What's new

Pro Mix soil is not organic

Zendo

HD sells 2.2 cuft bales of Lakeland OMRI listed soil. i wanna say peat, coco, dolomite, and perlite. 13 bucks

could be a decent substitute

I've been using one of the products from Sun Gro's OMRI organic page at http://www.sungro.com/products_omri.php

It's the Sunshine Growers Natural and Organic.

I can tell you that from using it, and getting up to my elbows with mixing it, it's a nice dark, moist, good smelling and feeling soil.

I've convinced a local nursery to start carrying this, so I'll have a supply if needed for new plants. I plan to recycle this for the current batch.

+rep to CC for the solid recommendation.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Actually 'Lakeland' is a product from Sun Gro Horticulture (Sunshine Mixes, Black Gold, et al). I've found it at the local HomeDepot stores - it's a very fine product if one wanted to really 'mix their own soil' from the bottom up.

HTH

CC

S

schwagg

i'm glad to hear that CC. i have some sitting with some dr earth in it. i'm curious how it's going to work out. killed some squash planting straight into it. i couldn't wait to plant something!

CC, i couldn't find the anount of lime in the lakeland. i was nervous about adding more. how do you find it? it says "lime added to adjust ph" that's all.. i ended up throwing some of the epsoma GL in so we'll see.

Last edited:
S

swicker

ya way to many people fluff the word organic on their product, i am mainly talking about food production companies

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
pro-mix's ultimate organic is the answer... I suggest everyone look into it.. I won't use anything else.
Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic Mix contains:
Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss
Sea-based Compost
Limestone
Perlite
Mycorise

No coir? Only perlite? No pumice? No Vermiculite? Limestone?

An interesting mix from a major player in the horticulture industry. Though they pale in comparison vs. Sun Gro Horticulture in gross sales and market penetration.

I think I can understand why.

CC