What's new

Diary Crunky's corner!

7eastgenetics

Thanks everyone for the support! At this time all of the mutants I've acquired have been bred and selected by others. I have plans for each mutant variety to outcross them and then work the line myself to reintroduce those recessive 'mutant' phenotypes. Will likely be my life's work so I'll be plugging away year after year.

Menthol Skunk is a sister strain to Freakshow. Long story short, the father worked the Freakshow line with a mutant male and his son made the BerryFreak and Menthol skunk lines with a select female.

@teide - I think you mean Lagkitan. ;) Fear not I have plans to work the Double Scorpion line next year, which is 50% Lagkitan and 50% Punto Rojo (grinspoon male phenotype). I also have some other really cool landraces to explore.
any updates ? been lurking a while.

crunkyeah

Veteran
Since ya asked for an update here you go!

Weather is always iffy here in the north but fortunately nature has taken care of my plants. We're getting frosts nightly now, but the plants seem to be enduring. Most of the garden has died off now except the cold hardy plants like rutabagas, parsnips, and kholrabi. Had a couple storms and the flowering ladies don't much care for the rain but they've endured. I plan on harvesting most of them in the next few days. Some plants might go as long as humanly possible and others I won't even have a chance at... fortunately I cloned all the stuff I wanted to work with over winter and now I'm doing a seed run.

Before I post photos I should mention that I spend most of my forum time on another forum. I've had a lot going on in my life so I haven't been updating icmag.

I'll keep it short and sweet:
FLOWERING:
6x Snowhigh's Devil's Malawi F1 females
5x Landrace Team' Sumatran Banda Aceh females (?)
3x AFC Seeds' Tentazione F1
1x Canna Research Co's Menthol Skunk F3
1x 7 East Genetics' Drunken Bastard F3
1x Kalyseeds' V9 Tiger
1x Kalyseeds' Giant Pur Pur HK 2.0 F2

CLONES ROOTED:
5x Malawi females
4x Malawi males
5x Aceh females

On the clones, I have 2 sets. One in dirt, and one in a new style of hydro. Other than my freaking aphids everything is doing well. The plan for all of these are to make seeds. Malawi F2s and F1s with the Aceh.

So far I haven't really decided on my next strain to grow. I have some massive-leaf ABC to go through, some variegated lanceolate seeds, as well as some purple flower freakshow to sort through. Additionally I still want to work more with Mnogolistka so we'll see what strain gets my attention after these Aceh and Malawi do their thing.

Anyways, photos..
IMG_8489.JPG

IMG_8490.JPG

Drunken Bastard, she got hit hard by wind and water this year!

IMG_8486.JPG

IMG_8487.JPG

Giant Pur Pur with red pistils. Unfortunately the cold seems to wither the ends of them but they're quite lovely!

IMG_8483.JPG
Menthol Skunk, best smelling plant of the group

IMG_8479.JPG

V9 Tiger

IMG_8478.JPG

5th Aceh is kinda next to the lawn tractor in the background. I planted these in June I think.. 3 months was definitely not long enough... these seem to be a very long flowering landrace like the Jamaican I grew last year. Real stoked to have them in veg so I can explore all 5 this winter!

IMG_8466.JPG

Speaking of clones here they are... covered in aphids -.- ....working on that solution!

IMG_8472.JPG
IMG_8473.JPG

I won't say I'm proud of this because it's not something I invented but I will say I'm extremely happy I learned about this technology and know quite a bit about it now! Long story short what we have is an air pump that pumps water into this homemade channel. I had intended for this to be an NFT-style grow but I didn't add enough tilt to the system so that the water flows and then empties. It's a bit too flat so the water doesn't want to flow like in an NFT channel; it's more like a half-baked Dutch bucket system. Since I'm using an air pump to move the water I am guessing that a decent amount of dissolved oxygen is what's keeping the plants from drowning in the 1" of water at the bottom of the channel.

It's taken a bit of trial and error to experiment with all the different sizes of pvc pipe and fittings as well as learning about fluid dynamics which allow this thing to function efficiently. Any reason the hydro plants might look rough is because they haven't had any real nutrition since they were part of the main plant about a month ago. Also, kind of dumb, but I put them into 12/12 immediately upon installation into this system. I don't want to battle height as much 70-90 days from now. Maybe it will be a good decision, only time will tell.

Most of the pumps seen online are substantially larger than what I'm using. I have a 1" to 1/2" airlift which is supplied by a 20w air pump (30L/min). I haven't done much testing with this specific configuration to find out my gallons per hour flow rate but I know it's at least 60. The water is circulating quite quickly in the pipe, not enough to cause any damage though. Been spending a lot of time learning about this and I can say I will focus more on this technology in my growing future, both indoors and out.

crunkyeah

Veteran
Incredible color on the Giant Pur Pur!

Your hydro system reminds me of TA GrowStream (GH Aeroflo).
After looking at those online... I could agree the systems are very similar. Problem is the design on a product that retails for at least 400 USD... there's design flaws in those systems just looking at them. This system was built for about 25% of what one of those would cost.

Additionally if your pump goes out your plants are done if you don't get to them asap. With my setup (being flat) I can lose power for a bit and the plants don't notice it. Also, my pump can't ever get clogged. Those systems all have clog issues if you don't have good water. I could use swamp water in this system and it would likely work like a peach. The pumps were designed for aquaponics. Maybe I'll think about incorporating fish into my setup in the future but for now I'm happy experimenting with just the plants.

goingrey

After looking at those online... I could agree the systems are very similar. Problem is the design on a product that retails for at least 400 USD... there's design flaws in those systems just looking at them. This system was built for about 25% of what one of those would cost.

Additionally if your pump goes out your plants are done if you don't get to them asap. With my setup (being flat) I can lose power for a bit and the plants don't notice it. Also, my pump can't ever get clogged. Those systems all have clog issues if you don't have good water. I could use swamp water in this system and it would likely work like a peach. The pumps were designed for aquaponics. Maybe I'll think about incorporating fish into my setup in the future but for now I'm happy experimenting with just the plants.
Aquaponics would be awesome, get some dinner too. On one hand it adds to the complexity and ups the responsibility level. On the other, having aquariums is a popular children's hobby, if some little kids are up to the challenge, pretty pathetic if I'm not.

crunkyeah

Veteran
Aquaponics would be awesome, get some dinner too. On one hand it adds to the complexity and ups the responsibility level. On the other, having aquariums is a popular children's hobby, if some little kids are up to the challenge, pretty pathetic if I'm not.
Aquaponics is a whole different thing. Most children don't think about growing fish to provide for their family it's just 'cool'. For kids it's all about fun. For us adults we have this wonderful thing called responsibility. It's not pathetic if a person can't figure out aquaponics, there's a lot to it.

For me it's an exploration of reality and what makes everything work. I'm the kind that has to know WHY stuff works. For example when I found these airlifts I was like wow that's incredible what makes it work? Then I find out about oxygen-water mixtures and buoyant velocities... and it's not so much a children's game.

For any readers of this thread, I implore you if you want a system like the GH Aeroflo let me show you how to make one that doesn't suck. That system has so many problems with it I don't even want to get into it. How they can offer it for those prices and feel like they have a competitive product is beyond me. It doesn't even have a proper stand (any model of them)! The reservoir is supposed to bear the weight. Seriously?

I have to take back my statement about these systems being similar; mine is superior. ;)

Hollyweed_

aceh landrace from my country ,
long long flowering ,, 6 month to ripe
Have you ever finish them? How long from seed to harvest?
how about the light cycle? since at indo is 12/12 naturally, how to flip them to flower?
My dealers got busted, so i think its better for me to grow my own girl

Goat bread

Have you ever finish them? How long from seed to harvest?
how about the light cycle? since at indo is 12/12 naturally, how to flip them to flower?
My dealers got busted, so i think its better for me to grow my own girl
Not recommended . Growing aceh landrace indoor. This is strain 100% sativa pure landrace . Hard to manage crazy stretching to
but if you make a clone of the first sign flowering stage,
You will get a plant size that is not too big, but for the flowers to mature it still takes a long time,

Attachments

• 55798160_2249028475359272_2954519418941472768_n.jpg
    55798160_2249028475359272_2954519418941472768_n.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

crunkyeah

Veteran
IMG_8727.JPG

ABC type regs... hoping to find one massive leaf male to breed with the 5 Aceh growing beneath them.

IMG_8730.JPG

All 5 females in veg. I've had to keep them in small pots and clip them a bit but they're doing ok.

IMG_8726.JPG

Aceh clones trying to get 2-3m... the same tiny clones from before. Couple Malawi females there too but they stayed shorter. Plan to find an ABC-type male and sultan breed him into the Aceh in the next run. This run should produce some good dry sift or bubble hash and several thousand seeds. All females here are heavily pollinated.

@Hollyweed_ - If I were you I'd find another strain than the Aceh unless you're near there or something. It seems to be a lower yielding sativa than others I've grown. You'd be much better off with some hybrid sativa if you're relying on it for smoke. In my experience these wispy sativas only yield well when they're outside and 3-5m tall! They just don't have the density of the modern stuff these days and take so much longer to flower. You have to be passionate about growing sativas because normally it's a labor of love rather than production ;) but these are just my opinions so feel free to reject them as such.

@Goat bread - I agree about how crazy this plant stretches in flowering! Easily 8 weeks in they gained by 200x. I cut the tops off of 4 of them and they still manage to grow above the light! Hopefully combined with this ABC type strain I have that can combine them together for a more robust strain that takes the best from each parent!

Verdant Whisperer

Not recommended . Growing aceh landrace indoor. This is strain 100% sativa pure landrace . Hard to manage crazy stretching to
but if you make a clone of the first sign flowering stage,
You will get a plant size that is not too big, but for the flowers to mature it still takes a long time,
Im interested in Aceh, if you don't mind sharing your seed source, thank you.

crunkyeah

Veteran
@Verdant Whisperer - I sourced mine from The Landrace Team. Only strain from them I didn't get 100% germination on. If you are interested I will have Aceh x Devil's Malawi F1 seeds from these females in another 2 months or so. I also plan on making F1 hybrids with a mutant male and the Aceh ladies after this run is done. Unfortunately I did not find a male and the beans were pricey enough to not make me want to buy more.

Last time I looked, TLT posted in their IG that they now have 2 accessions of Banda Aceh, lowlands and highlands.

crunkyeah

Veteran
got out to my second location, here's the Malawi clones in flower. day 40 so far. probably another month on these too.
IMG_8807.JPG

75% power - roughly 1100w

IMG_8808.JPG

IMG_8809.JPG

25% power - this is my first run of Osmocote brand plant food. so far the plants seem happy and fruitful.

happy holidays all.

Goat bread

Last edited:

crunkyeah

Veteran
veg Aceh:
IMG_8878.JPG

they really begging for more root and veg space; they will get it soon.

pine tar dooligah and feral jelly:
IMG_8876.JPG
IMG_8875.JPG

unfortunately got thrips and some kind of root aphid or some bugs, these too are ready for 'more'

flower Aceh:
IMG_8863.JPG

IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG

IMG_8866.JPG

day 101. some new pistils, but generally they're almost done. all of the calyxes where the tip has turned brown contains a stout little seed. i will give them a couple more weeks so the most immature seeds have a chance, but realistically i could harvest now and be content. hundreds of f1 seeds with the Malawi male so offspring should be good plants.