What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What to do do to get more males?

SunnyListon

Okay, what to do to get more males? Got 5 rare regular seeds from and need to get at least ONE male from them or gonna kick my head against the wall for a week.

Knew some tricks in the past, bad lights for example and some others, but forgot about the tricks. Stuff is too good, dont remember lol.

Could you remind me, what to do for one male out of five?
Five to one.

Thank you guys!

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
Okay, what to do to get more males? Got 5 rare regular seeds from and need to get at least ONE male from them or gonna kick my head against the wall for a week.

Knew some tricks in the past, bad lights for example and some others, but forgot about the tricks. Stuff is too good, dont remember lol.

Could you remind me, what to do for one male out of five?
Five to one.

Thank you guys!
Chances are you will get at least one male out of your five seeds as long as they are not feminized seeds. I wouldn’t risk bad lighting. It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature 🙃

kro-magnon

Veteran
With 5 regular seed the odds of getting only females are extremely low so if they are this precious to you don't stress them with weird growing method like willingly giving bad lighting it won't help you but turn them in hermies. Just pop them and take care of them like any seed you will have some males and females naturally, that's the best way in my opinion.

BerryManilow

Not sure how much truth there is to this but this is from Jorge in his Grower's Bible.

"Environmental factors start influencing sex the moment the seedling has three pairs of true leaves (not counting cotyledons). Environmental factors that influence sex determination of cannabis include but are not limited to:

Increasing the level of nitrogen makes more female plants. Lower the nitrogen level to create more male plants.

Increase the level of potassium to increase male tendencies; lowering the potassium level encourages female plants.

A higher nitrogen level and a lower potassium level for the first two weeks increases females.

Low temperatures increase the number of female plants. Warm temperatures make more male plants.

High humidity increases the number of female plants. Low humidity increases male plants.

Low growing-medium moisture increases males.

More blue light increases the number of female plants. More red light increases male tendencies.

Fewer hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) increases the number of females. Longer days (e.g. 18 hours) make more male plants.

Stress: any environmental stress tends to yield more male plants when growing from seed."

Peacefrog

Veteran
If plant genetics work like human genetics do, then the sex would be determined when the pollen hits the pistil and starts forming a seed and you can't do anything to change it. That makes perfect sense to me but I don't got no proper knowledge. So based on that premise, your best bet is 100% germination and TLC and hope you don't get a cold streak on the 50/50 odds.

NEED 4 SEED

Not sure how much truth there is to this but this is from Jorge in his Grower's Bible.

"Environmental factors start influencing sex the moment the seedling has three pairs of true leaves (not counting cotyledons). Environmental factors that influence sex determination of cannabis include but are not limited to:

Increasing the level of nitrogen makes more female plants. Lower the nitrogen level to create more male plants.

Increase the level of potassium to increase male tendencies; lowering the potassium level encourages female plants.

A higher nitrogen level and a lower potassium level for the first two weeks increases females.

Low temperatures increase the number of female plants. Warm temperatures make more male plants.

High humidity increases the number of female plants. Low humidity increases male plants.

Low growing-medium moisture increases males.

More blue light increases the number of female plants. More red light increases male tendencies.

Fewer hours of daylight (e.g. 14 hours) increases the number of females. Longer days (e.g. 18 hours) make more male plants.

Stress: any environmental stress tends to yield more male plants when growing from seed."
This book is pure disinformation. The truth is you can do absolutely nothing to get more males. It's a 50:50 chance and pure luck.

mudballs

There might be something to the heat/temp thing. You ever see malformed plants that have been mistreated early in life? That tells me the genetic soup isn't hardcoded for stability. I think temps can affect M/F output ratios...im not saying these things are alligators, i just have enough proof of the plants sexual plasticity we can't discount environmental having no impact on sexuality.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Growers Bible is forty years old now and more of a historical and cultural reference.
And very important pre internet.
But look at any forty year old plant science textbook and things have changed a lot.

From what i have seen nearly all show obvious sex structures but a few seem undecided and could be pushed either way.
Whether they stay there is a question.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
just plant 10 or less seeds

there is a 76.294% chance 6 will be males

do NOT plant 100 or more seeds at once cause you will get 93.548% FEMALES

in summary , the less seeds one plants the more males

or , the more seeds one plants the more females

mudballs

Also if a 5 seed germ produces more than 1:5 males you might not think it's a great line to keep working on...I've seen a bunch of tent people get mega pissed cuz they got too many males and are boned waiting for new germinations

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I don't have a link to the paper, but I read an old paper on hemp growing that was wrote in late 1800s. The paper said that you could increase number of females by increasing the N. If that's correct in all cannabis plants, and not just fiber hemp, then I would assume lower amounts of N could produce more males.