What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

100% male with feminized seeds?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'll read the rest in a minute, but hit this first while catching up

Define post-modernism for the audience.

Let's see you define your terms or expose your nonsensical word salad and sophistry.
I swear I try to avoid sophistry unless using it in a metaphor. I include meat within all salads, and make no apology for serving it with a silver spoon. If anything fails to make sense, please consult a dictionary before assuming it contains non.
Now as for the off menu request, my personal definition of post modernism would be : that which seeks to replace the concept of Plato's forms, the absolute truth of a thing with more than Aristotle's categorisations, but to replace the concept of absolute truth itself. To turn knowledge into opinion, to turn fact into perspective. No more experts, it undermines scientific authority and turns it into another group with another opinion. It's a movement that seeks to unite the ignorant and dumb into one power faction, give them a common enemy, the ruling elite normally, but men, especially straight white men seem to be involved most of the time, and seek to reduce their power, ultimately to replace them.

It crops up when people seek to ignore the reality in favour of the appearance. To someone like me, post modernism is offensive. But each to their own.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran

However, _moron_ would _not_ be on that list, unless it's used by someone who doesn't have a fucking clue what they're discussing or is totally and helplessly ignorant of the history of cannabis development.
Ok, I guess I'll address this now,
When Nevil was doing his ducking and diving, there was no internet for everyday folk. Most of the papers we read now, weren't written back then. He didn't know what a hell of a lot of people know now. When you look at what he did, great, who's criticising that? But by today's standards, that pre-net pre-science for the masses days, level of knowledge, is naive. A naive level of knowledge being spouted as expertise, is moronic. Having the benefit of modern advances is quite the benefit and I'd like more to take advantage of them. It's annoying to read " well Nev said" or "DJ said" because no, we're beyond that now.

And er, as for the other thing, obviously I thought kopite wouldn't ever read that, damn. :pointlaug

Nspecta

Veteran
CSI Humboldts - Irene x Chem91 Male from feminized seeds. I initially thought it may have been a cross contamination of pollen but the variegated leaf fits the Chem profile. I may have to send in a sample for DNA testing.
Those were mistakenly labeled freebies....unfortunately....there was male contamination. It was the one time I tried breeding in tents in the same room. If memory serves, the male pollen that contaminated them was Durban Thai High Flyer. Apologies for the mixup.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those were mistakenly labeled freebies....unfortunately....there was male contamination. It was the one time I tried breeding in tents in the same room. If memory serves, the male pollen that contaminated them was Durban Thai High Flyer. Apologies for the mixup.
Good to see you hear posting , and for the record ( sincerely just interested to hear zero troll actions here) have you ever witnessed a full Male looking plant from your Feminized seeds or any of your close circle in any Feminized seeds you ever run, as you or your circle/Friends must of run through alot of Feminized seeds since making them.

Again I/we agree if tested would probably test as a hermaphrodite but these Males I talk about had no Female traits at all to the eye and prodcued only Regular Male/Female seeds no hermaphrodite or only Females

BloomBoss

Hi, I am posting this message because I have just come across a real male with feminized seeds by surprise and I would like to know if it is viable to be used to make seeds, what would happen? Will I have regular seeds or will they be feminized? Because two females give exclusively female offspring but the 1% chance of having a male remains very rare... and is it special? I have trouble understanding how with female chromosomes I can have a male, is it a pure male? It’s such a shame, I’m giving all my hope to this plant, it’s magnificent and growing super fast, I really wanted to keep it for its spectacular growth.

(it's a real male and not a hermaphrodite, no pistil, only male organs for pre-flowers)
That’s a rare find! 🌿 A true male from feminized seeds can indeed produce regular seeds, not just feminized ones. If you use it for breeding, expect a mix of male and female offspring. It’s a unique opportunity to explore plant genetics further. Good luck with your grow!

I Care

Know I have zero legend status as far as anything goes. This title caught my eye cause I was just pondering this recently. I got the answer for my own experience, BUT.

Is it possible that, with the methods of reversal, a mistake would be made where a male was reversed to female and (mistakenly) selected for a feminized seed?

zaprjaques

da boveda kid
Know I have zero legend status as far as anything goes. This title caught my eye cause I was just pondering this recently. I got the answer for my own experience, BUT.

Is it possible that, with the methods of reversal, a mistake would be made where a male was reversed to female and (mistakenly) selected for a feminized seed?
hello,
theres different chemicals that reverse females and males so the answer is probably no.
most popular for female reversing is silver thiosulfate, STS and for male reversal Ethephon aka 2-chloroethylphosphonic acid is beeing used.

kendermag

This is some interesting info, did they DNA test the male from the Critical Bilbo S1 seeds? I know two XX should logiacally produce only XX progeny but I don't discard the possibility of a genetic mutation created by the need to reproduce. I don't have enough knowledge in biology to expand just a thought.
No DNA test was done.

Obviously XX x XX in theory gives 100% of XX.

But in theory XX x XY gives 50% of XX, and it is more than proven that this is not always the case. There is a lot of literature on this matter that addresses these inconsistencies. SAM himself says that Original Haze produces 60-70% females, if I remember correctly.

Many will think that this 10-20% difference refers to intersexual plants, but I don't think that is the explanation.
I think that a pure XY system is not a real approximation, and neither is the X:A ratio. I think there must be something else that we don't know about at the moment. The debate about the sex determination in cannabis has been going on for almost 100 years, and it still continues

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
That's because we still debate as if it's one species. We need to accept that rules are different for XY and XA. What's possible for XA isn't in XY and vice versa. Then we can talk about hybrids.

kendermag

That's because we still debate as if it's one species. We need to accept that rules are different for XY and XA. What's possible for XA isn't in XY and vice versa. Then we can talk about hybrids.
I agree GMT.
The XA system ignores the function of the Y chromosome, even if it exists, although I think it is still too simple to explain what happens…

Other models have been proposed, with some variations. Hoffmann considers that forms can be derivable from male, being XY or even XX. Also that there are different XY types, because their crossing with a dioecious female gives in descendance only 28 - 36% male individuals, not 50% as were expected.

Panfil, supposes the existence of an allele series of sex factors (F) of different intensities.
Similarly, others propose different doses, XX, Xx, xx, XY, xY…

Others propose a polygenic trait, in which the male marker may or may not be on the Y chromosome, depending on the variety.

Others also propose that it is not about the sex chromosomes, but rather the genes that control growth regulators.

And others suggest that not only the expression, but the determination can be influenced by enviroment conditions.

It is so complex in this plant that it is possible that there is not even a model that works for all strains.

IC GLASS

Hi, I am posting this message because I have just come across a real male with feminized seeds by surprise and I would like to know if it is viable to be used to make seeds, what would happen? Will I have regular seeds or will they be feminized? Because two females give exclusively female offspring but the 1% chance of having a male remains very rare... and is it special? I have trouble understanding how with female chromosomes I can have a male, is it a pure male? It’s such a shame, I’m giving all my hope to this plant, it’s magnificent and growing super fast, I really wanted to keep it for its spectacular growth.

(it's a real male and not a hermaphrodite, no pistil, only male organs for pre-flowers)
If you've found a true male plant among feminized seeds, it can indeed be used to produce seeds. However, the offspring will generally be a mix of both male and female plants. The presence of a true male in feminized genetics is rare but not impossible, and it's intriguing for breeding. You’ll need to decide if you want to use this male for breeding purposes to create a diverse seed batch or if you prefer to focus on your current plant’s growth.

PetePrice

If you've found a true male plant among feminized seeds, it can indeed be used to produce seeds. However, the offspring will generally be a mix of both male and female plants. The presence of a true male in feminized genetics is rare but not impossible, and it's intriguing for breeding. You’ll need to decide if you want to use this male for breeding purposes to create a diverse seed batch or if you prefer to focus on your current plant’s growth.

It isn't a true male without contamination, it may look like a "true" male and act like one but it isn't one. How can it be one? Explain? How does it become XY?

Reactions: GMT

kro-magnon

Veteran
I agree GMT.
The XA system ignores the function of the Y chromosome, even if it exists, although I think it is still too simple to explain what happens…

Other models have been proposed, with some variations. Hoffmann considers that forms can be derivable from male, being XY or even XX. Also that there are different XY types, because their crossing with a dioecious female gives in descendance only 28 - 36% male individuals, not 50% as were expected.

Panfil, supposes the existence of an allele series of sex factors (F) of different intensities.
Similarly, others propose different doses, XX, Xx, xx, XY, xY…

Others propose a polygenic trait, in which the male marker may or may not be on the Y chromosome, depending on the variety.

Others also propose that it is not about the sex chromosomes, but rather the genes that control growth regulators.

And others suggest that not only the expression, but the determination can be influenced by enviroment conditions.

It is so complex in this plant that it is possible that there is not even a model that works for all strains.
thanks for this post, very informative and clear to read for a profane in a foreign language.

igrowone

Veteran
It isn't a true male without contamination, it may look like a "true" male and act like one but it isn't one. How can it be one? Explain? How does it become XY?
if it looks and acts like a male it's tough to call it anything but a male
that implies the simple XY model may need a few tweaks, or there's something lacking in the cannabis genetic testing
maybe a little of both

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Can we compromise?

Can we call them male P and male G?

Phenotype: walks, quacks and looks like a male, it's male P
Genotype: if it has a male chromosome ie. a Y, it's a male G.

If we can say :
You can get male Ps from feminised seeds, but not male Gs,

Then we can all go home for tea

Latest posts

Latest posts