What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

African Strains

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So LumberJackJay, do you have experience or opinion on the Senegal or Ethiopioan Highland strains. I realize there may be several strains from each region but just asking as I have or will have each of those.

DjKinetics

What's happening budnut I will add your name to the list too. The laws are changing dramatically here this year, as soon as it is legal to ship seeds out of the country I will open a thread and send out some testers. I plan to release the following:

Malawi Gold (True Kob landrace Malawi)
Transkei Rooibaard
Swaziland Haze
Durban Haze AKA Durban Poison

All of these are direct breedings of males to females, none of these will be hybridized landraces which are quite common here and will probably be some of the purest hazes in seed form. The testers will be free, I do not expect trades or anything in return however I may run them as donation packs for the forum and donate all the proceeds to ICMag. :tiphat:

Iqela Lentsango
Send some of that dp to gp. Please and thank you.

kokomarin

Lumber jack jay,25years ago I was on cargo ship,west African ports from Gambia to Gabon .one village in Ghana more then twenty growers.
But I remember newspaper from my country .white guy in johanessburg try control city traffic ,naked ,with giant weed leaf.ha,ha,ha I was thinking,man,we propably smoke same shit.

So LumberJackJay, do you have experience or opinion on the Senegal or Ethiopioan Highland strains. I realize there may be several strains from each region but just asking as I have or will have each of those.

I think the Senegal strains will be similar to the Ghanian in genetic make up, and the Ethopian will be a peppery sativa or Paki influenced hybrid but that's just the batch I got, you could have completely different phenos so I suggest you get them germinated so we can all have a look. :laughing:

I see someone reported me for talking about seeds, I would just like to clarify once again that I in no way will profit from the testers or donation packs run and I will only do so with the permission of the forum admins so please stop being a little bitch and get a hobby. I never once said I would be selling seeds on the forum, I made it clear that they would either be free or donated to the site.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Note:

using this site to solicit in any way is a quick way to get your account banned. if you have projects in mind that involve the site you need to get it passed by OP, Gypsy, Clarence or someone from admin before you make announcements. it's really not fair on paying advertisers and ic mag vendors. you may show your stuff like anyone, but at the first hint of soliciting (free or paid,) you are in violation of the terms of use which you agreed to when you joined icmag.

furthermore, giving your addy out online for some free seeds from an anonymous internet handle is a good way to get ripped, busted and or blackmailed.

Note:

using this site to solicit in any way is a quick way to get your account banned. if you have projects in mind that involve the site you need to get it passed by OP, Gypsy, Clarence or someone from admin before you make announcements. it's really not fair on paying advertisers and ic mag vendors. you may show your stuff like anyone, but at the first hint of soliciting (free or paid,) you are in violation of the terms of use which you agreed to when you joined icmag.

furthermore, giving your addy out online for some free seeds from an anonymous internet handle is a good way to get ripped, busted and or blackmailed.

There was no announcement made though?

I have given valuable information to this thread regarding African strains and as I said IF and WHEN I am ready and legally allowed to do so, I will contact the admins and do it via donation/ the right channels for the site. I really fail to see how that is soliciting?

I am not a seedbank or business, I am merely an enthusiast like the rest of the forum users. And the fact that I am willing to give away prized genetics to those who are really interested in them has no bearing on the paid advertisers or ICmag vendors? I think one of your vendors is throwing their toys out of the cot prematurely.

window

Veteran
I remember in the early to mid nineties there was a shit load of red beard imported into the UK, some of the best import I've ever seen/smoked.
I haven't seen old school African import for years which was once so prevalent here in old blighty .

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi LumberJackJay get your posts up to 50 and then you can exchange personal messages, the mods are very strict with sharing on the forum as you no doubt now know.
Play it safe and all will be good.
Tangwena

Zapadra

TOU bru. If you wanna contribute donate them to the server fund through the correct channels. :) Else more subtly. ;)

Zitz

I remember in the early to mid nineties there was a shit load of red beard imported into the UK, some of the best import I've ever seen/smoked.
I haven't seen old school African import for years which was once so prevalent here in old blighty .

Hi Window a few months back there was some Swazi gold around but it dissapeared quick, I saved a couple of seeds...
Also been getting some "Thai" some of which is seedless, typical musky/peppery aroma...

Im wondering how to tell the origin of compressed import weed as most of it is sold as Thai however I wonder how much of it is African in origin or somewhere else?

Dakine

Veteran
So I have seriously found maybe 2 GOOD threads here about the South African Strain "Bushmans"..

Do any of you have any good info on this Landrace? Apparently it was popular around early-mid 20th century.. Kinda wanna know some info about it before I pop some beans..

Zitz

So I have seriously found maybe 2 GOOD threads here about the South African Strain "Bushmans"..

Do any of you have any good info on this Landrace? Apparently it was popular around early-mid 20th century.. Kinda wanna know some info about it before I pop some beans..

I think its the same as Ciskei from Tropical seeds, known to be an early maturing sativa and many comment on the great effect.
Tropical also made some interesting hybrids with it (I have some swazi polokwane x ciskei) but have never grown it.

Dakine

Veteran
So it's actually called ciskei? I only have ciskei, not crossed with anything. Package just said "Bushmans". So maybe they werent meaning it was a "small" sativa? Maybe it's just an early finisher with indica flowering times? I was thinking it might've been like A semi-auto or something but that's not the case..

Maybe I'll find more information on ciskei then Bushmans.. thanks!

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://daggadissident.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/paterson_ma_tr10-57.pdf

Interesting Paper if you haven't seen it. Excerpt about DP \/

Durban Poison had a reputation as a potent strain of cannabis from the mid-1970s. However,
according to two cannabis traders interviewed, this was not the case a decade earlier. The
traders both referred to ‘DP’ as a form of packaging of cannabis, not as a unique cannabis
plant. One trader kept referring to ‘Durban Pencils’. Another said: “they were pencils. They
were wrapped in pencils…and we called them pencils because they were pretty much the
same size and thickness of a pencil.” This same trader only began selling after his
connections extended to Swaziland, because with Durban Poison “you didn’t see what you
were getting ‘cause it was all wrapped in brown paper, in sticks.” Over the course of the
early-1970s, these ‘pencils’ gradually got shorter and thinner, until your average ‘pencil’ was
about a third of the length and a third of the thickness of an actual pencil (the price of a
‘pencil’, however, apparently remained constant). And it was around this time, 1974 or
1975, that ‘DP’ – ‘Durban Pencils’ – became ‘Durban Poison’.

So, it seems that ‘Durban Poison’ existed as a term in South Africa prior to its use in Europe,
despite some arguments to the contrary. Perhaps the European idea that Durban Poison was a
landrace, similar to Thai or Mexican cannabis, led to the adoption of this understanding in
South Africa. According to one smuggler in the early 1990s, the Dutch ‘coffee shops’ (legal
cannabis sale and consumption houses) would “go crazy for this Durban Poison. I kept telling
them it wasn’t all that, but they had it in their heads that this Durban Poison was the shit to
get.”
It is interesting that many ‘seed banks’ in the Netherlands sell seeds under the name
‘Durban Poison’, and all of these strains are crossbred with
stronger Dutch strains.

It is very difficult to speculate on the chain of events that led to the emergence of Durban
Poison. Whatever the reasons for its fame, it is certain that it does not exist as a specific kind
of cannabis in southern Africa. Furthermore, it is certain that Natal does not produce a large
amount of cannabis relative to its surrounding regions. However, one trader mentioned that,
for a time, Natalian cannabis was very distinctive and of a high quality. This trader claimed
that this cannabis, grown in Zululand, was eliminated by South African Narcotics Bureau
operations there during the period in which it was led by Basie Smit. Another trader
mentioned that he had purchased cannabis grown in Zululand in the mid-1980s.

‘Ant’, Interview with Author, 11 April 2009
There are many examples of this. Durban Poison as a variety is marketed by the Dutch Passion Seed
Company, Amsterdam (who deny hybridising their Durban Poison, though it clearly has been, perhaps prior to
the seed bank receiving this genetic line), and Nirvana Cannabis Seeds, Amsterdam, amongst others.

‘Pete’, Interview with Author, 12 July 2008, corroborated by R.Asta. Bensusan mentions massive seizures in
Zululand (in the region of 300 tons, compared to 15 tons in the Transkei) in 1971. (Bensusan, Drug Exposure
(1971), p. 43) This seems to lend credence to the idea that a large amount of cannabis was cultivated in
Zululand before being largely eliminated.
seems that there is cannabis grown in Natal, its cultivation is not nearly as extensive as that of
Swaziland, the former Transkei and Lesotho.

Last edited:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Mel Frank says that Durban Poison came from him and he gave it to Sam who brought it to the Netherlands in the early eighties.
He doesn't mention where he got it though.

I have read two versions, one said the seeds were originally sourced within a few import Durban Poison buds in Amsterdam by Ed Rosenthal. The other said that Ed Rosenthal picked the seeds himself in South Africa and then passed them to Mel Frank, who would later share some with Sam Skunkman.

In the late 1970s, American breeder Ed Rosenthal selectively bred several plants from a bag of South African seeds that he brought back to the U.S. Rosenthal then passed some prime specimens on to fellow breeder Mel Frank, who fine-tuned the genetics to optimize resin content and flowering time. Frank’s efforts resulted in “A” and “B” lines of the original seed stock; the B line was given to Amsterdam breeder Sam the Skunkman, who further reduced the strain’s flowering time.

Durban Poison’s history goes all the way back to the late 1970’s in South Africa, where a young Ed Rosenthal was on the hunt for new genetics. The variety that he found was one of the earliest-finishing plants in the area (known for its equatorial Sativas), and he took home a variety of seeds from this locally cultivated genetic pool. Upon starting the seeds at home in the US, there was a fairly wide variety of expressions and flowering times, so Ed began the process of choosing his favorites and inbreeding the line to best bring out those characteristics.

Ed passed some seeds from his working of the Durban line to his friend Mel Frank for further work, which focused primarily on shortening the flowering time. Mel worked with several generations of the plants, again and again choosing the most resinous yet quickest plants and crossing them with one another. The resulting line yielded two choice phenotypes, which Mel dubbed the A and B, with the A being his favorite of the two.

Ed passed on some seeds from his work to his friend, Mel Frank for further work. Their focus was to reduce flowering time whilst simultaneously, increasing the yield. Mel worked with several generations of the plants, choosing to further breed the quickest and most resinous among them. The process resulted in two distinctive phenotypes, that Mel creatively named A and B. The A strain was his favorite, so he chose to move on with it. And it was around then that the B strain of Durban Poison found its way to Europe.

In a rather friendly gesture, Mel Frank gifted his not-so-favorite “B” line to his friend Sam the Skunkman. Sam does not need special introductions among the cannabis connoisseurs, as he still holds legendary status among breeders. However, this gift was just a beginning of a long and successful story.

:tiphat:

Dakine

Veteran
Wow these post about Durban Poison is teaching me everything I need(ed) to know about Durban Poison. I didnt know it was originally from africa..

I think this can all be cleared up and verified. We just gotta wait for Uncle Sam to pop in and drop some of his holy knowledge lol. I always like seeing his post, hes either sharing and teaching his knowledge to others, OR teaching the 2 Grow Master Expert Grower that he dont know jack!

JUST to be sure. Is Ciskei for sure the "Bushmans" SA Landrace I recently asked about? Theres actually A good amount of good grows with Ciskei, unlike Bushman. I wanna be certain before basing my information on the info, and it ends up actually being something else..

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Is Ciskei for sure the "Bushmans" SA Landrace I recently asked about? Theres actually A good amount of good grows with Ciskei, unlike Bushman. I wanna be certain before basing my information on the info, and it ends up actually being something else..

The Bushman's was an old heirloom south-african cultivar originally sourced and available by Tünde and Hannes from the Herbaria seed company (founded in 1996 in Zurich, Swizterland).

Many others came afterwards and used their original stock for their own commercial interests, as Nectar Seeds, Origin Seeds, Tropical Seed Co and so on.

Bushman's, Ciskei Bushman, Chiskei and so on are just different names and works for exactly the same cultivar. :tiphat:

Zitz

Wow these post about Durban Poison is teaching me everything I need(ed) to know about Durban Poison. I didnt know it was originally from africa..

JUST to be sure. Is Ciskei for sure the "Bushmans" SA Landrace I recently asked about? Theres actually A good amount of good grows with Ciskei, unlike Bushman. I wanna be certain before basing my information on the info, and it ends up actually being something else..

As Musta says its the same cultivar, there does seem to be a lot more info when searching for "Ciskei"...Btw Durban and Ciskei are both South African strains, although have been away from home for a long time, and possibly hybridised at least in the case of some Durbans.

The Bushman's was an old heirloom south-african cultivar originally sourced and available by Tünde and Hannes from the Herbaria seed company (founded in 1996 in Zurich, Swizterland).

Many others came afterwards and used their original stock for their own commercial interests, as Nectar Seeds, Origin Seeds, Tropical Seed Co and so on.

Bushman's, Ciskei Bushman, Chiskei and so on are just different names and works for exactly the same cultivar. :tiphat:

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of the other seedbanks,
have you grown/smoked ciskei I would be interested to know how it compares to the longer flowering African strains.