What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

A Guide to Fishsticks

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DSCN0489.JPG

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
✂️:smokeit: managed to get a little more than half done with the apple fritter...i'm pretty much hashing the small stuff seeing as how i have a harvest hanging and another one in 4 days....and another one a week after that....and another one a week after that

and i got the fenrir all squared away with a new handlebar set up and my brake levers kitted out with some extra bling...wheels are ready,so just put the rear wheel back together,(install cassette and brake rotor,retape the rim and install the valve,get the tire set up tubeless)...then just one more tire/new rim tape and valve to deal with on the crosscheck and all the bikes will be back in working order

Reactions: zif

zif

Veteran
✂️:smokeit: managed to get a little more than half done with the apple fritter...i'm pretty much hashing the small stuff seeing as how i have a harvest hanging and another one in 4 days....and another one a week after that....and another one a week after that

and i got the fenrir all squared away with a new handlebar set up and my brake levers kitted out with some extra bling...wheels are ready,so just put the rear wheel back together,(install cassette and brake rotor,retape the rim and install the valve,get the tire set up tubeless)...then just one more tire/new rim tape and valve to deal with on the crosscheck and all the bikes will be back in working order
How do you like the tubeless setup?

I’m at the contemplation stage on a new fixie and am seriously tempted to go that way, but am largely ignorant of the pros and cons.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you like the tubeless setup?

I’m at the contemplation stage on a new fixie and am seriously tempted to go that way, but am largely ignorant of the pros and cons.
i dunno if tubeless works with a fixie
pros,i live in the desert and the roads suck,there's a gazillion desert plants ready and willing to puncture tires,not the least of which is goatheads...little devil horn seed pods...with tubeless either the sealant plugs the hole or you stop and slap a plug in the tire,takes no time to fix...and you can run lower pressure for traction and float in the sand...
cons,it's messy,and can be a bitch to set up properly,sealant needs replacing at the worst possible times it seems...and after a while the tire gets basically welded to the rim,it can be a real struggle to get them back off
i don't even carry a spare inner tube any more,i probably should but they tend to get broken at the valve stem in the pack before i ever use them

zif

Veteran
pros,i live in the desert and the roads suck,there's a gazillion desert plants ready and willing to puncture tires,not the least of which is goatheads...little devil horn seed pods...with tubeless either the sealant plugs the hole or you stop and slap a plug in the tire,takes no time to fix...and you can run lower pressure for traction and float in the sand...
cons,it's messy,and can be a bitch to set up properly,sealant needs replacing at the worst possible times it seems...and after a while the tire gets basically welded to the rim,it can be a real struggle to get them back off
i don't even carry a spare inner tube any more,i probably should but they tend to get broken at the valve stem in the pack before i ever use them
Hadn’t considered that the sealant must be some potentially hellish stuff to do that job!

The trials guys put ‘em through an awful lot of abuse, but it makes sense that taking the thorns and such would be a definite pro, too.

Do you use the foam inserts with them? They seem to make sense at the super low pressures for rock hopping, but maybe also for durability?

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hadn’t considered that the sealant must be some potentially hellish stuff to do that job!

The trials guys put ‘em through an awful lot of abuse, but it makes sense that taking the thorns and such would be a definite pro, too.

Do you use the foam inserts with them? They seem to make sense at the super low pressures for rock hopping, but maybe also for durability?
trials guys use a high volume wide back tire to be able to run those low pressures

and no,i don't do anything gnarly enough to need inserts,the kind of riding i do and the places it takes me the danger is in the relative remoteness...you can be 2 miles from a main road as the crow flies,but it could take hours for rescue to get to you

Reactions: zif

Lotto

In Az the last couple weeks visiting grand kids. Always volunteer at Manzanita before their Sat. event preparing boxes. The goats I think were there on Sat. They served over 700 hundred families that day. No one is turned away. From Mercedes to bicycles, all are welcome. I live in hog and cow country and am amazed at how clean the goat enclosures are in your pictures. I did notice a couple turds in the last picture of goats. Totally unacceptable.

Attachments

• 431730648_797747812379281_8790297601029000731_n.jpg
    431730648_797747812379281_8790297601029000731_n.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 25

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I have never ran tubeless. I don't have a problem popping tubes, at least not yet.

My shoulder is still sore from crashing at the bike park a couple weeks ago. Seems like this aging thing is just going to keep happening. My confidence going airborne is at an all time low. And with screwed up shoulder I can't seen to avoid going lop sided in the air. I guess its a good thing I built a cargo bike instead of a shreddy hardtail. Managed to get in almost 60 miles last week which isn't bad considering the shit weather and having a job. Hoping the warm starts lasting more than a few days and I'll start trying for at least 100 per week.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
🌬️:tumbleweed:windy mornin campers...a seriously crappy day,winds are howling...so i guess a good thing i have the garden to deal with today...
might even rain today and tomorrow

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have never ran tubeless. I don't have a problem popping tubes, at least not yet.

My shoulder is still sore from crashing at the bike park a couple weeks ago. Seems like this aging thing is just going to keep happening. My confidence going airborne is at an all time low. And with screwed up shoulder I can't seen to avoid going lop sided in the air. I guess its a good thing I built a cargo bike instead of a shreddy hardtail. Managed to get in almost 60 miles last week which isn't bad considering the shit weather and having a job. Hoping the warm starts lasting more than a few days and I'll start trying for at least 100 per week.
less air time = less chance of being on friday fails!

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup,not a great nights sleep for me,winds kicked up and it got pretty noisy outside until i finally shut the window to dampen the noise to some degree...as a result i slept way past when i normally get up...
but done with veg,onto more trimming

Akss

Can't wait to be able to start leaving some windows open..been able to shut the pellet stove off for a bit during the day now but just fired it back up down Into the thirties in the morning...

Latest posts

Latest posts