What's new

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I cannot speak for customers everywhere. But around here the majority of people want something that will put them on their ass with just a few tokes. Their priorities seem to be primarily price and potency followed by convenience and flavor.

​​​​​​

I'm curious about something......I'm just a small time hobby grower, I grow solely for my own personal smoke and don't sell any of it. So I'm not really in connection with "the market" or know all that much about it. Though I have been working with the cannabis plant for 10+ years now, it's entirely for my own supply.

So I have a naïve question.....I always see prices broken down into categories like outdoor, indoor, green house, light dep, etc.

Why is the price of flower based on how/where it was grown, instead of the price being based on the over all quality of the flower regardless of how/where it was grown? And how does the buyer know that the flower they are buying was actually grown the way the seller said it was?

I know indoor flower can sometimes have colors that are more vibrant/pop more than something grown outdoors, but other than that I don't really see much difference, certainly not a drastic difference in quality (if the grower knows what they're doing) .

Some of the outdoor I've grown is easily on par with and just as dank as some indoor I've seen/smoked over the years...Dense, completely frosted white in trichomes/resin, lots of good/complex/loud aroma and good flavor. The Mac1 that I grew last summer in particular looks just like super dank indoor flower to me. Certainly waaay better than ANYTHING I've ever got from a cannabis-store or on the street-market in many years. But just because it was grown "outdoors" that means it isn't worth as much as something grown indoors?...even though it is just as dank if not danker/better than some indoor? Doesn't make any sense to me.

I know one person that grows in a green-house and they sell pounds of their flower as "indoor" so they can fetch a higher price. I think it is silly that one can just say "this is indoor" and actually get a higher price. The quality didn't change, it is merely what the seller is labeling it as, so calling it "indoor" automatically means it is worth more?

I just think it is silly that one can catch a higher price just by simply saying the flower was grown "indoors"...Shouldn't the price be based on the quality of the flower instead of where it was grown? I don't consider indoor to be inherently top-shelf/high quality, and I don't consider outdoor to inherently be low-quality (quite the opposite IMO)

I don't view outdoor as being inherently low-quality...Some of the outdoor I've personally grown is up there with the best cannabis I've ever seen/smelled/smoked/tasted in my life (been working with the plant for 10+ years now).

m4n

Seen some GH OG this weekend. Light green, Tight trim, Good smell, No brown stems and no large buds. $750LB lower on bulk orders.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I cannot speak for customers everywhere. But around here the majority of people want something that will put them on their ass with just a few tokes. Their priorities seem to be primarily price and potency followed by convenience and flavor.

​​​​​​
That's a story as old as time.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's nice to have something super potent. Having potency and flav is what we search for. Potency is not that hard to find today.

Last edited:

carson

at the end of the day people are just producing too much. Even if more people are smoking than ever, the supply has grown so much more. Covid only exacerbated that as everyone was stuck home smoking up their unemployment checks for months and there was an actual mini-drought that caused people to increase production even more. If people keep producing as much as they can, the price will only go down. Better to produce less at a higher price but that requires all producers to scale back a bit. Prisoners dilemna.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's why all commercial canna business is flawed.. They think if they can grow thousands of lbs on the cheap and it's a good thing for the industry lol. IT'S ALL SCREWED UP BECAUSE OF THESE PEOPLE.

This is so so true. Everything is going up in cost, just not our product. Its some bullshit because the cost of production keeps going up too. Efficiency is super key.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
THESE PEOPLE ARE WORKING HARD TO GET THE PRICES BACK UP for the permitted folks only.

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:

SECTION 1.

Section 11358 of the Health and Safety Code is amended to read:

Each person who plants, cultivates, harvests, dries, or processes cannabis plants, or any part thereof, except as otherwise provided by law, shall be punished as follows:
(a) Each person under the age of 18 who plants, cultivates, harvests, dries, or processes any cannabis plants shall be punished in the same manner provided in paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) of Section 11357.
(b) Each person at least 18 years of age but less than 21 years of age who plants, cultivates, harvests, dries, or processes not more than six living cannabis plants shall be guilty of a felony, punishable pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code.
(c) Each person 18 years of age or over who plants, cultivates, harvests, dries, or processes more than six living cannabis plants shall be guilty of a felony, punishable pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code.

WEEKS 27 AND 28 OF OPERATION HAMMERSTRIKE LEAD TO THE SEIZURE OF OVER 150,000 MARIJUANA PLANTS

73 people were arrested, and 53 illegal marijuana grow operations countywide were shut down, including three in Twentynine Palms, two in Landers, and one in Yucca Valley during the twenty-seventh and twenty-eighth weeks of illegal marijuana grow raids. According to Sheriff’s reports, deputies and investigators from the San Bernardino County Marijuana Enforcement Team (MET) served 53 search warrants at properties in Hesperia, Pinon Hills, Oak Hills, Apple Valley, Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, Diamond Bar, Spring Valley Lake, San Gabriel, Devore, Twentynine Palms, Yucca Valley, Landers, Fontana, Lucerne Valley, Oro Grande, Helendale, Phelan, Newberry Springs, and Alhambra from February 28 through March 13 as part of Operation Hammer Strike, weeks twenty-seven and twenty-eight. During this time, investigators arrested 73 suspects and eradicated 379 greenhouses, including 30 indoor locations. Deputies seized 156,252 marijuana plants, 4,968.9 pounds of processed marijuana, 22 guns, and over $98,000 in cash. Investigators also mitigated three electrical bypasses and two THC extraction labs

The raids came as a result of numerous complaints received regarding large outdoor marijuana cultivations in the areas. The suspects were cited or booked on charges of cultivation of cannabis, over six plants, possession for sales of marijuana, illegal water discharge, manufacturing a controlled substance, utility theft, and conspiracy. A complete list of suspects and raided properties is available below.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
(b) Each person at least 18 years of age but less than 21 years of age who plants, cultivates, harvests, dries, or processes not more than six living cannabis plants shall be guilty of a felony, punishable pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code.

So... You are old enough to vote and be drafted, but not old enough to determine your own future and health. So if we catch you making your own determinations, we are going to throw you onto our system, and fuck up your life for you.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The pricing BS going on makes no sense.. Everything across the board has increased in price. Nothing is the same price it was last year. The only exception I can find is cannabis. For some reason, weed is the only thing that has dropped in price.. Trying to figure out why people do this is beyond my understanding.

GreenerSide

There is only one thing that will ever cure “low” prices. That is “low” prices.
Simple function based entirely on supply/demand.
It appears to me that every 3-5 year cycle is met with supply side issue. Market flood. This cycle can adjust up or down due to the rate the product can be produced. (I look at the time of 2010-2011 everyone in Cal crushing Blue Dream. Also 2016-2017 the rush due to legalization in CA). Here we are again 2021-2022.
We’re not growing vines or trees (which take a multi year investment to yield anything).
Trim the fat. Stay lean. If you’re great at what you do and have the stamina - you’ll probably make it.
Keep your head up everybody. We are up against the likes of slave labor, profits over consumer, and typical paying off the weak politicians. We always will be. The market will improve with larger numbers of passionate well intentioned producers. It will never improve with consolidating the production to a few.
Hone your craft and continue to do what you love. The market will never ignore the best. Now get out and make something that nobody else can.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The supply chain is normally what we use for pricing.. We have an abundance of other shit that has gotten more expensive. An example is Booze.. There is plenty of booze everywhere.. The pricing has increased by 1% across the board. As I said what we see going on with weed makes no sense.

asilsweater

If you gonna blame someone blame all those numbnuts who voted to legalize commercial in California instead of voting for medical with tight restrictions for both patients and growers!!!

radioman

The thing about weed from California - some of it downright sucks. It used to be here on the east coast - "They" would ship out the best weed & it would be pricey too. Now, yes "They" do still ship excellent indoor weed & it is still costly. However, "They" also ship out Crappy Outdoor Weed that I wouldn't want to get stuck with an ounce let alone a pound. Some of that Outdoor Grown Weed is like the Commercial Mexican from the 1970's - some was good and some of it sucked. I don't know if it the Seeds or the Growers or both. I don't know why people grow and ship shitty Pot but they do. That's all I will write & I'll stay out of the California Forum (even though I used to live in Southern California when I was young)...