What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

11 Reasons Why You Should Drink Coffee Every Day

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I'm just guessin' that he didn't bring
a hot thermos of tea out there.......

aaa2394_zpsdkchhsdv.jpg

sadpanda

I love iced coffee milk, but i hate caffeine and not keen on too much sugar! lol
so just this week ive started trying to make my own. Hopefully one of the granulated instant decaf's will provide a nice enough drink, and im hoping to end up using a lot of stevia and hopefully very little sugar. A little splash of vanilla syrup too! I've still got a long way to go though to perfecting the ratios etc though -- does anyone have a good iced coffee recipe? im after ones that are very simple to make

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love iced coffee milk, but i hate caffeine and not keen on too much sugar! lol
so just this week ive started trying to make my own. Hopefully one of the granulated instant decaf's will provide a nice enough drink, and im hoping to end up using a lot of stevia and hopefully very little sugar. A little splash of vanilla syrup too! I've still got a long way to go though to perfecting the ratios etc though -- does anyone have a good iced coffee recipe? im after ones that are very simple to make

one idea would be to brew your very favorite flavored cup of coffee, perhaps a tad on the strong side because blending it with ice will water it down :dunno:

once out of the blender you'll have to sample it and make note of any adjustments you'd like to make on the next one.

I've also heard that some folk swear by using 'chipped ice' whether by their own ice maker or purchased by the bag just for this purpose, chipped ice breaks down faster to the right consistency and so it also waters down your beverage less from the start.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like this doctor!!!

"What I tell patients is, if you like coffee, go ahead and drink as much as you want and can," says Dr. Peter Martin, director of the Institute for Coffee Studies at Vanderbilt University. He's even developed a metric for monitoring your dosage: If you are having trouble sleeping, cut back on your last cup of the day. From there, he says, "If you drink that much, it's not going to do you any harm, and it might actually help you. A lot."
....That there were no major differences in risk reduction between regular and decaf coffee suggests there's something in it, aside from its caffeine content, that could be contributing to these observed benefits. It also demonstrates that caffeine was in no way mitigating coffee's therapeutic effects. Of course, what we choose to add to coffee can just as easily negate the benefits -- various sugar-sweetened beverages were all significantly associated with an increased risk of diabetes. A learned taste for cream and sugar (made all the more enticing when they're designed to smell like seasonal celebrations) is likely one of the reasons why we associate coffee more with decadence than prudence.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...r-drinking-as-much-coffee-as-you-like/265693/

Attachments

• coffee.jpg
    coffee.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 21
  • R2D2.jpg
    R2D2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 20

MicroRoy

I brew a flavored coffee in a quart jar. Give it some head space.

One TBS coco
Three TBS sugar
One TBS vinila
Three TBS dark roasted coffee

I put that in the microwave for five minutes.

Put that n the fridge. The grounds settle to the bottom. When it is cool you can pour off the coffee without storing up the grounds.

I like to pour it over cold milk. About 25% milk 75% coffee.

At nearly 30 years old, I just started drinking coffee. My ma would always drink the shittiest instant crap, so for a long time I thought most coffee was like that and you had to drown out the bad flavors with sugar and milk. One of my buddies is a coffee snob and he turned me on to nicer stuff. There's some interesting minutiae regarding brewing and extraction if you want to get into it, similar to learning about various cannabinoids and terpenes, etc. Pleasant way to start the day!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

idk :dunno: I can't see it, but I'm pretty freakin' sure that there's a cup of java somewhere nearby that plate.......

aaa2427_zpsv7eqxegg.jpg

Betterhaff

Veteran

idk :dunno: I can't see it, but I'm pretty freakin' sure that there's a cup of java somewhere nearby that plate.......

View Image

lol, that reminds of a breakfast I got in an off the beatin’ path restaurant in Georgia. The menu was hilarious, each item was basically the same, 3 eggs, grits, hash browns, toast, with the differentiating item being the meat…how many and how much. And of course coffee.

sadpanda

OMG, THEY USE SOLVENTS TO MAKE DECAF COFFEE
lol, i dont know how others react to this but it was a shock to me! (i was wondering how they made decaf coffee)...
Solvents used in decaffeination

Given numerous health scares connected to early efforts in decaffeination using solvents such as benzene, trichloroethylene, and chloroform, the solvents of choice have become dichloromethane and ethyl acetate. Dichloromethane is able to extract the caffeine selectively and has a low boiling point. Although it is mildly toxic and carcinogenic, its use as a decaffeination agent is allowed by the US Food and Drug Administration if the residual solvent is less than 10 parts per million (ppm). Actual coffee industry practice results in residues closer to one part per million. Starting in the 1980s, ethyl acetate was introduced as a replacement to dichloromethane. Although ethyl acetate is mildly toxic, coffee that is decaffeinated with this solvent is sometimes marketed as "naturally decaffeinated" because this solvent may be obtained from a biological process such as the fermentation of sugar cane.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination#Decaffeination_processes_for_coffee

99%

Starbucks opened lots of outlets in Australia, but most failed as Aussies were introduced to real Italian coffee (made by Italian and other European immigrants in the 50's ~ 70's with Euro espresso machines) and were unable to drink those buckets of sugar and brown water that Starbucks tries to pass as coffee, their beans are low quality and stale. McDonalds Cafe coffee is about as good as Starbucks, which tells you just how horrid it really is.

If your coffee is bigger than a shot glass then you are aren't drinking coffee, you are drinking a coffee flavored drink...and I don't know when it became not ridiculous to walk around with a huge paper cup full of brown liquid sipping it on the go through a hole in a plastic lid...ssheessh!..there should be a law against that. In Italy there is actually an unwritten law that states you are not allowed to add milk to coffee after breakfast. You can order a coffee with a dash of milk after lunch, but you will have to apologize and ask for forgiveness from the barista for committing such a faux pas as you order to prevent your Mother being cursed for giving birth to such a tasteless idiot,,in many countries you would be regarded on the same level as one who was wearing long white socks with sandals.

If you have to drink a coffee at Starbucks, order a double espresso, that's about as real as you can get there.

anyway, I'm about to make myself a real coffee....Costa Rican beans, fresh ground, Bialetti stove top maker, ...hmmm 3 sips and it's gone.

Last edited:

Sforza

Veteran
Starbucks opened lots of outlets in Australia, but most failed as Aussies were introduced to real Italian coffee (made by Italian and other European immigrants in the 50's ~ 70's with Euro espresso machines) and were unable to drink those buckets of sugar and brown water that Starbucks tries to pass as coffee, their beans are low quality and stale. McDonalds Cafe coffee is about as good as Starbucks, which tells you just how horrid it really is.

If your coffee is bigger than a shot glass then you are aren't drinking coffee, you are drinking a coffee flavored drink...and I don't know when it became not ridiculous to walk around with a huge paper cup full of brown liquid sipping it on the go through a hole in a plastic lid...ssheessh!..there should be a law against that. In Italy there is actually an unwritten law that states you are not allowed to add milk to coffee after breakfast. You can order a coffee with a dash of milk after lunch, but you will have to apologize and ask for forgiveness from the barista for committing such a faux pas as you order to prevent your Mother being cursed for giving birth to such a tasteless idiot,,in many countries you would be regarded on the same level as one who was wearing long white socks with sandals.

If you have to drink a coffee at Starbucks, order a double espresso, that's about as real as you can get there.

anyway, I'm about to make myself a real coffee....Costa Rican beans, fresh ground, Bialetti stove top maker, ...hmmm 3 sips and it's gone.

I have never had a bad cup of java in Italy, that is true. Love the cafe con leche in the morning when I am in Colombia too. But I like Starbucks coffee too.

After many years of storing my coffee beans in the freezer and grinding them right before I put them in my home espresso unit, I switched to drinking instant Community Coffee from Baton Rouge, LA. Those Cajuns know good coffee too.

7-oz-Breakfast-Blend-Instant-Coffee@2x-579.png

Big old mug filled 3/4 with water for two minutes in the microwave, one heaping tablespoon of Community Instant, a shot of milk and we are good for the day.

I only drink coffee in the morning, so I always use milk and no sugar.

If I need a pick me up in the afternoon, I drink tea, because it doesn't keep me up at night like coffee does.

Latest posts

Latest posts