What's new

Pro Mix soil is not organic

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
mad - I got your joke right away. Zing!
Canna - I'm with you, once my bale of Pro Mix BX is all used up I won't buy it again...however after reading the "The re-use of our soil" thread in the Organic Soil section a few months back I'm hoping that amending with molasses, dolomite lime and compost will let me keep the same soil going indefinitely...

Theres no reason your soil shouldnt last you. I love recycling my soil! It looks much better than the soil i started with and i think thats the beauty of organics. It only get better along the way especially with things such as guano's and rock dusts. I haven't vought any soil since than, and i hold onto like a child. People must have thought I was crazy when i brought a big rubbermaid full of soil strapped into my truck.

somethings are just to beautiful to waste. To me this is almost like a great compost.

Zendo

You seem awful worried. Do you realize how your FFOF got into that bag marked 'organic'? I would consider promix with the lil bit of wetting agent and perlite FAR more organic than FFOF.

That's just my 2 pennies. Gonna go pee on my compost pile.

You seem awful worried. Do you realize how your FFOF got into that bag marked 'organic'? I would consider promix with the lil bit of wetting agent and perlite FAR more organic than FFOF.

That's just my 2 pennies. Gonna go pee on my compost pile.

Yes friend, I do realize, and that is why I stated that I was trying to move away from that product , to a more ideal product. I was thinking that Pro Mix was going to be it for me, but it's not..

I'm not going to just dump the FF soil that I purchased out in the garbage, nor am I going to throw away the Pro Mix bale I opened, or the mix that has been cooking for a month..This is the last of my FF,and then I'll use the 3.8 bale, and be done with them..I'm sorry me posting that Pro Mix isn't organic has you so upset.

I've received multiple emails and pms from people saying that they don't use it for the same reason, and others in appreciation for pointing it out, as they would not use for the same reason.

you and I clearly agree to disagree on things, and that is fine with me.

My goal was to let others who may care know that what they are purchasing may not be what they think/want.

Hopefully I was as successful at reaching those people, as I was reaching those who don't.

Zendo

I think that if you want to get a complete organic mix you should just make it yourself. I picked up a bag of OMRI listed Canadian sphagnum moss for $10 a bale. I mix in all my organic amendments which is what secondtry uses. There's no reason to stop buying ProMix, for many people its time tested and works. Personally i like mixing my own soil mixes.

Also as said earlier the great thing about chemical ferts is their ability to be flushed. If you don't like it just flush it.

If you worried about becoming a victim, i suggest you stay away from organics in the first place. guano's are full of micro's which if get into a cut will get infected if not taken care of. Ingesting rock dust, just by breathing it in can bring silica dusts into your system. Your worried about a certain product when its not organic, however organics alone which don't belong in your body and have a much easier time getting it there than chems.

I do plan to make my own mixes from now on, I agree it's the way to go. I've already made that future mix, and will do it as soon as my non organic promix runs out..:whistling:

There is a reason for ME to stop buying pro mix, for you there isn't.
I'm not worried about anything.I wear a mask when I mix soil.I understand that organics can kill you as well, and I don't need an breakdown on how drinking too much water too fast will kill you..

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I do plan to make my own mixes from now on, I agree it's the way to go. I've already made that future mix, and will do it as soon as my non organic promix runs out..:whistling:

There is a reason for ME to stop buying pro mix, for you there isn't.
I'm not worried about anything.I wear a mask when I mix soil.I understand that organics can kill you as well, and I don't need an breakdown on how drinking too much water too fast will kill you..

I actually don't buy pro mix but i was just stating how I feel.

The reason i posted the stuff about health concerns is you stated that you didn't want to use any products stating the health concerns blah blah and becoming a victim. Make up your mind guyyyyyyy haha

Just because its non-organic now, doesn't mean it will never be organic which is why i say theres no reason to stop buying it. Flush the bale and let it sit outside for a while, good to go....

Who said anything about drinking water and killing you? Must be drinking some nasty water over there, probably non-organic also.:comfort:

I'm just pulling your leg, i guess all these people really hurt your feelings:ying:

mad librettist

Veteran
hey, now big ballin, easy.

Zendo, the problem is simply that we can't read your face, so the only info we get is your words. And you came on strong at the top. So now you are stuck in this thread and it's like a feedback loop. sucks I know, believe me.

But don't sweat it. I get your point and appreciate you making it. But maybe you should have asked for a disclaimer, not commanded the removal of pro-mix from the recipe.

I will point out though, that if you want to know what is in your mix, don't buy a mix.

Zendo

hey, now big ballin, easy.

Zendo, the problem is simply that we can't read your face, so the only info we get is your words. And you came on strong at the top. So now you are stuck in this thread and it's like a feedback loop. sucks I know, believe me.

But don't sweat it. I get your point and appreciate you making it. But maybe you should have asked for a disclaimer, not commanded the removal of pro-mix from the recipe.

I will point out though, that if you want to know what is in your mix, don't buy a mix.

Brother, you don't even know..

That's why I rescinded my statement a few posts later, and apologized. I was going to edit it out of first post, but I said the words, I regretted them, and I apologized for them, like a man should. I was pretty mad when I posted, but it was anger solely at myself, for not being pro-active and digging into this before buying. I am in the process of making my own mix, and I'll be over this forever.

I don't think I'm going to visit this evil thread I started anymore, there is too much going on around here IRL! The bright orb in the sky is back in the mid-west, and I've got BIM, EM, Bokashi and worms on my mind.Plus i'm working on a DIY picture update for the bokashi thread..;)

Peace.:joint:

DARC MIND

Veteran
don't sweat it. I get your point and appreciate you making it. But maybe you should have asked for a disclaimer, not commanded the removal of pro-mix from the recipe.

right on madL
i started making my soil my second grow, Burn1 and LC much thanks!!!
now im using coco and top soil from the woods instead of peat, and the only bag of soil i used to grow in was some brand i found at big K,the one BOG used in his easy tutorials.
worked well but LC mix blew it out of the water with the same amendments. blood and bone..
all i need is to find a local supply of rice hulls and i wont be using vermiculite or perlite any more.. composted red wood chips dont seem to work as well as perlite and vermiculite..and my garden and compost is using all my char

oh and thanks zendo, I wont point any organic heads to pro mix any more
I hear roots, is pretty good

NUG-JUG

I happen to think it's organic if you treat the grow like an organism greater than the sum of its parts, cared for accordingly.

Exactly, our world is too full of chemicals to get too anal about organics. Although I agree with Zendo that it's not wise to use a product that isn't organic when an alternative is. I love Sunshine 4 with myc, and the fungus gnats don't matter with an active herd. I hope to get off the peat train too one day but good compost takes time..

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bravissimo Zendo! I was wondering when someone was going to point this out. Using sphagnum peat moss, some kind of aerating pieces (perilite or...) and worm castings or compost is better n' cheaper. Of course as a natural growing fanatic, I don't consider it organic until the soil has been alive for a couple of years.

D

danimal7

I'm all for organic....but shit can get carried away, and most people dont even know why they are growing organic . they only know its better ....but cant really tell you how, other than they may say it taste better ....

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
A lot of people seem to assume that organic growers grow using organic methods for the same reasons they eat organic foods. For me, eating/smoking clean is a bonus, but I grow in living soil because it's easy and inexpensive and the results are at least as good as anything grown with soluble nutrients. Two things I don't have a lot of are time and money.

Not growing in products containing synthetic nutrients isn't a matter of nitpicking or being an uber-organic-nazi. It's just that, given the choice between that option and one that's organic, I'm reaching for the organic option. If you don't have the option or the inclination, then grow in whatever you want to grow in.

Thanks to Zendo for sharing the information.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Yeah Digan,I'm in it for the fact that I want to keep my body as free of crap as can be. This is not always easy or economical. Other reasons just seem to tag along and fit into this lifestyle choice(because it is a choice),like having a lower environmental impact by not using chemicals,It is cheaper in the long run,and things like the fact that the overall quality of the product is notably better.

If a grower can't afford(or doesn't have the option) to purchase some of these items needed to have the organic garden of his desire,then settling for second best is an option. For me it took a while to get to my own "anal" organic status. I admit it,I want the best I think I can get,and I still have a lot of learning to do. Then again we could come back to the whole"what is real organics"debate again. Point being for my 2 cents here, is that someone has the will to grow organic herb,then they will pursue that desire in whatever manner they deem fit. We should be encouraging anyone interested for sure. PEACE

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I find organic growing as i practice it to be very economical.
After the initial start up for a beginner who isn't familiar with the trip we are on. Hell yeah it's cheap once you get going and learn about recycling soil. There's a little difference in consuming organic products from the manufacturer and keeping living soil. I went into Whole Foods a while back and came out with two bags of groceries that cost close to $200,where I could have went to Safeway and got 20 bags of crap. It was my choice to buy what I did and pay the price for those products. I try to stay away from big chains like that. I'd rather,and I do hit the Farmers Markets,Co-op's,and grow my own.
I would say that the initial start up costs of organic gardening compared to chemical gardening would be cheaper,I just have not bought chemicals in ages....so I'm clueless about what prices they are charging now.

mad librettist

Veteran
you know, there are lists of veggies that are safer to have organic, and others where it's not a big deal (health-wise only). I try to prioritize at the store.

Whole foods- i find their practices questionable.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
you know, there are lists of veggies that are safer to have organic, and others where it's not a big deal (health-wise only). I try to prioritize at the store.

Whole foods- i find their practices questionable.
I have that list somewhere....

NUG-JUG

I have that list somewhere....

It's the dirty dozen.http://www.organic.org/articles/showarticle/article-214

Whether you are on a budget and need to prioritize your organic purchases, or you would simply like to know which type of produce has the highest pesticide residues—and which do not—the following guide from the Environmental Working Group will help.

12 Most Contaminated

• Peaches
  • Apples
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Celery
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Grapes (Imported)
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes

12 Least Contaminated

• Onions
  • Avocado
  • Sweet Corn (Frozen)
  • Pineapples
  • Mango
  • Asparagus
  • Sweet Peas (Frozen)
  • Kiwi Fruit
  • Bananas
  • Cabbage
  • Broccoli
  • Papaya

S

schwagg

HD sells 2.2 cuft bales of Lakeland OMRI listed soil. i wanna say peat, coco, dolomite, and perlite. 13 bucks

could be a decent substitute

Latest posts

Latest posts