What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

shithawk420

Veteran
Here's the chicken.i don't know what it is.they said they didn't have Moo goo Gai pan and gave us this.at least they didn't give us anything spicey.i know how spicey those damn chillies are
20240916_172021.jpg

shithawk420

Veteran
good thing i didnt have to piss. had my last tallboy in the car i was nursing.i woulda been like a chicken with my head cut off looking for a damn bathroom.maybe thats where the dogs and cats and pets are. IM JUST KIDDING!!

moose eater

Here's the chicken.i don't know what it is.they said they didn't have Moo goo Gai pan and gave us this.at least they didn't give us anything spicey.i know how spicey those damn chillies are View attachment 19067767
My last medical visit to Anchorage I tried a new-to-me Vietnamese restaurant, 'Pho Vietnam' in/near Mountain View, not far from the clinic my last visit was at and very close to the hotel I've been using for such visits.. Good stuff, reasonable pricing, and very friendly people.

I had the Asian crispy-fried pork belly in green curry with coconut milk and veggies. It was really good, but too rich, as the crispy-fried pork bellies are loaded with rich fat, and when joined with the coconut milk it was a bit much. Almost like I'd imagine drinking butter would be.

I knew before my order even came out that I should've gotten either the squid or the lamb in the same preparation, but by then it was too late.

I also got their house version of 'summer rolls' (fresh spring rolls), that had both shrimp and chicken in them, as well as the usual contents..

The young man at the counter helped me to find the nearest dispensary that had the thinnest white Zig Zag rolling papers, too.

I'll be going back there on a future trip.

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
My last medical visit to Anchorage I tried a new-to-me Vietnamese restaurant, 'Pho Vietnam' in/near Mountain View, not far from the clinic my last visit was at and very close to the hotel I've been using for such visits.. Good stuff, reasonable pricing, and very friendly people.

I had the Asian crispy-fried pork belly in green curry with coconut milk and veggies. It was really good, but too rich, as the crispy-fried pork bellies are loaded with rich fat, and when joined with the coconut milk it was a bit much. Almost like I'd imagine drinking butter would be.

I knew before my order even came out that I should've gotten either the squid or the lamb in the same preparation, but by then t was too late.

I also got their hose version of 'summer rolls' (fresh spring rolls), that had both shrimp and chicken in them, as well as the usual contents..

The young man at the counter helped me to find the nearest dispensary that had the thinnest white Zig Zag rolling papers, too.

it was a Viet,chinese and japanese place. i didnt see pork belly cause i would of got that for sure. not a fan of coconut milk though and like you sad that sounds rich as hell.you like squid huh? doesnt really taste like anything to me. deep fried i can see.I was joking and laughing with my mom. i wonder how the "Princess Beef" tastes! lmfao the fuck is princess beef!?

moose eater

it was a Viet,chinese and japanese place. i didnt see pork belly cause i would of got that for sure. not a fan of coconut milk though and like you sad that sounds rich as hell.you like squid huh? doesnt really taste like anything to me. deep fried i can see.I was joking and laughing with my mom. i wonder how the "Princess Beef" tastes! lmfao the fuck is princess beef!?
They did a bit of Thai food there, as well.

Squid flavor depends a bit on who processed it and how. Many of the sources for squid in the US seem to figure they need to wash the stuff until it has no flavor, and I agree with you on that issue. I prefer it to be cleaned enough to cook without worrying about non-edibles being included, and leave the original flavor in there, maybe with a bit of tenderizing.

When we do a deluxe red curry Thai stir-fry at home, which is coming the day after tomorrow, I typically do Patagonian wild-caught red shrimp, wild-caught squid (is there any other kind?), and large to colossal wild-caught sea scallops with coconut milk, ginger, garlic, kafir lime leaves, mushrooms, sweet peppers, sweet onions, snow peas (not a Thai thing, but I like them), broccoli, and maybe some carrots.

This time of year, the snow peas, broccoli, carrots, and any sliced cabbage, as well as green onions, come in fresh from the garden.

shithawk420

Veteran
They did a bit of Thai food there, as well.

Squid flavor depends a bit on who processed it and how. Many of the sources for squid in the US seem to figure they need to wash the stuff until it has no flavor, and I agree with you on that issue. I prefer it to be cleaned enough to cook without worrying about non-edibles being included, and leave the original flavor in there, maybe with a bit of tenderizing.

When we do a deluxe red curry Thai stir-fry at home, which is coming the day after tomorrow, I typically do Patagonian wild-caught red shrimp, wild-caught squid (is there any other kind?), and large to colossal wild-caught sea scallops with coconut milk, ginger, garlic, kafir lime leaves, mushrooms, sweet peppers, sweet onions, snow peas (not a Thai thing, but I like them), broccoli, and maybe some carrots.

This time of year, the snow peas, broccoli, carrots, and any sliced cabbage, as well as green onions, come in fresh from the garden.
holy shit colossal scallops? now that sounds expensive. yeah i was taught to not wash meat. if its not bad it shouldnt need to be washed. seafood yeah that probably needs to be washed. theres a couple decent looking seafood places. IMO halibut is the king of fish but i bet you know all about halibut. ive only had it a few times.i hope to have it again. im broke.maybe next month

moose eater

holy shit colossal scallops? now that sounds expensive. yeah i was taught to not wash meat. if its not bad it shouldnt need to be washed. seafood yeah that probably needs to be washed. theres a couple decent looking seafood places. IMO halibut is the king of fish but i bet you know all about halibut. ive only had it a few times.i hope to have it again. im broke.maybe next month
I think a 2-lb. bag of large sea scallops at Costco at the moment are in the neighborhood of $36 or so.

I use maybe a third of a bag of those, and a lb. or so of the shrimp, and 2-4 of the calamar steaks cut into 2" x 1/2" strips in our Thai red curry stir-fries.

So figure about $12 worth of scallops, and the calamari were the steaks I wrote about months ago, when Costco was selling what they had and not carrying them anymore, so I got those for maybe $2/lb.,

The Patagonia wild-caught shrimp, either in a 10-30 count, headed and shelled (raw) or the 13-15 count Patagonia wild-caught colossal red shrimp with an easy peel shell, but headed and raw, are both in the vicinity of $10/lb., using about a half-lb. or a bit more of the shrimp.

We end up with 2+ days' worth of deluxe stir-fry for maybe $26 or so in seafood, a bit of seasonings (the kafir lime leaves are not a great deal anymore, as there are fewer leaves in a frozen bag and the price is up a bit), and whatever we need to buy in veggies, though we usually get a lb. and a half or so of organic button top mushrooms for $6 to $7, and use maybe a third of a container of those.

Bottom line is, if you know how to cook (and I know you do, 'hawk) and you know how to buy reasonably priced grub, you can cook incredible meals at home for a pittance of what it would cost you to order more questionable food going out to eat.

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club

I knew before my order even came out that I should've gotten either the squid or the lamb in the same preparation, but by then t was too late.

I also got their hose version of 'summer rolls' (fresh spring rolls), that had both shrimp and chicken in them, as well as the usual contents..

oh man you should have got the pho (pronounced fuhh here in san diego)
pho is a soup and it is pretty good, it should taste a little like mint and secret chinese spices plus whatever toppings you get on it and noodles
its an awesome thing to eat when its cold and grey outside
/you ever have those kind of days?

moose eater

oh man you should have got the pho (pronounced fuhh here in san diego)
pho is a soup and it is pretty good, it should taste a little like mint and secret chinese spices plus whatever toppings you get on it and noodles
its an awesome thing to eat when its cold and grey outside
/you ever have those kind of days?
I never order Pho or Ramen due to the carbs in the noodles. I figure I'm pressing my luck with the cut up tiny noodles in the fresh spring rolls with the rice wrapper around them.

When it's cloudy and rainy here, or just a plain old day, my go-to Asian soup is a Szechuan Hot-Sour soup, with tofu, pork, chicken, bamboo shoots, egg drop, and more. The spicier the better, and with a discernible sour to it. Enough soy sauce in it to taste it, but not overwhelming.

shithawk420

Veteran
I think a 2-lb. bag of large sea scallops at Costco at the moment are in the neighborhood of $36 or so.

I use maybe a third of a bag of those, and a lb. or so of the shrimp, and 2-4 of the calamar steaks cut into 2" x 1/2" strips in our Thai red curry stir-fries.

So figure about $5 to $6 worth of scallops, and the calamari were the steaks I wrote about months ago, when Costco was selling what they had and not carrying them anymore, so I got those for maybe $2/lb.,

The Patagonia wild-caught shrimp, either in a 10-30 count, headed and shelled (raw) or the 13-15 count Patagonia wild-caught colossal red shrimp with an easy peel shell, but headed and raw, are both in the vicinity of $10/lb., using about a half-lb. or a bit more of the shrimp.

We end up with 2+ days' worth of deluxe stir-fry for maybe $20 or so in seafood, a bit of seasonings (the kafir lime leaves are not a great deal anymore, as there are fewer leaves in a frozen bag and the price is up a bit), and whatever we need to buy in veggies, though we usually get a lb. and a half or so of organic button top mushrooms for $6 to $7, and use maybe a third of a container of those.

Bottom line is, if you know how to cook (and I know you do, 'hawk) and you know how to buy reasonably priced grub, you can cook incredible meals at home for a pittance of what it would cost you to order more questionable food going out to eat.
i apologize if im meandering but i just remembered seeing this documentary,perhaps i even mentioned it to you before.it was about the most expensive little grocery store in Alaska.its like $10 for a jar of peanut butter and its in the middle of no where.i dont know how you do it.no wonder you guys grow and hunt your own.for $10 for a jar of peanut butter id probably just never eat and drink myself to death. not that i havent come very close before lol

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club

So figure about $12 worth of scallops, and the calamari were the steaks I wrote about months ago, when Costco was selling what they had and not carrying them anymore, so I got those for maybe $2/lb.,

We end up with 2+ days' worth of deluxe stir-fry for maybe $26 or so in seafood, a bit of seasonings (the kafir lime leaves are not a great deal anymore, as there are fewer leaves in a frozen bag and the price is up a bit), and whatever we need to buy in veggies, though we usually get a lb. and a half or so of organic button top mushrooms for $6 to $7, and use maybe a third of a container of those.

mind if i stop by for dinner?
beaver grocery.gif

moose eater

i apologize if im meandering but i just remembered seeing this documentary,perhaps i even mentioned it to you before.it was about the most expensive little grocery store in Alaska.its like $10 for a jar of peanut butter and its in the middle of no where.i dont know how you do it.no wonder you guys grow and hunt your own.for $10 for a jar of peanut butter id probably just never eat and drink myself to death. not that i havent come very close before lol
Stores in remote villages are often very expensive. They typically rely on air freight on charters for the smaller villages when they order their groceries in.

Even in somewhat remote hubs, like the village that used to be called Barrow (Utqiaġvik) or places like Kotzebue, both of which are somewhat remote 'hubs' as villages go, like Bethel, if you look up info on Google (assuming they have such information, check out what -they- pay for a gallon of milk or a lb. of butter in those places.

Fairbanks and Anchorage are a lot closer to Seattle prices, but a little bit more or less depending on the items..

4 years ago, a gallon of milk in Barrow was nearly $14. As you get out into much smaller communities/villages, the prices go up. (Edit: So does the weed and alcohol).

Last edited:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
I never order Pho or Ramen due to the carbs in the noodles. I figure I'm pressing my luck with the cut up tiny noodles in the fresh spring rolls with the rice wrapper around them.

When it's cloudy and rainy here, or just a plain old day, my go-to Asian soup is a Szechuan Hot-Sour soup, with tofu, pork, chicken, bamboo shoots, egg drop, and more. The spicier the better, and with a discernible sour to it. Enough soy sauce in it to taste it, but not overwhelming.
a good hot and sour soup hits the spot! on a cold day
like you said, sweet, salty, spicy with a little bamboo crunch
i also like tofu
tfoo.jpg

moose eater

i think hes cute. you ever eat beaver moose? the animal not the pussy! isnt beaver tail a delicacy?
First time we made beaver and beans was in Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada either late 1977 or very early 1978, (for 44 people, I'd add), someone soaked and cooked the dried beans properly, someone forgot to remove the scent glands from the beaver (a huge "Ooops!!", which made the entire dish more or less inedible unless you were starving, and even then...), and someone else added too much salt.

Beaver is usually completely edible, and not bad meat at all, but REMOVE the scent glands!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts