What's new

2024 ICMAG Growers and Breeders Cup - in Bangkok Thailand - your thoughts please -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Currently I am in Bangkok Thailand for this month - and due to cannabis flowers being completely legal to grow and show now - combined with the huge proliferation of new cannabis shops - which are evident and everywhere - I thought that it would be a great idea to present next years cup here - already I have found an organiser who is willing to help develop the idea - over the coming year - it would only be legal to show cannabis flower - since concentrates (hash etc) are not legal to do so -

Smeden

Great idea, but 2 "but's":
1. Coming election will most likely produce more restrictions (which I think is needed) - ie. selling to persons under 20 years of age + Cannabis smell should never be a nuisance in the streets of Bangkok, Pattaya or any larger city in Thailand. Enjoy it with respect and not in a place where others can get offended.
2. Import of Cannabis is illegal as of now. Though most of the prima buds sold origins from US/Cali... = there might be a solution to this within the next 2-3 months.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Well - it's still in the formative stages - as an idea/pipe dream - and so I welcome all of your responses - a friend suggested that we just keep it among the bud/coffeshops in Bangkok - and see if we can get them interested to enter for a coffeeshop cup - but then I thought - what about the small local growers - that might like to enter? - and also - maybe there are people/groups who are breeding - and making seeds in Thailand - perhaps they would like to enter too -

Entries sent in from abroad to Thailand may encounter postal/customs problems - if discovered - but we have had to deal with that in the past - when putting on the event in Amsterdam or Barcelona - of course it could be risky - but how risky? - I guess that you wouldn't know - until it was tried -

Lugo

Veteran
That would be interesting, I wonder what the categories would/should be for a cup out there? Considering the recent influx of foreigners and their genetics and the sheer amount and variety of off the wall Cannabis being grown it might be a tricky business. Nevermind quality controls against molds and other pests (which I can imagine being a problem with so many folks growing 'indicas' and 'indica' hybrids in that high humidity enviornment) also wether or not the flowers are grown organically is another thing (which I doubt is being done in the big grows but possibly is out in the smaller country farms) and I also wonder if there would be room (or even relevance by then) for traditional and classic Thai landrace Cannabis varieties which seems to sadly be of little importance in the current climate. It would definetely be a heck of an endeavor thats for sure!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Hmmm - yes - I am excited about the idea of putting on a 4/20 cup in Thailand - it is a concern though as to whether or not I will be fit enough to get it all together personally - since I am what you might call ' walking wounded' at the moment - and am in need of heart surgery - due to a leaking Mitral valve - and that could conflict with any plans I might make - to present the 4/20 Cup in Thailand - this can be explained to the Thai fella - that is interested in organizing it here - so I wouldn't have to be so 'hands on' - and hopefully I can attend - without having to organise it from some hospital bed - with all the related stress that might entail -

velorex

i was in pattaya in desember/january. mentioned the idea of a cup for a mate that runs a shop there, he was very keen on the idea. i think he's kinda working on a cup for thai growers and shops. if the next election doesn't shut down recrational, having a future 4/20 cup there would be awsome. as someone mentioned, concentrates (including hash) is illegal there. but so is any import, never stopped a cup before.

Great idea, but 2 "but's":
1. Coming election will most likely produce more restrictions (which I think is needed) - ie. selling to persons under 20 years of age + Cannabis smell should never be a nuisance in the streets of Bangkok, Pattaya or any larger city in Thailand. Enjoy it with respect and not in a place where others can get offended.
2. Import of Cannabis is illegal as of now. Though most of the prima buds sold origins from US/Cali... = there might be a solution to this within the next 2-3 months.
Hi importing buds in Thailand when they can make them so cheap ?
Sounds to me very crazy since is illegal to do so and so much more expensive. Plus cali type of commercial flower is low quality if you compare them with the Spanish flowers.
Hard to find good medicine if the right culture is not there :).

Thai people have long tradition in growing the plant before even US/Cali knew what is all about.
There indoor growing culture also existed before legalization and Was always a hippy destination

Cannabis smell cant be discriminated but the burning of cannabis or nicotine is the same and needs to be restricted I agree.

The Cannabis cup I believe is a great Idea @Gypsy Nirvana.

But First I wish you a good and quick recovery Mate !

I also say you should trust the young generation and put some one do the job and organise the Cup for you . Give some one his chances !!!You have talented people around you for sure.
You no need to stress in this conditions but relax and put us do the work hahahaha
I wish you quick recovery
I have already a good candidate from Khaolak to suggest you.

-SaveTheBrains

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cracking idea we just came back recently and as usual a month of this and that is good for the soul.
Hope you enjoy your trip Gypsy :good: i did ,:biggrin:. We are back in the next 6 months or so again cannot wait.
Pattaya my second home love it :bump:
Hoypare look forward to seeing them photos :thank you:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Best of luck with the heart.

As for the cup, it's just getting further and further out of the reach of British growers. Amsterdam great, 45 min cheap flight, Spain eesh, dodgey water, forget blood supplies, dodgey cops looking for bribes, but still cheap, thailand ? Don't you need special injections to go there? How long a flight? How much? What are the jail's like? It's going from a dream to one day go, to not even that.
I really don't want to piss on your chips here mate, and do wish you luck with it, but for a British site to hold its annual cup on the other side of the world seems odd.
Where are the underground UK cups? I got invited one year and turned it down, I've been off the list since. ☹️

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Heya GMT - yes it is a long way to travel to Thailand from the west - since it is in the far east - but I always found that it was well worth the cost and travel time to get here - ever since first visiting way back in 1983 - 40 years ago - and I have never had any injections specifically for a Thai visit/vacation myself - although I recommend using bug/mosquito repellent cream/spray - to keep them at bay - since they are around at dawn and dusk mainly - in this heat/humidity -

Having never been jailed here - I'm not able to comment on that from personal experience - but during my first couple of visits back in the 1980's - I did visit a couple of westerners who had been locked up for cannabis possession - way before it recently became legal - and brought them some coffee and snacks - after seeing a message on a guest house notice board - appealing for travellers to visit them - and back then it wasnt easy in jail for them - and I presume that it wouldn't be alot of fun to be inside there even today - losing your freedom - is never easy - wherever you are - but today the Thai authorities can't lock you up for cannabis possession - so that's not really something to worry about - any more -

Smeden

Hi importing buds in Thailand when they can make them so cheap ?
Sounds to me very crazy since is illegal to do so and so much more expensive. Plus cali type of commercial flower is low quality if you compare them with the Spanish flowers.
Hard to find good medicine if the right culture is not there :).

Thai people have long tradition in growing the plant before even US/Cali knew what is all about.
There indoor growing culture also existed before legalization and Was always a hippy destination
Crazy yes, but as soon as Cannabis was legalized there was many dispensaries ready and not enough Thai growers/products. It looks like it is changing now. The last 4 samples I bought in Pattaya 2 weeks ago is looking different = more elongated buds, airier buds/have not been vacuum packed. Prior to this the buds were what I will call professionally hydro grown + CO2 indoor = Super dense/compact/hard and round buds. Most of the dispensaries also confirmed all was import from US/Cali.

One of the 4 samples I bought in Pattaya.
1681357746556.png

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
You’re as strong as an ox gyp,you look in really good physical shape,hope the heart is ok.
My nephews friend just won a growers cup in a Thai cannabis cup,I will see if I can get a few photographs.
Heya Hoypare - that's interesting - already someone has organised a cannabis competition - which is news to me - can you give us some more details of where and when this event took place?

- Currently I am up north in Chaing Mai - and this city is not a good place to put on a cannabis cup - at this time of year - today the temperature is peaking at 40C - and the smog from all the agricultural burning - combined with the humidity is stifling - its twice as bad as New Delhi -

Hoypare.

Heya Hoypare - that's interesting - already someone has organised a cannabis competition - which is news to me - can you give us some more details of where and when this event took place?

- Currently I am up north in Chaing Mai - and this city is not a good place to put on a cannabis cup - at this time of year - today the temperature is peaking at 40C - and the smog from all the agricultural burning - combined with the humidity is stifling - its twice as bad as New Delhi -
It was organised by No man's land coffee shop in Bangkok Gyp, my nephews mate Heavy Candy won it.
IMG_20230413_185119.jpg
IMG_20230413_185150.jpg
IMG_20230413_185227.jpg

entropical

Veteran
Hmmm - yes - I am excited about the idea of putting on a 4/20 cup in Thailand - it is a concern though as to whether or not I will be fit enough to get it all together personally - since I am what you might call ' walking wounded' at the moment - and am in need of heart surgery - due to a leaking Mitral valve - and that could conflict with any plans I might make - to present the 4/20 Cup in Thailand - this can be explained to the Thai fella - that is interested in organizing it here - so I wouldn't have to be so 'hands on' - and hopefully I can attend - without having to organise it from some hospital bed - with all the related stress that might entail -
Best wishes to you and to your health. I haven’t been to Thailand for years but remember you could go from Chiang Mai to Pai, it was and should still be a nice and cozy place. As for the 4/20 Cup then I will suggest Pattaya as well and hope to see you there.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Smeden has suggested to me the idea of doing a double location cup for next year - one in Europe - the Dam or Barcelona - and one somewhere in Thailand - where in Thailand - I'm yet to decide - Patts (Pattaya) - is currently the front runner next to Bangkok -

Tomorrow I will fly down to Krabi in the south - on the Andaman Sea side of the Thai peninsula- to stay at the Pimalai resort on Koh Lanta for 2 weeks - and will have plenty of time to relax and ponder over the idea of presenting a 4/20 cup in Thailand - its great that all of you guys/gals are already helping me to cement what could turn out to be a great event next year - if we can put it all together within a year - your comments and suggestions are all very valuable to me - and help alot - so thanks to all who post on this thread - group thinking our way - to what could be the trip of a lifetime - to many of us -

Latest posts

Latest posts