What's new

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

Missed last Tuesday's trip to Chitina to dip-net the Copper River salmon; had too much going on and a lack of cohesion in the air, as well as thinking an appointment was today, when it was yesterday, which would've made the preparation, travel, fishing and return a tighter schedule.

But the van's mostly packed. Doing the fine adjustments to the e-kit that stays with the van and the smaller e-kit items that'll be bagged and packed and head down-river with me. Trying to stay light.

PSA yesterday was a disappointment; apparently Murphy still has me in his crosshairs. $100,000, or close to it, in radiation tx 2 months ago, and the numbers aren't yet showing much reprieve, though they haven't really risen much. Seems I'm a walking talking battlefield inside; cancer cells and past radiation treatment still duking it out a bit.

Waiting to hear from the radiation dude in Anchorage after he reviews yesterday's labs to see if he feels as unsettled as I do about all of this.

Time to tuck that shit onto the backburner of the mind and forget it's there. Nothing to be done but wait, and maybe entertain another bout of SBRT radiation.

I told the local Doc yesterday that whatever happens, I intend to go out fishing, eating good food, and drinking class-act beer. I didn't mention the heirloom hashish and weed, or the LSD, shrooms, occasional Rx speed, and other seasonings necessary in this life.

Had another steroid epidural this AM, preparing for the stress and strain of pulling salmon out of nets in a strong current in the river.

Lying about, letting that settle in as much as possible, or close to it.

Most of my stuff's ready to go now.

Looks like this Tuesday's the launch date for the salmon, meeting my daughter and her co-worker there Tuesday evening.

Need to let 1/2-quart to 3/4-quart of oil out of the van's oil pan, as the fellow who did the mechanical work has a habit of over-filling stuff (first the transmission fluid and now the oil), but I can't be crawling under vehicles for another 3/4-day. (So says the Doc... What does he know?).

I suspect clubbing some larger salmon in the head, slitting the gills with a razor-sharp knife, and putting their clean, trimmed flesh into a heavily iced, super-insulated cooler might brighten my otherwise somewhat gray disposition. I guess I'll find out.

Last edited:

moose eater

how have you been brother?

Fucked up a bit (*see above post), but not in the more desirable ways.

Trying to score some decent, affordable, breathable rain gear pants as I don't want to fuck up my chest waders on sharp rocks, and I don't wear hip waders or chest waders on that river; they'll fill with water if you stumble and kill you in short order. I know of several who thought such waders were a good idea, who are no longer among us. Blue jeans, sneakers or mud/fishing/boat boots, and some decent karma.... and a 50-ft rope with 2.5 to 3 times your body weight in stress rating tied decently around your waist in a harness configuration, while wearing a proven life vest. Best suit-up I know of down there in that canyon...

PSA yesterday indicates Murphy still wants me in the ground, despite radiation. Fuck him, though there's been times when he and I might've been on the same page in that regard.

Just turned on the sprinkler in the spud field, as, despite it sprinkling, that's another arena wherein Murphy reigns supreme. If you water the shit out of that field, it'll rain immediately thereafter. And if you don't water it because it looks like rain, the rain will be shortly or soon curtailed, and the field then lacks water. Trying to head Murphy off at the pass is a full-time job.

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
Fucked up a bit (*see above post), but not in the more desirable ways.

Trying to score some decent, affordable, breathable rain gear pants as I don't want to fuck up my chest waders on sharp rocks, and I don't wear hip waders or chest waders on that river; they'll fill with water if you stumble and kill you in short order. I know of several who thought such waders were a good idea, who are no longer among us. Blue jeans, sneakers or mud/fishing/boat boots, and some decent karma.... and a 50-ft rope with 2.5 to 3 times your body weight in stress rating tied decently around your waist, while wearing a proven life vest. Best suit-up I know of down there in that canyon...

PSA yesterday indicates Murphy still wants me in the ground, despite radiation. Fuck him, though there's been times when he and I might've been on the same page in that regard.

Just turned on the sprinkler in the spud field, as, despite it sprinkling, that's another arena wherein Murphy reigns supreme. If you water the shit out of that field, it'll rain immediately thereafter. And if you don't water it because it looks like rain, the rain will be shortly or soon curtailed, and the field then lacks water. Trying to head Murphy off at the pass is a full-time job.

take care of them taters man!

i usually wear those 511 pants in the backcountry, they repel water ok and are durable, but i dont know if they are up to your needs
blue jeans are always nice, but they get heavy when they get wet
f' that murphy guy; you aint going down easy

moose eater

take care of them taters man!

i usually wear those 511 pants in the backcountry, they repel water ok and are durable, but i dont know if they are up to your needs
blue jeans are always nice, but they get heavy when they get wet
f' that murphy guy; you aint going down easy

I'm more Irish than anything else. The way some folks in the USA feel when they hear the National Anthem? That's how I feel when I consider the history of 'my people' living under the tyrant kings' abusive thumbs, and their surviving on spuds, sometimes as much as 8 lbs. per day per Irishman.

It's an honorary root crop here, pop. The plant that saved my people, and without which, had they not made it, I literally wouldn't be here, for better or for worse.

And we grow some spoiled, tasty, high starch heirloom spuds; this year's crop consists of French Fingerlings, German Butterballs, and Yellow Finn. Bad for my glucose but good for my soul, heart, and spirit.

Latest posts

Latest posts