Dad had not passed away so long ago, else I would ask him... He was a navigator in the Navy from 1945 until the early '70's....and he sailed icebreakers to Antarctica twice in the mid 50's...
It was his telling me of the beauty of Christchurch, NZ, that contributed to my desire to go there...

budsnblunts

Veteran
I've been a hundred miles into the ocean, so light pollution certainly doesn't count, but I recall that your side of the universe may have a few more stars than my side does...
It just looks so different!

Of course too, since you and I are not at the opposite poles from each other, and accounting for the tilt of our axis in relationship to the sun, I would think there must be some overlap in what we can each see...
Some of the stars I see near the southern horizon must be visible to you on your northern horizon...

I wish my Dad had not passed away so long ago, else I would ask him... He was a navigator in the Navy from 1945 until the early '70's....and he sailed icebreakers to Antarctica twice in the mid 50's...
It was his telling me of the beauty of Christchurch, NZ, that contributed to my desire to go there...

What are some of your favorite constellations you can see? Maybe we can get a comparison going.

rod58

The Dutch-American astronomer Bart Bok used to say: “The Southern Hemisphere holds all the good stuff.” He was probably referring to the fact that we have “the two best globular clusters, the largest and brightest naked-eye external galaxies, the largest diffuse nebula, the largest dark nebula and a Milky Way bright enough under our dark transparent skies to cast shadows during certain times of the year,”
just something i googled ..

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Well I can always find Ursa Major, also known as the Big Bear, but more commonly known as the Big Dipper...But it is definitely not visible to you, as 2 of the dipper's stars (which are very easy to find) are used to find our North Star..

Orion, I have to hunt for and can't even remember the direction without looking until I see it...

Sagittarius is the Archer and is possibly visible to you.. I can see it near the southern horizon in my summertime...... Are you familiar with it?

anyway, good-night mates.. it's almost midnight here...I'm 16 or 17 hours slower than you....you could say I'm living in the past! lol

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:wave: Afternoon guys and girls :gday:
Hoping everyone has a Safe and Happy Easter holiday break, please be careful on the roads and watch out for the other crazy fuckers on the road who probably shouldn't be standing up let alone behind the steering wheel of a couple of tonnes of moving steel and plastic :yoinks:
:smoke out:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Yea i thought so too ,,
the northern hemisphere sky didnt look as exciting as ours ,
even away from the city where i was ,
im a long way from any city here i live ,, its soo bright up there ,
and i have a theory also ..

most falling stars ive seen, meteorites , were when i was having a pee at night ,
so i suggest holding ones appendage may be the key to many things ,
as if us guys didnt know that already ,, hehe ..

Status
Not open for further replies.