What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

A Guide to Fishsticks

Drumskinz

:tumbleweed:mornin campers...looks like i've got a little leak from the swamp cooler...probably just the overflow plug is loose...i hope...or float valve...at any rate,usually simple to fix,just frustrating to deal with...i do have a new float valve and needed to go to home despot anyway...thus it begins,another summer of fixing the #$$@$% coolers...
at least i got the garden all dealt with yesterday....gonna need medium again soon...never stop grinding
Sounds like you should be like your neighbors and get AC…prolly the extra money ya spend on it might be better than the frustration of dealing with them swampers…I know ya don’t like my idea :geek:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
My wife is not lazy either. She thinks I am pretty smart so she listens to me. She says to me a lot. Where did you learn that. Or I didnt know you could do that.
Mine thinks I smart when conversating about something she is not doing. Or afterwards and I'm helping repair whatever it is. She just hates it when I tell her anything when it actually can help in real time.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the guys who make custom titanium bike parts sure do take their dear sweet time about it
if they had a big box they could grab a set out of, how would that make them special ? this way, you call & get a message like "one of the mutant albino cave-dwelling dwarves making your bars in the Swiss Alps was kidnapped by a Yeti. expect a delay of one day less than you would cancel the order over."

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I was in college I took honors history. For my honors project I did it on ancient siege weapons. I made working models of a trebuchet, onager and a ballista. I was flinging mini marshmallows all over the class as a demonstration. I had to dial back the ballista though. That thing was strong even thought it was only a foot and a half wide.

The dog loved it when I was testing as home. She was chasing down the marshmallows.
siege technology fascinating and terrifying for the recipients

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Mongols took siege technology from the Chinese and that’s what brought down everybody else hiding behind the walls during 1200’s …roughly

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High green chilly winds and windy vines
In loops around the twining shafts of lavender
They're crawling to the sun
Wonder who will water all the children of the garden
When they sigh about the barren lack of rain and
Droop so hungry 'neath the sky, Ai-yi
Underfoot the ground is patched
With climbing arms of ivy wrapped around the manzanita
Stark and shiny in the breeze
William Tell has stretched his bow
'Til it won't stretch no further more
And/or it may require a change that hasn't come before

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if they had a big box they could grab a set out of, how would that make them special ? this way, you call & get a message like "one of the mutant albino cave-dwelling dwarves making your bars in the Swiss Alps was kidnapped by a Yeti. expect a delay of one day less than you would cancel the order over."
that would be mithril,titanium comes from outer space...pretty sure it grows on Groot

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
roof question...so my roof has a leak,there's a section about 4x8 of fucked up shingles,can i just peel those up,replace the underlayment and put new shingles on? or am i going to need to have the whole roof done?
Check to see how pliable the shingles are. If you can bend them you may be able to replace them. You will also need to know if you can separate the seal down strip. The seal down strip is often called the tar strip. If you can get that to separate and the shingle is pliable you can replace the section.

The shingle above the last one you want to remove is nailed threw the shingle you want to remove. So you will have to remove the nails in that shingle first. Once that is done you need to remove the nails in the shingle you want to replace.

After all those nails are out you should be able to pull the shingle out once you have broken the seal down strip above and below it. The shingle to be removed is attached to the shingle above and to the shingle below. So separate those and remove the nails and you can pull the shingle out.

When you put the new shingle in you will need to seal it back down. Either to the shingle above or the shingle below. The new shingle will have a new seal down strip on the top or on the bottom. Where ever that strip is the opposite side will need to be sealed. So if the seal down strip is on the top the shingle undernieth will need to be sealed down.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the shingles will come up easily,they're pretty trashed...how much area does a standard unit of shingles cover? and i'm guessing i should go a bit beyond where the damaged shingles are so call it a 10x8 foot area...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
the shingles will come up easily,they're pretty trashed...how much area does a standard unit of shingles cover? and i'm guessing i should go a bit beyond where the damaged shingles are so call it a 10x8 foot area...
You will need 3 bundles. A bundle of normal shingles covers 33 square feet. Some of the high end shingles only cover 17 square feet or 20 square feet or 25 square feet ect. But I am guessing you have what about 99% of the shingled roofs have.

You may need a few nails and a tube of roof cement.

If they are coming apart just check to see if you can bend a shingle up enough to nail under it. The last course will still be attached and you will need to bend up the shingle above it to renail the shingle above the last course back down.