What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

African Strains

RED 1

Jazz Plant (African Sativa IBL),of Swazi origin my dear friend Tangwena,after a 2 month cure
Fantastic,exceptional,quality smoke
:)

Attachments

• 2017 06 30 12.02.18kush
    2017 06 30 12.02.18kush
    79.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200617_134122.jpg
    IMG_20200617_134122.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 30

Red October

EDIT: trying to get pictures to work

Greetings from South Africa. I'm actually from Colorado but visiting a friend here in SA and currently stuck here due to all the travel bans and everything going on. Definitely not complaining.

Just recently had a taste of some African weed and its like nothing I've ever experienced from all the OGs, Cookies, Chem, etc. seen in the shops in Colorado.

First of all, the smell doesn't even register as cannabis to me, its so different from what I'm used to. It's spicy/peppery(black pepper), with some mint, earth/musk, and possibly some thyme or another spice/herb that I can't put my finger on. It's incredibly complex.

The taste/flavor is very unique as well, it almost reminds me of the cheap cigars from gas stations I used to smoke when I was younger. Doesn't sound appealing but it is, it has almost an aged tobacco flavor.

I got this bag from one of the farm workers in a small mountain town in the province of Mpumalanga. Does anyone here know what region this strain might be from or have you had something that tastes or smells similar? Here's some pics:

View Image

It has very thin/wispy buds, and is mostly seeds. It looks like crap but the smoke is great and a completely different effect compared to the OGs and weed that I'm used to. For reference, here's the last weed I picked up in Colorado before I left a few months back, some MAC. It looks great but I'd take this African weed over it any day:

View Image

I will come back with a better smoke report once I have time to get to know it better, but so far I can describe it as energizing but not in a jittery/caffeine way, more motivational. It also shifts my perspective and familiar things look unfamiliar and colors/light seem slightly altered. Very fun weed.
[/quote]

Just to expand a bit on what tagwena is saying.

The type of high you are describing and the quality of weed from the pictures is very much what we smoked as youngsters and came from the transkei/lesotho region. it was the worst quality weed ever but the high off a good batch is still something I never found in any other south african strains, it's not as strong or as long lasting as swazi but it's very clear and meditative. I have many found memories from high school and friends smoking it buying pokes and arms from the taxi ranks on my bicycle:biglaugh:. keep the seeds you have as it may literally be from a good batch but from what I've read up Ciskei from tropical seeds is supposed to be a good source but it's pretty much impossible to find a smoke report but I did speak to a guy called gerry who said there is a specific apple pheno in the line that is supposed to be very special and then their is King Congo from tropical seeds that has pretty much all amazing reviews.

I can't be certain obviously especially as you are so far north but with the current smuggling of cigarettes, which is largely coming out of lesotho I wouldn't be surprised. swazi is quite distictive as it will make you sleep after a few hours and is quite heavy but we used to do 24 hour sega marathons smoking the lesotho stuff and drinking coffee:smoke out:

Unfortunately all those US genes are becoming popular to grow down here in SA and they just don't stack up to the old stuff. There are way better strains out there than what you got but they aren't as easy to grow so they aren't grown because they aren't as profitable.

Red October

There isn't much on ciskei. Has anyone grown it to comment on it
I couldn't find anything solid on it either but I did speak to gerry from Colorado sativas and from his information there is supposed to be a very special green apple Pheno.
The king Congo suggested has also been suggested to me by another member and they speak very highly of it, literally to the point they feel it might be the Opus of african varieties on the market.

I will be doing those hopefully in my next run

pookie123

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do as I am fascinated with African landraces, as I feel africa is a goldmine of landraces that need to be preserved before they are all polluted and gone forever....

pookie123

I have some king congo I need to run from T.S.C. also their Ciskei and their Durban Punch. I'm thinking of crossing the king congo and Durban punch to a Congo black ibl X Angola red ibl. I have... Actually I hope to cross many African landraces eventually.

oldbootz

Veteran
I grew out "J" batch of Ciskei gifted from Aeros himself back in 2009. I loved it. Reminded me of a good skunk #1 matched with an African. Very sweet refined flavors and yes there were some apple ones, but also some honey tasting ones too. Plants were short for an African sativa (maybe a hybrid) but leaf thickness was relatively thin.

Not sure if you guys know the backstory to these genetics but it was picked up in 1992 by Positronic seed bank. Then it made its way to Herbaria seed banks hands and they released the "bushmen" which was actually quite a wide leaf version if you see the pics. Then from Herbaria, Tropical seed company got it and worked it. From this time the plants started to get thinner leaves as maybe they were breeding it towards the African ancestor direction. Back in 2009 the "J" batch that I grew was very enjoyable and the high very good. I made some crosses with Deep Chunk at the time and the F1 came out super stable and uniform which says to me that both lines were quite inbred by that point. Hope this info helps.

Red October

I have some king congo I need to run from T.S.C. also their Ciskei and their Durban Punch. I'm thinking of crossing the king congo and Durban punch to a Congo black ibl X Angola red ibl. I have... Actually I hope to cross many African landraces eventually.
I was thinking of grabbing 2 packs of the lockdown specials but the one that really intrigues me is the King Congo but that congo black x angola red sure sounds interesting

Red October

I grew out "J" batch of Ciskei gifted from Aeros himself back in 2009. I loved it. Reminded me of a good skunk #1 matched with an African. Very sweet refined flavors and yes there were some apple ones, but also some honey tasting ones too. Plants were short for an African sativa (maybe a hybrid) but leaf thickness was relatively thin.

Not sure if you guys know the backstory to these genetics but it was picked up in 1992 by Positronic seed bank. Then it made its way to Herbaria seed banks hands and they released the "bushmen" which was actually quite a wide leaf version if you see the pics. Then from Herbaria, Tropical seed company got it and worked it. From this time the plants started to get thinner leaves as maybe they were breeding it towards the African ancestor direction. Back in 2009 the "J" batch that I grew was very enjoyable and the high very good. I made some crosses with Deep Chunk at the time and the F1 came out super stable and uniform which says to me that both lines were quite inbred by that point. Hope this info helps.
Thanks for that Old boots, good info. How did you feel it compared to the transkei stuff of old and was the apple pheno stonger than the others?

Montuno

...como el Son...
I was thinking of grabbing 2 packs of the lockdown specials but the one that really intrigues me is the King Congo but that congo black x angola red sure sounds interesting

If you like Destroyer (CannaBioGen), you'll love King Congo (Tropical Seeds Company).
They have the same joyful and introspective/creative effect... But the King Congo also has a spectacular fruity taste...

Red October

If you like Destroyer (CannaBioGen), you'll love King Congo (Tropical Seeds Company).
They have the same joyful and introspective/creative effect... But the King Congo also has a spectacular fruity taste...
Funnily enough those are the exact two that I will be growing this season I'm trying to decide on a haze variety too but finding it hard going through all the threads.

If you have other suggestions for good strains please do tell, I've only grown seriously indoors but now have a property where I can grow quite a few outdoor bushes and I am looking very forward to it.

oldbootz

Veteran
Thanks for that Old boots, good info. How did you feel it compared to the transkei stuff of old and was the apple pheno stonger than the others?

Apple ones were not stronger. Quite different to landrace Transkei gold/red/lime green - seems like an out cross.

Montuno

...como el Son...
Funnily enough those are the exact two that I will be growing this season I'm trying to decide on a haze variety too but finding it hard going through all the threads.

If you have other suggestions for good strains please do tell, I've only grown seriously indoors but now have a property where I can grow quite a few outdoor bushes and I am looking very forward to it.

I can only tell you about outdoor cultivation.

In my area of Spain, other sativas with African genes that have a very good reputation are

From A.C.E.: Zamaldelica ( Zamal*Malawi), Guawi (Guatemala*Malawi), Golden Tiger (Thai*Malawi).

From Tropical Seeds Company : Durban Punch (Durban Poison'70*Ciskei), Old Congo (Congo Point Noire*Oldtimer's Haze), Cognition (Congo Point Noire*Nepal Higlands Sativa).

From CannaBioGen : Leshaze (Leshoto*SkunkHaze). Without African genes, you only hear good comments from their Red Snake (Mexican Oaxacan*Colombian Punto Rojo)...

And from Original Delicatessen: Reina Madre aka Queen Mother (Congo*Reunion*Spain), n' Lilly (Reina Madre*Congo*Central África).

But I have not personally grown any of these varieties. I did with King Congo and Destroyer.

Last edited:

Red October

Apple ones were not stronger. Quite different to landrace Transkei gold/red/lime green - seems like an out cross.
Dankie Meneer, will hopefully be getting some interesting looking swazi cuttings this year. plant looks very cool with an almost dark grey finish, will wait and see if it happens.

Attachments

• 104375502_3027254900661359_1971492213541262699_o.jpg
    104375502_3027254900661359_1971492213541262699_o.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 21

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
how's the double congo rate?

i'm more interested in that one cause of the incense, carrot, wood smell description...

the congo pointe noire i've read some very good things but know nothing of the black congo.

is the black congo the same one snowhigh uses for the double congo congolese black incross?

all i know is, the king congo looks good but i'm more into woody and incense than fruit tbh

Red October

I can only tell you about outdoor cultivation.

In my area of Spain, other sativas with African genes that have a very good reputation are

From A.C.E.: Zamaldelica ( Zamal*Malawi), Guawi (Guatemala*Malawi), Golden Tiger (Thai*Malawi).

From Tropical Seeds Company : Durban Punch (Durban Poison'70*Ciskei), Old Congo (Congo Point Noire*Oldtimer's Haze), Cognition (Congo Point Noire*Nepal Higlands Sativa).

From CannaBioGen : Leshaze (Leshoto*SkunkHaze). Without African genes, you only hear good comments from their Red Snake (Mexican Oaxacan*Colombian Punto Rojo)...

But I have not personally grown any of these varieties. I did with King Congo and Destroyer.

I was looking for old congo but seems sold out at the places I can get seeds from are sold out. thank you for the other suggestions I will look into that Guawi that has really caught my eye

Red snake I was very interested in but will hold off as from the smoke reports I have come across, she is very good to smoke but not as strong as these other lines and there are quite a few projects going on with the Oaxacan lines

Montuno

...como el Son...
King Congo

King Congo

how's the double congo rate?

i'm more interested in that one cause of the incense, carrot, wood smell description...

the congo pointe noire i've read some very good things but know nothing of the black congo.

is the black congo the same one snowhigh uses for the double congo congolese black incross?

all i know is, the king congo looks good but i'm more into woody and incense than fruit tbh

About the diferents tastes of my last King Congo:

"On the flavor of mine King Congo (Congo Point Noire X Ciskei) this season in La Perrera, the part that was harvested before October-20, it tastes and smells, from more to less intense, to noble woods, spieces, musk / chlorophyll, and an end to kiwi":

ec059ab3ca3693888f6c60671fbe790c.jpg

8e0e0f5977965d6afbb04960d34e893d.jpg

"...However, in the harvested part after November-20, the dominant flavor and odor, by far, is a strong smellin' n taste, a delicious mixture of mandarin / sweet carrot / red berries & red wine's grapes"...:

4eeba309c81654001158cde37bb08e18.jpg

c4825c5aa49953f606d21481343a05f4.jpg

40567dba517863cdde68b65594373813.jpg

Last edited:

Red October

About the diferents tastes of my last King Congo:

Thanks Montuno, did you notice any variation in the phenotypes? thinking because it's a BX line it may swing quite heavily, any that I should look out for in particular regarding the high they produce? the high is definitely the most important to me at this point,

Montuno

...como el Son...
Thanks Montuno, did you notice any variation in the phenotypes? thinking because it's a BX line it may swing quite heavily, any that I should look out for in particular regarding the high they produce? the high is definitely the most important to me at this point,

I've planted very few King Congo's yet.
In this other thread there are more people who have planted many more, being indoor growers:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=272175

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts