What's new

any college football fans on here?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
ND got a transfer QB from wake forest
whether one likes collegiate "free agency" the way it is, the players LOVE it! schools can't stockpile kids like they used to to keep them from playing at a rival. now, if they feel disrespected or just not getting the playing time they want, it's "fuck you, these guys WANT me on their team..." and i don't blame them. Tennessee's Hendon Hooker was unhappy & came to UT, and what a difference he made! think you can make a starting quality QB sit on the bench "just in case" your favorite gets hurt? good luck with that, your defense will be hating your ass for letting him go...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I'm surprised you like the transfer portal, Hippy, doesnt it seem like it contributes to players not being loyal to their school at all? But ur right, it has helped a lot of teams make up ground in talent acquisition. Hendon hooker coming from VaTech and being a heisman candidate at TN, TCU's top 2 tacklers this season were both from the portal.
With the portal and being able to pick up disgruntled 4 and even 5 star recruits from other programs, you can turn a program around pretty fast, those 2 examples i cited (TN from 7-6 to 11-2, and TCU from 5-7 to 13-2) being noteworthy, as well as USC with lincoln riley.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'm for kids getting to play. Alabama, in particular, used to sign kids that were not going to get playing time there in order to keep them out of other schools line-ups. now, they (or anyone else) can't do that, and i love it! there is no shame in wanting to play instead of riding the bench at a school that had zero intentions of putting you out there. QBs in particular (ALL offense skills players actually), that think they have a shot at the pros, want to play NOW. if you won't give them a chance, kiss them goodbye & hope you picked the winner... this is not about "loyalty", that has to be a two-way street.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Those are all very good points, and yeah, you can only play 1 QB at a time, so if you have two 5 star QB's sitting on your bench what are their options? Used to be they were underclassmen and would learn and practice and study and train and then once the starter graduates or is drafted they would compete in spring practice to be the next year's starter.

xtsho

The Oregon vs Colorado game ended the way people that don't follow hype knew it would. Oregon completely dominated Colorado. Sure wish I would have been in Eugene to watch it live. Oregon made Colorado look like a high school football team.

To quote Coach sub-Prime; That was a 'good old-fashioned butt kicking'

I'm tired of the media circus over Colorado. Sanders didn't come in and turn the program around. He replaced most of the team with his own players. It's not last years team so he didn't turn anything around with some kind of fantastic coaching. Colorado can expect more good old fashioned butt kicking's going forward. Sanders main focus is marketing his and his sons "Brands".

buzzmobile

Veteran
Way to go Volunteers.

1697368759892.jpeg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Vols got their work cut out for them for a spell now. "bama this week, Kentucky up after that and they handled Florida pretty well. then UConn, Missouri, and current no. 1 Georgia. they get Georgia in Knoxville, but i'm not sure how much home field advantage is worth in reality. i'll be happy if they win 3 out of those 5, but would cheerfully give up the other 4 to beat Georgia. :cool:

right

I've seen the huskies at the huskie stadium at MTU
Edit sorry huskies hockey team not football

buzzmobile

Veteran
Haha buzz I first started getting into college football around the early 90s, I remember the sports illustrated issue with scott bentley on the cover, the best high school kicker in the nation who was going to solve all FSU’s problems. I remember the game vs #2 Notre dame that they lost, but they ran the table and ND lost to BC and bentley hit a chip shot FG to beat Nebraska for bowden’s only national title. What do u think of how bobby (RIP) was pushed out by FSU in 2009? Jimbo took over and they won another title in 2013 so I guess it paid off, but it's always awkward when a program has to push out an aging legend.
Good morning, @Bababooey , I dragged this over to the NCAA thread to respond.
I had forgotten Scott Bentley. LOL Sebastian Janikowski fixed the kicking game but he had some issues that were not football related (GHB).

Bobby Bowden began his fall from grace when Mark Richt ,the offensive coordinator, left to go to Georgia in 2001. That's when Bobby installed his son Jeff as the new OC. Nepotism claims and losing games added up to Jeff resigning 5 years later. Jimbo came along and became the "Head Coach in Waiting" and he inherited the talent that Bobby recruited and built. There was a steady slide into mediocrity, part of it involved Jimbo's messy divorce. He scuttled out of Tallahassee and headed for College Station.

It was a snowy Christmas that year.
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...imbo-fishers-famous-christmas-tree/915985001/

We won't mention Willie Taggert.
;)

buzzmobile

Veteran
Well I figure there's beer and pretzels already....

Ok I'm in!
The smart kids are coming to town this evening. Duke may not have their starting QB due to an ankle injury.
Keon Coleman is making a difference for the Seminoles this year. "Look, Ma, one hand!"

Go Noles!

@armedoldhippy , I hope to hear Rocky Top a lot this afternoon, and I hope Saban looks like this after the game.
1697884576465.jpeg

armedoldhippy

Veteran
leading 20 to 7 at the half, then fail to score in the second half? :eek: not gonna beat 'bama like that, EVER! the win was there to be had, but they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with ignorant penalties. the strip sack/recovery/defensive TD late in the 4th was inexcusable. you cannot stand back there that long as a quarterback. if you have three damn whole seconds before some big fast SOB tries to rip your rib cage out, you've had it pretty good. a good qb will air that puppy out or be on the move by then.

buzzmobile

Veteran
leading 20 to 7 at the half, then fail to score in the second half? :eek: not gonna beat 'bama like that, EVER! the win was there to be had, but they repeatedly shot themselves in the foot with ignorant penalties. the strip sack/recovery/defensive TD late in the 4th was inexcusable. you cannot stand back there that long as a quarterback. if you have three damn whole seconds before some big fast SOB tries to rip your rib cage out, you've had it pretty good. a good qb will air that puppy out or be on the move by then.
They forgot the words to Rocky Top in the second half.

The Seminoles had their work cut out for them last night. If Dukie QB Leonard had two healthy ankles it could have been the first win for Duke v FSU. The Hurricanes and Gators are lurking.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
anyone here see the humor in the ACC bitching because Fla. State got left out of the playoffs for the championship? undefeated Power 5 conference champion, but not getting in. their commissioner fought tooth and nail AGAINST expanding the play-off to 8 teams a year or so back, saying "well, we might expand in a few years..." "unintended consequences" LOL! :dunno: :ROFLMAO: stupid fuck. hoist on his own petard...