What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Déjà vu ...​

IMG_20240916_225614.jpg

Wolverine97

Veteran
At the moment I can only think of destroyer, oldtimer haze x thai, Golden tiger, others cross from ace, mama thai, Thunk, fruity Juice ....a lot of people here and in others forum did a lot of cross with Thai....
There was a phenomenal pheno of Juicy Fruit floating around central/lower Michigan for years, around 2000-2010 or so. But I haven't seen it since. That was such incredibly nice herb. Dead on stand in flavor for Juicy Fruit gum, 100% identical. I was mind blown the first time my guy told me the name and rolled one up. I still regret not getting my hands on that cut, I had most of his other stuff, but for some reason never grabbed that one. He also had killer pheno's of Skunk #1, SSH, and Hindu Kush. I grew the Hindu and Skunk 1 for years.

Now my wheels are turning... I need to see if anyone up there still has any of those in their possession. Anyhow, back to Haze.

mudballs

That is what i think is a columbian leaner..correct me @Bona Fortuna if im in error...i grew a THH cross and saw same structure. Tom is selecting a different direction from what i can tell...interbreeding

bigherb

Veteran
I've already read Sam's version, but what do the "Haze brothers" say, meaning where did they get the seeds from?
I think I've read something but my memory fails me...

I'm surprised that Sam or someone else hasn't sent seeds to Phylos Galaxy to have genetic data...

The 3 brothers had nothing to do with Growing Original Haze ,they were brokers from NJ attending college

One brother posted Once , check below
Screenshot_20240916_180819_Gallery.jpg

Read Sam the Skunkman's posting about the Haze Brothers with great interest and wanted to clear up a few things. First, I was there in Santa Cruz in the Seventies when it was all happening and never heard the original growers refer to themselves as the Haze Brothers. The infamous Haze Brothers did actually exist, but they were consumers, not growers.

How do I know? I was one of those three brothers and we bought, smoked and shared as much Haze as probably anyone on the planet. We were originally herb connoisseurs from back east who had grown up on the best Columbian, Jamaican, Panama Red, Thai Stick, etc. But even with our backgrounds, we had never seen, smelled or smoked anything like the Haze. The first time we saw those dark purple buds, we could hardly believe it (nor the price, which was $250 per ounce). From that point on, it became the Dom Perignon of our stashes.

So as far as the tasting test with R from High Times Magazine in New York, it did happen and we roasted, toasted and basted him with three varieties of Haze. He was kind of cocky when we got there and more like cold-cocked when we left. Even with all the high quality weed out there today, I don't think any of it is better or more exotic than the first Purple Haze, which was so dark and delicious, we called it the Root Beer.

Two last notes. First, there was a band, The Original Haze, that played in clubs around Santa Cruz in the Seventies that was part of the story. Second, for those rare few who were lucky enough to own one, there was a beautiful, limited edition grower's poster, that listed the soil ingredients, directions and Haze philosophy, In Haze We Trust. The last line of the poster read "Enjoy!" and we lived by that motto.

So that's the story behind the story.
Sometimes things are more simple then we make it

IFKYK

1luvbigherb

Bona Fortuna

Veteran
That is what i think is a columbian leaner..correct me @Bona Fortuna if im in error...i grew a THH cross and saw same structure. Tom is selecting a different direction from what i can tell...interbreeding
Honestly, I have no idea what genes are shining through with this plant, nor do I really have any inclination to do a deep dive and figure that out. It could be the Colombian from the THH or it could be an expression from the other half of the cross.
Forgive me if that’s overly blunt.

I’m quite happy just seeing this as a plant with a nice morphology, with high hopes that it finishes and smokes well.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman
"A 8-10 week Haze could be made. It would require an Original Haze that was a bit faster, crossed with a very early Sativa like my S African Durban Poison. Then select the F1's for Haze taste & smell & potency and as fast flowering as possible and make F2's. If you grow out enough F2's you will find one that is Haze but fast flowering. But it may take a few hundred or even thousands of plants to find what you really want, a fast flowering Haze"

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The 3 brothers had nothing to do with Growing Original Haze ,they were brokers from NJ attending college
So from the point Sam landed in Holland and the story of Haze really started to gain a foot hold in the Canna community that Haze was a happy accident made by grows called the Haze Brothers crossing their best sativas to make seed for the following out door gorilla grow.

To now, the Haze brothers had nothing to do with growing and were brokers that smoked.

Okay, so how many stories versions does this now make ?

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
American people talk about Thai n Columbian just like Spaniards about Morroco,and west Germany and France about Mastricht....it were places where most weed came from back in the days.
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking, CannaT.

I started to grow and smoke in the 70s unlike Europe where hash was the main staple we here smoked flower and only smoked hash here when we had no good flower to smoke, but we were always preferring flower.

The main staple of what we smoked here and grew were sativa lines like Panama Red Colombian red /Gold Thais /African /Hawaiian you name it we saw it smoked it grew it.

I don't remember ever seeing or scoring an Indian specific Sativa.

Out of all the sativas one reigned supreme and that was Thai, it was at the top of the pyramid for a reason, yes it was that good.

bigherb

Veteran
So from the point Sam landed in Holland and the story of Haze really started to gain a foot hold in the Canna community that Haze was a happy accident made by grows called the Haze Brothers crossing their best sativas to make seed for the following out door gorilla grow.

To now, the Haze brothers had nothing to do with growing and were brokers that smoked.

Okay, so how many stories versions does this now make ?
My man

It's a reunion here

YOU can Name the versions
Jesse /BH / SamS / RCC / hooteroll/ Happyhi

Do you recall the post from hooteroll it was at Mns forums , I can promise I didn't make it up

Brother why don't you invite Jesse back maybe British Hempire aswell , great trusted historians . Then we can really get the True Origins Of Haze 👍.

Remember the Haze history Article it was published by High times . Great Trusted source of information

( ALL SARCASM Newbies)

Brother it's nice to see you posting
Regarding your Haze experiences and Thai experience.

But I dont want to have this Haze conversation with you until ETERNITY. You never understood my post and always changed my words. ALL OUR dialog is still up at Mns from my Intial Respect ... to your misunderstanding , To you not comprehending
MY TRUE ORIGINS OF HAZE ARTICLE

Do you think that's a picture of me ?

What exactly would it take to convince the community of an Authentic story ?

( ALL Are welcomed to share your thoughts ?
HOW CAN WE CONCLUDE HAZE HISTORY ? )

Tell us more about the Non fruity Thai you experienced, I'm curious to know more about it . The ( insent ) Type you spoke of

1luvbigherb

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Nice to see you to bigherb hope life is treating you well, glad you guys are legal now and able to grow buy and smoke without stress. Hope one day we get that too, but I am kinda over it now, convinced we live on a different planet to the rest of you run by idiots.

Na, I have hung up the towel on debating or arguing about something none of us had any part of, that is based on a story told many decades ago that has now evolved like Chinese whispers where the story become distorted over time.

All I follow is what Sam originally posted and what Nevil told me in regard to the Haze he bought.

What I also go by is what the plant tells me over all, and I know what Thai smokes like, and I know what Colombian smokes like that's all one needs, the rest plays no role from a growers point of view.

Happy to talk Thai or anything you like in PM.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
well except he did ,
and lists golden not on the stick thai the best he has had other than haze ,
so maybe u need to read a little more and stop talking shit so much ....
indian has never measured up to thai ,
ive had plenty of it from folks travelling there and bringing back seeds ,
no where near the potency of good thai ...
i didnt mind it , but i couldnt measure it to thai ,
but of course u dont have the experience to make such judgements ,
just like talking shit to annoy older folks who do have the experience ,
pretty sad mate ,, you really need to talk about stuff you know something about ....

"Cannabis appears to have been introduced to Thailand from India, with the similarity of the Thai name to the Indian term ganja cited as evidence."

😉👌
Idukki Gold or Kerala Gold (also known as Mahadevan or Neela Chadayan) is the name given to a cannabis strain originating in Idukki in Kerala state of southern India. It is internationally renowned as one of the finest cannabis strains in Asia.[1][2][3]

I hear lots of bollocks, so here is the idukki gold story in a nutshell.
There are people who say the stash is gold, there are people who say it was wrapped with a gold ribbon and exported to another country.
For the large part, this is all repurposed bovine waste (i.e., bullshit).
From some of the biggest breeders in the world today of Cannabis seeds, with whom I share an excellent rapport (no, I will not tell you who, don't ask, but you have probably seen or heard of them - and it is not anyone from StrainHunters), this is the real scene:
In the 80s, a lot of breeders (people who cross various varieties of marijuana to result in a new generation of seeds for a specific purpose - flavour, yield, potency, etc.) were roaming around the world, looking for the seeds that make the basis of all the popular strains we know today - skunk, super silver haze, neville's haze, cheese, etc. (In India these strains are still unknown, that is a different story for another time). They scoured many countries where cannabis had been growing for centuries, from Brazil to Jamaica, from Cambodia to Thailand, from the Congo to Lebanon, from Afghanistan to India. They were surprised with the variety found in India. From the short flowering, hardy Indica leaning plants from the Hindu Kush Mountain Range to the long flowering, sativas in Karnataka; from the rain resistant monsoonal varieties of the northeast to the relatively potent and stocky plants growing in Kerala. The ones in Kerala in particular interested these breeders I'm talking about. They had extremely desirable traits. They took seeds from Kerala and used these to make their own strains, which they subsequently tested out with the local farmers on their fields. The result was immediate - in plants, when you cross two plants of the same species from two completely different, consistent genetic backgrounds, the offspring exhibit what is called hybrid vigour, which is basically the offspring generation growing far more vigourously than either of the parents. These offspring plants were far more potent than the local populace was accustomed to, given that they also had the refined genetics that these breeders brought with them from Europe. These breeders referred to Kerala as a gold mine as far as the gene pool goes. The term stuck, and eventually, the farmers themselves began to refer to the plants as gold. This term carried on to the buyers of this stash up till the mid and late 90s. What happened between '88 and '01, the breeders do not know - but when they returned to kerala in 2001, instead of being a gold mine, it was a desert as far as cannabis genetics go. Nothing noteworthy, nothing worthwhile, and that was that. What happened, we don't know - but the 'idukki gold' that used to be around has long ceased to exist.
Don't waste time searching for it. You can still find some good weed in parts of Kerala in season (jan-march), but there's a 99.9% chance it's not the idukki gold - nor anything close to it - that the region became famous for once upon a time.

Idukki gold was the only weed available across Kerala before the 1980s. It has golden brown flowers that were distinct from the leaves that remained green. It has an intense high that often induces paranoia. This was the premium "Kerala Grass" that was available in Madras and Bangalore in the 60s and 70s. Most of the weed those days were grown in the hills of Kattappana in Idukki District, hence the name. This name was probably coined by Europeans in the coffee shops of Amsterdam, where a name would be necessary to differentiate from weed on sale from other places, and not by native smokers.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
How old are you, if you don't mind me asking, CannaT.

I started to grow and smoke in the 70s unlike Europe where hash was the main staple we here smoked flower and only smoked hash here when we had no good flower to smoke, but we were always preferring flower.

The main staple of what we smoked here and grew were sativa lines like Panama Red Colombian red /Gold Thais /African /Hawaiian you name it we saw it smoked it grew it.

I don't remember ever seeing or scoring an Indian specific Sativa.

Out of all the sativas one reigned supreme and that was Thai, it was at the top of the pyramid for a reason, yes it was that good.
Ok I get it but all your information comes to you from xy pusher that told you when you were kid. You didnt travel around the world for example like Sam and see and try what actually people grew.
Its not something trustworthy 4 me but if its ok to you its ok to me 2.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

"Cannabis appears to have been introduced to Thailand from India, with the similarity of the Thai name to the Indian term ganja cited as evidence."

😉👌
Idukki Gold or Kerala Gold (also known as Mahadevan or Neela Chadayan) is the name given to a cannabis strain originating in Idukki in Kerala state of southern India. It is internationally renowned as one of the finest cannabis strains in Asia.[1][2][3]

I hear lots of bollocks, so here is the idukki gold story in a nutshell.
There are people who say the stash is gold, there are people who say it was wrapped with a gold ribbon and exported to another country.
For the large part, this is all repurposed bovine waste (i.e., bullshit).
From some of the biggest breeders in the world today of Cannabis seeds, with whom I share an excellent rapport (no, I will not tell you who, don't ask, but you have probably seen or heard of them - and it is not anyone from StrainHunters), this is the real scene:
In the 80s, a lot of breeders (people who cross various varieties of marijuana to result in a new generation of seeds for a specific purpose - flavour, yield, potency, etc.) were roaming around the world, looking for the seeds that make the basis of all the popular strains we know today - skunk, super silver haze, neville's haze, cheese, etc. (In India these strains are still unknown, that is a different story for another time). They scoured many countries where cannabis had been growing for centuries, from Brazil to Jamaica, from Cambodia to Thailand, from the Congo to Lebanon, from Afghanistan to India. They were surprised with the variety found in India. From the short flowering, hardy Indica leaning plants from the Hindu Kush Mountain Range to the long flowering, sativas in Karnataka; from the rain resistant monsoonal varieties of the northeast to the relatively potent and stocky plants growing in Kerala. The ones in Kerala in particular interested these breeders I'm talking about. They had extremely desirable traits. They took seeds from Kerala and used these to make their own strains, which they subsequently tested out with the local farmers on their fields. The result was immediate - in plants, when you cross two plants of the same species from two completely different, consistent genetic backgrounds, the offspring exhibit what is called hybrid vigour, which is basically the offspring generation growing far more vigourously than either of the parents. These offspring plants were far more potent than the local populace was accustomed to, given that they also had the refined genetics that these breeders brought with them from Europe. These breeders referred to Kerala as a gold mine as far as the gene pool goes. The term stuck, and eventually, the farmers themselves began to refer to the plants as gold. This term carried on to the buyers of this stash up till the mid and late 90s. What happened between '88 and '01, the breeders do not know - but when they returned to kerala in 2001, instead of being a gold mine, it was a desert as far as cannabis genetics go. Nothing noteworthy, nothing worthwhile, and that was that. What happened, we don't know - but the 'idukki gold' that used to be around has long ceased to exist.
Don't waste time searching for it. You can still find some good weed in parts of Kerala in season (jan-march), but there's a 99.9% chance it's not the idukki gold - nor anything close to it - that the region became famous for once upon a time.

Idukki gold was the only weed available across Kerala before the 1980s. It has golden brown flowers that were distinct from the leaves that remained green. It has an intense high that often induces paranoia. This was the premium "Kerala Grass" that was available in Madras and Bangalore in the 60s and 70s. Most of the weed those days were grown in the hills of Kattappana in Idukki District, hence the name. This name was probably coined by Europeans in the coffee shops of Amsterdam, where a name would be necessary to differentiate from weed on sale from other places, and not by native smokers.
yea , what ever mate ,
as i said i knew folks who went to india , a whole bunch of the folks where i lived used to travel there and bring back seed ,
none of it was better than thai ,
i dont need you to confirm that , i know it myself , as do others with a lot more credibility than you have , in fact , you have none that im aware of ...
I spent a few years hanging out with an indian guy too , Old Vijay Korana ,
he share many stories about the gunja , the hashish , and all manner of other stories ,
he kinda seemed like a bit of a bullshit artist as many of the stories were way out there and unbelievable ,

one time he told us how they had shot a tiger and it was laying on the ground , he thought dead ,
but when he got to it it started to get up , he turned to run and it got him down the back with its last breath and its front paw ,
i figured it was just another one of his stories , until he took off his shirt , and he had definitely been clawed by a tiger down his back ,, deep dark , wide claw marks that covered most of his back , one swipe ....

just because india and thailand have a similar name for their pot , doesnt mean it came from the same place btw , if it did , the thais did better with it than the indians ,
but im for their stuff coming with them from yunnan province in china ...