What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Which strain makes the thickest colas

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Sage from THSeeds

Sage from THSeeds

I had colas so big even after drying they wouldn't fit into a wide-mouth mason jar.Killer buzz and taste too! Good luck what ever ya choose...take care BC

Joe A. Grower

"Bud size" and "weight per plant" are both highly dependent on how much veg time you give a plant. My best indoor plant ever yeilded 19 ounces of very dry, closely-trimed bud, but we're talking about a plant that was vegged for 7 weeks under full HID lighting (not flouros) and was over 6 ft. tall at harvest.

So what strain will yield 5 ounces per plant? The answer is "any strain -- if you veg it long enough." What strains yield "big colas?" Well, most indicas do pretty well in that category. Sativa buds tend to be thinner, longer, and less dense. (although this is not 100% true of all Sativas)

If you want REALLY big colas (for photo contests and such), then you need REALLY big plants. Start with a very vigorous indica or indica-dominat hybrid strain. Use hydroponics (or aeroponics) with a fairly large root chamber -- like a 5 gal bucket for each plant. Set up your growroom with at least 8 ft. ceilings (more is better). Then set up around 1000W worth of HPS lighting per plant, veg till the plant is 5-6 ft tall (usually takes 2-3 months) and force flower. You'll wind up with an 8-9 ft tall plant that has colas the size of your forearm.

sogman

Oh boy! those Nl x BigBud are looking quite excellent Stoned silly, they really do look genetically coded for a single big ass cola. Except on a few plants you seem to be getting lots of bud at the flower site near the top, and none on the nodes on the stem. Is that a lack of lighting issue? just curious, other than that I think your growing is completely outstanding, and your plants look extremely well cared for. 2 thumbs up!

fjällhöga that SSH looks totally similar to green house seeds SSH, thats some good inbred genetics, looking fantastic as usual! Apparently Green house seeds has a strain called arjan haze, its supposedly higher in THC levels than their SSH, it's all over seedbay.

Strain Searcher that cola is fucking wicked sick man, some great genetics in it as well! I like your reference to silence of the lambs in your signature.
That part always makes me crack up too!

"Yes sweetheart, It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again, yes!, yes she will sweetheart" LOL great stuff!

Glasspacked you know I love the widow! good stuff, glad to know theres some of that for you to enjoy soon.

joe and tommy on the second page make good common points though

treehuggers

fjällhöga said:
If you get 5 g per indoor grow you should study the basic´s before thinking what strain is heavier .... just my thought´s ....

this is Chronic/ssH f1 , i made this 3 -4 years ago , just a small batch of a handfull beans , sent them to buddies , who selected this ... crazy harvest weight of spicy potent hazey chronic - def a 1 gpw possible !

Fj

Hey fj, what was the average flowering time on those ChronicxSSH babies?

Thanks, TH

sogman

So quick is a fricken technician when it comes to growing, cleanest most concise op you'll likely see.

Hey Motaco! I've heard that critical mass has weak potency, so therefor it got crossed off my list.

beancounter

Veteran
I have a White Widow pheno from Nirvana that makes amazing colas and is extremely potent.

White Skunk made huge colas, but potency and smell wasn't what I was looking for.

Blockhead can make some huge colas in the right conditions, and most importantly dense.

If you can get Pacific's G13 cut it makes huge colas.

AK47 made my biggest cola ever. Check it out..

Like Joe said veg time is a factor, and indicas and indica dom hybrids generaly makes bigger colas, but not always. But there are alot of inidca doms that make really small colas, and plenty of sativa doms with gigantic colas.

And not all strains need long veg to make big colas. Sub Cool was using 2-3" clones with zero veg and getting bigger colas than I've seen on plants vegged for 3-4 months.

Also, hydro will make bigger colas 90% of the time. DWC consistantly makes some unreal colas.

If I had that AK47 is DWC it woulda probly been 4-5 oz instead of 2-3.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
critical mass catches a bad rap. I'm not going to lie almost every pheno of it IS crap. some don't even have smell. you can literally be full hand squeezing a nug the size of a bottle at harvest with your nose next to it and not smell it. great if you had a warehouse.

but on the other hand, they've got some nice phenos. I've seen a few pretty purple ones. never got that one myself, but I did get a pheno (the baseball bat one matter of fact) that was very resinous, smelled of sweet skunk, and had pretty good potency.

don't get me wrong its not the best weed but considering the flower time, the huge yield, and quality of bud I'd definitely buy it again. actually I'd buy two packs because with 30 seeds of critical mass I promise you'll end up with a momma that'll make heads turn.

PS, I dont know about rez's but original diesels aren't much for yield. and deep chunk was incredible weed but hands down the lowest yield I've ever had.

diesel took me a plant taller than me and bigger around than I could get my arms to get a g pack off one plant.

mostly DD#1

if you like I can take some better pics of critical mass buds tonight. I don't have that great of a cam but I'll try to get some clear trichome coverage shots.

as for NL its a good strain but its a lil leafy. nothing like the DC though. DC is extremely leafy. if you've no problem with smoking crystally leaves than you shouldn't care, but I'm one of those people who meticulously manicures every nug before I toke it.

I see your only askin for 5g a plant though. thats really just an apple on a stick and any indica dominant SOG plant should produce that easily for you.

Last edited:
G

wrong weight

wrong weight

sogman said:
It's odd that some of these huge plants you guys speak of and present are often white widow crosses. I always read about white widow having a nice smoke but a poor yield.

Northern light's and widow's are my favorite pick's though, If these are single cola monsters my mind is made up completely!

Somebody post a thick White widow up if they ever had one, cause it's a beautiful thing!

My White Widow had a huge yield. I pulled 6 oz. off one plant in a waterfarm in a 4 bucket grow. 600 watts Reweighed with correct scale.

Last edited:

sogman

Yeah I knew those white widows still had something good about them.
I think there a must for anybody. A classic high ya know, The real thing.

Beancounter that ak 47 looks soo good, its short and totally stocky with buds sticking close to the stem. It's like the perfect cross between a bush and a single cola style plant. Very nice pheno indeed!

Motaco yeah that baseball bat pheno sounds nice but if the pheno is that rare I'd rather not dedicate that much time to finding it. Curious though have you grown BigBud and how would it compare to critical mass?

Kmarpa those widows look very good just stretching right up there cause ur lights a little high but none the less their filling right out nicely! Those are gonna be some lovely smoke to brag to you buddies about!

beancounter

Veteran
sogman said:
Somebody post a thick White widow up if they ever had one, cause t's a beautiful thing!

Here ya go, a WW in a 1 gallon pot, topped once, at 55 days. I cut it at 70 and it gave me well over 3 oz dry.

This is a keeper sativa pheno from a friend who grew out a pack of Nirvana's WW. This is the best commercial cut I have grown yet. Doesn't need any veg, grows unreal fast, it clones easy, and it's impossible to kill.. It's just one of those no-brainer plants that grows fast and hard, and yeilds unreal no matter how poorly it's treated.. The only problem for commercial I see is it takes 70 days to finish fully.

It's very potent, a real head kicker, feel it off one hoot type of stuff. But it's quite racy, very 'sativa' in high. At some times, depending on mood and such, I find it's even too racy for me. But it's a good one when you wanna get stuff done, if you can focus.

70s_PotHead

Herijuana at 28 days

Cherry Bomb II @ 28 daze also

Should be interesting at harvest :yoinks:

70s :joint:

G

70s_PotHead said:
Herijuana at 28 days

Cherry Bomb II @ 28 daze also

Should be interesting at harvest :yoinks:

70s :joint:
Hey Pothead are these Reefer's seeds or Motarebel f2's or 1 of each.. I thought I had read you were growing Mot's Herijuana. I ask because I have many of his crosses with Pac G13 and MOT's Heri.. And your plants look so killa I'm just hoping.. :yummy: :wave:

G

motaco said:
I've had some baseball bats off critical mass.
^^^yep, subcools Conquistador as well, Big Foot or Zorro maybe.
Conquistador is very potent as well.

acidfire

sam fox said:
^^^yep, subcools Conquistador as well, Big Foot or Zorro maybe.
Conquistador is very potent as well.

I agree, the conquistador is great.

Subcool also just released big foot.
Not sure of the quality though.
http://www.cannaseur.com/asp/produc...=145&ph=&keywords=&recor=1&SearchFor=&PT_ID=1

499.jpg

guineapig

Veteran
AK pure or AK hybrids.....watch out or the cola might break your stem!!!

Also, has anyone considered LUI (Legends' Ultimate Indica)? This plant seems to form
a never-ending stream of thick buds right up the main stem:

(courtesy of some dude named "steppenwolf?")

This flower structure seems to prevent the cola-breaking phenomenon which
happens with some strains.....

Let me know if someone disagrees or can help with the discussion....

:ying: kind regards from a guineapig :ying: