What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

'90/'00s "Dutch" strains

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I agree, but a lot has changed since and the last decades Dutch laws have become more and more rigid. So selling clones is now illegal in the Netherlands and less accesable.

I haven't visited the shops for a long time, but from friends I hear the overall quality seems to be less these days (hear say ofcourse). New laws pushed it from the idealists/hobbyists into illegality and organized crime.

I think this might also be a reason Dutch seedshops have lost some genetics, as they also suffer under these new legislations.

Ofcourse you'll always have some different pheno's. But these days if I plant the same strain from three different growshops, I'll sometimes end up with three completely different plants. 😅
Don't forget the Damocles law, which is active for several years now.

Screenshot_20230901-183900_Chrome.jpg

Asentrouw

Don't forget the Damocles law, which is active for several years now.

View attachment 18892050

That's what I mean by ridiculous "war on drugs"-like legislation. While majors kick hobbyists and medicinal users out of their houses for a handfull of plants, organized crime thrives and take over the market. They only strengthen what they claim to fight. That law in itself is criminal, as it is a sneaky bypass past criminal law and judicial judgements.

goingrey

Others, like Nirvana Snow White did quite well for me.

But maybe I'm just overly nostalgic, could be ofcourse. 😂

I will look into the Lost Pearl then, would be very nice if its the same strain.
Yeah Nirvana has most of these old strains you mention. Though at their store many don't seem to be available right now, hopefully sold out because they are still good and not discontinued because they aren't. But retailers might have stock. They have B-52 at the moment.

This is Wernard's shop? Didn't know he was selling seeds again. Surely the most legit source! It was always a Positronics strain (not The Seed Bank). They also have Santa Maria.

The Black widow by mr. nice seems to be he closest to the original WW.

But, never popped then by myself. just read it a lot.
Mr Nice has the original if you believe Shantibaba and De Sjamaan has the original if you believe Ingemar hehe.

Asentrouw

Yeah Nirvana has most of these old strains you mention. Though at their store many don't seem to be available right now, hopefully sold out because they are still good and not discontinued because they aren't. But retailers might have stock. They have B-52 at the moment.

I see they changed the site and some of their strains are discontinued. Their Snow White, White Rino and Blue Mystic don't seem to be available anymore. Can probably still source them in some seedshops though.

I hate this as I have a long (endless) list full of strains I like to try, but many are discontinued before I have money to finally get them. You have to be quick these days. 🤣

Last edited:

BusyB

I remember White Rhino and Snow White doing the rounds, that was good.
Knetter I think it’s called was a good one too.
I used to really rate Mr nice seeds, very good plants, that Black Widow is strong, though the Medicine Man I grew all hermied and the G13 skunk pheno I had was one prone to mold.
NL5xHaze, SuperSilverHaze, Ortega/Northern Lights all menu favorites.

RobertFripp

Well I grow, but maybe just not enough. 🤣
I grew my first plants in 1972 ( Oaxacan - Pure Landrace ) and got the very first 1000w HID when the came out around 1978. The very first 1000w HID that was available was a very fragile Metal Halide that was used in the Navy Nuclear subs, so they could grow vegetables, as sometimes they wouldnt come up for 6 months, or more. It was so fragile, they wouldnt guarantee it would survive shipping.
Then several months later they came out with the more durable. Super Nova. And you could pair that with the Octa Garden. Also had the first Isomerizer, when they came out around 1974. My uncle destroyed it, when he caught me making hash oil in my bedroom. Smashed it on the front sidewalk.

Happs

i see it like the fashion business.
Things go around and around at the moment it is sweet weed so stick a Z on the end and it’s the next big cross..and flava of the month.
Some time soon I am sure flared trousers will be back in fashion and people will look at you funny because you haven’t got a pair of flares on..lol.
Over rated and over hyped are all these new strains imo.
You can see the price of this in Amsterdam at the moment some of these coffeeshops are asking 110 euro for a 3.5 from the US.
and let’s be honest it’s grown in Holland.
And it’s nothing special.
The hype train exploded when American and Canada went legal ish..

StickyBandit

Many breeders sell hybrids which are good, sure, but many make them from old strains which they don't release in their true form or as regulars!

Latest posts

Latest posts