What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

usually, how often do you water your cannabis growth?

El Timbo

yes, I grow them in soil in pots. what's the frequency for watering?

The frequency depends on factors such as - size of pot v plant, temperature, relative humidity, wind/air movement, intensity of light, soil composition so it's impossible to say "every day" or "every second day".

I like to wait until the soil is almost dry in the whole pot - as mr.bruch says, you can use the weight of the pot to judge this. The soil may be dry on the surface but if you lift the pot you can feel if there is water deeper down.

BuenaLaRata

With small pots, it is very easy to recognize when the soil is drying out. With larger pots, you can lift them slightly to tell from their weight whether there is still enough moisture in them or whether it is time to water. With a little experience you can roughly estimate the intervals, depending very much on the lighting and climatic conditions in your grow environment.

El Timbo

I'd like to add that when they are very young you have to be more careful about not letting them fully dry out as they will have much less stored water than larger plants - at the same time don't keep the soil constantly soaked. The best way for a beginner is to spend as much time with them as you can - watch them.

cannayang

With small pots, it is very easy to recognize when the soil is drying out. With larger pots, you can lift them slightly to tell from their weight whether there is still enough moisture in them or whether it is time to water. With a little experience you can roughly estimate the intervals, depending very much on the lighting and climatic conditions in your grow environment.
thanks you for sharing!

cannayang

I'd like to add that when they are very young you have to be more careful about not letting them fully dry out as they will have much less stored water than larger plants - at the same time don't keep the soil constantly soaked. The best way for a beginner is to spend as much time with them as you can - watch them.
Yes, taking more time and attentions for getting better harvest!

Hasch

learning and laughing
What kind of pots are you using?

Pots with aeration through the sides?
Like airpots or fabric pots (bags)?

Rocket Soul

As a general advice to someone who hasnt got this right yet: less frequent than you think.

Learn to recognize the signs of drying pot, saggy leaves which then wilts in short time, or even leaves that point straight down. When you see this lift the pot to get an idea of how light it is, lift another pot to compare. Once you can see the signs and recognize weight of a dry pot its easy

Last edited:

CannaZen

I water after a dry period, this is good for relation with beneficial bacteria/fungus and plant but not too long. 3 days dry. Then I like to make sure with established plants that whole soil is wet. Rain water here the amount of rainfall does a better job not letting soil nutrients leech while my soil absorbs a lot of water. But my soil has composted outside for years in the pot and is composed of a potting soil that was full of bark and things.

Rocket Soul

I water after a dry period, this is good for relation with beneficial bacteria/fungus and plant but not too long. 3 days dry. Then I like to make sure with established plants that whole soil is wet. Rain water here the amount of rainfall does a better job not letting soil nutrients leech while my soil absorbs a lot of water. But my soil has composted outside for years in the pot and is composed of a potting soil that was full of bark and things.
Drought stress, in a limited way, has also been shown to increase cannabinoids.

cannayang

As a general advice to someone who hasnt got this right yet: less frequent than you think.

Learn to recognize the signs of drying pot, saggy leaves which then wilts in short time, or even leaves that point straight down. When you see this lift the pot to get an idea of how light it is, lift another pot to compare. Once you can see the signs and recognize weight of a dry pot its easy
thank you!