What's new

Violeta

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I don't think I've ever been mentioned in a separate thread before, so thanks for making me feel special.

The PCK x PanamaDC (PDK) is a project close to my heart. Was the first real cross I ever did, and I've redone it about 4 times at this point.

At one point, I crossed Malawi x PCK and PDK v1 girls to a PCK male, and there was lots of color. Very pronounced purpling in the veins, growing outward, full purple flowers. The stuff you want to see. Here's one of the Malawi x PCK x PCK from that pollination
View attachment 19061470

I recently did another Malawi x PCK x PCK cross with different parents and it's there too. The Malawi x PCK and other PCK crosses can and will throw out some really colorful individuals, but that backcross (of sorts) really finishes the job.

The purpler PCK isn't always the loudest or most flavorful, so a strong, terpy mother from the whatever x PCK is a good idea since the PCK alone won't be adding a ton.

Indeed, I haven't grown the Violeta, but based on what I've seen, Ace did a great job with that one. Would probably make a great line to work a bit towards the colorful side, adding better structure and flavor to the PCK. Basically creating an 'improved' PCK to use as the base purple parent stock in future crosses. That's kind of my plan, at least.

Here's a girl I'm currently growing from the recent Malawi x PCK x PCK cross. I've had some issues in the garden, but they're showing the color well.
View attachment 19061471

Excellent efforts and results with your PCK hybrids @kamyo friend ;)

When a breeder is considering crossing two different strains, it can be challenging to determine which specific parent plant combinations and positions will be superior at each breeding step.

For example, with two different lines of regular seeds, A and B, the possible combinations could be A female x B male, B female x A male, A female x B female (reversed), or B female x A female (reversed). And many more if you have many females and males, as happens in real breeding.

Results can vary significantly with each combination, and all should be progeny tested in the same cycle to determine the best possible combination for the given goals and available parent plants.

Yes, Violeta is mainly a dominant purple PCK hybrid. The addition of Malawi contributes with vigor, yield, and improves the flower structure and flower leaf ratio of the Pakistani. Violeta retains the essence of the purple PCK—its shape, flowering times, resistances, terpene profiles, colors, appearance, and overall personality— while Malawi, being very recessive for almost everything in Violeta, enhances these traits with its vigor.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Have you ever done a Violeta x Panama type cross?

I've had a plan for a Violeta x Panama D.C. line for ages now. It must be at least five years ago when I bought the seed stock for it.

I know @kamyo has been working PCK and Panama D.C. together, and I think he had an idea to cross that line with Malawi x PCK at some point too(?) A super cool project that has been very interesting to follow, but I'm under the impression that he hasn't worked with Violeta (as of yet).

But yeah, my idea is to build plants with pole-like form plus colourful and plump bracts, ready for hashing after a simple deleaf. For our personal enjoyment, and as a nod toward the Spanish scene too.

If you have crossed Violeta with a Panama-based line, were some of the results unexpected? And what kind of traits of Violeta should be prevalent in the progeny of that kind of cross?

Hi @FellaAndrene We haven't done Violeta x Panama yet, although we did F1s between Panama and PCK, which is close. Reiterating the above in previous post with another example how important is the position of parent plant in a given cross. Purple PCK 2002 x Panama Goddes reversed produced mostly mutated F1 offspring from seedling stage, while the opposite: Panama Goddess x Purple PCK 2002 produced an excellent sativa/indica F1 hybrid with all the good traits and without the health genetic problems hidden in PCK family.

sgka

Veteran
Looking great passing mid flowering @sgka :) glad you are happy with the idea of having a green and a purple pheno from your 2 plants. The purple shows really intense pigmentation of good flower/leaf ratio and slight sativa influence. The green pheno looks like best green PCK expressions, but on steroids! Great main cola and dense flowers :yes:

How many days are they into flowering ?
How would you describe their terpene profiles now heading to maturation ?
@dubi that was week 5. They are now day 45 (no new photos).

The purple pheno is very berry grapey. It's a little light on the density that I'd prefer, and it's flopping all over. I can't reach the greener (but still purple) pheno, so no news on that. I will likely trash the purple pheno as I have 3 others mothers ready to throw into the mix, though she shows no sign of slowing down. Depending on her final attributes I may change my mind. She is also very nutrient sensitive which is throwing my single reservoir system off. The green pheno will pass the test for now.

Malawi x PCK has been prepped to replace these. I moved them from 1gals where they've lived for months, into 10s, and they will be vegging for 4 weeks before being launched into flower.

Will post pics this weekend for a Violeta update

Last edited:

sgka

Veteran
Update, week 7:
Violeta 2, developing more purple color:
IMG_9141.jpeg

IMG_9142.jpeg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
The 'greener' is finally catching up with the deep purple @sgka :love: great, vigor and yield on her for Violeta strain. The purple pheno from the start is finaly bulking upthough not a big yielder like her sister.
Best selections are always made based on quality of their finished product.

sgka

Veteran
The 'greener' is finally catching up with the deep purple @sgka :love: great, vigor and yield on her for Violeta strain. The purple pheno from the start is finaly bulking upthough not a big yielder like her sister.
Best selections are always made based on quality of their finished product.
Agreed @dubi. Well see how the smoke is, but initial gut reaction after 20 years of growing is to cull the purple form start. There are two more violeta phenos I need to run, so maybe there's a grand slam in there.

Latest posts

Latest posts