What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 US Presidential Election

Who will become next President in U.S. what do you think?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i just went to the hardware store to buy some lumber. i decided to get some chinese take-out for dinner while i was out. i ordered the moo goo guide dog as usual.

in view of the conversations this morning i decided to ask the chinese couple who own the restaurant where they were from and how long have they been here.

they are from mainland china and they have been here 18 years.

i asked them why they came to america and guess what? they said that they came to escape oppression and have the opportunity to make a better life for themselves here. they own a chain of very successful restaurants, drive nice late model cars, and are sending there kids to the best schools.

they chased the american dream and succeded.

then, at lowes i ran into a fellow from mexico who is a construction contractor. he's been here 10 years and said he came for the opportunity. he said, in spanish, "para opportunidad".
amen to both of em.... i welcome everyone... who comes legally

greyfader

amen to both of em.... i welcome everyone... who comes legally
you're a good man! please read the project 2025 document!

remember the definition of fascism; "centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition"

FORCIBLE SUPPRESSION OF OPPOSITION, you just heard it from the mouth of kevin roberts in the video Moose posted!

of all the policy talk that's going around, like abortion, the economy, the border, maintaining our democracy is the single most important issue. it is precious!

moose eater

you're a good man! please read the project 2025 document!

remember the definition of fascism; "centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition"

FORCIBLE SUPPRESSION OF OPPOSITION, you just heard it from the mouth of kevin roberts in the video Moose posted!

of all the policy talk that's going around, like abortion, the economy, the border, maintaining our democracy is the single most important issue. it is precious!
"When those who swear an oath to uphold the laws instead choose to violate the laws, then there is no law."
From the current SCOTUS on down, whether everyone's comfy with it or not, that's where we're at. Period.

And to lesser or greater degrees, the forfeiture of duties under the laws and the US (and various state) Constitution(s) have been committed by BOTH sides of the aisle in DC and elsewhere.... repeatedly.

By the way, legal immigration includes those seeking asylum from places our State Dept./CIA and various administrations (or other non-US groups of nefarious nitwits in powerful positions) ILLEGALLY fucked up, yet there's been all sorts of extra-legal, underhanded, defacto modifications to those long-standing laws re. asylum seekers, for the purpose of satisfying popular whims of the day. Policy du jour... Like a bad French restaurant...

Last edited:

greyfader

"When those who swear an oath to uphold the laws instead choose to violate the laws, then there is no law."
From the current SCOTUS on down, whether everyone's comfy with it or not, that's where we're at. Period.

And to lesser or greater degrees, the forfeiture of duties under the laws and US Constitution have been committed by BOTH sides of the aisle in DC and elsewhere.... repeatedly.

By the way, legal immigration includes those seeking asylum from places our State Dept./CIA and various administrations (or other groups of nefarious nitwits in powerful positions) ILLEGALLY fucked up, yet there's been all sorts of extra-legal, underhanded, defacto modifications to those long-standing laws re. asylum seekers, for the purpose of satisfying popular whims of the day. Policy du jour... Like a bad French restaurant...
true! but we do need to stop accepting asylum requests at our border. that alone would stop the chaos.

of all the recent presidents Obama deported more per year than anyone else, more than twice the number per year that Trump deported.

all of our presidents have been forced to adhere to existing immigration law, to some degree. the real solution to illegal immigration lies in the congress. if they can stop bickering long enough to get anything done.

moose eater

true! but we do need to stop accepting asylum requests at our border. that alone would stop the chaos.

of all the recent presidents Obama deported more per year than anyone else, more than twice the number per year that Trump deported.

all of our presidents have been forced to adhere to existing immigration law, to some degree. the real solution to illegal immigration lies in the congress. if they can stop bickering long enough to get anything done.
The best starting point to stop accepting asylum requests en masse here is to stop engaging in illegal covert and overt ops in others' lands. If we stop fucking up their places economically, governmentally,. socially, and militarily, perhaps they'd stop coming in droves and have a place they'd want to stay.

'Home' is held quite dearly by most, wherever that might be. They don't take moving to the US lightly.

When 'we' take part in making the mess that many of those countries have turned into, courtesy of our 'representation' in those many leather-topped-desk alphabet soup agency offices, we forfeit the ability to complain about the residuals or blow-back.

Like tipping over a glass of milk, then complaining that the carpet got wet and "Why hasn't anyone cleaned it up yet?!"

I think if we're going to coerce the well-dressed stuffed-suit heathen scum in the many positions of power to engage in sensitivity training, the first book that they ought to have to read aloud to each other, with mandatory attendance, on camera, in their assigned or respective chambers (to include the Oval Office), is, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". It addresses most of what the bastards seem to have forgotten that was truly pertinent to life.

Last edited:

moose eater

Excerpts from 'All I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten', courtesy of the author in a retrospective with some amount of discussion.

Again, this ought to be made mandatory public reading for the disingenuous ego-addled scum who've hijacked the gov and the American Dream.

>>>""ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School. These are the things I learned:

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don’t hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don’t take things that aren’t yours.

Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.

Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon.

When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.

Wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.

Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup—they all die. So do we.

And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned—the biggest word of all—LOOK.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.

Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or your work or your government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world it would be if we all—the whole world—had cookies and milk about three o’clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess.

And it is still true, no matter how old you are—when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

Deep Kindergarten

As I write this I am sixty-five years old. Not so old, really, but I have been around awhile. Kindergarten is a long way back there. What do I know now?

The Kindergarten Credo is not kid stuff.

It is not simple. It is elemental.

The essay answers the questions asked sooner or later by every one of us who once stared out a classroom window wondering: Why am I here? Why do I have to go to school?

We are sent to school to be civilized—to be introduced to the essential machinery of human society. Early on in our lives we are sent out of the home into the world. To school. We have no choice in this. Society judges it so important that we be educated that we must go. It is the law. And when we get to school we are taught the fundamentals on which civilization rests. These are first explained in language a small child understands.

For example, it would do no good to tell a six-year-old that “Studies have shown that human society cannot function without an equitable distribution of the resources of the earth.” While this statement is profoundly and painfully true, a child cannot comprehend this vocabulary. So a child is told that there are twenty children and five balls to play with; likewise four easels, three sets of blocks, two guinea pigs, and one bathroom. To be fair, we must share.

Likewise a six-year-old will not understand that “By and large it has been demonstrated that violence is counterproductive to the constructive interaction of persons and societies.” True. But a child can better understand that the rule out in the world and in the school is the same: Don’t hit people. Bad things happen. The child must understand this rule is connected to the first rule: People won’t share or play fair if you hit them.

It’s hard to explain the cost and consequences of environmental pollution and destruction to a six year old. But we are paying a desperate price even now because adults did not heed the instructions of kindergarten: Clean up your own mess; put things back where you found them; don’t take what’s not yours.

“The history of society is more defined by its understanding of disease than its formulation of philosophy and political theory.” True. Basic sanitation. Keeping excrement off our hands as well as out of our minds is important. But it’s enough to teach a child to use the toilet, flush, and wash his hands regularly.

And so on. From the first day we are told in words we can handle what has come to be prized as the foundation of community and culture. Though the teacher may call these first lessons “simple rules,” they are in fact the distillation of all the hard-won, field-tested working standards of the human enterprise.

Once we are told about these things, we soon discover we are taking a lab course. We are going to be asked to try and practice these precepts every day. Knowledge is meaningful only if it is reflected in action. The human race has found out the hard way that we are what we do, not just what we think. This is true for kids and adults—for schoolrooms and nations.

I am sometimes amazed at what we did not fully grasp in kindergarten. In the years I was a parish minister I was always taken aback when someone came to me and said. “I’ve just come from the doctor and he told me I have a only a limited time to live.”

I was tempted to shout, “What? You didn’t know? You had to pay a doctor to tell you—at your age? Where were you the week in kindergarten when you got the little cup with the cotton and water and seed? Life happened—remember? A plant grew up and the roots grew down. A miracle. And then a few days later the plant was dead. DEAD. Life is short. Were you asleep that week or home sick or what?”

I never said all that. But I thought it. And it’s true. The idea was for us to have the whole picture right from the beginning. Life-and-death. Lifedeath. One event. One short event. Don’t forget.

There’s another thing not everyone figures out right away: It’s almost impossible to go through life all alone. We need to find our support group—family, friends, companion, therapy gatherings, team, church or whatever. The kindergarten admonition applies as long as we live: “When you go out into the world, hold hands and stick together.” It’s dangerous out there—lonely, too. Everyone needs someone. Some assembly is always required.

What we learn in kindergarten comes up again and again in our lives as long as we live. In far more complex, polysyllabic forms, to be sure. In lectures, encyclopedias, bibles, company rules, courts of law, sermons, and handbooks. Life will examine us continually to see if we have understood and have practiced what we were taught that first year of school.""<<<

Copyright © 2003 by Robert Fulghum
PublisherBallantine Books
CategoriesSelf-Improvement & InspirationWellnessNon-Fiction
About All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
About Robert Fulghum

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

greyfader

The best starting point to stop accepting asylum requests en masse here is to stop engaging in illegal covert and overt ops in others' lands. If we stop fucking up their places economically, governmentally,. socially, and militarily, perhaps they'd stop coming in droves and have a place they'd want to stay.

'Home' is held quite dearly by most, wherever that might be. They don't take moving to the US lightly.

When 'we' take part in making the mess that many of those countries have turned into, courtesy of our 'representation' in those many leather-topped-desk alphabet soup agency offices, we forfeit the ability to complain about the residuals or blow-back.

Like tipping over a glass of milk, then complaining that the carpet got wet and "Why hasn't anyone cleaned it up yet?!"

I think if we're going to coerce the well-dressed stuffed-suit heathen scum in the many positions of power to engage in sensitivity training, the first book that they ought to have to read aloud to each other, with mandatory attendance, on camera, in their assigned chambers, is, "Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". It addresses most of what the bastards seem to have forgotten that was truly pertinent to life.
if, over the last hundred years or so, we had spent the money used to interfere in other countries affairs on economic development in those countries instead, we wouldn't be facing this immigration crisis now.

i spent some time in haiti and i can tell you it is a shithole with no hope for progress. they are almost in starvation mode because they have destroyed their own landscape by burning up all the trees to make charcoal for cooking. i flew at 30k ft over the island of hispaniola one time and you can clearly see the political boundary between haiti and the dominican republic. the haitian side is brown, almost without vegetation with most of the topsoil washed away into the sea. denuded mountains. the dominican side is lush, tropical forest.

so, why has the world forgotten about haiti? it's simply because they have no natural resources to exploit.

i feel that modern, advanced nations have a moral responsibility to help the less fortunate ones.

in lieu of sending them a plane ticket and a set of samsonite luggage perhaps we should create an industrial base for them to use the only thing they have, which is labor. but not for our profit. we are wealthy enough to operate industry on a none profit basis as part of our foreign policy. let them plow the proceeds back into more development themselves. but, again, human greed and corruption is the big obstacle.

greyfader

Excerpts from 'All I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten', courtesy of the author in a retrospective with some amount of discussion.

Again, this ought to be made mandatory public reading for the disingenuous ego-addled scum who've hijacked the gov and the American Dream.

>>>""ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW about how to live and what to do and how to be I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate-school mountain, but there in the sandpile at Sunday School. These are the things I learned:

Share everything.

Play fair.

Don’t hit people.

Put things back where you found them.

Clean up your own mess.

Don’t take things that aren’t yours.

Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody.

Wash your hands before you eat.

Flush.

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.

Live a balanced life—learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.

Take a nap every afternoon.

When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.

Wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.

Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup—they all die. So do we.

And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned—the biggest word of all—LOOK.

Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living.

Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or your work or your government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm. Think what a better world it would be if we all—the whole world—had cookies and milk about three o’clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap. Or if all governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess.

And it is still true, no matter how old you are—when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

Deep Kindergarten

As I write this I am sixty-five years old. Not so old, really, but I have been around awhile. Kindergarten is a long way back there. What do I know now?

The Kindergarten Credo is not kid stuff.

It is not simple. It is elemental.

The essay answers the questions asked sooner or later by every one of us who once stared out a classroom window wondering: Why am I here? Why do I have to go to school?

We are sent to school to be civilized—to be introduced to the essential machinery of human society. Early on in our lives we are sent out of the home into the world. To school. We have no choice in this. Society judges it so important that we be educated that we must go. It is the law. And when we get to school we are taught the fundamentals on which civilization rests. These are first explained in language a small child understands.

For example, it would do no good to tell a six-year-old that “Studies have shown that human society cannot function without an equitable distribution of the resources of the earth.” While this statement is profoundly and painfully true, a child cannot comprehend this vocabulary. So a child is told that there are twenty children and five balls to play with; likewise four easels, three sets of blocks, two guinea pigs, and one bathroom. To be fair, we must share.

Likewise a six-year-old will not understand that “By and large it has been demonstrated that violence is counterproductive to the constructive interaction of persons and societies.” True. But a child can better understand that the rule out in the world and in the school is the same: Don’t hit people. Bad things happen. The child must understand this rule is connected to the first rule: People won’t share or play fair if you hit them.

It’s hard to explain the cost and consequences of environmental pollution and destruction to a six year old. But we are paying a desperate price even now because adults did not heed the instructions of kindergarten: Clean up your own mess; put things back where you found them; don’t take what’s not yours.

“The history of society is more defined by its understanding of disease than its formulation of philosophy and political theory.” True. Basic sanitation. Keeping excrement off our hands as well as out of our minds is important. But it’s enough to teach a child to use the toilet, flush, and wash his hands regularly.

And so on. From the first day we are told in words we can handle what has come to be prized as the foundation of community and culture. Though the teacher may call these first lessons “simple rules,” they are in fact the distillation of all the hard-won, field-tested working standards of the human enterprise.

Once we are told about these things, we soon discover we are taking a lab course. We are going to be asked to try and practice these precepts every day. Knowledge is meaningful only if it is reflected in action. The human race has found out the hard way that we are what we do, not just what we think. This is true for kids and adults—for schoolrooms and nations.

I am sometimes amazed at what we did not fully grasp in kindergarten. In the years I was a parish minister I was always taken aback when someone came to me and said. “I’ve just come from the doctor and he told me I have a only a limited time to live.”

I was tempted to shout, “What? You didn’t know? You had to pay a doctor to tell you—at your age? Where were you the week in kindergarten when you got the little cup with the cotton and water and seed? Life happened—remember? A plant grew up and the roots grew down. A miracle. And then a few days later the plant was dead. DEAD. Life is short. Were you asleep that week or home sick or what?”

I never said all that. But I thought it. And it’s true. The idea was for us to have the whole picture right from the beginning. Life-and-death. Lifedeath. One event. One short event. Don’t forget.

There’s another thing not everyone figures out right away: It’s almost impossible to go through life all alone. We need to find our support group—family, friends, companion, therapy gatherings, team, church or whatever. The kindergarten admonition applies as long as we live: “When you go out into the world, hold hands and stick together.” It’s dangerous out there—lonely, too. Everyone needs someone. Some assembly is always required.

What we learn in kindergarten comes up again and again in our lives as long as we live. In far more complex, polysyllabic forms, to be sure. In lectures, encyclopedias, bibles, company rules, courts of law, sermons, and handbooks. Life will examine us continually to see if we have understood and have practiced what we were taught that first year of school.""<<<

Copyright © 2003 by Robert Fulghum
PublisherBallantine Books
CategoriesSelf-Improvement & InspirationWellnessNon-Fiction
About All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
About Robert Fulghu

thank you for this! life doesn't have to be so complicated. in our sophistication we complicate ourselves.

moose eater

if, over the last hundred years or so, we had spent the money used to interfere in other countries affairs on economic development in those countries instead, we wouldn't be facing this immigration crisis now.

i spent some time in haiti and i can tell you it is a shithole with no hope for progress. they are almost in starvation mode because they have destroyed their own landscape by burning up all the trees to make charcoal for cooking. i flew at 30k ft over the island of hispaniola one time and you can clearly see the political boundary between haiti and the dominican republic. the haitian side is brown, almost without vegetation with most of the topsoil washed away into the sea. denuded mountains. the dominican side is lush, tropical forest.

so, why has the world forgotten about haiti? it's simply because they have no natural resources to exploit.

i feel that modern, advanced nations have a moral responsibility to help the less fortunate ones.

in lieu of sending them a plane ticket and a set of samsonite luggage perhaps we should create an industrial base for them to use the only thing they have, which is labor. but not for our profit. we are wealthy enough to operate industry on a none profit basis as part of our foreign policy. let them plow the proceeds back into more development themselves. but, again, human greed and corruption is the big obstacle.
In most places we infested with our boundary-challenged, sociopathic US State Dept dogma, propaganda and 'plans', often supporting despots who far more deserved a bullet in their heads than taxpayers' subsidies that were often personally pocketed by those same despots, it was typically either to achieve preferential treatment for US and International corporations, or for military strategic advantage, or both.

Imagine incarcerating those entities all the way back to Kissinger who violated those laws, sponsored coups, etc., and taxing the corporations HEAVILY who benefited in order to rebuild and aid progress in those places that they bilked for dirt-cheap resources free of export tariffs for decades, to include ol' man Dole and Coca Cola..

moose eater

thank you for this! life doesn't have to be so complicated. in our sophistication we complicate ourselves.
You're welcome.

I was serious about a regimen of having leadership at all levels in this Nation stand before a camera and read that aloud... like, every day, to the public and to each other... on camera, and to be archived should they forget for even a minute.

Sometimes our youngest children and their kindergarten teachers are both wiser and smarter than those we mistakenly place into the roles of 'leadership' or 'representation'.

moose eater

1720308221307.png

greyfader

In most places we infested with our boundary-challenged, sociopathic US State Dept dogma, propaganda and 'plans', often supporting despots who far more deserved a bullet in their heads than taxpayers' subsidies that were often personally pocketed by those same despots, it was typically either to achieve preferential treatment for US and International corporations, or for military strategic advantage, or both.

Imagine incarcerating those entities all the way back to Kissinger who violated those laws, sponsored coups, etc., and taxing the corporations HEAVILY who benefited in order to rebuild and aid progress in those places that they bilked for dirt-cheap resources free of export tariffs for decades, to include ol' man Dole and Coca Cola..
but, i like pineapple! so, that makes it ok.

Latest posts

Latest posts