What's new

2024 ICMAG Growers and Breeders Cup - in Bangkok Thailand - your thoughts please -

Thighland

The beach is not crowded at all - ya - a few western tourists - but mostly clean sandy beach - can see maybe 10 foreigners from my view - at the end of the bar - at 3.30pm - hot afternoon - people are basking in the aircon - maybe? - taking a siesta -
You are lucky, that's a beautiful part of the world, which will probably be crowded again before long

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yep - they do have proper streaky bacon - and will cook it real crispy - if you like it that way - yesterday I told the food and drink manager that I didn't see any plain Greek Yogurt on the buffet - so he went and bought me a kilo last night - now we have it - and I prefer it to the locally made stuff -

To all and sundry - I'm currently on Koh Lanta - at the Pimalai resort (Thailand) - had a great breakfast - huge buffet and ala carte - then pool time till 11.30am - and off to the spa for a 90 minute deep Thai massage - then back to the villa for a fat spliff and more pool time till 'happy hour' down at the beach bar at 5.30-6.30pm - watching the sun go down - wish you were here - ' -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Here is hoping that you all had a good 4/20 - I did - a gift with 5 different kinds of 'erb showed up - in a package addressed to me - and I will sample them over the coming days - looks like they have been tested and grown properly -

NEED 4 SEED

I think the whole idea is wrong. It is born out of a rich mans pocket. Who is able to fly to Thailand for testsmoking a few buds...Not me. Are Thai people even able or willing to attend cups in Europe? Did they before? Did they at all care for ICMag or the cup ever? I don't want to exclude them from anything but this idea looks to me somehow in the tradition of colonialism where people of the so called first world countries go everywhere they want and they pretend they bring something good to countries of the so called 2nd and 3rd world countries. Which most of the time is just about profit and egoism and doing nothing good for them actually. Just let them develop their own thing first out of their own hearts or invite them to participate at their own will. What if the Thai growers wanted to develop their own ideas and now we're coming around being their rivals in their new markets. I hate this idea.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I think the whole idea is wrong. It is born out of a rich mans pocket. Who is able to fly to Thailand for testsmoking a few buds...Not me. Are Thai people even able or willing to attend cups in Europe? Did they before? Did they at all care for ICMag or the cup ever? I don't want to exclude them from anything but this idea looks to me somehow in the tradition of colonialism where people of the so called first world countries go everywhere they want and they pretend they bring something good to countries of the so called 2nd and 3rd world countries. Which most of the time is just about profit and egoism and doing nothing good for them actually. Just let them develop their own thing first out of their own hearts or invite them to participate at their own will. What if the Thai growers wanted to develop their own ideas and now we're coming around being their rivals in their new markets. I hate this idea.
Hating on anything - is not ever on my agenda - ideas have been shared between East and west for ions - if no one had played a game of cricket or football - in a country foreign to these sports - then we wouldn't have an international sporting community playing these sports - putting a flower show on in Thailand for cannabis helps normalise the plant - and gets it celebrated - same as it would be for any flower - fruit or vegetable - how you define colonialism out of that - is hard to fathom -

NEED 4 SEED

Hating on anything - is not ever on my agenda - ideas have been shared between East and west for ions - if no one had played a game of cricket or football - in a country foreign to these sports - then we wouldn't have an international sporting community playing these sports - putting a flower show on in Thailand for cannabis helps normalise the plant - and gets it celebrated - same as it would be for any flower - fruit or vegetable - how you define colonialism out of that - is hard to fathom -
I also hate football, lol...let me hate what I want. Hate is also just another word for strong antipathy. Football makes millions of people act like idiots (in my eyes). Colonialism is also when people with money use their advantage to be the first to profit from new opportunities. Now, I don't exactly mean there are profits to be made for the people like you that are doing a cup but the tradition of being the first is there and the Thai probably have their own ideas for developing structures and goals.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I also hate football, lol...let me hate what I want. Hate is also just another word for strong antipathy. Football makes millions of people act like idiots (in my eyes). Colonialism is also when people with money use their advantage to be the first to profit from new opportunities. Now, I don't exactly mean there are profits to be made for the people like you that are doing a cup but the tradition of being the first is there and the Thai probably have their own ideas for developing structures and goals.
Well - in all the 4/20 cups I have had a hand in - in the past - not one has been profitable - some have broken even - and others have cost far more than they ever produced financially - we put them on to bring growers and breeders together - to judge what might be the most popular and well grown flowers of the year - and in so - celebrating the plant - I am sure that the Thai's have their own ways of presenting such events - and are always looking to involve the international community - as I have spoken with Thai's who have such ideas and opinions - and would like to see an international event that brings growers and their flowers from all over the world together - in some sort of fun competition -
* after all we are 'International Cannagraphic ' - and to use an old cliche - 'Hater's gonna hate ' -

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
I made up this joke a while back. Seems fitting in this thread.

In 1969, during the Vietnam War two American soldiers left to get some beer.

When they got in the city a hooker told them the following:

You know they call this place BangCock G.I.?

:laughing:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
In my estimation - on if and when a Thai 4/20 cup can take place/shape - will depend on the outcome of the forthcoming election - because risking the freedom of myself and attendees - by putting on a very public event - that the cops could bust us for - is not an option quite honestly - would be sheer folly - if the wrong party wins - that is against any.sort of cannabis proliferation - then that would be very unfortunate - if you had already worked and invested - to put on such an event -

cola

In my estimation - on if and when a Thai 4/20 cup can take place/shape - will depend on the outcome of the forthcoming election - because risking the freedom of myself and attendees - by putting on a very public event - that the cops could bust us for - is not an option quite honestly - would be sheer folly - if the wrong party wins - that is against any.sort of cannabis proliferation - then that would be very unfortunate - if you had already worked and invested - to put on such an event -
Believe that is very prudent and logical thinking. Safety, especially personal safety, is first and foremost. And, if you cannot ensure your own safety, obviously you cannot do so in an event planning for anyone else. Me thinks no reason to push the river. How long has it been country wide legal there, after all? We can all remember, a very few short years ago, seeing people locked up for indefinite times, and even killed, in places that more resembled zoo cages than jails. Lets not spin the clock in reverse, and push the envelope, by putting our own values and wishes ahead of what is going on there politically and in government, especially in a climate that could very quickly change.

Last edited:

Smeden

In the perfect world IC420 should be International.
= ideally ICMAG could host an event in Amsterdam, Cali and Thailand at the same time/days.
Participants would have to adjust to the time a bit like F1.

I am quite sure many of the "experienced" Thai growers would love to test their flowers against other pro growers + taste flowers from other pro growers.

Maybe a nightmare logistics wise to send all the samples between 3 locations? but if all 3 locations are legal - then IC420 2024 could become much bigger with more categories and participants?

It could become the first real "International" cannabis cup.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
If I won the lottery would move to Thailand. Phuket and Krabi have beautiful beaches. Koh Tao is also beautiful, but named murder island due to local mob. Koh Phangnan has full moon parties that draw 20K people. Probably a lot of psychedelics and club drug users. Parts of Bangkok are very expensive. Pattaya is touristy with prostitutes (bar girls). Chiang Mai is beautiful but air is worst in world in the spring due to farmers burning fields. I have not been there but member of many FB groups for 5 years. 24 hour flight for me. Would hope all Australians know not to bring dogs due to re-entry.

Smeden

@Loc Dog what dogs are people from Australia not allowed to bring? Snoop Dogs or Log Dogs? I hope both are allowed :)

From what I know it would be the first in the world to bring 3 legal continents together - closer to a world cup like event. If Cannabis remains legal in Thailand!

How is/was the cup in Barcelona this year? I mention Amsterdam because it is more travel friendly for Nordic countries.

Loc Dog

Veteran
@Loc Dog what dogs are people from Australia not allowed to bring? Snoop Dogs or Log Dogs? I hope both are allowed :)

From what I know it would be the first in the world to bring 3 legal continents together - closer to a world cup like event. If Cannabis remains legal in Thailand!

How is/was the cup in Barcelona this year? I mention Amsterdam because it is more travel friendly for Nordic countries.
Insane process to bring any animal back. 3 month quarantine and upto $7K USD.

Smeden

Insane process to bring any animal back. 3 month quarantine and upto $7K USD.
Are we talking about IC420 or bringing dogs in/out of Thailand?
Unless it is Snoop Dog or you, I don't think it has anything to do with a possible IC420 cup in Thailand?

Loc Dog

Veteran
Are we talking about IC420 or bringing dogs in/out of Thailand?
Unless it is Snoop Dog or you, I don't think it has anything to do with a possible IC420 cup in Thailand?
Bringing dog back. Big problem there people dumping dogs.

Smeden

Bringing dog back. Big problem there people dumping dogs.
We have 5 dogs, I love dogs, but I dont need to bring them to EU for a IC420 cup.

Back on topic - I think it would be amazing if ICMAG could do a intercontinental cup including Asia for the first time ever. Why not? if Cannabis remains legal in the 3 locations chosen?

Mattbho

Heya Hoypare - that's interesting - already someone has organised a cannabis competition - which is news to me - can you give us some more details of where and when this event took place?

- Currently I am up north in Chaing Mai - and this city is not a good place to put on a cannabis cup - at this time of year - today the temperature is peaking at 40C - and the smog from all the agricultural burning - combined with the humidity is stifling - its twice as bad as New Delhi -
Ouch real feel is at 44c

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Has sure been hot-hot-hot here - real feel 40C and above - went for a long walk yesterday - down from the villa - to the beach - and along the beach - where the small braking waves fan out over the clean sand - all the way to where the fishermen keep their boats - and then up into the little village - to buy some cold-cold coconut water - to quench my thirst - at a little 7/11 store - wore my Tilly wide brimmed hat - and long sleeved/light fishing shirt - which was soaked with sweat - by the time I had walked back to the resort - my back-pack loaded with 8 small bottles of coco-water - plus a one litre bottle - while in the village a local fella tried to sell me some raggedy looking locally grown 'erb for 450 baht per gram - from his shop - but I declined the offer - since I have some much nicer 'erb now - courtesy of an ICMAG member - who lives and grows here - thanks mate (if you are reading this) -