What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

kro-magnon

Veteran
So don't complain the market don't focus on those strains if even you ,interested in them, are not ready to spend your own money to preserve them.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I don't have space to do some preservation currently when I had more space to grow I made some seeds of my favorite Super Skunk who were passed to growers around me. In the same time I don't complain of the gene pool. For me the offerings have never so diverse and easily accessible to every growers with internet access;

PetePrice

The Y brings a ton of unknown genetic & epigenetic relationships & additional vigor into the equations. Some believe true/ the purest hybrid vigor requires a M:F relationship, I’m definitely one of them.

That said only a fool relies on a single set of tools, both Regs & Fems rightfully have there place, personally when I’m creating/breeding I only use regs, that’s just me, however.

So many funny posts in this thread holding certain “breeders” on pedestals, some of them fellas barely did any of their own work, ever, well outside marketing, sales & running a business, but actually plant work not so much…. Haha, it takes a ton of attributes to do that though & kudos to them & their successes :tiphat:
It really doesn't though does it? believing doesn't make it so.

"The Y chromosome is considered homomorphic and degenerate with little to no homology or overlap with the X-chromosome and likely does not recombine"

been waiting on you to answer but there's nothing there? as the Y is degenerative and thus most parts don't recombine with the X, Selection is reduced and thus gives rise to more deleterious mutation and TE's hence the Y shows as bigger as a large part of it is full of crap (eventually the Y will be smaller as it will shed all that crap)

The Y or XY plants nowadays that are degenerated show high amounts of dosage compensation ie very labile or intersex like...

This is all proven and out there to read, so again what does the Y bring? and if we go off your previous answer of vigour, then how does this happen?

I can fully understand that males are different to females just by there morph but that is all just to do with pollen and dispersal, they seriously bring more problems.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I sure wish I could get 2.5 acres of farmable land for $2200. I don't think they understand the hurdles and financial costs to do what they're talking about here in the United States.

If they can make it work where they live I wish them the best.
What is missing where I live is the legality, I can't grow such a field openly while it's not legal.

PetePrice

lol please don’t inflate Sam’s ego any more than it already is - haha :)

A lot of people weighing in here on Skunk; I wonder if they even grew up in Skunk country like many of us to know the various smells coming from a skunk based on numerous factors, distance a huge one, the smell changes wildly y’all - ever been sprayed or your dogs…?

You ever hear the song video killed the radio star…?

NL & Bubblegum killed off skunk (they were the new fad & risk in growing them significantly less); those of us there & whom lived it remember it well - skunk was in everything domestic in the 80’s & into early 90’s then poof it was gone, overlap the timelines…

PS: Tom is a drunk muppet that a long time ago grew huge plants and had the balls to post them; man has he rested on them laurels for decades !!

PPS: his haze is filled with deep chunk, all of us in the know including him know that !

The truth can hurt but it remains the same

Well he isn't here to defend himself but he doesn't owe you shit so get of his jock ffs.

xtsho

I don't have space to do some preservation currently when I had more space to grow I made some seeds of my favorite Super Skunk who were passed to growers around me. In the same time I don't complain of the gene pool. For me the offerings have never so diverse and easily accessible to every growers with internet access;

You're not doing any actual preservation work. You're just saving your favorite hybrids. Preservation of the gene pool would be preserving the strains that were used to make that Super Skunk.

PetePrice

You're not doing any actual preservation work. You're just saving your favorite hybrids. Preservation of the gene pool would be preserving the strains that were used to make that Super Skunk.

Well Nev couldn't be arsed doing that either so...... but he did give us great products

kro-magnon

Veteran
I didn't pretend to be a preservationist, some people are able to do it in my country while it's illegal and you who complain about a perceived degraded genepool don't do on a scale big enough to be really effective while you could do it legally and safely. If it's just a money problem, organize yourself to make it live with all the people who complain about the genepool. It's not that hard to collect money for frivolous projects today. How are doing financially Khalifa seeds who are in the US I think?

kro-magnon

Veteran
And please tell me how someone could access the parent plants of Super Skunk, really curious to know how to get them?

mudballs

I got ur back tom...here's his statement on everyones feelings towards him
Screenshot_20240813-132333_Chrome.jpg

Old Piney

Really? I thought remote pieces of land were not so expensive in some part of the US. The requirements to grow are:
-enough sun
-access to water(by pipes or stream)
- choosing the Lat.N depending on what you plan to grow
-Not too close nosy neighbors
And the work can be done by the people regrouping on the project. How much would cost a project like this seriously?
If the goal is to make seeds for preservation the need of watering is much mower than bud production, specially with landraces coming from countries where they grow during the dry season.
I believe your right however I don't think you can buy two acres for a little over $2000 almost anywhere now .I you buy in the right location I don't believe irrigation is the issue the biggest hurdle will be the Law. Many landraces are naturally drought resistant as well.

kro-magnon

Veteran
I don't know the prices in the us and when I ask how much a project would cost there is no real answer. The requirements to grow landraces are not the same than fragile hybrids and don't need so much water or work done on them to produce seeds. Can you tell me roughly a grow like this could cost in the US?
I believe your right however I don't think you can buy two acres for a little over $2000 almost anywhere now .I you buy in the right location I don't believe irrigation is the issue the biggest hurdle will be the Law. Many landraces are naturally drought resistant as well.

mudballs

No water source is called 'dry land farming' and that can be cheap midwest but they usually do like 1,000 acre stuff. Finding an irrigation ready plot is expensive.

Tynehead Tom

well despite tom hill's outlandish and often insulting forum behavior..... his basic outdoor soil mix grows awesome cannabis that I only have to give water and nothin else, so at least he was good for something :ROFLMAO:

Old Piney

What is missing where I live is the legality, I can't grow such a field openly while it's not legal.
Even in legal states you can't do that no state allows that many plants. The only possible legal way I can think of is with a hemp growing license , I'm sure with plenty of red tape , money and hoops to jump through. I've heard that there growers of marijuana seed producing seed for sale using hemp farming license. Any cannabis seed is legal hemp because they contain no THC. I believe that the law is the greatest threat to the gene pool

Tynehead Tom

Here where I am nearing 52N , acre lots are going for roughly 45 to 60 thousand Canadian. Farmland acreages are a little cheaper per acre but then there is buildings ect.
I thought about buying a 160 acre "farm" not long ago, down in more southern area near the 49 that is an excellent growing climate. It was 540,000 at the time, with a house, a big barnwith attached shop and a 60 x 20 greenhouse frame only.(needed work) . Now that same property is assessed at 1.1 million LOL
Elsewhere in Canada land can be bought alot cheaper but growing climate matters if it is outdoor farming a guy has in mind. Landrace preservation would be very tough though..... with the right selections for sure but the scope would be narrow

xtsho

And please tell me how someone could access the parent plants of Super Skunk, really curious to know how to get them?

You can get Afghani from ACE or the Real Seed company. Ace has some central American Sativa's that are likely going to be as close as you can get to the Mexican and Columbian.

kro-magnon

Veteran
You can get Afghani from ACE or the Real Seed company. Ace has some central American Sativa's that are likely going to be as close as you can get to the Mexican and Columbian.
You're being a smart ass here ,that's not the direct parents of the Super Skunk but distant relatives, not really the same. But again I never pretended to be a preservationist just asking you who say you are why you don't do it at a bigger scale as it is legal for you to do it.