What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

moose eater

Years ago, I provided services for batterers, mostly men. Thereby I had routine interactions with the court, though often indirectly. Nonetheless the local judge(s) knew who I was and the work I did.

I asked a local superior court judge in a smaller, industrialized, cushy, well-to-do rural community one day about the unconstitutional recriminalization the 1975 Ravin Decision, questions about the obviously unconstitutional recriminalization effort that had occurred via a simple ballot initiative in 1990, thereby -pretending- to undo a State Supreme Court case precedent from 1975 that had been an interpretation of Article 1, Section 22 of the State's constitution, involving the 'Right of Privacy', which Ravin had relied on, with our 'side' being victorious, and never having been overturned.. (Then-Chief Justice Rabinowitz, after whom the Fairbanks Courthouse is named...)

Most legal students, let alone scholars, know that a constitutional right can't be undone by simple majority opinion or vote... ever.
To add insult to injury, the State Office of Children's Services (OCS, previously DFYS) had been using the illegal recriminalization statute to remove children, even in some cases where proper parental care was not in question... merely the presence of cannabis or parental use of cannabis, or horticulture, etc..

As a long-time drug policy reformer and licensed mental health clinician in that town, who didn't hide my views or knowledge, even in fairly small towns and having been a guest speaker on various radio stations on the subject including local public radio in that town and Statewide, as well as articles and quotes in newspapers, I asked the Judge his opinion.

He wouldn't even discuss potential opinions with me, despite our knowing each other through my professional work, and my having no related business with the court on that matter, merely due to the possibility that such questions MIGHT (and later did) come before the State courts.

(*'We' eventually won in 2001, with the State Appellate Court hearing the case, affirming Ravin, and the State Supreme Court refusing to re-hear the case... Winning via the David Noy case out of North Pole, Alaska, with Attorney William Satterberg, who, ironically and humorously, ended up on the cover of High Times Magazine as a result..... Bill's a good man, an excellent criminal defense attorney, but definitely not in line with Free Wheelin' Franklin... or the Furry Freak Brothers).

As stated, I had no cases related to this issue before the court when inquired with the judge, though I was a board member on a State Chapter's board for a nationally known civil rights/liberties organization at that time..

The Judge's staunch professional ethics demanded that he not discuss the potentiality of cases or legal theory where any case MIGHT exist, lest he compromise his neutrality as a good judge.

Alito, Thomas, and many others could learn a lesson or 2 from such folks. But the SCOTUS has become their own monster nearly exclusively, and their sole authority, thus corrupted due to there being no enforceable ethics hanging over them. Completely in charge of themselves, more or less.

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

They won't ever accept it, but when this Country goes up in smoke, the SCOTUS will be responsible for lighting at least a portion of that proverbial fuse.

Gry

Veteran
"An abundance of caution. A standard ignored by our Supreme Court, which at this point is more
a tribute to the power of corruption than anything else.

Cannavore

Veteran
buried in these reports that i saw was a little blurb about how they used ports to smuggle cocaine and weapons for these groups as well lol. ill see if i can find it when i have more time.

Gry

Veteran
buried in these reports that i saw was a little blurb about how they used ports to smuggle cocaine and weapons for these groups as well lol. ill see if i can find it when i have more time.

The Monroe Doctrine being a 101 years old, and when one factors in the original, now described as "historical" usage of the term "Filibuster"...

buzzmobile

Veteran
The Monroe Doctrine being a 101 years old, and when one factors in the original, now described as "historical" usage of the term "Filibuster"...
I wonder how many deaths that $38 million bought?

"The cost of doing business..."

Gry

Veteran
I wonder how many deaths that $38 million bought?

"The cost of doing business..."
A shameful and disgusting inheritance.
God only knows how many years of such business practices yet they are given
the corporate equal of a slap on the wrist.
Can't help but think the bastards welcomed and celebrated the decision.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts