What's new

any college football fans on here?

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
New Mexico State outlasted Bowling Green for the win today…not bad for 6-6 teams…
prolly pic same, but always wonder with so much time off between games…...slow starting….timing off……thinking about maryjane rottencrotch….

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Sure, that all sounds great, and ur right, they usually do take insurance policies, and top draft picks will have coverage in the millions of dollars. But the policies only pay out according to the level of injury, so a 5M policy would only pay out in full if the player never got drafted, never got an nfl contract. If they do get drafted but at a lower round (2nd instead of 1st) then they might only get 250k or something. For an injury that may impact their career negatively for a long time (ACL or something) even the 5M payout is chump change compared to an 8 or even 9 figure NFL contract.
I know bryce young and will anderson are planning to play in Bama's bowl game, to their credit, but most top draft picks nowadays choose to skip their bowl game if it's not the playoffs. That's just the way of the world now, if a college team wants to attract elite talent they have to abide with, even encourage nfl aspirations.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
8 pm tonight, UT and Clemson, a game that "could have been big" but for injuries. it is still going to be interesting, but i would much rather have seen them play at full strength & the starting QBs they had earlier.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
31-14, UT. Clemsons freshman QB is gonna be a good one after another year with Dabo, i'm guessing. UTs Joe Milton played like he was stoned, no problem, no rush, and was not overthrowing everything. he probably locked up the starting spot for next year IMHO. when he does take off running, he's a damn load at 6'5" and 250 lbs...uh, 2 M x 112.4 kilos if there is anyone out there from someplace else reading this. :smoke:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I was getting a bit tired of the announcers gushing over Klubnick every time clemson was on offense, saying he's so good at this and that despite losing by 2 scores. But the tigers did rack up a good amount of yards and first downs, and ran almost 100 plays, they just couldnt score.
Milton has his flaws but if he improves his accuracy over the offseason he could easily lead them to another 10+ win season, assuming the new freshman QB (Nico something) doesnt take his job sometime during the season.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
yeah, they utterly dominated time of possession etc. i was surprised that UTs defense didn't get worn down given how long they were on the field. fans LOVE long throws/quick scores. it IS cool to watch. but... the defense would like to see a few longer drives (12-15 plays, 8-10 minutes off of clock) so they can rest a bit... the announcers/tv crew came off looking like Clemson cheerleaders. speaking of them, did they ever show the UT cheerleaders? i never saw them...and where the hell was Smokey? does the team mascot not rate a road trip to a bowl game? lol...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Michigan got screwed, but that one play did not lose the game for them. did they leave their defensive unit at home for this game? wow...TCU into the Big One ! Georgia looks like they'll be the second or third SEC team to allow Ohio State a win in a bowl game. they were 2-12 until tonight...whoops, 'dogs just down 3 but OSU on their 33 yd line. if they hold OSU to a field goal, that would only be a 6 point lead. "if" being the important word there...about 4 minutes to go.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
anyone catch Sabans speech about kids not staying and playing when having the chance? i liked his points about "being a TEAM member", and that there will be pro scouts in the stands watching for effort. his Heisman trophy winning quarterback Bryce Young and two-time All-American defensive star Will Anderson stayed and played, like a team member should. they'll prob go 1-2 in the draft...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Smokey is a bloodhound, UT’s mascot? I saw Uga, georgia’s mascot, at their bowl game. Got an air conditioned crate and everything.

It was surprising that Michigan couldn’t physically overpower a one loss big 12 team, after that first carry they took for 60yds I figured they would run all over the frogs. Turned out it was the frogs who ran all over them. The Michigan qb throwing 2 pick sixes obviously was huge as well, they were playing catchup the whole game. I did enjoy seeing his girlfriend in the stands, especially when she was jumping up and down.

I really thought the buckeyes would pull it off but georgia’s offense woke up and give them credit, they came all the way back. 50 yd FG’s are makeable for good college kickers but that potential game winner had no chance. Ah well, you guys think TCU can pull off another big upset? If they win the turnover battle again anything’s possible.

Young and Anderson might go #1 and #2 but I think a wise college coach wont complain too much if their top players opt out of somewhat meaningless bowl games. It’s like Calipari at Kentucky, he hopped on board the 1 and done high school players and encouraged them to leave after 1 year if they were going to be 1st rd picks: he’d tell them if you leave youre taking care of your family, if you stay youre taking care of me. Just my 2 cents.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
there's folks making noise about forcing them to stay in school until they are ready to graduate. they tried that in college basketball, it did NOT work out. got guys in NBA that went straight in from high school... to start with, LOTS of them could not graduate if allowed to cheat on exams. too many majoring in basket-weaving, panty chewing, advanced DWI, sports something or other, :dunno: not many aspiring doctors or lawyers sitting on benches...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Well, the NBA allowed players to be drafted right out of high school 20 some years ago, you'd have success stories like kevin garnett, tracy mcgrady, dwight howard, lebron james but you'd also have failures like kwame brown and darius miles. In that regard I dont think it's that much different making them go to college for a year, it's not like a 19yr old player with 1 year of college is that much more polished than an 18yr old out of high school.
And in Europe basketball players turn pro as teenagers, youve got 17-18yr olds playing with grown men.

North carolina got caught doing the dirty with regard to athlete academics back in 2014, for years they were enabling football 'student-athletes' to take bogus courses or cheat on papers and exams. It's no different than what any other big time football program does, they do the bare minimum to keep their players academically eligible and no one cares if they actually graduate, much less with a useful degree or not (theyre often encouraged to take less challenging majors so it doesnt distract from football).

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i feel sorry for Georgia AND Michigan. if Georgia had lost to TCU, they would have been mocked mercilessly. since they ran over them like a school bus crushing a poodle dog, people will say shit like "well, it was TCU, what did you expect?" and those poor kids in Michigan will always be the guys that lost to a team that lost by 58 points in the title game, and it could have been worse...:whiteflag:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
3 turnovers in the first half put the frogs in a huge hole, and things didnt get any better in the 2nd half. With their starting RB out with an MCL injury, they really couldnt move the ball at all, finishing with 36yds rushing and 188 total, compared to 250 and 600 for Georgia.
UGA is favored to repeat next year but who's going to be their QB? Plus isnt Bama going to be back, TN and LSU and Clemson and OSU and Michigan are going to be in the mix again, maybe TX too. Im thinking Georgia wont win a 3rd consecutive title, something even saban hasnt done (he won 2 in a row, 2011-2012).

armedoldhippy

Veteran
it's going to be interesting to see how many of GA kids go pro. Stetson has 6 years under his belt of college ball, but pros not high on him because he's undersized. GA had 5 first round picks leave last season. they had a killer defense again this season in spite of that. OSU and Michigan have already had players transfer out. Tennessee has had several leave as well, with hard hits to WR corps. i expect GA to be tough but i'd put money against them going undefeated again... someone will be along soon to declare notre dame as a pre-season favorite, there always is. :ROFLMAO:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah ur right Hippy, Stetson isnt quite 6ft tall, arm strength is questionable for the NFL, and he's already 25 so he's older than Tua, justin herbert, trevor lawrence and jalen hurts. Still, he's got some mobility and has experience and leadership, and will likely get drafted from the 4th-6th rd, most scouts project him as backup material.
Everyone thought Georgia's defense would drop off a lot this year after so many guys were drafted, but like Bama they just seem to reload every year.
ND got a transfer QB from wake forest, they might be better next year, not going to say they'll make the playoffs but they could be pretty, pretty good.