What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Advancing Eco Agriculture, Product Science

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
jidoka's clay mix didn't react at all the the fizz test. Maybe one bubble. BAS fizzed pretty well, and my native soil was like a mentos in a diet coke.

Spacey,

We have seen that in some soils that even if there is no reaction at all, there can still be major issues with carbonates. Some soils will not show a fizz unless you dig deep and even then carbonates can still make for a huge influence. Often we have to dig deep to actually get a fizz. The fizz test is not always that useful. With that said, it it does fizz, there are usually huge problems.

reppin2c

Veteran
Cat- I used it on my last OD run week 4 ish. Seemed to be doing what I was hoping. No sap meter and no post harvest soil analysis. I used 2ml AEA K(potassium acetate).These ID plants are caching me off guard with 75 degree lows they're running thru the container like it's the last thing to do.

Slow how deep is deep? For the fizz

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Slow how deep is deep? For the fizz

Dig down to where you expect to have roots. In some places we had to go down 24 inches to see the fizz happen.

Yet the top soil that had no fizz still had huge carbonate levels. The fizz test is not the great indicator of carbonates that folks think it is.

Also realize that the water/soil dynamic plays a huge role in what will happen in your soil. More than 2 or 3 meq of Bicarbonates in your water and you have Ca uptake problems like you cannot believe.

reppin2c

Veteran
I didn't even know there was another option, interesting. Pretty cool to have some different routes. I think I'd mix K sulfate from dry if I was to use it.

I guess I should sign up for the news letter and maybe pay more attention. Tough to do anything besides ride a snowmobile this time of year. Priorities are all outta whack.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brunetti who was part of AEA was a big micronizer fan. When he left Kempf apparently the micronizer stayed.

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would grind potassium sulfate when you can buy it already crystalized and water soluble.

Save your money, this is pure woowoo juice. You can buy fairly pure fulvic acid for a fraction of what you are buying for in this bottle. You want acetate? Add some vinegar.

What does a bottle of this woowoo juice actually cost you? Let's do some math.

What did you pay for this bottle Repp?

orechron

Maybe someone can explain to me the point of micronizing a soluble salt? You can't get smaller than an ion? Or is Ksulfate not as soluble as it seems?

reppin2c

Veteran
It was $187 with shpiping to CO for 10 gallons.That specific bottle I don't know what I payed for it.

The price really isn't that steep. Some of the items you are paying for the convenience. Kinda like stopping at a gas station.

I have no idea why they would micronizne a soluble. Maybe it stays in the solution better or is easier to mix with other nutes at that point.

Last edited:

Space Case

Veteran
Ag grade K2SO4 has the occasional speck of who knows what contaminant. Sometimes there is a little residue, but really its not an issue. As I understand, you can even top dress K2SO4.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ag grade K2SO4 has the occasional speck of who knows what contaminant. Sometimes there is a little residue, but really its not an issue. As I understand, you can even top dress K2SO4.

We can get a discounted material here that they call potassium sulfate standard. Sort of a granular material, much cheaper than the pure water soluble stuff.

If they are grinding the potassium sulfate, it is because it isn't soluble, meaning they are using the cheap granular stuff that is not pure, I guess they make more money that way.

jidoka

IMG_04131.jpg

started with 500 worms from uncle jim. chucked them in a 30 gal smartie of fairly balanced lightweight soil. fed them tainio microbes and pepzyme, pacific grow and sea stim

they multiply like rabbits. does not take long to have so many they will go through a 30 gal bag a week

who knew how easy this is

so no added food sources besides the light soil? was there old roots in there from a previous grow? do you know what temps they can tolerate before they die off? to answer your question he just glossed over the topic i almost quoted him word for word