What's new

Who knows the Original Characteristics of the oldskool NL#5 (´89/´90)?

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
I'll ask the same in this nl thread too..

Do you guys & @Thcvhunter know if some of the Afghanis going around Hawaii , that are in the genetics of NL5, had floral, earthy-mint-blueberry candy hashy smell, no pine or juniper at all? Darker green, short and bushy plant

I found only one of that type in mns ortega (nl5/nl1) out of about 75 plants

I also found a nice Swazi leaning one

btw, i didin't get a lot of pine/juniper smelling plants in mns ortega
The "Hawaiian" in the US"NL5" was a pure sativa, not an Afghan.

Last edited:

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
Allways thought nl5 was (afghan*thai)*thai
That's what Greg originally told Nevil. Nevil even stated that the US clone showed signs of Thai, which is most likely the case.

Here's a pic of a Thai plant those NL guys were working with (Possibly the mother to the clone?).
Screenshot_20240426_143620_Gallery.jpg

Sanjuro

The "Hawaiian" in the US"NL5" was a pure sativa, not an Afghan.
According to Thcvhunter the BOEL Hawaiian had a Mexi afghani hybrid in it.

I saw around 10 different afghani archetypes, from different populations, in the mns ortega nl5/nl1, and the pink mexican and swazi genetics in the MNS line. the line is multihybrid of different afghans

I think Katsu's bubba S1 cut has Thai from the Hawaiian, it's offspring can be very strchy

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
According to Thcvhunter the BOEL Hawaiian had a Mexi afghani hybrid in it.

I saw around 10 different afghani archetypes, from different populations, in the mns ortega nl5/nl1, and the pink mexican and swazi genetics in the MNS line. the line is multihybrid of different afghans

I think Katsu's bubba S1 cut has Thai from the Hawaiian, it's offspring can be very strchy
Yea, you're picking up the Ortega/MapleLeaf Afghan in that hybrid. FWIW Ortega is not an NL1 hybrid; there isn't a spec of Nl1 in that cross.

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
MNS ortega is nl5 and nl1 male. There is no maple leaf in it.
There is no NL1 in that cross, period. Shanti doesn't know the real lineage to most of the stuff Nevil sold him. Again, NL1 traits don't show up in that hybrid.

Last edited:

Sanjuro

There is no NL1 in that cross, period. Shanti doesn't know the real lineage to most of the stuff Nevil sold him. Again, NL1 traits don't show up in that hybrid.

Here's a post from Nevil's old seed bank partner who confirmed it.
View attachment 18993724
Come on..
How would some guy know who wasn't there when Nevil sold his seed stock to Shantibaba. Nevil used his nl1 male on many of his females, it's a well know fact, ofcourse he did the nl5 with it too.
I grew 75 of mns ortegas, there is no maple leaf in it. How many have you gone thru?..gossiping doesn't mean anything.
Maple Leaf/Ortega and MNS Ortega share a name but that is it.

Sanjuro

I've grown the NL5 x Nl1 nevil made and it's nothing like ortega. I also have Nevil's NL1 going right, again nothing like ortega.
As i wrote before, mns ortega is unstable and it has many different afghani archetypes in it, likely more than 10. It really comes down to selection – the genetic makeup of the parents MNS used – how the reproduction line is going to look like

Shanti’s reproduction using Nevil’s old nl5nl1 seed stock may look very different to the f1 generation, it doesn’t mean it’s not nl5nl1. The seed line is obviously unstable, so it’s a matter of selection how the seeds are going to look like. This is basics of breeding

And it wouldn't be the first Nevil's old lines that Shanti ruined, now would it ha-ha, all the Haze hybrids for starters

I haven’t grown pure nl1, sadly, but it might have been you who posted a photo of some/your NL1 type, and i have one female with similar leaf traits, but it also has Hawaii/mex sativa in it , honey, lemony dark hashy, very strong stoned smoke with a head spin from the sativa side.

Yes, i didn’t see that type of afghani alot in mns ortega, but people have reported of getting lemony afghanis. Only two of mine had lemon notes, the other one just little bit. A lot more berry/strawberry/floral smelling plants in my seed lot but not a lot of lemons. one or two plants had orange notes

I had around 75 plants out of 100 seeds. Didn’t flower the plants that weren’t up to par but i flowered and smoked a good number of them. Plenty of average plants in there but some are gems. NL5/NL2 was probably the better line like Nevil mentioned, but i never had 5/2 either

I know it’s an NL5 thread but can you show us your NL1 so that people know what we are talking about?

Sanjuro

My plant shares similar leaf/growth traits and color ..the lemony notes are more like artificial candy lemony not real lemon or the kushy lemon that’s in pakistani/OG Kush .It’s like the lemony filler in lemon liqourice candy

The pine/juniper notes you can smell in mns ortega are fairly subtle but they are there, also minty/menthol/piney
lemon-cream-rocks-fondant-filled-sweet-liquorice-tubes-covered_1800x1800.jpg

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I'll ask the same in this nl thread too..

Do you guys & @Thcvhunter know if some of the Afghanis going around Hawaii , that are in the genetics of NL5, had floral, earthy-mint-blueberry candy hashy smell, no pine or juniper at all? Darker green, short and bushy plant

I found only one of that type in mns ortega (nl5/nl1) out of about 75 plants

I also found a nice Swazi leaning one

btw, i didin't get a lot of pine/juniper smelling plants in mns ortega
Swazi. Vanilla
Screenshot_20240426-230322-836.png

Berry, hashy/earthy
20210827_172809_resized.jpg
20210822_142451_resized.jpg

Thcvhunter

Veteran
NL Crew didnt make NL5. So their Thai had nothing to do with NL5.
Herbie, a BOEL member made NL5 in Hawaii using NL on his Hawaiian.
Its mostly sativa. (swazi x Thai) X (Mexi x Afghan). But u gotta remember at that time the afghan flowered until Nov/Dec and wasnt hybridized with ruderalis to be an Aug/Sept afghan.

Thus, NL5 is:
(Swazi x Thai) X (Mexi x affy)
X
Affy x affy.

As for whatever some dutch people say it is, they always post their ideas with the words "think" "feel" "guess". And they werent gifted the line to preserve.

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
NL5 mother and it was as it was described to me, part Thai. But my NL5 didn't seem to have any Thai influence. I spent a lot of time analysing the NL lines, in particular NL5.

I only saw evidence of two indica male lines in the NL series and that was NL1 and NL2. My best bet was that NL5 was a combination of NL1 male line and US NL5 female. I guessed that US5 was 50% NL2. Northern Lights 2x5 was the best that I could do staying within the line (pure NL).
That shows how little Neville knew.
He says NL2 x NL5 is pure NL. No, its not. It has Hawaiian. But nobody told him its Hawaiian in there - he just guessed that NL5 is all NL(afghan) because he only got "NL5" (NL5xNL2 or NL2xNL5) and 2x5 (NL5 x NL2 x NL2 or Nl2 x NL5 x NL2).
Imagine this - greg doesn't trust don, so gives don 2x5(or 5x2) and tells him its pure NL5, or "NL5". Don gives Neville that one. Then later Neville also gets "2x5" which is really a Bx to NL2 and not an outcross. So all assumptions Neville made were made based upon a lie.

Sanjuro

That afghani pheno you have could be it! mine is just more bld looking

My plant also does the double serration, her offspring too ..not that visible in these veg photos. I don’t have any photo of it flowering

full

full

The Swazi pheno i have is woody,hazey, sweaty, tart fruity, notes of citrus and coca cola, earthy, moldy .It has similar looks as some of the Afropips Swazis people are growing. I don’t have any photos of it.

Last edited:

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
That shows how little Neville knew.
He says NL2 x NL5 is pure NL. No, its not. It has Hawaiian. But nobody told him its Hawaiian in there - he just guessed that NL5 is all NL(afghan) because he only got "NL5" (NL5xNL2 or NL2xNL5) and 2x5 (NL5 x NL2 x NL2 or Nl2 x NL5 x NL2).
Imagine this - greg doesn't trust don, so gives don 2x5(or 5x2) and tells him its pure NL5, or "NL5". Don gives Neville that one. Then later Neville also gets "2x5" which is really a Bx to NL2 and not an outcross. So all assumptions Neville made were made based upon a lie.
1.) What you and the bogus NL ExPerT don't understand is that when Nevil said "Pure NL," he meant breeding within the NL series instead of outcrossing to something else, then Bx'ing.

2.) He didn't guess the lineage of NL; it was told to him by Greg himself back in 1984.

3.) Nevil was given the seeds first, not the other way around, like you stated. The clone came later.

4.) I need you to really use common sense here. How would it be possible for Greg to give Don a 5x2 clone when NL2 wasn't created yet? The clone existed before Don made NL2.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
1.) What you and the bogus NL ExPerT don't understand is that when Nevil said "Pure NL," he meant breeding within the NL series instead of outcrossing to something else, then Bx'ing.

2.) He didn't guess the lineage of NL; it was told to him by Greg himself back in 1984.

3.) Nevil was given the seeds first, not the other way around, like you stated. The clone came later.

4.) I need you to really use common sense here. How would it be possible for Greg to give Don a 5x2 clone when NL2 wasn't created yet? The clone existed before Don made NL2.
4)When did Don get the clone. When did Don give neville the clone?

The only pure NL line Don was given was NL2, because he supplied the Hindu kush that went into making it, which he got from his son in oregon.

2) - if Neville was told the lineage of NL5, why was he so friggin wrong about it? Besides, greg and his crew didnt make NL5.

3) yes, he got the seeds first. Then he got the NL5xNL2 and then the NL5xNL2xNL2 clones.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Honestly, this thread is getting to be like MNS forums and its taking the fun out of it.

I spoke my truth. For those that wanna understand - theres it is, a simple breakdown of NL5, and an explanation of why Neville was deceived and continued to deceive others for profit.