What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

xtsho

Tayberries and some raspberries behind and on the right. Tayberries are a cross between a raspberry and a blackberry. It sounded neat years ago when I bought the plants but both straight raspberries and blackberries are better than this hybrid in my opinion. I wish I had planted something else like Marionberries or more raspberries. Now I can't bring myself to tear them out.

tayberry06232024.jpg

The blueberries are doing good. They went on a growth spurt from much better light after I cut down the disease ridden peach tree that I had been trying to save for years. It just got decimated with peach leaf curl. I sprayed everything you could throw at it to no avail. I finally broke out the ladder and the saw. All that's left is the trunk which I'm going to hang a couple bird feeders from

They need a good trimming. I didn't get to it at the right time this year so had to be postponed until next year..

blueberry06232024.jpg

oldmaninbc

Picked about a gallon of peas this morning from one of the spots I planted them in. This spot is done. Gonna give a couple days for the stragglers then rip them out and plant something else. We had a couple 90 degree days that finished them off. I have a couple spots where I started some later and the heat didn't affect the younger plants. Now that we're cooling off and will be in the mid 70°f range for awhile those should make it to harvest before it heats back up again.

View attachment 19021911

I grow lettuce in small nursery pots of coco off the ground. It keeps the slugs and many other pests away. It keeps the lettuce clean except for a few needles that fall from the fir trees in the back.

View attachment 19021915

Potatoes The tall ones are Yukon gold and the shorter ones are russets. The russets were store bought potatoes that sprouted and the Yukon's are from seed potato I bought at a nursery and were planted quite a bit after the russets. They sure grew fast. I carefully dug around next to one of the russets and found some decent sized potatoes. But they have awhile to go unless I dig some baby potatoes which I just might do.

View attachment 19021916

Pole beans I call this my Bean Machine.

View attachment 19021917

Bush beans, rutabagas, beets, and cilantro. The beets are getting buried by the beans. I planted things much too close. I let the cilantro go to seed each year and harvest the coriander seeds for culinary purposes.

View attachment 19021918
That is a well tended garden. Great job.

oldmaninbc

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the plant in the center of the photo. I would like to correct the problem. I am not familiar with growing bulbs, someone gave my wife a couple of bulbs.

The solar light you see in the photo does not come on because the yard light at night is too bright.
1719516269867.jpeg

oldmaninbc

What species of plant is it?
My wife told she thinks it's a lily but I have no idea. She was visiting a friend and one of their neighbors asked if she would like a couple of bulbs, that's all I know. I don't usually have problems in my garden, however, I have never grown a plant from a bulb. So I am at a loss for a correction.

cellardwellar420

Hello fellow IC magers!

Besides growing Ganja for the winter months a lot of us put our gardening skills to use growing food for the table as well. Every year I look forward to putting in a garden. Last year was a great grow season with bumper harvests. Weather carrots, corn or ganga, horticulture is in my blood. To preserve put away and grow your own food is very rewarding and healthy. The vegetable garden always gets just as much attention if not more than the ganga and just as rewarding. Feel free to show off your edibles here.

EDIT: Thanks for all the positive vibes from everyone who has visited and contributed to this thread! Starting this thread I was going to keep it to just the vegetable gardening, but ended up including fruits, animals & even the bounty from a fishing trip! So I encourage people to share their ideas and experiences. As long as it is earthy and fun, please share it! Here are pictures of 2012 gardens. 2013 gardens start kicking off good on page 13. Thanks for joining in, and have fun!!!

picture.php
picture.php
:peacock:
Very beutiful!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

FletchF.Fletch

420club
My wife told she thinks it's a lily but I have no idea. She was visiting a friend and one of their neighbors asked if she would like a couple of bulbs, that's all I know. I don't usually have problems in my garden, however, I have never grown a plant from a bulb. So I am at a loss for a correction.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with the plant in the center of the photo. I would like to correct the problem. I am not familiar with growing bulbs, someone gave my wife a couple of bulbs.

The solar light you see in the photo does not come on because the yard light at night is too bright.
View attachment 19024030

Some bulbs go dormant after completing the bloom/growth cycle. They flower then grow, to transfer and store energy in the bulb for the next year. The green growth dies back as this occurs. You can dig them up, store them over winter, then replant in Spring. Often, they will naturalize and become perennials in the garden if left in the ground, but it depends on species/variety and it's hardiness in relation to your outdoor growing climate.

I can't tell which it is, do you remember what the bloom looked like?

Timj

View attachment 19024030
It looks similar to the banana plant Dequilo grows in a container. But, your leaves are alternating and his leaves look spiraled.

xtsho

Garden and trees are giving me abundance this year! Blueberries, Strawberries and Cherries.
View attachment 19041903
Putting together some hydro indoor strawberries...the Quinault variety. Started them from some bare root cuts.
View attachment 19041904
Have a sweet day all.
Peace, negative.

I've been growing Hood Strawberries for years but they're June-Bearing and have one good flush of berries and then they're done. I have six everbearing Quinalts in one gallon pots and am still picking berries. The Seascapes which are day neutral are still producing well with very large berries.

xtsho

Todays harvest. I got behind picking the beans but they're still tender. I grew some yellow wax this year. The lady and I can't keep up with the blueberries and I've already frozen a ton of them. Should get another gallon or two.

I'm going to have to start giving away cucumbers and squash as there is no way the lady and I will be able to eat them all. Having strawberry shortcake for desert tonight.

My Little Fingers eggplant is just starting to get going. It got buried with the rutabagas that I'm going to dig up today so hopefully it will start kicking them out once it's not crowded out and shaded somewhat from the sun.

harvest08022024.jpg

The corn is starting to tassel.

corn08022024.jpg

oldmaninbc

Some bulbs go dormant after completing the bloom/growth cycle. They flower then grow, to transfer and store energy in the bulb for the next year. The green growth dies back as this occurs. You can dig them up, store them over winter, then replant in Spring. Often, they will naturalize and become perennials in the garden if left in the ground, but it depends on species/variety and it's hardiness in relation to your outdoor growing climate.

I can't tell which it is, do you remember what the bloom looked like?
No, I couldn't tell you anything about them. My wife was visiting a friend and their neighbor offered her a couple of bulbs, told her to plant them a few inches deep and that's all I know. Now 1 of them has died and 1 remains, it seems to be healthy, not as vigorous as the one that died but it's alive.
Soon will be digging up the Iris around that plant(bulb) to give to our neighbor.

I hope the bulb survives, so there is the possibility if I just leave the bulb in over winter, it will regrow come spring?

I have never stored bulbs before.

oldmaninbc

It looks similar to the banana plant Dequilo grows in a container. But, your leaves are alternating and his leaves look spiraled.
It's suppose to be a Lily, 1 of the 2 has survived. I hope it makes it. I was wondering if I had over watered the ground. All the other plants in that bed are fine, I don't know.

xtsho

It's suppose to be a Lily, 1 of the 2 has survived. I hope it makes it. I was wondering if I had over watered the ground. All the other plants in that bed are fine, I don't know.

Lilies can take a lot of water but there has to be good drainage. Soil can stay pretty wet but if it's completely waterlogged where the water just sits bulbs can rot.

So many plants look similar and from pictures it's exceptionally hard to identify a plant unless they have obvious characteristics. That somewhat looks like an Elephant Ear.

1722630257812.png

Timj

Possibly a Canna lilly? I grow several varieties of lilies. But, have never grown a Canna Lilly. From what I've read over watering can lead to root rot.

CocoNut 420

I got an apple tree late in the season last year it hadn' been maintained and needed some care.
20240727_151539.jpg

I'd never pruned anything except weed but that didn't put me off trying.

I'm starting to enjoy working on it but I'm not too fussy about apples so I'm going to graft a plum tree to it next year.

I'm planning on growing cherry tomatoes next year, I've got some started so I know what to expect.
20240801_161322.jpg

There's 5 seedlings all in, can anyone tell me if I'm likely to get fruit?
I've accepted I won't but only so I'm not disappointed 😂 deep down I'm hoping for fruit?

A few flowers I've snapped out walking.
20240717_162031.jpg

20240601_175158.jpg

The vibrant colours are stunning 😍

Last edited:

CocoNut 420

Can anyone tell me if I have time left in the season to grow tomatoes from seed? (56/57 degrees lat)

We normally we get frost in early October but they're going to be in a greenhouse, I'm prepared not to get fruit but it would be nice?

Latest posts

Latest posts