What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

Life pre internet was not better, in my opinion
Mixed bag.

Youngsters with questionable adolescent histories could have all of that wiped away at 18 in most states (take me, for example), and when they reached a job interview or a border crossing, or requested specific high profile permits, there wasn't someone there who knew more about them then they did. (*I once told US Customs I couldn't recall what time of day I was born, my family were all dead, and someone was helping with a star chart; could they help me with the time of day I was born, adjusted for time zone changes?).

And there've been many times when the convenience of the computer era was far less than convenient. I've threatened my computer's screen with serious injury more than once, and they don't even give you the satisfaction of trembling, wincing, or getting on task quickly.

But spread sheets and retention of large volumes of photos and links that don't require a huge storage box are kinda' cool features.

On the other hand, if back in the day the authorities wanted to know what you were up to, it typically involved a vehicle with staff in it, and a local phone tap, (emphasis on 'local'), or they had to break in and go through your personal effects. Now they can flip a switch remotely. Or literally listen through almost any device, including your computer, that has a speaker attached to it.

moose eater

Mixed bag.

Youngsters with questionable adolescent histories could have all of that wiped away at 18 in most states (take me, for example), and when they reached a job interview or a border crossing, or requested specific high profile permits, there wasn't someone there who knew more about them then they did. (*I once told US Customs I couldn't recall what time of day I was born, my family were all dead, and someone was helping with a star chart; could they help me with the time of day I was born, adjusted for time zone changes?).

And there've been many times when the convenience of the computer era was far less than convenient. I've threatened my computer's screen with serious injury more than once, and they don't even give you the satisfaction of trembling, wincing, or getting on task quickly.

But spread sheets and retention of large volumes of photos and links that don't require a huge storage box are kinda' cool features.

On the other hand, if back in the day the authorities wanted to know what you were up to, it typically involved a vehicle with staff in it, and a local phone tap, (emphasis on 'local'), or they had to break in and go through your personal effects. Now they can flip a switch remotely. Or literally listen through almost any device, including your computer, that has a speaker attached to it.