What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

100% male with feminized seeds?

mudballs

If you cant turn off reversal...maybe both have SRY and it's just turned off in the female...even more possible anecdotal evidence Y dont matter

mudballs

Cuz of gene expression and the self compatible monecious origin. That reversal gene i spoke of, remember? If that AND the SRY gene cant be removed from either sex chromosome, and are only turned off and on from plant to plant...that is our Standard Model scientifically speaking and we cant go further until we're in labs digging into DNA. You think on that more than if others are bothered by your presence

kendermag

I'm sure we've all read that the environment affects sexual expression, whether it's photoperiod, nitrogen levels, etc.

The studies by Schaffner and McPhi focus precisely on that... Longer light photoperiods promote masculinity and shorter photoperiods promote femininity.

If males could not show female habits, how do you explain why more "males" appear in long light photoperiods?

1724620610379.jpeg

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Post the study up, I'll find where their mistake was.

Cannazen, the answer to your confusion is this: both sexes carry the instruction sets for both sets of flowers in their autosome. However, in X:Y systems, female flowers are produced unless the male chromosome prevents it, and causes the male flowers to grow. In X:A systems, the plant inherits a varying number of male modifying genes. Depending on the number inherited , she may be entirely female flowers, partially female or entirely expressing male flowers, however she is still a she, as she has two X's and not 1Y as per the X:Y system of sex determination. Hope that helps a little.

CannaZen

I'm just happy we have seperate sex and we can find that in the plants too.

Cannazen, the answer to your confusion is this: both sexes carry the instruction sets for both sets of flowers in their autosome. However, in X:Y systems, female flowers are produced unless the male chromosome prevents it, and causes the male flowers to grow. In X:A systems, the plant inherits a varying number of male modifying genes. Depending on the number inherited , she may be entirely female flowers, partially female or entirely expressing male flowers, however she is still a she, as she has two X's and not 1Y as per the X:Y system of sex determination. Hope that helps a little.
Yes it does, got it. :)

kendermag

1 - THE INFLUENCE OF RELATIVE LENGTH OF DAYLIGHT ON THE REVERSAL OF SEX IN HEMP - JOHN H. SCHAFFNER

2 -The Influence of the Substratum on the Percentage of Sex Reversal in Winter grown Hemp - JOHN H. SCHAFFNER

I don't have time or energy to find these other writing on internet, I also recommend:

1724676385080.png

Before making any rulings, please read them with an open mind, and taking into account that they are documents that are more than 100 years old, they will have some errors, but their literature is still cited today...

Do you think the female:male ratio is always 50/50?

Sensi Seeds and some other banks talk about 65:35 or similar.
Sam says something similar about the ratios in Original Haze.
Much literature also talks about this.

How do you explain this?

kendermag

Sperm to egg ratio...pollen is uncountable, whereas ovules are less quantity
I would say that this is always the case... in mammals there are millions of spermatozoon against a single ovum... and the ratio is 50:50.

The probability does not come from there... XX x XY gives a 50/50

kendermag

I don't know the causes... But I think it is quite accepted that environmental factors affect sexual expression.

"Another factor that intervenes in sex modification is photoperiod, which has a masculinizing or
feminizing effects, depending on day duration, whereas a nitrogenous rich nutrition induces a more or less
phenotype masculinization (Arnoux, 1963, 1966, 1969)."

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256546647_Some_aspects_of_sex_determinism_in_hemp

This specific document ends with this sentence:

"The diversity of theories and of proofs found in their reasoning result from the fact that genotype
is not only the information placed on chromosomes, but also the information from various cell organelles
which contain nucleic acids. Consequently, to affirm that the sex is determined only by chromosomes or
only by environmental conditions constitutes, if not a total mistake, then at least a narrow, limited approach
of an extremely important biological phenomenon, with special implications for live world evolution.
Therefore, we consider that the sex, like to any other phenotype character, is a resultant of the flow of
hereditary information on genetic channel, but in concrete environment conditions and the hemp is a good
example in this direction."

I understand that the environment cannot change the DNA, and therefore the sexual genotype, but there must be a part of the individuals with instability, who allow this sexual plasticity in phenotype.

In the case of 65:35 (female:male) ratio, it only occurs to me to think that a part of the XY have this plasticity towards feminization.

Last edited: