What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Nighttime question: Is there a possibility that some of the seeds sold as original haze in the 80s and 90s are actually other long-flowering sativas sold as haze? A bit like certain hybrids sold as landrace ...

G

Nighttime question: Is there a possibility that some of the seeds sold as original haze in the 80s and 90s are actually other long-flowering sativas sold as haze? A bit like certain hybrids sold as landrace ...

I would imagine theres a high probability of that mate,:tiphat:

Spaventa

Veteran
Personally, I regard incense aroma as the defining characteristic of haze. If a Sativa has the incense aroma when it burns, it’s haze to me. If it doesn’t, it’s just a Sativa.

JohnnyChicago

Those making hybrids using Original Haze or THH, have you found that you get faster flowering hybrids using haze as the mother plant as opposed to using haze as the pollen donor? I used haze as the father for several hybrids in hopes of harnesting some of that famous hybrid vigour. The only cross where haze (Indian) was the mother is looking a lot faster flowering than the others. Can't make too many assumptions based on one cross only, so any similar experiences?

I don't have enough experience with Original Hazes as motherplant to give you an answer. But from what I have seen in my own crosses, but also on forums, Seedsman/TFD Original Haze males seem to be more dominating in crosses than females and this could explain the longer flowering times.

JohnnyChicago

We should send samples of THH and Seedsman Haze for dna testing. If there is a volunteer who want to do it, I can send him samples of Seedsman Haze and THH samples should be easy to find too. :)

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Positronic's Haze was not pure. I remember reading an interview where it was stated it is a selection of a (Early?) Durban x Haze cross.
TFD and SM Haze (both probably from SamS) had the incense smell, a little bit of woody (sandalwood) smell and a very faint lemony component. Sometimes I thought it had a bit of carrot smell too.
Haze (in veg.) was not a strong smelling plant, even a bit hay-ish.

I had to dig up this comment from page 135 that I found thought provoking. I'm not saying it's true, I never grew Positronics haze but Durban would explain the colors, shorter flowering time and the lack of incense.

What comes to the incense smell.. I have no idea what that is :laughing: I'm quite happy growing piny, fruity Original Hazes and what ever smells might pop up in hybrids. I guess it's a generational thing, I never experienced these smells so it's not anything that I would long for. It's all about the effect for me.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Another quote from page 120. By SamS I assume.

Id just like to add two quotes to your collective of quotes to ponder on

[QUOTE]"All of the S Indian and Thai crosses were toward the end of Haze production. Not only males were used for crosses. The 3 year timeline was just someones dream , Haze was grown for over 10years by the haze bros [/b], Sacred seeds tried to stabilize Haze with mixed results.The quality dropped considerably.The problem is that the best Hazes were F1s Hybrids , and Haze stabilization can not be done without a loss of vigor.
Also I never chose males for hybrids, you do not know how good they are or their ability to contribute to a new hybrid. I use haze females , and I do have a few Haze males that I selected from hundreds of males , after testing their progeny first. But it is a lot of work and beyond most closet breeders. The progenys growouts involved thousands of plants. Just to determine the best haze male to use for Hybrids"

1luvbigherb[/quote]

Tom Hill's haze has been worked on and inbred considerably. Why didn't it run out of vigour? Numbers and careful selection or fresh genes?

bigherb

Veteran
Another quote from page 120. By SamS I assume.

1luvbigherb

Tom Hill's haze has been worked on and inbred considerably. Why didn't it run out of vigour? Numbers and careful selection or fresh genes?[/QUOTE]

Another old post of Sams that sheds light and adds confusion because he contradicts his recent post .

Interesting question reguarding THH . I think Toms a dick but I don’t believe his Haze has Indica / BLD Genetics. Only Sams can answer these questions if he even recalls specifics . But Sams mentions the available Hazes are from his genetics from 76 might explain something

THH sexed around the time as a Colombian Gold early September NYC . But she was much lighter then the lumbo and seems a lighter green than seedsman haze and tfd Haze .

Regarding Thai or lumbo expression in THH . Hazylady had become quite familiar with his line and referred to one plant as lumbo aka Incense type and a root beer pheno . There are Incense reports not Frankincense but Incense in THH

Happy to see my Haze brothers passion still exists

1luvbigherb

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
you are right big herb, I sent to my friend, member blan-k-flor, seeds I made using THH plants, and he is grower of seedman haze too. he said its the same, only THH is less sweet. I dont think he is lying LOL here is his THH
picture.php

archaicatoms

Do you have pictures? My Original Hazes have all had green stems with red stripes on them, quite uniform.

What we've been wondering on the forums is where all the colorful expressions are. Seedman's Orginal Haze afaik is all about the green phenotypes. Anyone got pictures of a purple Ohaze?

I had two all purple Tom Hill's Haze out of 9 females. A few got purple tipped calyxs. Sorry, my camera is old and outdated. They had a cat spray aroma (that male cats do when marking their territory) at first whiffs. As you smell closer you get all of the haze nuances mentioned throughout the thread. Including chocolate, and maybe some lavender in the purple phenos. Lots of spearmint in stem rubs before flowering. Nuances include Nutmeg, hints of vanilla, eucalyptus, Yuzu,lime, grass, cinnamon,hay, radish,and sweet musky mango.

P.S. They were not all strong growers. One of the purple plants that I saved in clone form is one of the slower vegers I've seen, weird little dwarf mutant. There might be some inbred depression. Definitely got slow growers and mutants!

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 35

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
so other myth about THH being too vigorous for inbred line broken.. thanks archaicatoms. so much bullshit around THH, especially from those who heard it.. I dont understand why so many growers would report incense in THH, if there is no incense :D look at huge difference beetween THH and seedsman haze :D

tom hill OH by MAHA KALA

picture.php

seedsman haze by blan-k-flor

Burt

Veteran
Sam cannot recall specifics cause he isn’t the breeder
That’s the logical conclusion here and makes sensimillia to me
I love the intrigue as much as the next wook though so I’ll keep on keeping on

herbgreen

Veteran
Quote:
'Haze 19 was grown by me, I just numbered my Haze seedlings 1-1000, #19 is what they were interested in, If I remember correctly they used seeds from Haze 19 to make their line, I don't think it was a Haze 19 clone I gave them....'
-SamS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyClouds View Post
'I have a haze question that's really for haze afficinados in general... What traits did the original haze #19 have that it was selected for? Was it stouter, stronger, smellier, colorful, ect... I've done multitudes of searches, read alot, not sure how much is conjecture and how much is fact. Basically, why was the 19th plant out of however many plants were grown, chosen?

Figured if somebody out there knows, or could direct me to places that I could research myself, this would be the place to ask.

P.S. ~ I've read this entire thread before, and Sam S. specifically said the haze #19 was a wernard/positronic selection, I believe.

Thanks for any and all help!'

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82182&highlight=hill&page=115

Tom hill haze is haze 19

The haze in tomhill haze has alot of phenos including purple

The TFD and seedsman are.... green and green

I think they are different plants for sure

tom hill vs seedsman......flowering plants side by side grown by blan-k-flor... post#1198

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82182&highlight=hill&page=120

blan-k-flor compares tom haze and seedsman haze....post #1219

'THH is a lot faster, with bigger trichomes and a lot more compact buds, also she gives more yield. Seedsman haze is from a repro a friend of mine did some years ago and i kept few beans. She is very slow flowering with fluffy buds and tiny trichs. I must tell you that i like far more Seedsman haze in taste and effect than THH, but both are great!'
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82182&highlight=hill&page=122

TFD and Seedsman probably line bred into the green....or received them that way....They may have bred to the Lime Green

But I dont even think TDF and seedsman are exactly the same plant

All of tom hills posts except for little quotes are gone. His whole persona is gone from here

It would be cool if the threads of his were archived and all the pics ect got saved

Tom Hill Haze is one of Sams plants picked by Wernard @positronics and then Tom Hill kept the open pollination going

One out of A Thousand......has to be unique....right? :biggrin:

Chimera knows both these guys or Sam could answer but that's the story as close as i can get it.

Its all Originalhaze from Sam if thats some question but you can read and read about whether this or that is being found but people are finding all sorts of things in the Tom haze I hope you save

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Quote:
'Haze 19 was grown by me, I just numbered my Haze seedlings 1-1000, #19 is what they were interested in, If I remember correctly they used seeds from Haze 19 to make their line, I don't think it was a Haze 19 clone I gave them....'
-SamS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyClouds View Post
'I have a haze question that's really for haze afficinados in general... What traits did the original haze #19 have that it was selected for? Was it stouter, stronger, smellier, colorful, ect... I've done multitudes of searches, read alot, not sure how much is conjecture and how much is fact. Basically, why was the 19th plant out of however many plants were grown, chosen?

Figured if somebody out there knows, or could direct me to places that I could research myself, this would be the place to ask.

P.S. ~ I've read this entire thread before, and Sam S. specifically said the haze #19 was a wernard/positronic selection, I believe.

Thanks for any and all help!'

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=82182&highlight=hill&page=115

Tom hill haze is haze 19

Wait, if Positronic's haze comes from a single Haze #19 clone chosen by Wernard.. Who was the father?

herbgreen

Veteran
Wait, if Positronic's haze comes from a single Haze #19 clone chosen by Wernard.. Who was the father?

Not a clone

seeds

Quote:
-SamS

yeah, I had wondered about that if they picked a seedling but it was seeds that went with it apparently.....

JohnnyChicago

They probably had the same father in 1986 when Wernard got the seeds of the Haze#19. And Tom Hill bought his seeds in 1997 from the Positronics shop.

Nobody knows what and how many selection Sam did since 1986 and I assume that Werner and TH did their own selections. So saying that 33 years and X generations later, they are still the same sounds a bit exagerated to me. But it's just an opinion.

I dont understand why so many growers would report incense in THH, if there is no incense look at huge difference beetween THH and seedsman haze

We are just reporting what the breeder Tom Hill, said on the incense trait of his haze. Not more and not less!

Seedsman and THH phenos.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: