What's new

Toyota FJ land cruiser?

Just saw one today completely smashed up. Looked completely totalled with no possibility of repair. Plastic on a cold morning... shatters. Hardly any glass left on the passenger side, and then the shocking revelation:

This accident occured at 45 mph when the driver smacked a deer. No the deer didn't survive either, but you'd think a car should have.

Don't know the experience of the driver, looks like they tried to avoid the deer, smacked it anyway and went onto the embankment which caused it to roll onto its side.

I have seen one of these in its unblemished state... the wife absolutely loves these, but there are just tiny little things about it that make me laugh. All the plastic for one. That third wiper blade right in the middle of the windshield looks like a pain to change out. MASSIVE blind spot on both sides when your in the driver seat and looking over either shoulder.

The only new truck I'm seeking these days is a late '40s early '50s Chevy or GMC pick up body. Only need the body, I'll build a frame and I have a Vortec V6 to put under the hood. I'll use the 1/2 ton axles from the Blazer and of course put a transfer case in for mild 4 wheel drive action on snow days.

The Blazer will get 1 ton axles and suspension and become a hunter's dream. The Jeep will get a minor overhaul, talking with a bro about a fuel injected V6 he has for it. But I digress....

The new FJ doesn't suit my style or needs. Still haven't gotten more than a "it looks cool" from my wife to influence any purchasing decisions. Just my .02 on it all though. :wave:

SC

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
i was thinking about the FORD F250 CREW-CAB down the line, any thoughts or opinions on that one, as far as the FJ cruiser, there are better offroad/suv model cars out there

NOKUY

Veteran
sup SC :wave:

thanks 4 chiming in..!

yeah plastic and cold dont ever mix, and peeps should know better than to swerve for wildlife in the road.

I'm def. not gonna get spanky new FJ cruiser....tho I was very tempted.

your projects sound nice...we should have a thread about offroad vehicles/projects.

I hate working on cars, but I do when I have to, and if I get a subaru brat I'll be askin shit here all day since i dont really frequent any other forums.

...and I am def. gonna build a "beast"...ill try for the link, but its a homemade ATV that puts most atv's to shame

G

I'm not a fan of all the plastic, and all the electronic shit that new cars have. I need metal, and something that I can easily work on.

Only FJ I'd ever own

bcates.jpg

NOKUY

Veteran
GardenDweller said:
I'm not a fan of all the plastic, and all the electronic shit that new cars have. I need metal, and something that I can easily work on.

Only FJ I'd ever own

bcates.jpg

sick truk....id roll that all day

FrankRizzo

Listen to me jerky
That is pretty crazy looking brat. I remember reading a review of that FJ and they said there was lots of road noise because of the boxy shape. It's not very aerodynamic. They also said it got crap for gas mileage.

G

That would be alot of work, but talk about a fu cking blast it would be.

Nokuy- Since you already have a truck, a subaru would best. I have a buddy thats going to stuff a diesel in a late 80's-early 90's subaru and run bio in it.

NOKUY

Veteran
marx2k said:
This thing looks awful. I mean, to each their own, but the only people driving these things around here are suburban 30-something's trying to hang onto their last bit of youth in a wife-approved vehicle. I know it's a remake of the old FJ Cruiser, but it's really, really ugly. Not even because of the roof (though that does add to it), but overall I just find it to be ridiculous looking. But again, to each their own. I'd say if you just got done paying off one expensive vehicle, what's the point of getting this one? These might be great offroad, but about 2% of the market (if that) will ever take it offroad. (Like most SUVs). The market is shrinking back from larger automobiles, and in a separate thread you mentioned that if we are at or past peak oil, you would be little affected by it, I think this would cause you to be somewhat MORE affected by it (in addition to the truck you already own).

Personally, if I lived outside of town, I'd probably own a pickup like you do for work and offroad reasons, and then a small car to get me around for general purposes.

But hey, again..that's me and my lifestyle, I guess, is a LOT different. I have a car (Grand Am), but 99 out of 100 days, I drive a bicycle :)

shit that c mment is the shit...i may use it on another site, but they banned me...hehe

dbuzz

Veteran
wranglers are the baddest off road vehicles out there. yer under estimating a heavy bigfoot with slim 33 inch tires. sometimes it does spin on snow but you won't get stuck. i don't think i've ever gotten completely stuck in my jeep. they always wiggle out.

check out some of these classifieds. some of them are mean green machines. http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/classified.html

or you could throw some of these bad boys on something... http://mattracks.com/ :laughing:

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Landcruisers are the best offroad vehicles by a country mile, but, think about it....if you are even a half decent grower you need a 80/100/Amazon series 6 cylinder biggie just to fit your harvests in..... ;-)

REZDOG

Veteran
Subaru Foresters....lmao....get one,have bull-dyke lesbians follow you home....Veddy Niiiiice! :D

S

Space Ghost

i've got a '76 jeep cj7, hard top. Kicks some serious ass when going to my guerilla plot (although I got ripped... again...)