What's new

Tom Hill Haze

mudballs

I found a peer reviewed study once about pollen storage. They dessicated it with 95f heat, lab oven im guessing...then froze it. I did it and lost alot of viability, idk what's right way if that fkt up on me.

mudballs

3+yr old Jungleboys Florida Strawberries done to study specs...cut w/ desiccated flour...no clue if it will work...don't have FS seeds anymore anyway...vial contents are still soft fluffy when you rotate or tilt them...they just look clumpy from gravity

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240924-060802_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240924-060802_Gallery.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 6

OldCoolSativa

It’s important to collect and process pollen in low dew point conditions. High humidity guarantees lumpy, ineffective pollen. I wait for the cool, crisp, dry autumn weather to collect pollen. I use rice to keep it desiccated in vials, and I put the rice into a 250 °F oven to dry it out beforehand.

mudballs

I wouldn’t do rice grains, and i think now i would not cut w/ flour for storage if i do it again...moisture is enemy...moving any moisture in vessel to a rice grain is still moisture in container.

mudballs

I bet that's the answer and we all been spinning wheels for decades lol..i can hear some old grandma learning me up..."just vacuum seal it youngin!"

JustGrowing420

Effervescent tablet bottles have desiccant fixed on the lid if it hasn't been mentioned, to prevent them from dissolving with moisture, that's what I use mostly plus its airtight by itself, perfect combo.

Also Silica balls in the pollen container could work, maybe?

led05

Chasing The Present
I just used some I've had in the freezer for about a year and it does not look like it worked.
Must not have been dried properly, also if being used within 3 years or so fridges are safer bet as freezers can cause freezer burn & some have defrost cycles; huge key is properly drying

Was pollen dried before freezing ? Or from a reversal or a line known for sterility issues ?
Fresh sifted and then frozen from several thh males.
And there in lies the issue, has to be completely dry - my vase water dries up, the male flower arms dry up, it sits on the glass normally for weeks as I intentionally forget about it as I know it needs to be bone dry - collecting during winter inside a dry home always easier but not always when it’s ready
Five years fridge, that’s impressive. Dried?
Here I was thinking a few weeks was excessive.
Here I was thinking 3 years in the desk drawer was more impressive than 5 in the fridge - it’s all about properly drying it

I have had better luck with drying material before freezing, but I have seen people swear by the fresh frozen route. And sometimes I have thought pollen didn't take but surprised to find it did.
Best luck with future pollinations 👍
Unequivocally drying is better than fresh frozen; we’re talking about pollen not bubble hash right :)

Pollen must be completely DRY - if it doesn’t still cloud up & take to air when you open those bags it’s gotten moisture and viability falls off a cliff
I dry for a week before freezing, haven't tried it after a long freeze though. I tried adding rice but it made the pollen lose it's powdery feel. won't be adding rice again :p
I used to add a desiccant (like rice) but then realized I was just complicating things and wasn’t certain rice was as DRY as I expected or needed it to be…

After you play with pollen a bit & you experience what completely dry pollen is like, how it behaves you intuitively know when it’s good, or less than - it should fly airborne with almost no efforts at all and make you start sneezing up a storm

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
It’s important to collect and process pollen in low dew point conditions. High humidity guarantees lumpy, ineffective pollen. I wait for the cool, crisp, dry autumn weather to collect pollen. I use rice to keep it desiccated in vials, and I put the rice into a 250 °F oven to dry it out beforehand.
All great advice; I stopped using little vials years ago though as it’s easier to get all air out tiny baggies vs tiny vials - air equals moisture but seems you have that covered by using known fully dried out rice…

Last edited: