What's new

Pro Mix soil is not organic

mad librettist

Veteran
hey you guys should check out pseudo-organic. It's the new organic.

seriously, who is marketing certified organic pot? if wetting agents and microdoses of nutes bug you, don't use promix.

I happen to think it's organic if you treat the grow like an organism greater than the sum of its parts, cared for accordingly.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Hey now, Zendo didn't say "ProMix is the devil and you can't grow organically using it." (He did overstate his original notion, but he has retracted that part of his statement.) What he was saying is that people who are growing organic should be made aware that there are soluble nutes added to Pro-Mix.

After all, a person can eat McDonald's and still be healthy, but you aren't going to open any medical journals and see McDonald's recommended.

L

Lord Humungus

this 'organic' stuff is almost as bad as the chemdog/og stuff.....

Last edited:
V

vonforne

I found a brand in florida that was organic with no wetting agent. I will look inmy old threads and my gallery and find it fr you.

V

I see you got your old account working again.

Zendo

I found a brand in florida that was organic with no wetting agent. I will look inmy old threads and my gallery and find it fr you.

V

I see you got your old account working again.

Yes V, I have.. Don't know if you had a role in it or not.. All of a sudden , POOF, i'm back in..

If you did, thanks!

H

humboldtlocal

I saw some bails yesterday called BM6 or MB6. They are made in the same town as ProMix from the same peat bog. I was told that it has an organic wetting agent and is supposed to be more organic than Pro mix but it didn't say OG on the bail. About the same price. It also doesn't have the myco that is in promix but I would think that is a negative. Anyone used them?

Zendo

hey you guys should check out pseudo-organic. It's the new organic.

I happen to think it's organic if you treat the grow like an organism greater than the sum of its parts, cared for accordingly.

seriously, who is marketing certified organic pot? if wetting agents and microdoses of nutes bug you, don't use promix.

That is exactly what I'm saying, I just didn't have any idea they were in there. I don't have a super large post count, but I've been scouring these organic forums like a madman for the last 5 months. I've read the entire beginners thread, and the OFC, stickys, library, etc.. and to my recollection, never read it anywhere. If I had, i would not have purchased, and that is why I started the thread to begin with, to put it out there for anyone else like me who would be affected by knowing it.
I'm not marketing it, nor would I get certified, but it's about what I am smoking, vapeing, or eating. I also want to provide what I consider my "standard" to the patients I provide for. They will most likely never care, and It won't make me a dollar more because I'll be mostly giving it away to low income patients.it's that way just because I feel I have to do it, for me.

I seriously couldn't agree more, whether looking at the planet as a whole, or the 5 gallons in my smart pot. I think that is what drives me to make all of the "parts" the way I do.

I think we are all on the exact same page here, but were just on different parts of that same page.

mad librettist

Veteran
zendo,

I think you should consider building your own soil from actual soil. I'm on this journey now (still growing in peat). There are some others who manage to keep all the parts working so that the soil does not collapse. And it is alive, and can be kept alive in perpetuity.

I'm going to be using a 14 gallon tub that fits in my rubbermaid.

Zendo

And to add...

I don't think people who use promix are bad people..They may be, but I'm sure it's not because of that..

Hell, right now I'm using a 50/50 blend of FFOF and FFHF based on "LC's mix #2" which is based on the "Cornell Mix" in the beginners thread. Next I will be doing a similar run but with Pro Mix, as I already opened the first bale, and my soil has been "cooking" for about a month.

What is growing in there is crushing my expectations, ( I have that grow going in the autoflower thread)and I was simply moving away from the "evil and overpriced" FF stuff to something better. I actually get hives on my hands when I dig around in the FFOF too much!

I'll use the Pro Mix that I have in the next batch, and I'm quite sure I will love the results with that as well.

In the meantime, I'll be working on making my own EWC, bokashi, and most likely using Sunshine natural and organic, to phase in with my composts until I can produce enough compost to make my own mixes.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
I don't eat organic, but I do eat healthy. No BhA/BHT, sodium benzoate, hydrogenated oils, msg, hfcs, alcohol, etc.. and I prolly only eat red meat ~2 meals a week. I drink 12 cups of non-organic coffee with non organic raw sugar and non organic 1/2 + 1/2 (milk and cream only, none of that ultra pasteurized shit for barletta :D) daily, along with 4-5 non-organic bannanas. I also eat supplements that are not labeled as organic.

Thing is, I have no problem considering my pee organic. None. It smells WAY better if I splash a lil pee-feed around compared to some fish-feed, or even kelp. @ 10:1, the pee doesn't really smell. If my worms digest the (non-organic) coffee and banana peels, I still consider the castings and runoff 'organic'.

If you are really worried about organic, use coco and compost. Then re-use it.

FWIW, we have put enough chemicals into the air/soil since the beginning of the industrial revolution, that ALL living things have traces of radioactive/heavy metal materials in them. Even rainwater isn't 'pure'.

Zendo

Thing is, I have no problem considering my pee organic. None. It smells WAY better if I splash a lil pee-feed around compared to some fish-feed, or even kelp. @ 10:1, the pee doesn't really smell. If my worms digest the (non-organic) coffee and banana peels, I still consider the castings and runoff 'organic'.

I agree, and while I'm not going to use my urine in my grows, If I did I would still consider it an organic grow.

However, If I diluted my urine 20:1, and added Aqua Gro and chemical ferts, I would no longer find it acceptable for my plants.

The point wasn't whether urine is organic, it was whether adding something that says this.....

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS
! CAUTION: MAY CAUSE IRRITATION. DO NOT GET IN EYES OR ON SKIN.
! AVOID BREATHING VAPORS OR MISTS.
! AVOID USING PRODUCT IN A MANNER AS TO DIRECTLY, OR THROUGH
DRIFT, EXPOSE WORKERS OR OTHER PERSONS.
! ALWAYS CONSULT THE MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET FOR SPECIFIC
INSTRUCTIONS.
! APPLICATORS AND OTHER HANDLERS MUST WEAR GOGGLES OR A
FACIAL SPLASH SHIELD; CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES, SUCH AS
NITRILE RUBBER 14 MILS OR NEOPRENE RUBBER 14 MILS;
COVERALLS OR LONG SLEEVED SHIRT AND LONG PANTS; SHOES
PLUS SOCKS.
! KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
FIRST AID MEASURES IN CASE OF CONTACT
! EYE CONTACT: DO NOT RUB EYES. Immediately flush eyes with large
amounts of water for 15 minutes lifting the lower and upper lids. Seek medical
attention if necessary.
! SKIN CONTACT: Remove contaminated clothing and immediately wash
affected area with large amounts of water for at least 5 minutes. If irritation or
redness persists, seek medical attention as needed.
! IF SWALLOWED: If person is conscious, give 1 - 2 glasses of water to drink.
Seek medical attention. Do not leave victim unattended. Induce vomiting only
upon advice from a physician.
! INHALATION: Not an expected route of exposure. If respiratory irritation or
distress occurs, remove victim to fresh air. Seek medical attention if necessary.
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY OR SPILL
Contact CHEMTREC at 800-424-9300 or 703-527-3887
(International Customers Call Collect)
NJTSRN 26934800000-5034
Applicators and other handlers should wash hands before eating, drinking, chewing
gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove protective clothing and equipment
after handling. Wash the outside of gloves before removing. Wash thoroughly and
change into clean clothing.

Is organic, and acceptable to be in my Cannabis, food, soil, or water supply.

How does it affect the ecosystem?

A product that refers to someone who ingests it or gets it on their skin as a "victim", I want no part in, especially when I have an organic alternative.

:2cents:

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
You seem awful worried. Do you realize how your FFOF got into that bag marked 'organic'? I would consider promix with the lil bit of wetting agent and perlite FAR more organic than FFOF.

That's just my 2 pennies. Gonna go pee on my compost pile.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Do not expose happy fun soil to sunlight as explosion may cause serious injury. Yeah,the goggles and gloves thing is a little freaky.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I think that if you want to get a complete organic mix you should just make it yourself. I picked up a bag of OMRI listed Canadian sphagnum moss for $10 a bale. I mix in all my organic amendments which is what secondtry uses. There's no reason to stop buying ProMix, for many people its time tested and works. Personally i like mixing my own soil mixes.

Also as said earlier the great thing about chemical ferts is their ability to be flushed. If you don't like it just flush it.

If you worried about becoming a victim, i suggest you stay away from organics in the first place. guano's are full of micro's which if get into a cut will get infected if not taken care of. Ingesting rock dust, just by breathing it in can bring silica dusts into your system. Your worried about a certain product when its not organic, however organics alone which don't belong in your body and have a much easier time getting it there than chems.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Man. Hopefully you've learned your lesson, Zendo. There is no room for subtlety in the organics forum.

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Your sarcasm could stand to be a little more pointed, mad. I can't tell where you're aiming it or what you're getting at.

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
I appreciate your post Zendo. :ying:

I, myself, will use up the rest of my Pro Mix and then seek a better alternative. Sure chemicals can show up anywhere, but if I know they're there I'm not going to let it slide.

Bonghitz

mad - I got your joke right away. Zing!
Canna - I'm with you, once my bale of Pro Mix BX is all used up I won't buy it again...however after reading the "The re-use of our soil" thread in the Organic Soil section a few months back I'm hoping that amending with molasses, dolomite lime and compost will let me keep the same soil going indefinitely...