What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

xtsho

Can anyone tell me if I have time left in the season to grow tomatoes from seed? (56/57 degrees lat)

We normally we get frost in early October but they're going to be in a greenhouse, I'm prepared not to get fruit but it would be nice?

I don't think you can do it from seed this time of year unless you can keep them warm and supplement the daylight. I could be wrong though. I still have volunteers popping up around the garden. I would think that a cherry variety would give you the best chance.

Good luck.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Takes about 3 months to get fruits with the fastest varieties. So.. chances are you will get little to no fruits, since they are a warm season crop and won't do much under 15C, in the fall.

xtsho

Canned another six pints of beans today. Brings the total to 16. I think I can get another dozen at least as I planted in a few different places weeks apart and some are just starting to bloom so more on the way. I've given some away and we've been eating them as well.

I'm surprised how much a 3 x 4 ft area of bush beans produced. They were loaded this year. The pole beans are just getting ready to pick as well. As soon as the bush beans are done I'll plant beets and maybe some kale. I'm going to get as much growing season out of the small space I have as I can.

I really want a couple acres of land so I can grow all I need for a year. The lady and I have been looking at places farther out from the city but damn the prices are up there for anything connected to utilities. There's property for cheap but if it doesn't have water, electricity, etc... it's not really an option.

cannedbeans08032024.jpg

acespicoli

Can anyone tell me if I have time left in the season to grow tomatoes from seed? (56/57 degrees lat)

We normally we get frost in early October but they're going to be in a greenhouse, I'm prepared not to get fruit but it would be nice?
If you still have tomato plants? Maybe try some cuttings ;) Two foot deep green manure might keep your greenhouse warm all winter :thinking:

right

Yes, gogi berries are perennial. These ones are organic. They seem to handle neglect. And they are very different. I eat them for my health

CocoNut 420

There's a few apples blown off its been autumn like.
20240915_162106.jpg

I doubt they'll fruit now frost isn't far away its getting down to 3c during the night.
20240910_181334.jpg
20240903_125701.jpg

The idea was to get a time frame for seedlings to work from next year so I've got that at least.

Latest posts

Latest posts